Author Topic: Shelly Anne Bacsu | May 3, 1983 | 16 | Missing | Hinton | HOT Probe  (Read 40666 times)

D1

Re: Shelly Anne Bacsu | May 3, 1983 | 16 | Missing | Hinton | HOT Probe
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2009, 01:21:41 AM »
Alder just recently posted the sketch and if the Pictons hadn't been on the news so much, this connection would never have come up. It is fresh info to most everyone including law enforcement. A cold case investigation is probably in order. They will need more than just this to proceed but who knows where this could lead.. its a start and with a few more coroberating details..there is a chance. Unidentified DNA still exists from the Picton investigation and if Shelly still has living relatives, it's worth a try..Perhaps someone in that vicinity could relay this to the local RCMP with a request for a cold case investigation?

IrishMist

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 08:28:02 AM »
Shelly Anne is my cousin.  I still remember the Christmas before she went missing - it would be the last time we saw her.  In regards to the questions on if our family thinks that she is a runaway - the answer is no.  Not once did we consider that she had ran away.  Having my own child now makes me think of my cousin almost everyday and makes me want to protect him even more.  It took my aunt many years before she would accept that fact that Shelly Anne was gone and would never come back home. We have all accepted the fact that she is dead.  To give us all the closure we need  we would like to find out what happened to her and where her body may now be.  In reading the posts on here I can honestly say this is the first time I have heard Picktons name as possibly involved in her disappearance.  As far as the van - it ended up being a dead lead as the RCMP found out that the van had been recently painted in a field near Hinton a day or two after my cousin disappeared.  There were 3 men involved in her disappearance and several witnesses to her kidnapping - unfortunately nothing has come of any of the leads. 

D1

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 12:04:42 PM »
Hello irish mist, Do you know if any of the witnesses are still around? Anyway to have them see the pictures left on here?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 01:35:30 PM by D1 »

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 01:02:32 PM »
Irishmist  Hello and welcome

I am shocked to hear about her abduction being seen by several people. I always thought she dissapeared on her way home and no one saw it!

If you could or would add any other info here it would help us all brainstorm.  It's been far to long for justice for Shelly.

Alder

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 03:47:04 PM »

D1

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 01:30:56 AM »
Nothing new has really come up in Shelly's case for over 25 years, I can imagine this is a bit of a shock for her family to contemplate.

Indeed many questions still exist! The names added to the list of hwot victims were supposedly due to similarities being found linking them to others in a manner not previously identified as such. Whatever that was in regard to Shelly has not been released as far as i know. It is soo eerily suspicious seeing the sketch and photo together knowing now what was happening with and around those people. And with Shelly being added to the hwot list, even more so... Remember how hard it was to get the police to investigate the Vancouver missing womens cases?

Answers are needed!! What happened to this investigation?

D1

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2009, 03:28:08 PM »
Des may have hit on the reason for Shelly being added to the HOT.
Also there was the skull found northern BC some years ago that Prosecution wanted admitted to evidence in Willy pictons trial. This is perhaps a link to the northern part of BC and the HOT.

If this holds true, then the Pictons are already suspects and the police may already know what we have only recently discovered...

Irish Mist has confirmed that the RCMP have Shelly's DNA. It would only seem prudent to proceed to the DNA testing phase if it has not yet been done. There maybe a body waiting to be identified, as well as a killer waiting to be caught..

Lindsey's Law, a website that pushes for new DNA legislation has pointed out the disturbing numbers of unidentified bodies here in Canada's "body bank". Hundreds of our missing persons have already been found and "tucked away" just waiting for identification.
http://www.lindseyslaw.com/index.php

I understand how troubling this may be for the family like opening an old wound, but this may well be the last and only chance for some sort of closure in our life time and who knows, maybe even justice!

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 03:45:48 PM by D1 »

Alder

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2009, 07:36:30 PM »
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php/topic,2215.msg18125.html#msg18125

By KEVIN CRUSH, SUN MEDIA   October 20, 2008

The recent killing of an Edson teen brings back horrible memories for a mom whose 16-year-old daughter went missing in the nearby Hinton area 25 years ago.

"It's very sad that these guys are not getting caught. They're just doing it over and over and getting away with it," said Muriel Bacsu.

Her daughter, Shelly Anne Bacsu, was last seen walking down Highway 16 near her Hinton home on May 3, 1983.

Articles of her clothing were later found near the Athabasca River, leading police to believe foul play was involved.

When Bacsu heard about the killing of 14-year-old Emily Stauffer on Sept. 27 in Edson as she walked along a trail, Bacsu's heart went out to the girl's parents.

"Her parents are like us. They'll never see her graduate. They'll never see her marry. They'll never see her become a mother," said Bacsu.

"They'll never see any of those moments because somebody chose to take them, and who has a right to do that?"

Bacsu said she follows cases like that of killers Robert Pickton or Thomas Svekla.

In those court cases, the victims were involved in prostitution but Bacsu said killers may not only target street women.

In northern British Columbia, the RCMP list 18 - and some fear the number could be closer to 34 - women of all walks of life who have gone missing along the so-called Highway of Tears.

Bacsu believes whoever might have harmed her daughter was from the Hinton area at some point and likely knew the area.

There has been no information on Shelly Anne's disappearance and until this summer Bacsu hadn't heard from the RCMP in 15 years.

Three months ago, police contacted her for DNA samples. They told her it was just to keep the samples on file in case a match was ever found.

While a quarter-century has passed, Bacsu still believes she will one day find Shelly Anne alive or at least find out what happened to her.

"My greatest hope is that I don't have to go to my grave not knowing what happened to my daughter," she said.

"I do believe the Lord will let us know when the time is right."

D1

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2009, 11:56:32 PM »
Ahh, atta go Adrian! Perhaps Shelly's mom wouldn't be all that adverse to our conversation afterall and we are the ones playing catch up.

Bacsu said she follows cases like that of killers Robert Pickton or Thomas Svekla.

In those court cases, the victims were involved in prostitution but Bacsu said killers may not only target street women.

Re; the third person in the van..If the other two were the Pictons (b.C. plates) it is relatively easy for LE to check on vehicles registered to them at the time. The unidentified third person may be the link to the Hinton area. Do the Pictons have relatives or associates in the area?

from Shelly's mom
Bacsu believes whoever might have harmed her daughter was from the Hinton area at some point and likely knew the area

I have not found a sketch or any description of the third person seen in the van.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 12:14:47 AM by D1 »

D1

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2009, 12:44:57 PM »
If a real and proper investigation is underway, I can understand wanting to keep some of the details a little quieter. If not, I agree with you Irish Mist. There was already a documentary, those witnesses are a potential source of embarrasment to the RCMP as well if none of this is followed up on. (again) I see nothing wrong with just mentioning in general that there are witnesses to the abduction.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 04:55:25 PM »
Mentioning witness's and the name of the film is OK... but I don't thikn it would be wise to post actual names.

Is it possible that someone can PM me the deatils of this documentary... it seems the post Irish Mist (I think) posted is gone.

Chris

IrishMist

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2009, 12:27:32 PM »
I sent you what info I have on it Chris.

IrishMist

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2009, 01:26:53 PM »
Ok here we go again.  There were eyewitnesses to my cousins kidnapping.  There was a older couple who seen it as well as 2 individual men.  She was walking along the highway on her way home and the van pulled over - there were 2 men in the front and one in the back that pulled her into the van.  The documentary was called Where is Shelly or Where is Shelly Anne.  It was done on on either CBC or CTV - im thinking about 15 years ago - maybe a little longer. They had a girl protraying my cousin and they reinacted the kidnapping and the time leading up to it and about the search after.  They interviewed my aunt, uncle and cousin Tim.  One of my other cousins were there and helped in the search but he wasnt there when they did the interview.  They also interviewed my cousins boyfriend at that time.  The documentary also includes information about the van that was seen, the 3 men in the van, and that there was a van painted in a field outside Hinton.I have googled trying to find information on the documentary but havent been able to find anything.  If anyone finds it I would be interested in getting a copy.  In regards to the post that my aunt got some prank phone calls - yes that is true - some people can be very cruel - I dont know the particulars of the phone call tho.

D1

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2009, 01:32:45 PM »
Excellent Irish Mist. I know that the CBC has an archives department but they require a fairly accurate date and charge a fee.