Author Topic: Karen Caughlin (14) - Murder - Sarnia, ON - March 16, 1974  (Read 69642 times)

soccermom

Re: Karen Caughlin (14) - Murder - Sarnia, ON - March 16, 1974
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2012, 08:25:34 AM »
Hi Karen's Voice --
sorry; I didn't realize you had already tried W5; I wonder if the program knew there was a growing community supporting you on UC (I don't know if you are also posting on Websleuths) if that would make a difference? Good for you for keeping up the fight. I imagine it is both hard to do, and hard to do otherwise. I hope you and your family will be able to take some time together this summer for a little holiday to enjoy each other, out all of this pain.

I think when you (re)petition the show, if you do, that you need to make it clear (if you haven't already) that Karen was not the victim of a hit-and-run. That was my first impression, in the first (middle-ish) posts I read (I haven't read all of the thread here; apologies); I didn't realize for quite a while that Karen had been beaten (I'm so sorry) and perhaps murdered in a different location and by different means (possibly) than the vehicular assault. Although someone who could leave a person after striking them down by car must also be brought to justice, it is much more significant in your cry for justice that Karen was the victim of murder and not accident.

Someone recently on this thread suggested a private investigator might help -- perhaps you could track the owner of the car at the time of Karen's murder? (Maybe some PI might be willing to do this at a lower cost or as a volunteer service, if there is some possibility later for recognition by solving the case or a TV profile of it?) 

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2012, 09:01:04 AM »
The PI's I have approached state in order to do a realistic investigation that they will need access to the case file.  Most as you know are retired police officers.  I so strongly believe in my heart that my family should not have to doll out thousands of dollars, which we don't have, in order to obtain JUSTICE in this country.  Especially through what we have experienced with the Ontario Provincial Police. It is shocking!!  Every time they change out investigators who have flat lined our trust, we listen to "well I am not him."  When trust is breached by people in positions of trust it doesn't come back because there is a new face assigned.  The OPP know it but we are told to suck it up!!  We are done sucking it up!!

Karen was beatin and then "run over" by a vehicle, not "hit" by a vehicle.  We have been advised by the OPP, the persons responsible for her murder were attempting to make her murder appear to be a traffic accident.  There is more than one person involved in her murder, because there was two sets of footprints found at the location her body was deposited.

Sometimes in Life You Just Have to Take a Stand!

To the world you maybe just one person, but to one person you maybe the world! Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow. My little voice is Karen's voice! The question isn't who is going to let me, the question is who is going to stop me from fighting for JUSTICE for my little sis? 

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2012, 11:27:04 AM »
It is harder to stay the course for eternity (or so it seems) than to fire off the entire quiver once and for all and forget it. I understand both and there is a balancing act to life in these situations. loved your words,  Bravo..   

More and more this sort of thing is being exposed, crimes that should have been solved but weren't because of incompetence, bungling, budgetting concerns, lack of manpower or something else?? Its the something else that is more and more being questioned when the Police hold all the cards and they themselves stand in the way of justice. Many on here are asking the same thing, how do you get around that? 

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2012, 05:00:20 PM »
It is extremely hard Di, and the only people who serve a life sentence with homicide is the famlies who decades later have no answers from the police. We are left emotionally crippled by the unknown, unable to heal!   It is also very hard to keep balance in ones life when you are fighting a justice system that is very broken.  I have made several attempts to walk  away and to ask God to help me accept things the way they are, that justice will be served one day but not perhaps on this earth.  BUT...something always happens to draw me back in like tipsters contacting me with very viable information only to find out the OPP have not investigated them.  These actions not only affect my family they affect many unsolved homicide families and it is just simply WRONG!!  Sadly these actions will affect a family who has not yet had to deal with the homicide of someone they love. Stock piling unsolved homicides is just WRONG and it needs to stop!

I don't know what the answers are, but I do know I always have ALL unsolved homicide families in my heart as I continue on my journey for justice for my sister.  Perhaps one day it will be recognized within policing communities that if a homicide goes unsolved for 1-year it immediately undergoes an independent review.  Many elements of a homicide investigation you can't get back once years and decades have passed.  There are many many positives to independent reviews and it ups the chances of resolve and also promotes public safety and accountability within policing. 

What External Independent Reviews Can Offer Canadian Law Enforcement

UK Homicide Success Rate - Over 90%

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2012, 06:24:13 PM »
You write very powerfully Karens Voice.  Maybe that is the answer.

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2012, 07:44:29 PM »

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2012, 07:59:43 PM »
Once again Karens Voice, powerful words seem to come easily to you.

Ever tried sending your written experiences and knowledge to various newspapers and magazines?  You don't seem to need anyone to get a message out for you.

The pen is mightier than the sword - especially yours.

Cheers.

kitnkrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2012, 08:55:27 AM »
Have you thought about approaching a lawyer in say Toronto and suing the OPP and any other Government affiliate you can think of for miscarriage of justice? If you find the right lawyer, they may work pro bono with the understanding that they get paid if you win and get money. There are a lot of TO lawyers that would love the exposure. I would have every police officer that worked on the case at all subpoenaed.  Maybe with this type of pressure, answers will come.

67Shawn

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2012, 01:23:46 PM »
I gave information long ago about a purple car in the same make they are showing in the picture, and not sure if they followed up on it.

kitnkrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2012, 01:29:10 PM »
I was reading your press conference and I must say, that there was a lot of information that I had not known before. Thank you for being so persistent. I wonder if you can say who the 3 boys were that were with her that night?? It is hard for people to relate if names are not used. It should not have to be kept secret, they were there and it should be public knowledge. Also I never would have connected Rick Boudreau, but yes, I'm sure he had lots of connections that may have been involved.....see his name is mentioned as a contributor....I think you should put all names on your site, it may be the only way to get people talking about it again. Listing people as friend A B C D really is no help. The friend she was with should not care if she wants to help.
Just saying?
http://www.execulink.com/~tdailey/Backgrounder-Speaking%20Notes%20copy.pdf

kitnkrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »
Why do the police have to give permission to exhume a body?? It is your family so you should be able to do it??

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2012, 07:06:51 AM »
To 67Shawn, could you send me a private message and tell me what you told the OPP?  I will look into it with the OPP.

The girl who Karen was suppose to be staying with that night does not want to help.  In fact my family has always felt she was not telling the truth. We believe because Karen changed her mind at the roller rink about staying with the girl she went to the roller rink with, that something happened to change her mind at the roller rink.  I believe she did enter the house on Brock St. even thou this girl claims Karen never showed up. Her parents were not home and I believe they went out somewhere and this is when Karen was murdered.  We do know Karen and this girl were in Richard Boudreau's company 72-hours prior to Karen's murder.  The OPP continue to choose to ignore these FACTS!!  We have had witnesses come forward to substantiate this information in the past 2-years and they were also ignored by the OPP.

I will take everyone's advice under serious consideration including the lawyers.  It is just to bad that money and lawyers have to be the key factors in providing a child victim of homicide JUSTICE in our country.  I am ready for a new plan...the first thing on my list is the August 18, 2012 Protest against the OPP. 

This article is in today's local newspaper and Karen is on the front page. 

http://www.theobserver.ca/2012/07/17/new-manager-on-caughlin-cold-case-file

Thanks for everyone's support it means so much!

Kathy Caughlin

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2012, 08:41:34 AM »
Great article! More and more people are asking some of these same questions. The illusion of an active investigation keeps many a victims family quiet but what else can you do? I totally agree that independant reviews are necessary. Canada is becoming notorious for not sharing information with anyone not even other law enforcement in other countries, not even the US. What do we have to hide?

from the article above-

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 09:23:58 AM by D1 »

SAP

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2012, 10:03:08 AM »
Karen's Voice:

Just a thought Karen ... there are several people here on this site from Ontario. Perhaps you might ask for a hand of help from the surrounding communities to help with your protest. I would if I were down there. More power to you.

67Shawn

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2012, 07:35:40 PM »
Message sent Karens Voice.