Author Topic: Darcy Bannert - Pedophile Trial and sentence  (Read 10861 times)

Desespere

Darcy Bannert - Pedophile Trial and sentence
« on: October 01, 2007, 05:56:53 PM »
from this blog
http://pysih.com/2007/06/12/darcy-don-bannert/

This piece of filth was convicted today of sexually assaulting his girlfriend's four-year-old daughter, shackling the child to furniture for his own amusement and confining the little girl in a dark basement.

Justice Darlene Acton said, "It is apparent that, to this little girl, having sex with daddy in the bathtub was normal and common.?"

Words cannot describe this guy.

Bannert was found guilty on charges of sexual assault, sexual interference, unlawful confinement, assault causing bodily harm and assault with a weapon.

The little girl's 22-year-old mother, who cannot be named to protect the identity of her daughter, was convicted of assault and causing a child to be in need of protection. The young mother did not participate in the torture and did not help Bannert assault her daughter. According to testimony, the woman was 'submissive and subservient' to Bannert and she tried, meekly and without success, to prevent some of the assaults.

I'm not sure of the justice there, but this is Canada. They like maple syrup on their french fries. They're weird.

Darcy Bannert had the child in a constant state of terror. She was routinely shackled to heavy objects, deprived of liquids and locked in a wooden box.

At the dinner table, Bannert would spray the girl in the face if her mouth wasn't full.

If her mouth was full, he would spray her if she wasn't chewing.

One of two witnesses who lived with the couple told the court she once saw Darcy Bannert take the girl to the basement, handcuff her ankle to a milk crate and surround her with heavy marijuana planters so she couldn't escape.

The little girl is now five years old and in the care of Children's Services.

She is extremely traumatized and has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and reactive attachment disorder.

She is obsessed with having access to liquids.

From CBC News
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2007/06/11/verdict-childabuse.html

Edmonton duo found guilty of abusing girl, 4
Last Updated: Monday, June 11, 2007 | 4:59 PM MT
CBC News

A young Edmonton mother and her former boyfriend were found guilty Monday of abusing her four-year-old daughter.

Justice Darlene Acton ruled the girl's mother and her former boyfriend Darcy Bannert, 25, were guilty of common assault after grabbing, punching and pushing the small child on a regular basis.

Darcy Bannert was found guilty Monday of nine charges,including sexual abuse of his girl friend's daughter, 4.
The mother was also found guilty of causing a child to need protective care, but three other charges against her were dismissed. She can't be named to protect the identity of the child.

Acton was much harder on Bannert, finding him guilty on nine of 11 charges, two of them related to sexual abuse. As the details of the sexual assault were read out, the girl's mother sat in the prisoner's box covering her face with her hands.

In handing down her decision, Acton said Bannert was "king of this castle" and "ruled over this house with an iron fist."

Court hear that the little girl was deprived of water, repeatedly hit and handcuffed to furniture as a punishment, and sexually assaulted by Bannert.

Prosecutors described the home as a "house of horrors," but defence lawyers argued that while the couple may have gone overboard in disciplining the child, they did not abuse her.

The little girl is in foster care and receiving psychological counselling.

The pair will be sentenced next month.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 10:22:06 AM by Desespere »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Darcy Bannert - Pedophile Trial and sentence
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 11:34:55 PM »
WHat? 8 years? This is so stupid! And 3 charges against the mother dropped? Sorry, the mother should have gotten 8 years, the freak should have gotten life w/o parole for 25 (or never get out if Bob ran the country).

This is a classic case of jusges not getting it!!!

Does anyone know what the pedophile loving mother got?

AlbertaCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 11:42:50 AM »
8 years is wayyy too short.  There is no excuse for victimizing children like that.  I would have given him at least 20 years.  Sentences for pedophiles, especially violent ones should be much longer..

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 01:55:41 PM »
I'm sure he will get 20 years next time he rapes a child. Then finally he will get life when he does it a third time. What a sorry sentence. At elast in jail he will be perfmoring duties for other inmates, he'll have his mouthful.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 08:11:28 PM »
How about 2 strikes for sex offences and violent offences. That would have kept a lot of these people in the news the past few eyars in jail like Rozko.

TO me the first important step would be to reform the judicial system. To many cases get thrown out, to many judges who don't understand the issues etc.

AlbertaCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 10:09:28 PM »
But remember the maximum sentence for child sexual assault is 15 years in Canada.

We need to change that to 25 years.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 11:26:57 PM »
In a prison on Baffin Island too.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 12:32:17 PM »
This is what I find odd. Support for tougher sentences for violent crime, sex based crime, robberies, home bugleries etc is very high even across political leanings.

It seems like a sure fire way to be popular with the citizens. So why is it not supported by any party? Sure Stephen Harper says he supports tougher sentences, but what he does is another thing.

AlbertaCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 12:47:57 PM »
This is what I find odd. Support for tougher sentences for violent crime, sex based crime, robberies, home bugleries etc is very high even across political leanings.

It seems like a sure fire way to be popular with the citizens. So why is it not supported by any party? Sure Stephen Harper says he supports tougher sentences, but what he does is another thing.

The problem is that he wwants tougher sentence across the board, so that marijuana users and petty criminals are given tougher sentences.  Most everyone wants tougher sentences for violent criminals, but people object when you mix soft drug users and petty criminals into the equation.

jasmineskye

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 10:19:15 AM »
I have a few questions that I desperately want answered...

1 where was the little girls' biological father
2 where did the mother and Darcy meet and how long were they together
3 How long were they together before the abuse started
4 why did the mother let Darcy discipline and bathe her child
5 people have stated Darcy was previously convicted of a crime, what crime and what came about it
6 Did the mother know he was sexually assaulting her daughter, the little girl seemed to be quite open and comfortable about talking about how her and "daddy" had sex
7 Is there programs and counsellors available to Darcy in prison, from what I have read the program they had for rehabilitating sex offenders they have since gotten rid of, so how is he getting help
8 why are we protecting the mother, she is more at fault for bringing that monster into that little girl's life
9 since the mother has gotten 2 years house arrest, is she getting help and counselling
10 Will the mother ever be allowed near that little girl again
11 where can you find court documents and witness testimony, I am interested in reading the court transcripts to figure out why Darcy and the mother's punishments are so minimal, from the little I have read and found on this case, I would have been a lot harder on them both and I would be personally making sure they were getting help and counselling
12 what is happening with the little girl, will she be eligible for adoption or will she be bounced from foster home to foster home

????

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 12:54:25 PM »
I'd like to see those questions answered too. That is the porpose of public tirals, to get answers, to examine the facts. I hope you get your answers.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 02:06:43 PM »

Hi, jasmine. I understand where you are coming from. To me, the mother is just as guilty, and should also serve time. She wasn't blind, she had to know she brought a monster into her home, after a while.House arrest is too easy.

The little girl?s 22-year-old mother, who cannot be named to protect the identity of her daughter, was convicted of assault and causing a child to be in need of protection. The young mother did not participate in the torture and did not help Bannert assault her daughter. According to testimony, the woman was ?submissive and subservient? to Bannert and she tried, meekly and without success, to prevent some of the assaults.

jasmineskye

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 02:34:06 PM »
House arrest is a bloody vacation...so what she can't leave the house, she will no doubt have people bringing her all the stuff she needs, while she gets to stay in the comfortable confines of her home and lounge and watch TV? I am not the most patriotic canadian at the best of times, and this case just proves my point...Why in the world are we "punishing" this mother with something as cushy as house arrest, it's like when you're a kid and they suspend you for skipping school...I'm so confused with our justice system, or rather lack there of!

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 08:13:58 PM »
Man who repeatedly abused child has year added to sentence

An Edmonton man who physically and sexually abused his former girlfriend's four-year-old daughter repeatedly, including handcuffing her to a milk crate in the basement, has had 12 months added to his prison sentence.

18/03/2009 4:44:29 PM

CBC News

In June 2007, Darcy Don Bannert was convicted of a number of charges, including sexual assault, sexual interference, and unlawful confinement of the child. He was sentenced to eight years in prison.

Bannert was in court in Edmonton on Wednesday because of a ruling from the Alberta Court of Appeal.

In the January decision, the appeal court judges denied Bannert's appeal on the sexual assault and sexual interference charges and convicted him of an additional charge of assault causing bodily harm.

For sentencing purposes, the trial judge combined sentencing for the assault causing bodily harm and unlawful confinement convictions.

But the Court of Appeal ruled the judge made an error in law by doing so and ruled Bannert should receive an additional sentence for the assault causing bodily harm conviction.

In court Wednesday, Bannert spoke to the judge before he was sentenced.

"I've done a lot of wrong in my life," he said. "I'm glad there's an end to this. I've got to make a change and that's what I'm trying to do."

The court also heard that Bannert has been taking rehabilitation programs in prison.
http://news.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/Local/AB/ContentPosting?newsitemid=ab-edm-bannert-sentence&feedname=CBC_LOCALNEWS&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=True

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 02:40:35 AM »

So he got a year added. I wish they had added 10-to life. These guys never change, ever.

I also wish the mother got time, for allowing the abuse to happen. She was unable to stop it. Well, get the cops, take the kids and run, get help, and protect your daughter, and she did none of this... >:( >:( >:( >:(

OMG, the memories that poor child will have.I hope she gets all the help, and support she can. ((((hugs)))) little one.This story affected me deeply. Be strong...