Author Topic: April DOBSON - Murder (October 14th, 2005)  (Read 30138 times)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: April DOBSON - Murder (October 14th, 2005)
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2010, 09:26:09 AM »
There is another article at the link below about the continued effort to solve April's murder.

http://www.police.barrie.on.ca/node/161

Annastaisha

• "Happy people just don't shoot their husbands..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2010, 09:47:18 AM »
Glad to see they are keeping her story in the media. And it says they are continuing to sift through tips which I hope means that they really are getting some of the "gossip".

Rosswag

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 04:45:49 AM »
One of these days the whole truth will come out....

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2010, 01:35:21 PM »
Maybe April's family should try and get reward money posted by the province and maybe they would get some leads. Sometimes after a couple of years have gone by, witnesses or someone who knows something about the crime will come forward. Sometimes they are afraid at the time, but after they have gotten a little older and are living with the knowledge of a crime, they will step forward and give the police the information they are seeking. I believe a reward may bring vital information to the police in this case. ::) ::) ::) ::)

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2010, 08:02:22 AM »
Here is the latest update posted on the Barrie Police Service website (with a video). It may not have much new, but it is updated from the original on the post here:

Dobson Homicide Investigation - 5 Year Anniversary
Major Crime Investigation
Occurence Type: Homicide
Date of Investigation: October 14th, 2005

UPDATE:The Barrie Police Service is re-focusing their attention on a murder that has remained unsolved after a 5 year duration.

Police in Barrie and Crime Stoppers are pleading for help from the public while they piece together events from the early hours of October 14th, 2005, in the city's Letetia Heights district.

Late on the night of October 13th, April Lynn Dobson, 40, had finished her shift at the Molson Park Swiss Chalet, and had gone to a co workers residence located on Browning Trail, to help work on the colleague's car.

Afterwards, police report, that the two women and a female room mate of the co-workers were sitting on the front porch enjoying Thanksgiving leftovers and drinking some wine, Dobson sitting with her back to the street.

Soon after midnight, there were reports of a shot fired, and Dobson was struck in the head. Despite the best efforts of police and paramedics to revive her, Dobson succumbed to her injuries at the scene.

Moments later, a witness noticed a young man running from the area, getting on a mountain style bicycle, and riding away southward on the catwalk leading from Browning Trail to Bronte Crescent.

The person of interest is believed to be familiar with and or live in the area.

The Major Crime Unit, Barrie Police Service would like to thank the members of the public that have assisted in this investigation to date, but are still appealing for the public's assistance in solving this homicide.

Anyone with information on this homicide is URGED to call the Barrie Police Major Crime Unit Tip line at 705-725-7025 ext#2160, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477(TIPS). Crime Stoppers is anonymous and does not subscribe to call display. You will not be required to testify in court and you may be eligible for a cash reward of up to $2,000.

Members of the of the public can watch the re-enactment of the crime done by Crime Stoppers at the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmHu_jJuRRE&layer_token=26efe589c387197f
http://www.police.barrie.on.ca/node/161

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2011, 03:30:56 AM »
Thanks for posting. Why do you feel they screwed this up? I am not saying they didn't or did, but I would like to know. Seems like one of those cases that just are unusual. who does a hit on a bike? By a kid? In suburbia? To a law biding citizen?

I don't think money is what is preventing tips from coming forward.

I find it odd that this was her first time at that house and she ends up dead.

warmheartturncold

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2011, 12:48:54 PM »
April went to that house that night with her friend, who left about an hour before her violent death, seems like she could have been set up. but the police have ruled out that person of a person of interest or suspect. April was such a good woman, good friend, and good mother. I miss her everyday and not a day goes by that I don't think about her. I wish the police would just solve this case already so we can all move forward. but it seems like they have been going in circles the past 3-4 years.

warmheartturncold

• View Profile
Always loved Always Remembered
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2011, 09:33:33 AM »
R.I.P.

Always loved Always Remembered

warmheartturncold

• View Profile
$25,000 reward offered for closure for our family
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 10:13:58 AM »
A $25,000 reward has been offered by the Barrie police to help our family get closure. its too bad it had to come to this and we did not get the public's help. I am very disappointed in the lack of assistance by the public and the people in that area. This violent crime is cowardliness at its finest. some punk kid thought it would be gangster to fire a shot towards 3 woman on a small porch. unfortunately April Dobson was hit in the back of the head and died a very bloody death. she did not deserve this not matter the circumstances of any actions she may have done. she was a good friend,daughter,sister and mother.  we did not deserve to see her in a casket like this. our lives have been torn apart with anger and confusion.

the individual(s) responsible for this has cause the city of Barrie to spend a lot of money on resources to find the coward who pulled the trigger. the killer has caused a lot of heart ache, a lot of tears, a lot of late nights. There is a large audience out there who thinks this murder is glamorous and is acceptable. but it is not. you never know what you got till its gone. the people affected by her death has lost a lot of quality living. We will not stop till we find out who is responsible for this murder. nor will the other families in Barrie and surrounding cities who have lost loved ones from a violent act.

I hope one day someone like the character on the t.v. show Dexter pops up and puts you coward killers away the right way. you take someones life, your life should be taken away. not being locked up in jail with t.v., internet, phone access, getting better meals then most of you would on the streets. now someone may get a nice pay check so our family will get closure.

we will never stop hunting for you cowards until you are brought forward and served some form of justice that is satisfying for the families who lost family members from violent crimes.

Daniel Lee Dobson

http://www.police.barrie.on.ca/node/4063

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2011, 07:33:17 PM »
Daniel... it is an outright shame that on one has come forward to name the coward who shot April.  But it is encouraging that the Barrie Police have issued a $25,000 reward. Let's see how many friends he has now!

Barrie Police Service Tip Line:  (705) 725-7025  extension 2160

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2011, 11:43:27 AM »
Possibly connected to the Alexandra Flannigan case

arrie police are also receiving new information regarding another unsolved case.

After 29-year-old Andrew Keene was arrested and charged with Flanagan's murder last week, police say it got people talking about the April Dobson shooting.

"Essentially, in terms of Alex Flanagan, that was a bittersweet arrest because of course it was an extremely tragic death, but I think people felt a sense of relief," said Det.-Const. Anna Lamanna, with Barrie's major crime unit. "It certainly has prompted witnesses to come forward in some of our other unsolved cases."

Dobson was was 40 years old when she was shot in the back of the head while sitting on the porch of a friend's Browning Trail townhouse Oct. 14, 2005.

"We have received tips on the Dobson case," Lamanna said. "It (the Flanagan case) has prompted members of the community to come forward and they have taken some initiative to try to help out."

Police are taking the new information seriously, but because each new lead has to be investigated, detectives can't say if tips will lead to an arrest.

"I can't really comment at this stage, because they are preliminary," Lamanna said of the leads. "In terms of April Dobson, we still consider it an open case."

The night Dobson was gunned down, witnesses reported seeing a white male between 16 and 20 years old running from the scene before riding off on a bicycle.

With the passage of time, people may find themselves more eager to talk to police about ongoing investigations, but science also plays a factor, Lamanna said.

"Sometimes witnesses come forward, whether it's because the threat is gone in their life or because of revenge," she said.

"Sometimes time is (also) on our side because of scientific advancements and new technology,"?she added.

Officers with the crime unit tackle each case as a team, brainstorming ideas and poring over new evidence as it is presented.

But in many cases, city residents hold the key information.

"We strive to spend the same amount of attention on each case, regardless of the victim," Lamanna said. "I also feel the community has a responsibility in assisting to achieve this goal."

After Keene was arrested in the Flanagan case, police were soon at the Highway 400 on-ramp between Bayfield and Rose streets where they believe Flanagan's final remains were found, police say.

"We do believe that we do have all of the remains. And at this point, we do not have any more remains sites," said Det.-Const. Brett Carleton, the lead investigator on the Flanagan case.

"There was a post-mortem conducted (Tuesday), which I was present at, but that is going to be an ongoing process and we won't have results from that for some time,"?Carleton said.

With the assistance of Ontario Provincial Police divers, city police searched the water near St. Vincent Park for evidence, but police are tight-lipped about the findings, if any.

"That area came to light and that's how we ended up searching that area. It was an evidence search," Carleton said. "We feel that the searches at this period of time are complete."

The area of water is close

to where some of Flanagan's remains were found by a hiker near Johnson's Beach back in February 2008.

Flanagan was 33 years old when she went missing July 8, 2007, near Sunnidale Park after parting company with a friend.

Partial skeletal remains were found Oct. 4, 2007, in Lackies Bush near Little Avenue and Bayview Drive. Those remains were later positively identified as Flanagan's through dental records.
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3347880

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2012, 10:33:57 PM »
A beautiful video tribute to April from her son.  I have not forgotten April. I remain hopeful for justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP1bcuzXxKU

SAP

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2014, 11:29:25 PM »
http://www.orilliapacket.com/2013/10/09/search-continues-for-april-dobsons-killer

Police believe someone in the community has information that could help solve the murder and anyone with information is asked to contact investigators at 705-725-7025, ext. 2160, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

2soccermom

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2016, 09:04:22 AM »
I understand in some way LE's reluctance to release a "generic" suspect sketch, but on the other hand a sketch might tweak people's memory re: who might have been seen walking near the home, called a cab to the area, rode the bus that day. It seems clear the perp did not have a vehicle. Perhaps the sketch could function less as a diagnostic than as a catalyst? I'm just wondering: if an eye witness felt able to deliver a description well enough to be captured in print, why isn't it being circulated? or is it that the eyewitness her/himself doesn't think the sketch a reliable indicator?
My heart goes out to April's family and friends. Such a long long wait for answers.

wemissapril

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2018, 09:14:19 PM »
Tribute Video to April Dobson. Can't believe it has been 13 years and still no closure. Does the Grieving ever stop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypRKotAC19k