Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Evelyn Edith Kebalo - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg - 1977  (Read 2554 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Evelyn Edith Kebalo - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg - 1977
« on: April 04, 2007, 01:32:16 AM »
The Evelyn Edith Kebalo Murder
On the morning of Tuesday, April 19, 1977, the lifeless body of 55-year old Evelyn Kebalo was found stripped naked and laying in the middle of the Pritchard Park playground, located on the south-west corner of Manitoba Avenue and Charles Street. She had been sexually assaulted. The cause of death was determined to be manual strangulation.

The last known movements of Ms. Kebalo are somewhat sketchy, however it is known that she had spent the previous day with her sister. They had dinner together and then went to several downtown hotels. The two parted company at the Mount Royal Hotel on Higgins Avenue sometime after 11:30 p.m., at which time Ms. Kebalo possibly went to the Bell Hotel. She was last believed to be the in company of two males, described as follows:

Possibly a native male, 35-40-years old, 6?1?, 210 pds (good build), wearing blue jeans and a red & orange ?lumberjack? jacket. The male walked with a noticeable limp.
Native male, 40-years, husky build, ?dirty looking?, had a mustache and wore gray pinstripe pants. One of the males had lighter brown hair.
During a canvass of the area, the police located several witnesses, one of whom was a teenage boy who had been near the park at about 2:30 a.m. when the assault occurred. The youth observed a vehicle pull into the park, shut its lights off and three males get out. He observed one of the males strike Kebalo, knocking her to the ground. The youth did not know if the victim had been in the car as well, or had merely been walking through the park when the car pulled in. It is presumed that the victim had been in the car, however she lived less than a half block from the park.

All three males subsequently jumped on Kebalo and tore the clothing off her body. The males continued to assault her for about 10 minutes before leaving the park and exiting in their vehicle, driving north on Charles Street and then west on Manitoba Avenue. The youth subsequently described the car as being a 4-door sedan, red in colour with possible damage to the left rear fender. He indicated it may have been a Ford product, similar to a 1968 Meteor.

Although his descriptions were somewhat vague, the youth indicated one of the suspects called out the name ?Ted?. He described the three suspects as follows, the descriptions of two of them being consistent with the last known people to have been with the victim:

Driver of the car ? Male, late 20?s, early 30?s, light wavy brown hair that was ?fluffed out?, about 5?6? in height and had a husky build.
Male, 27-28 years old, black shoulder length hair and mustache, possibly 6? tall and weighing 160 pds. Walked with a limp and wore a blue ?lumberjack? style jacket.
Male, black shoulder length hair. No further description.
Another witness, who heard a woman screaming sometime around 2:00 a.m., looked out her window and saw three men run from the park and get into a large red 4-door sedan, possibly a 1966-67 Ford product, that may have had rust above the left wheel well, an aerial on the right rear fender and two decals on the left side of the rear window. This witness was unable to provide a description of the suspects.

In October 1977 the police arrested three suspects, however when two of them could provide alibis? showing that they were probably not even in the province (or the country) at the time of the murder the Crown stayed the charges. As such this case remains open and unsolved.
If you have any information about this case, please contact Crime Stoppers at 786-TIPS (8477), or e-mail Sgt. Al Bradbury and Det. Jon Lutz of the Cold Case Homicide Unit.

http://winnipeg.ca/police/Unsolved_Cases/Homicides/1977_kebalo.stm

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Evelyn Edith Kebalo - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg - 1977
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 05:36:13 AM »
TO Pie-Duck:

Got your message. Thanks for sending it. I do think this case could be solved. There must be DNA and I know Winnipeg has solved cold cases recently. I hope you have called them for an update on this and to see if they tested evidnece.

I am not a cop or anything, but I still good at identifying deciept, and I would say that teenager who saw those 3 guys is probably lying. If you call the police about this, ask them specifically if that teen was vetted. I have a feeling the police may already made him a suspect.

Thanks Pie-Duck.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 10:05:48 AM »
Chris; i've come across the word "vetted" a couple of times now in posts; (I'm actually ignorant of the word - must be a word oriented to police work) each time I just skimmed past it, and I guess I interpretted it as "vedette".  If that is what you mean, it makes sense that he made have been part of the crime and he was the "look out", but I can't see him offering info. so accurate to the other witnesses info. (lady in window) ... one thing is clear ... they seem to have the right guys but just need to place them at the scene instead of phoney alibies.

Will the day ever come when people stop providing phoney alibies?  I know it's usually their own kind that do this for them; but if people providing false alibies received stiff enough jail time sentences, others might think twice.  It's all too easy for these moraless people to do.... then when the truth does come out and if the criminals eventually get exposed, nobody seems to pay for the initial deception and  impediment of justice.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 05:48:39 PM »
Chris; i've come across the word "vetted" a couple of times now in posts

Think it comes from investigated.

I was actually thinking that teen acted alone. It is hard to keep 4 people from snitching on each other, I was thinking he knew those 3 and did what many do, divert attention to someone else. Plus it would make sense that the police investigated those 3 very very well.

That teen though, I just have a bad feeling about him.

BCID

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 04:45:07 PM »
Additional Details:

- Kebalo was found in the park at about 8 am.

- The car described by the boy in the press is a full-sized bright-red, four-door sedan similar to a 1965 to 1968 model Ford. The car was clean, and there was a rust-coloured area behind the left rear wheel.

- The possible Native with a limp had a red, orange and black jacket. and was 6'1"

- The native male with the husky build was 5'10" in height.

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here