Author Topic: Nicole Morin: Missing (Toronto, 1985)  (Read 141447 times)

AlbertaCowboy

• View Profile
Nicole Morin: Missing (Toronto, 1985)
« on: April 04, 2007, 06:53:37 PM »
Nicole Louise Morin

Missing since July 30, 1985
Toronto, Ontario
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: April 1, 1977
Age at Time of Disappearance: 8 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'0; 51 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: Morin has a birthmark on the right side of her forehead and protruding ears. She has pierced ears.
Clothing: She was wearing a peach, one pieced bathing suit with colored stripes on the front, a green headband, red canvas shoes, and was carrying a peach colored blanket and a purple beach towel.
Dentals: Gap between her front teeth.

Circumstances of Disappearance

:
On July 30th, Nicole left her mother?s penthouse apartment in The West Mall, in Toronto's Etobicoke area, and vanished. There has been no trace of the 8 year old girl who was likely abducted moments after leaving the apartment in the Highway 427 and Rathburn Road area.

At 10:30am Nicole had gone to the lobby of the twenty story apartment building to pick up the mail. She returned to the apartment and got ready to go swimming with a playmate. Before leaving the apartment Nicole had spoken to a friend through the building's intercom and promised to be right down.

The playmate waited about 15 minutes before buzzing the apartment again to find out why Nicole hadn't arrived. The two girls had arranged to meet in the lobby and go to a supervised swimming pool at the rear of the building.
About 11:00am Nicole said goodbye to her mother and left the apartment. No one has seen the girl since she closed the apartment door and walked into the penthouse hallway.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Nicole Morin: Missing (Toronto, 1985)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 02:35:10 AM »
Was this the case where the wrong guy was busted and served time for?

AlbertaCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 03:26:18 PM »
Was this the case where the wrong guy was busted and served time for?

the murder you are referring to was the Christine Jessop case.  Guy Paul Morin was convicted, and later acquitted of murdering her.  He was awarded $10 million for his wrongful conviction and incarceration.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 11:49:05 PM »
Didn't the prosecution sort of 'know' he was innocent but they withheld some information or something? I think that police\prosecutors who knowingly send an innocent person to jail should be sent to jail themselves.

AlbertaCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 01:37:13 PM »
Didn't the prosecution sort of 'know' he was innocent but they withheld some information or something? I think that police\prosecutors who knowingly send an innocent person to jail should be sent to jail themselves.

No, they did not know he was innocent.  They were so convinced he was guilty that they withheld evidence from the defense attorneys.  You should read "Redrum the Innocent".  It wil probably be available at your local library, and is one of the best books written about wrongful convictions...

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 02:14:32 PM »
Thanks, I was going to the Library today anyway. I will see if they have that book, order it if they do not.

crital

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 11:43:32 AM »
I knew Nicole Morin when I was younger she lived in Amherst NS for a few years!! She was my best friend. I can't believe her mom let her go to the pool alone!! She was barley never able to go alone in Amherst!! They had just moved from a very small town (Amherst) !! Something is weird!! The way the left Amherst was weird to!! I can't believe that she left the apartment 10 mins earlier than her friend called to ask where she was!!  Come on Mom it doesn't take 15 min to get to the bottom of the building!!
This is a weird case!! Bring in a physic and I bet we will be shocked!! I have Called RCMP  and they have never gotten back to me!!
I hope one day she is found!! I think of her ALL the time !! Miss you Nicole !

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 11:40:24 PM »
Hi Crital, thanks for writing. I am very sorry about your friend. I guess she has not been found. Is there a site with the details of this case? It does seem odd that a mother would let a 7 year old girl walk around the city alone like that. Was mother the last to see her?

WHen you say that you called the RCMP and they never called back, is that because you have some info to offer them? I think the Toronto Police would be in charge of this as Etobiko is now part of Toronto.

I'll see what I can find about this case, if we could get more info that would be great. Thanks Crital.

Bucke Bleichert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 11:41:57 PM »
To be fair to Nicole's mother, she was operating a daycare from her apartment and had several children to take care of including a couple of babies....She could not even go to look for her daughter herself until all the children had been picked up....Nicole's father was on a delivery run to Peterborough for a dry cleaner.

Thanks for letting me jump in with my 2 cents worth. I'm getting all my details from Toronto Star Archives which goes back to 1885, the year of the abduction....

Interesting forgotten developments in the case:
Confession by Lovie "Interstate Man" Riddle who was arrested in Maine for assaulting a woman--interesting because Nicole's apartment is by the 427.....And how many people falsly confess to child abduction? Police ruled him out for conflicting statements....

A note written by Nicole in school saying she was "going to disappear". Police said it was a child's imagination.

Art Nicole's theory that someone from his church took his daughter because of the court battles with his wife over money and that his daughter went along with it....Right now, I think this theory holds the key to Nicole's fate....which is why I'm trying to find the details of this theory....

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 04:45:19 AM »
Very interesting, thanks for the input. It is true that lots of weirdos do confess to these things. That is one reason police probably hold back some evidence. It would not suprise me at all if the police have a really good suspect but are short on proof. I hope this case gets solved one day, it would be very nice.

Bucke Bleichert

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 12:18:23 PM »
It would not suprise me at all if the police have a really good suspect but are short on proof.
The burden of proof is too great nowadays, you're right. And there's too much dependence on DNA....
Police claimed to have narrowed the suspect list to one or two people and were supposedly a couple of weeks away from solving the case. A suspect may have worked near the airport and the police, "following a lead", searched the ravine on the west side of Pearson International only 3 miles from Nicole's apartment. They found a black jacket and black pants in a bag and a newspaper dated the day after the disappearance with Nicole on the cover....

Art Morin acted on a tip from psychic Alfred Ward and had a party search a wooded area of East Oakville without finding anything.

I'm interested in the report of a slender blond woman dressed in white with a notebook standing at the end of the hall on Nicole's floor, 40 minutes prior to the disappearance. She never turned up in the investigation....Why would a stranger be on the 20th floor penthouse with a notebook at 10:30 in the morning?

Youtube has a re-enactment of the disappearance. It mentions that some witnesses say Nicole did make it down the elevator. They claim she was seen in the lobby and outside. Obviously in that case, she took her time coming down, more than half an hour even, and maybe had no intention of keeping her rendezvous with her friend to go swimming. That's one of the reasons I'm interested in Art's theory that someone took her to harbour her from family troubles....But maybe I'm biased in favour of a happier outcome....

« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 04:10:42 PM by Bucke Bleichert »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 01:22:08 PM »
Here is the clip.

[youtube=425,350]2HievAQhXhw[/youtube]

Bucke Bleichert

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 03:39:47 PM »
Thanks for posting the re-enactment. Too bad they don't have the whole show. Maybe GTA's Most Wanted will repeat it. (The actor looked about 4 years older and a foot taller though.)

I don't think they mentioned that Nicole went down to pick up mail at 10:30 or so. That was the same time the suspicious woman with the notebook was seen at the end of the hall on her floor. The witness came forward with this information when residents were re-interviewed:

The woman was white, about 35 years old, 5 foot, 5-7 inches tall, slender, very fair, dark blond, shoulder-length hair parted on the left,
She was wearing a white skirt with black pattern, a white or cream-colored, short-sleeved blouse open at the neck and white or cream colored high-heeled shoes....
She wasn't Karla Homolka because she didn't meet Paul Bernardo until 1987, two years later....

Nicole's father hired a PI and traveled to the US with him. He obviously wasn't chasing a pedophile. He was tracking either relatives or friends or people from his church. He had an "insider" theory, irregular as it seems.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 04:29:34 PM by Bucke Bleichert »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 06:54:35 PM »
INteresting. If a woman was involved, I wonder what the motive is and if it is possible Nicole is still alive?

Bucke Bleichert

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 11:14:24 PM »
Holding a notebook will, of course, give someone an excuse to keep their head down and not show their face. Although police did circulate a composite of the woman....
With 20 floors, it's 20:1, she'd be standing there at the right time....And highly suspicious that she didn't come forward in a highly publicized newstory....

By coincidence ??? or intuition, I happened to have rented Dark Waters last week. Anyone seen it? The ghost of a girl that disappeared haunts an apartment. A lot of the action happens on an elevator....