Author Topic: Shelly Anne Bacsu | May 3, 1983 | 16 | Missing | Hinton | HOT Probe  (Read 38981 times)

Alder

• View Profile
Re: Shelly Anne Bacsu | May 3, 1983 | 16 | Missing | Hinton | HOT Probe
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2013, 01:45:35 AM »
A lot of details in this long May 2, 2013 article at the link below, very interesting read:

http://hintonvoice.com/breathing-life-into-year-search-for-bacsu-p2317-73.htm

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2013, 08:32:25 AM »
This article is taken from the link provided above (thanks Alder). 

Breathing life into 30-year search for Bacsu

http://hintonvoice.com/breathing-life-into-year-search-for-bacsu-p2317-73.htm

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2013, 01:24:34 PM »
So Shelly  Anne Bascu is added to the list of being potentially identified as being the remains found around Hinton, that we were so "excited about" - thinking of Ms. Stewart or the McCann's.  The last I read, these bones were historical.
30 years would place them in the historical category IMO

I wonder how long it will take to identify them - or exclude them from the list of the above.

This is the first time I have read about Shelly Anne and it gave me sickening chills.

God Bless Mrs. Bascu.

jb

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2013, 04:23:44 PM »
So Shelly  Anne Bascu is added to the list of being potentially identified as being the remains found around Hinton, that we were so "excited about" - thinking of Ms. Stewart or the McCann's.  The last I read, these bones were historical.
30 years would place them in the historical category IMO

I wonder how long it will take to identify them - or exclude them from the list of the above.

This is the first time I have read about Shelly Anne and it gave me sickening chills.

God Bless Mrs. Bascu.

jb

It doesn't appear the remains are those of Shelly. Medical Examiner's office says they are "historical in nature" and male.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2018, 12:28:56 AM »
This is about Alberta's Historical Homicide Unit.

They are featuring Shelley

Standing at RCMP K Division Headquarters in Edmonton last Wednesday, an investigator held up a tiny grey jacket. It was obviously dated; dirt caked around its edges, blue pen marks, rips and tears and most notably, a red evidence tag on its zipper.
Inside the pocket was a library card that helped police identify its owner back in 1983.
Her name was Shelly-Ann Bacsu.
The 16-year-old left her friend?s house in Hinton, Alta. more than 30 years ago. She was walking the seven kilometres home but never arrived.

More than three decades later, Bacsu?s family and police are still looking for answers.
?It?s a case that is still open,? Zazulak said. ?It has been worked and reviewed and had different techniques applied to [it] over the years and we continue to do that today.?
Bacsu?s case is one of 237 unsolved murders in the province of Alberta.

?The development of a database of different footwear has helped us over time,? Zazulak said. ?The more cases we submit to those databases, over time, the more robust and useful the databases become.?

New information is crucial. Zazulak believes someone out there knows something about what
happened to all 237 of the victims and they need that information to bring families closure.

?We all have, deep down, that sense of right and wrong,? Zazulak said.
?Over the passage of time, I think it really weighs on a person,? he added. ?There comes a time when people want to move forward in their lives and I think now is the time for that.?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:39:13 AM by jellybean »

George Fayne

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2018, 05:12:14 PM »
When I first read about Shelly Anne, my brain lit up.  "David," a convicted killer from the London, Ontario area, came to mind.  In 1972, he was convicted in the 1966 murder of a teenage waitress, and released on parole in 1982.  After his release, he acquired a trucking licence that enabled him to drive long haul.

Here's why "David" came to mind:

• While he was convicted in one murder, he is widely believed to have killed three other teenage women in the London area (Jackie English, Lynda White, Soroya O'Connell.)  All of the victims in question were lured or possibly forced into a car when walking home alone at night.
  • After killing the waitress, David scattered her clothes across the country side.
  • He also placed a weird phone call to the victim's family.
  • He is believed to have killed Jackie English.  As in the case of the waitress, Jackie's clothes were found scattered across the countryside, over a span of at least 20 km.
  • He left Jackie's pencil case in front of the English family's residence.  At that point, they no longer lived in the home, but, clearly he obtained their address from a phone directory.

I realize this might be a long shot, but I'm putting it out there.  Even if he wasn't responsible for Shelly Anne's murder, I think people outside of Southern Ontario be aware of this guy.  I mean, he had the ability to drive anywhere in Canada without supervision. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 05:53:00 PM by George Fayne »

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2018, 10:07:50 AM »
George, do you know more about this "David", or what's happened since this article appeared? I remember thinking it was odd that those London murders suddenly stopped.

http://torontosun.com/2014/03/22/box-of-clues-found-in-late-cops-home-may-help-solve-cold-cases/wcm/15c7e394-624b-4709-ab73-06a28f67924f

Hinton is on Highway 16, the Yellowhead Highway. It is an important truck route, and a lot of traffic  passes through Hinton as a result of this. Link for reference:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_Highway_16

There is a truck stop about a 10-minute walk from the trailer court where Shelly spent her last hours. I realize many gas stations have relocated over the years, due to ground contamination. Maybe one was closer back then?

Recalling that some serial killers use trucking as an occupation ideally suited to their side interest.

I have also wondered about the drug trade, which uses the same route. Here's a reminder about what happened further west on Highway 16.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/crime-most-dangerous-cities/

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2018, 10:30:54 AM »
This article is important not only for information about the London cop who was not allowed to arrest suspects in the London murders, but for Mike Arntfield, a detective and professor at UWO. The highway serial killer initiati e in the U.S. Is also mentioned.

I think that it is important that Shelly was taken from that highway. Also important is where her belongings were discarded.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/19/serial-killer-london-ontario-canada

George Fayne

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2018, 05:09:50 PM »
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the OPP have followed up on Arntfield's findings (at least as far as the public knows).  And I don't know anything about what "David" was up to after he was let out of prison.  I only know that he changed his name and was licensed to drive long haul... which is obviously very troubling given the fact that he (if he is responsible for English, White, and O'Connell's deaths) tended to target young women walking along highways.  There's a little more information in the "Lynda White" episode of Arntfield's true crime show.  He suggests that "David" might have been responsible for a kidnapping case that happened a few hours north of London a few years ago. 

Here's the link to the episode:  https://youtu.be/cS9EtbYa9EM
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 05:31:09 PM by George Fayne »