Author Topic: Nicole Morin: Missing (Toronto, 1985)  (Read 142128 times)

Sleuth

Re: Nicole Morin: Missing (Toronto, 1985)
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2012, 01:47:03 AM »
here's something new, from Cal Millar's new book:

- Eight-year-old Nicole Louise Morin was on her way to meet a friend in an Etobicoke apartment building lobby when she vanished around 11 a.m. July 30, 1985.

She was dressed in a bathing suit and was carrying a towel. One of her shoes was found in the building's elevator.

"That was a horrendous case," Millar said. "My daughter was the same age; they actually shared the same birthday, and my daughter played in the re-enactment that was created for television."

One of Nicole's shoes was found in the elevator? That's new.

Modifying this to say.........Ooops, forgot to put the link in from the Toronto's Metroland newspapers: http://www.insidetoronto.com/print/1284440
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:59:34 AM by Sleuth »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2012, 05:18:47 AM »
That is the first time I have heard about the shoe in the elevator too.  So, that leads me to believe, that yes, Nicole did make it to the elevator, she didn't go missing from the hallway.   But, then what?   How does one remove a child from the apartment building without being noticed?   I would assume Nicole must have struggled, if one shoe was left on the elevator.
Very puzzling.

Sleuth

« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2012, 11:01:33 AM »
I understand what you are saying jobo, but then again the newspaper's did say that a woman from the 17? floor rode down the elevator with Nicole and saw her walk into the lobby, or through the lobby before continuing on down to the garage where her car was parked. A head scratcher that. I wonder who the journalist(s) were who wrote the articles for the newspaper when Nicole disappeared?

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2012, 11:56:08 AM »
Well....then I am thinking:  I cannot believe the woman that supposedly went down the elevator with Nicole did not see her shoe left behind when they exited.   And why would Nicole leave a shoe behind and not retrieve it if all was well?

What if:  Yes, Nicole and the woman rode down the elevator, but Nicole went/was forced back on it by the Perp and taken to an Apt. or Service Room in the Apartment Building? 
What if:  Nicole had forgotten something and went back on the elevator to quickly go back to her apartment?  And the Perp followed her on? 

For some reason, I have always been of the belief that Nicole did NOT leave the building that day.  And was murdered somewhere in that building, just not removed until much later, when the heat was off.

Sleuth

« Reply #184 on: January 27, 2012, 12:37:49 AM »
Either that or the woman was mistaken about the child she rode down in the elevator with. There are 3 elevators in the building.

I have some other newspaper stuff to put up and as soon as I figure out how to do it I'll put them up. I noticed Cal Millar was the journalist of most of the articles written for The star. So I guess he knows what he is talking about with the shoe being found in one of the elevators.

Sleuth

« Reply #185 on: January 27, 2012, 12:53:08 AM »
Let me know if this link works and if the picture is clear along with the article..

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 27, 2012, 01:39:44 AM »
Good to see you back in full form Sleuth.  You were missed!!

JB

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2012, 05:11:17 AM »
Thanks for the link with the picture.   
Interesting fact I didn't know:  Relatives from Northern Ontario that had visited before Nicole's disappearance, in fact they took the picture.  Obviously been cleared, but I just don't recall ever reading about the relatives.

Sleuth, do you think Nicole left the building that day?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 05:48:38 AM by jobo »

Sleuth

« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2012, 12:11:23 PM »
Thanks Jellybean.   ;)  I did have kind of an inkling that Nicole made it out side. From what the woman in the elevator said, IF this is so. Watching Nicole walk across the lobby.  "walk across the lobby". Nicole's friend waited for her, for approximately 15/ 20 minutes. Nicole's friend watched the elevator doors open and close and no one got off. That narrows down the time span. A 15 to 20 minute time span, if either Nicole was early and didn't wait (why would she not wait, as her friend did for her?) or Nicole was early and encountered someone in the lobby. Or Nicole did go outside, using the front doors as a exit route.  On the North side is a little Tuck shop, still there, set back from the road, (the road is a dead end with a very wide turn around) set beside Nicole's building. Did she have money and decided to buy chips, pop or candy for her and her friend to take to the pool? We would have heard, or read if she had done so by a clerk in the store, ( I presume we would have heard, unless it's like the shoe, popping up years later). Or Nicole could have gone out the lobby and walked, south, taking the long way around to the pool. But why would she do that? To walk all the way around the building to the pool without waiting for her friend? If for some reason Nicole did decide to not wait for her friend but took the South route, she would have had to cross the 'Visitor's parking' to get to the pool. Which would be almost straight down the middle of parked guest cars. If the shoe was left behind, and Cal Millar is a very well respected criminal journalist, probably with inside information, he has now chosen to reveal about the shoe. Which then makes us all ask more questions.  If the shoe was left in the elevator, does that mean Nicole was lifted up and held against her will? Making one shoe fall off as she kicked? And then the elevator went straight down to the parking garage. If so, this means that the kidnapper lived in the building. Since the basement parking is for tenants only, unless a visitor used a relative, friend  et al parking spot. I've asked Cal Millar a couple of questions. He hasn't answered yet, if he doesn't in the next few days, I'll ask again, he is a busy man right now working on his next book about Russel Williams.

Sleuth

« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2012, 12:16:43 PM »
In this article it shows a picture of a smiling Nicole sitting down wearing the same shoes which she was last seen wearing. Nicole certainly was a pretty little girl. Her sparkling personality leaps out. And she's always smiling.

Sleuth

« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2012, 12:23:07 PM »
Here in this article of September 17, 1986 it talks about another blitz at the apartment complex and new information surfacing which takes the case in a new direction. I wish I knew how to upload these articles which appear in the post and then when clicked on just enlarge?

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2012, 12:24:32 PM »
What if Nicole was too early for the friend, and had walked across the lobby as the woman says....but decided to turn around and jump back on the elevator to perhaps get something she forgot, or to ask for some money for the store?  No one but Nicole would know that fact....but I do wonder if that is what transpired.
She got back on the Elevator, but at that point was followed, or the Perp was already on it and didn't disembark....just stayed in the Elevator when Nicole got back on.   That is why her shoe was left on the Elevator, she was grabbed the second time she got on.  Either taken to an apartment, boiler room etc.  Or taken down to the underground parking and wisked away. 

I do think someone in that building has held the answers all these years.  I would love to be able to do a Up to Date Criminal Check on all residents from that building from 1985, just to see what these people have been up to.  If any of them have been up to anything worth looking into more.               My opinion only.

OOps, typing at the same time!

Sleuth

« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »
It certainly is quite possible Jobo. Every time new info pops up there are more questions than answers. Frustrating isn't it.

Sleuth

« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2012, 12:34:40 PM »
 Here is an article where Nicole's mother thinks Nicole was held in the building somewhere for a length of time.

Logical

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2012, 02:39:48 PM »
Hello, I am reasonably new here, have visited a number of times but only registered today. I recently took some PI training classes and our instructor was a former Toronto Police Officer, he referenced this case when discussing undercover operations.  I cannot recall all of the details he shared but he did say that they believe they know who took Nicole, they had him under surveillance within 5 days of her disappearance and watched him 24x7 for more than a month, LE could not get any concrete evidence to arrest, the undercover agent even point blank told the suspect he was the prime suspect and the suspect responded with only these words "But they do not have a body"! At this point they felt he was the sole suspect as he did not ask why or defend himself he just smirked with his response. The surveillance ended then and they just hope to get a new lead or some one locates her remains. Sorry I cannot remember if he said the name of the suspect but he lived in the building and had his own Graphics company.

I would believe that the Morin family is aware of this information and this may be the reason that Mrs. Morin feels that she was in the bldg for a long period of time, as he was a resident.