Author Topic: April DOBSON - Murder (October 14th, 2005)  (Read 30136 times)

Shwa

• View Profile
Re: April DOBSON - Murder (October 14th, 2005)
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 09:24:06 AM »
Because of the 400 highway, Barrie is fast becoming a suburb of Toronto, with all the requisite problems and crimes.

We have to remember that some crimes do take awhile to solve and police & Crown prosecutors want to make sure that when they do make an arrest it is their best effort.  In this case it could well be that the police have a suspect, but are waiting for the right moment to pounce.  If there are indeed people that know who the shooter is, then you can bet that the police are waiting for the prime opportunity to put the squeeze on.  Sooner or later, someone's conscience will open up.  There is no statute if limitations for indictable crimes in Canada.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 09:50:18 AM »
Absolutely Shwa and it's far better for the police to have everything in perfect order before proceeding to insure the case isn't thrown out. A lot of times when it appears that they are doing nothing they are just waiting for the opportune moment.

wemissapril

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 11:14:41 PM »
one of the toughest cases police have been delt with in years if not decades especially when people involved are sticking to their "lies" I mean sorry

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 08:35:14 AM »
Yeah it's been 3 years. I am surprised it has not been solved. The police probably have run into some lawyers for suspects on this one.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 08:50:33 AM »
wemissapril; I know exactly how you feel - and the more power and influence the murderer has, the longer and more impossible it is to obtain justice.  I feel for you and everyone whom April was dear to. .....from the bottom of my heart....and I hope with all the comtempt I can muster up (God forgive me) that equal hell happens to those who did this harm to her, and those who know about it, and stay clammed up.
A similar situation is in my life; and although it's 18 years after the fact, it seems the good Lord has seen fit to dish out some justice and we are hoping for more.  I hope and pray, April receives justice quicker.  RIP April - from those of us who care!

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 08:03:18 AM »
I feel that it was a mistaken identity for April. If she did not know anything about this residence she was at and she was never there before, it sounds like she took a bullet that was meant for someone else. This could have been an ex that wanted revenge on a female or an ex husband thinking that his wife or girlfriend was at that residence. Something is not jiving and everyone should be interviewed again and go back to square one. That must be a POI amongst all of those interviewed.  I sure hope something comes up.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 08:30:13 PM »
omething is not jiving and everyone should be interviewed again and go back to square one.

I agree. It is too hard for a group of people to keep a secret, so I am thinking there is more to this. They should bring in a detective who knows nothing about this case and start over.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 11:41:34 AM »
Yes, Chris, someone to go over every file and pick out the people that should be re-interviewed.  Sometimes, I would just love to be able to go to the police headquarters and just take a confidential sworn statement not to reveal what is in a file and just go over what some of these people have said. I did work in the court system for quite some time and sometimes just a fresh set of eyes and someone who is not working very day and tired out could just help out and pick out some things on these files that stand out. I guess that is why some cold case detectives work just on those cases, because they are fresh and they only handle that one case and when that is solved they go on to the next one. It would be really interesting to do that and I have time on my hands and sure would do it for nothing. Nice to be talking to everyone again, for a while I was busy and not commenting very much.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 12:26:35 PM »
Hi Capeheart, good to see you posting again.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 12:24:19 AM »
Glad to see you posting. I am glad everyone takes a little brake sometimes. It can be sad here, but it sure can be rewarding too when casesa are solved.

I agree with you, fresh eyes can make a difference. God made us all different for a reason, we all see things differently.

theanna

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 01:13:40 PM »
people need to step back and relize that this person had to "get away" from the city, meaning there was something to get away from. the way she was killed was none other than a profressional hit, and therefore the person will probably never be caught. as far as reading reports goes and doing personal research april as i am sure a lovely woman.. had alot of skeletons in her closet. and people need to look at the big picture.
as i caught a glance in someones posting saying "barrie police need to solve to help thier reputation" (or something along those lines) i believe the one that they must solve is the alex flannigan case, the april dobson (equally as bad) is a cut and dry problem from the city being brought up to barrie (which most problems in barrie are) and therefore there is a less likely chance of ever solving the murder.

sorry i am not here to insault but rather make people think and open some eyes to different possibilites.

wemissapril

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 02:23:18 PM »
Always remembered always Loved. you were taken away from us in such a violent act, and we never have got any justice, we need justice and we need it now.  >:(

Rosswag

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2010, 06:55:19 AM »
Hard to believe 5 years has gone by already. I knew here more than 20 yrs ago. Still feel sorry for her son, mother and brother.

Len

Annastaisha

• "Happy people just don't shoot their husbands..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2010, 08:53:12 AM »
Is there any media coverage with the anniversary? I mean, if a lot of people knew at the time who did it, some of them may have matured in the 5 years. There is a big difference between being 20 and 25 - emotionally

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 09:16:40 AM »
By RAYMOND BOWE, BARRIE EXAMINER
Posted 4 hours ago

April Dobson was shot and killed five years ago this week while sipping wine and eating Thanksgiving leftovers on the porch of a Letitia Heights townhouse.

"Every year it gets harder -- people's memories fade," Barrie police Sgt. Robert Allan said of the case and the search for leads. "But, that said, it just takes one small thing to crack a case wide open."

The 40year-old mother was shot in the back of the head around 12:20 a.m. , while sitting on the porch at 300 Browning Trail with her back to the street. She died instantly.

Moments later, a young male was seen running east, looking over his shoulder. He stopped at a driveway, picked up a bicycle and sped away in an eastbound direction, turning right on a nearby catwalk which led from Browning Trail to Bronte Crescent.

Dobson's killer remains at large. Police believe the person lived in Letitia Heights, or is familiar with the west-e nd neighbourhood.

T h e "person of interest" is described as a white male, clean-shaven, possibly between 16 and 20 years old, with a thin and lanky build. The bicycle, which was never found, is described as a brown mountain bike with wide tires and straight handlebars.

Investigators continue to appeal to the public for information that could help solve the murder. Police urge people to go to the department's web-site to view a re-enactment of the Oct. 14, 2005, murder.

"Hopefully, it might jog something and someone will give us a call and help us," Allan said. "We still believe there are witnesses out there."

Witnesses are more than people who may have been in the area that night, the sergeant added.

"Witnesses aren't necessarily someone who saw the actual event, or were present," Allan said. "They're people who have heard something through the grapevine, third-hand, fourth-hand, any kind of information at all. They are crucial to making or breaking the case sometimes."

Investigators continue to sift through tips.

"The tips do still come in, just not in the bulk that we'd like them," Allan said.

Anyone with information can call the Barrie police tip line at 725-7025, ext. 2160, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2800774