Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Pamela Darlington - Nov 6, 1973 - 19 - Murdered - Kamloops - HOT Probe  (Read 13978 times)

Desespere

19-year-old Pamela Darlington was found at Kamloops, on November 6, 1973. Her ravaged body was fished out of the Thompson River next day, and a train crew reported sighting a man with "messy blond hair" near the scene of the crime, but the vague description led detectives nowhere. She is believed to be the second victim of the transcanada killer

http://www.crimezzz.net/serialkillers/C/CANADA_HIGHWAY_murders.php

Pamela's name was added to Highway of Tears list of victims.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=0e6cb020-92a7-4e86-8005-4c0ad7e09b5f

The report by the province above states Pamela was killed in 1974, my database shows November 1973. I will try to verify this date.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 11:42:05 AM by Desespere »

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Pamela Darlington - Nov 6, 1973 - Age 19 - Murdered - Kamloops
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 06:27:37 PM »
Wow, now this is too much of a coincidence to not be considered serial. ALmost the sameage group as the Alberta killings

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Fergie1116 I guess we have something bad in common as my friend Gail Weys was the first victim of this killer. She went missing in 1973 very near to where I lived in Clearwater,BC . She was later found dead in 1974  again very near to my home.The brutal way she died still haunts me to this day.Clearwater was and still is a small town where we felt safe at the time.Upon reading about all the murders through BC and AB  I find it hard to believe that this was not the work of a serial killer.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
I think you could be right about it being Ted Bundy Fergie as he was known to have driven a beetle. His mo was to appear vulnerable to women and then when they tried to help him that is when he would make his move.Did you ever move home to Kamloops? We lived there for a little while for my husband's job and I really liked it. It is such a coincidence that your sister ended up working for the RCMP.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:19:29 PM by debbiec »

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Wow, this is interesting stuff. In one way, it seems strange, but it also seems to fit a pattern.

I will do osme more reading about Bundy tonight and see if I can find out what he did during that timeframe.

Thanks for posting that.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Now that is weird, if they had met each other, in such a small place that would not be unusual. But they both were murdered which is.

These are the kinds of cases I wish the BC government would spend more money on investigating. It's going to cost 1 billoin to secure the Olympics, I am sure they can spend a bit on cold cases.

Also, I have a relative in BC who works for the RCMP, it is is true that often the police already have the case solved, but not enough to convince a judge or crown attorney to move on pressing charges.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Fergie I just read your last post. What do you mean when you say that Pam and Gail were together? Do you mean they were friends or that they had simply  met each other. Gail actually went missing when she was hitchhiking between Clearwater and Kamloops (but like you said who didn't hitchhike then?) I lived very close to where she was found in 1974 just outside of Clearwater. The general feeling in Clearwater at the time was that she had probably been picked up and killed almost right away as she left Clearwater after work that day and never arrived in Kamloops where her family lived. Also because her body was found just out of Blackpool witch is  only about 7 miles from Clearwater it would seem as if  she didn't make it far from where she was picked up. As I posted earlier I had seen her get into a vehicle just outside my gate  around that time. I have since talked to someone about what I saw that day as I was never sure of the exact date I had seen her, only that I heard she was missing right after.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
It would be great if they were able to extract some DNA from old evidence and able to compare it to suspects. But even then, that does not really prove anything except his DNA is on her. What I hope is that they can get a confession out of someone some day.

These are the kinds of cases I wish the media would write about once in a while. It would be great because I am sure somewhere out there, someone heard someone say something and could make the connection.

Do you think someone could keep there mouth shut about doing this? Even Pickton had a bunch of people who knew what he was up too.

If those young ladies were friends, and by chance it was not Bundy, could it be someone who lived in that community afterall? THat is a scary thought.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Actually Chris, Gail and Pam were originally both from Kamloops but they were not both found there. Gail had been working in Clearwater and living there at the time. She was trying to hitchhike to Kamloops to see her parents when she was picked up. People at the gas bar where she worked are the ones that knew when she left and that she was going to hitchhike.It is about 76 miles to Kamloops from Clearwater and she never arrived in Kamloops.There was really nothing between Clearwater and Blackpool  (about 7 miles) except a few farms and some houses. Blackpool is where I was living at the time, and it was even smaller than Clearwater. There was a small grocery store with a little laundromat that was kind of the hub of that small community.It was about 1/4 of a mile from where we owned a piece of land at the time.It was from my kitchen window that I saw her walking from that direction just about the time a semi was slowing down to pick her up. She ran and got in. I remember thinking how stupid it was  at the time. Just never knew for sure that it was exactly the right day. Although my gut tells me it was.I always wondered if someone who lived close to  the little store had given her a ride that far and if that is where she had gotten out and started to hitchike again, because at that point it was seven miles from where she had started out.  Her body was found the next spring very close to where I lived.She was laying in a swamp witch ran close to the edge of the main hwy as if she had been discarded there. I believe that Pam was found around Kamloops witch although not nearly as big as Edmonton is much bigger than Clearwater. It would be quite a coincidence if they were both murdered by the same killer although stanger things have happened.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Man, she probably never got very far before she was killed then.

I wonder how the other ended up down in Penticton area? That is far from Kamloops? It could be just a dump site. That is the route you would take to gain access to the USA though. It's just down the road from Washington.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Pamela Darlington - Nov 6, 1973 - 19 - Murdered - Kamloops - HOT Probe
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 11:15:23 AM »
Actually Chris, if you are leaving Kamloops on the E Transcanada HWY you don't have to go too  far before you can take the turn off to Vernon and once in Vernon you just stay on the main hwy for about 30 miles and it will take you right through  Kelowna, and 38 miles later,  you will come to Penticton. I was raised all my life in Kelowna so that area is all familiar to me. Once leaving Penticton you just stay on the main hwy and it will lead you to Oliver and and so on right to where you can cross the border into the US. So it could be very easy for someone coming in or returning to the states. In those days it was very easy to cross  and in fact there were even quieter border crossings available if you went into the Kootenays and crossed over at Grande Forks for instance.   

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 01:48:26 AM »
I also think he was hoping to use unsolved cases as leverage to save his life which we know did not happen. Is it a fact that he was ever in BC?

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 04:28:47 AM »
And Canada probably did not spend much time looking at the links just like with Henry Lucus who Texas sent to death in the 90's. He was in Canada too, but nothing was ever investigated.

Does make you wonder how many last and current cases could be americans looking for a place perhaps where the perception is the pickings are easy.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 01:10:33 AM »
I guess the only thing to do now is hope someone reads this and starts to put the pieces together. At some point, someone in the know will come across this.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 09:54:18 PM »
Desespere, I went onto one of the links that  you provided above and went into a photo gallery for Ted Bundy.I was shocked to see how closely they had portrayed him in a movie that I saw  years ago about his killing spree. The movie was riveting to me at the time as you just didn't hear about things like that much then. I remember the role of Ted Bundy was played by Mark Harmon and I wish I could remember what it was called.I think that is what started my interest in serial killers and have always wondered what makes them tick and how such monsters are created. 

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here