Author Topic: Karen Caughlin (14) - Murder - Sarnia, ON - March 16, 1974  (Read 69327 times)

Karens Voice

• View Profile
Re: Karen Caughlin (14) - Murder - Sarnia, ON - March 16, 1974
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 09:05:11 AM »
UPDATED: OPP TURNS UP HEAT ON COLD CASE

JACK POIRIER

The Observer

Having recently cracked two of Ontario's highest profile cold cases, provincial police have set their sights on the 36-year-old unsolved homicide of a Sarnia teen.

The Ontario Provincial Police Criminal Investigations Branch has scheduled a March 8 media conference at the Lambton OPP headquarters in Petrolia to discuss the historical homicide of Karen Caughlin. It comes eight days before the 36th anniversary of her death.

The 14-year-old's battered body was found on March 16, 1974, in a shallow ditch off what is now Plowing Match Road near Petrolia.

"We're making some good advances in many of our cases," Det. Insp. Ian Maule of the OPP's unsolved homicide investigations team said Tuesday, adding police are "actively investigating" the Caughlin murder.

Maule said next week's news conference will reveal new information in the case with the goal of stimulating public interest and fresh leads.

"Every time we do a major media outburst on the case we do receive more tips," he said.

Police officials will also announce a new initiative in the case. A $50,000 reward is still being offered for information leading to an arrest and conviction in Caughlin's death.

Maule said police do have "persons of interest" in the case, while others have been eliminated as suspects because of DNA evidence.

Police believe Caughlin was killed at another location, before her body was dumped west of Petrolia on Plowing Match Road, between Churchill and Lasalle.

Purple paint chips found at the scene were traced back to 1970 and 1971 high performance Chrysler vehicles, such as Chargers, Darts, Challengers, Dusters, Demons and Swingers.
Her purse was found in a third location, on Highway 21, about five kilometers from where her body, lying in a pool of blood, was found by a passing motorist.

An autopsy confirmed internal hemorrhaging as the cause of death and her body was covered with cuts and bruises.

Karen's sister, Kathy Caughlin, still chokes back tears thinking about her freckle-faced kid sister.

Her flowing hair and charming smile were hard to ignore, and her funeral was one of the largest Sarnia has ever seen.

Caughlin said the family still hopes justice will be served for Karen. When police contacted her with details of the March 8 news conference she became emotional, she said.

"I'm very touched by the interest of this investigator (Maule) in my sister's case," she said Tuesday.

"We are hoping, of course, that this will assist police in solving the case. Hope is fragile but hard to kill."

The unsolved homicide unit's track record has been pretty impressive the past two years.

In June 2008, Maule and his investigators announced an arrest in the 1983 murder of Petrolia's Velma Thomson. The 70-year-old widow was found stabbed to death in her home. Police have charged an Owen Sound man with first-degree murder and aggravated sexual assault. He was 15 at the time of Thomson's death.

In January 2009, police arrested 61-year-old Barry Manion for the 1970 murder of 12-year-old Katherine May Wilson on the outskirts of Kirkland Lake. The convicted killer later hung himself in his jail cell.

jpoirier@theobserver.ca

Article ID# 2473197

Sleuth

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 01:29:08 PM »
Thank you Karens Voice for posting the newspaper article. That is an interesting article and shed's more light on that awful event. We will keep our fingers crossed that someone steps up to the plate and gives the Police information that they have been holding back. Do you know what time Karen was last seen and where?

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 01:03:03 AM »
My sister was last seen at 12:50 am on March 16, 1974 when she was dropped off in front of her girlfriend's house where she planned to spend the night.  Her girlfriend's house was a block away from our residence on Brock Street south in Sarnia, Ontario.  She never entered her girlfriend's residence and she never made it home.  She was found 9 hours later in a ditch on an isolated dirt road near the town of Petrolia. The place where her murder took place is not known for she was already deceased before her killers dumped her on the side of the road like a piece of garbage.  Karen's cold case is heating up and my family feels they are getting closurer to capturing the pieces of sh$%& that have gone on with their own lives for 36-years on March 16, 2010.
Again, I encourage families like mine to start riding the asses of their local police departments....start hanging posters to generate public TIP information.  We are doing bumper stickers this summer for Karen.  We have been at this for 7-years now and have hung up in access of 8000 Crimestoppers posters and it is paying off.  Karen's case is a priority with the OPP and we will be there to make sure it remains a priority until someone is accountable for brutally murdering our young, innocent, beautiful sister.  More and more police departments are generating their own cold case squads and this is where policing has come a long way in the past 10-years.  The OPP have an awesome new web-site and the section for their unsolved homicides is very high tech.
www.opp.ca    Go to their crime files section then go to unsolved investigations.   

Sleuth

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »
Thanks for the information Karens Voice. You wrote killers........in the plural, you think it was more than one person involved?

One hundred yards from the side of the road to Karen's girlfriends front door and Karen vanished? Right off the bat that tells me some one lied when questioned.

Yes I do understand your anger at someone going about living their life while a lovely young girl who was about to bloom into a beautiful adult was cut short in such a brutal manner. I hope this person is living a shitty life.

I salute you and yours for keeping at the Police and thinking outside the box to keep this case in the forefront of people's minds.
Where may we obtain bumper stickers and posters for those who wish to help?

Yes you are correct when you say the OPP now has a better web site, about time they came into the new millennium, a decade late, but better late than never.

God Bless and God speed. My prayers are with you.

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 10:33:47 AM »
NO CHILD KILLER SHOULD TAKE SOLACE IN THE PASSAGE OF TIME!!!

Thanks Sleuth for your prayers and kind words. Homicide survivors do not experience anger they experience RAGE and it does not subside while the investigations go unsolved, no matter what amount of time passes.  We learn to careful mask our rage in order to lessen the isolation this brings to your life.  People do not want to hear about something they don't understand.  The only way they would understand this kind of devastation is if they experienced it. I have had many people tell me, while out hanging posters for Karen to "get over it."  A lot of people just can't handle our reality!  We have learned to accept this! 

We were advised in 1974 there was 2-sets of different footprints at the scene where Karen's body was discovered. Your thought process about someone lied while being interviewed is shared. 
If you supply me with an address I can assure you receive some posters and bumper stickers....they are actually door stickers which will do no damage to your vehicle and are easily removable. 
My sister will be attending the press conference on Monday (Mar 8th, 2010) and she will be making a family statement, which will include speaking directly to Karen's killers.

Kathy/Justice for Karen

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 11:02:36 AM »
Karens Voice; my heart aches for you and yours.  I know how you feel.
Thanks Sleuth for your prayers and kind words. Homicide survivors do not experience anger they experience RAGE and it does not subside while the investigations go unsolved, no matter what amount of time passes.  We learn to careful mask our rage in order to lessen the isolation this brings to your life.  People do not want to hear about something they don't understand.  The only way they would understand this kind of devastation is if they experienced it. I have had many people tell me, while out hanging posters for Karen to "get over it."  A lot of people just can't handle our reality!  We have learned to accept this! 
You are sooooo right.  You guys are to be commended, and supported.  Thank you for standing up and making a difference.   Something tells me you will be rewarded.  And needless to say; for every family who keeps on hammering until they get the job done, many more will benefit in the long run.  God speed!

Sleuth

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 12:22:32 AM »
Hi Karen's voice. I have not forgotten about you nor your sister Karen. I think of you and your sister often and say a little prayer that soon two pieces of scum will be held accountable. Are the Police getting closer to a closure? 

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 06:18:30 PM »
Here is a video about this case
http://www.fixmagazine.ca/about.html

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 05:13:30 AM »
Media Advisory

1974 Unsolved Homicide - 14-year old Karen Caughlin

From: Caughlin Family     Date:  May 31, 2011       Time: 10:00AM

Location:  Pt Edward Holiday Inn, 1498 Venetian Blvd., Room: East Hall

Victimís Family To Request For OPP Commissioner Chris Lewis to Order An External Independent Review of the OPPís Criminal Investigation into the Unsolved Homicide of Karen Caughlin

(Pt. Edward, ON)  The Caughlin family will hold a press conference to discuss and seek public support for an external independent review of their sisterís 37- year unsolved homicide under the jurisdiction of the Ontario Provincial Police. 
Bob Sauve, father of homicide victim Kim Sauve (1983), will be in attendance.  Convicted killer, Richard Boudreau, remains part of both familiesí unease.
The Caughlin family will bring forward new information related to Karenís whereabouts prior to her murder.  They are seeking support for an independent review of Karenís investigation in the interest of truth and justice. 

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 02:37:02 AM »
That is great news! I sincerly hope after all this time, a courageous person who can help solve this case will come forward and help solve it!

Glad this is going to get some attention and another look!

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 06:49:52 AM »
The OPP denied the request within one hour of the press conference.  We requested that OPP Commissioner Chris Lewis meet with us before making his decision, but he refused.  What kind of police leader refuses to meet with a family who has been forced to deal with his organization for nearly 4-decades?  The OPP's liaison person (the cop in charge of Karen's case) threatened us the last time we met with him.  This is the person we are advised to talk with.  Commissioner Lewis states; his officers have been professional in every sense of the word, THIS IS BULLSHIT!  He also states Karen's investigation is being thoroughly investigated and this is not the truth and we can prove it!  If Commissioner Lewis would take 5-minutes out of his day and review the minutes of the meetings we have had with the OPP, he would have to retract such a statement, but the loyalty prevails in the boys club.  Commissioner Lewis is in Sarnia Ontario today (June 5, 2011) on  Crimestopper's business yet he couldn't give my family 5-minutes of his time!  What is to be respected about this? 
My message to Commissioner Lewis is...this is far from over and I will fight to have Karen's case reviewed by someone other than the OPP for as long as it takes, because both you and I know Karen's case will not be solved while it is under your jurisdiction.  People will be shocked to learn what has been going on!  What our private conversation would have been is now going to be made public!

Your question regarding why people will not come forward with TIPS regarding an unsolved homcide?  In Karen's case...why are the OPP not investigating TIPS from people who have come forward with pertinent information regarding her murder?   The OPP are in receipt of TIPS 7-years old that they refuse to investigate....and we can prove it!!  The TIPS are regarding convicted killer Richard Boudreau and his close associates in 1974.  Just because Boudreau's DNA didn't match doesn't mean he wasn't there!!!!!!!  The OPP have confirmed there was more than one person involved in Karen's murder.  The OPP have put huge effort into dodging Richard Boudreau.  How do you think the public will react to knowing Richard Boudreau was involved in Karen's murder?  How do you think the Sauve and Brazeau families will react, knowing Karen's investigation was botched by the OPP in 1974?
If someone is allowed to independently review Karen's case, they will discover TIPS associated to Richard Boudreau are not being investigated.  This is why the review has been denied!

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 02:26:50 PM »
The police are trained from the get-go to never say 'sorry', so I'm not surprised in the least they would refuse to admit mistakes or wrongdoing, or allow themselves to be seen as not doing their job. Infuriating.

Here's links to the articles below; I don't think the London Free Press actually printed these in the paper and are available only online. I'll post jpegs of a printed copy of each though in case the links disappear.

"Murdered girl's family: Cops botched investigation" (May 31, 2011): http://www.lfpress.com/news/canada/2011/05/31/18216096.html

"OPP Nixes Murder Review" (June 1, 2011):  http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/06/01/18221536.html

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 06:54:01 AM »
Timeline of the request of the Independent Review.

1)  In 2008 we asked the OPP (Case Manager & Superindent of CIB) for an external independent review?
Their response was : "We don't have a problem with an independent review."

2)  As 2009 approached we asked when the review was moving forward?
Their response: "Many things have to be considered first and this is not a good time."  The OPP begin to moon walk out of their orginal agreement to the review." I also contacted an officer from the FBI who stated in was interested in reviewing Karen's case but he would have to be invited in by the OPP.  The OPP refused.  I also contacted a firm in Victoria, BC which is run by retired police officers who implied they were inerested but would have to be invited in by the OPP.

3)  In 2010 the OPP did their campaign for Karen.  We asked if the campaign was being done to derail the independent review, since the reason a campaign would be done is to garner more TIPS.  Our family had already hung up in access of 8000 crimestoppers posters and distributed over 600 car decals from the years ranging from 2004 to 2009, which generated hundreds of TIPS.
We were advised in a very unprofessonal fashion that there will not be an independent review.  No explanation was given to my family and we were advised they are no closer to solving Karen's murder than they were 37-years ago. In the same meeting the OPP Case Manager admitted the (2004) TIPS involving Richard Boudreau had not been thoroughly and completely investigated.  Some of Richard Boudreau's associates from 1974 had NOT been investigated and were linked to TIPS received by the OPP, in 2004.

Karen's investigation is not being viewed with "fresh eyes" as the Commissioner states.  Between 2004 to present day, two different case managers have reigned over Karen's investigation and they both ignored the uninvestigated TIPS regarding Richard Boudreau and his associates at the time of Karen's murder. Subsequently leading 6-primary investigators down the same unexplored path.  Boudreau and his associates lived near our family home in Sarnia, Ontario.

WHY were we advised by the OPP, the OPP did not have a problem with an exernal independent review in 2008?  We as Karen's family do not have another 40 more years to give to the OPP, to solve Karen's murder.  Both our parents are now dead and Karen's siblings are now in our 50's.

In the UK, it is policy, if a serious crime remains unsolved for one year, the case is subject to an independent review.  This policy has resulted in an 93% success rate.  When a police officer is investigating a serious crime, they know if they are unsuccessful at solving it, their work will be reviewed within one year by his/her peers.  This policy promotes accountability and enhances the chances the crime will be solved, because a police officer becomes more mindful of being thorough with less errors.  The policy also allows, before years pass, for mistakes to be rectified before the investigation becomes riddled with more mistakes originating from one crucial mistake.  This is a policy which encompasses the rights of the victim.  When victims of crime become victims of botched police investigations JUSTICE becomes a mockery.  John Walsh of America's Most Wanted can attest to this.   

This is far from over regarding the OPP and the Caughlin family and our quest for Justice for Karen!!

amIam

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 04:59:34 PM »
Karen's Voice;  I read about your sister Karen's murder years ago.  I am not certain as to what program I watched as it was years ago..W5? or something Canada related re your sister.  At any rate there seemed somewhat of a re enactment of some sort and the double set of foot prints was mentioned.

As for the new person heading up the OPP, Chris Lewis and his refusal to meet with your family and all the double talk.  I agree, the double talk in my opinion had much to do with butt covering.  There is and has been much of the same happening regarding other cases in Ontario.  Too bad, Fantino didn't stay on but I feel it was a special effort when choosing Lewis as Fantino was a man who stood by the creed of truth.

There is more but far to long to state.  Good luck in your quest for answers and justice for Karen.

rkay

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 10:02:18 PM »
Just wanted to draw everyone's attention to Trevor Dailey's weblog entry about Karen from about two years ago. It contains an virtually encyclopaedic wealth of information on Karen's case, which makes for compelling reading:

http://trevordailey.wordpress.com/2010/02/08/

One might also want to see the update from May 30, 2011, which contains the PDF of the Caughlin family's news conference. Definitely worth reading:

http://www.execulink.com/~tdailey/Backgrounder-Speaking%20Notes.pdf