Author Topic: Karen Caughlin (14) - Murder - Sarnia, ON - March 16, 1974  (Read 68164 times)

leonagleant

• View Profile
Re: Karen Caughlin (14) - Murder - Sarnia, ON - March 16, 1974
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2012, 10:34:44 PM »
Not to follow up that tip about the car seems so glaring an oversight that it almost causes one to wonder if it was sheer incompetence or something more sinister. Like protecting the owner of the car because it belonged to the son of a police officer or something like that.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2012, 11:15:15 PM »
Makes one wonder??? Who paints a car like that with a roller?

kitnkrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2012, 10:13:11 AM »
This is why I would be going to the RCMP with info like this. I found it ridiculous and absurd how the lead investigator said it was investigated to death. How horrible. Maybe even a private investigator could follow up on the car.

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2012, 09:17:22 AM »
Thanks I will give it a shot!

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2012, 09:50:27 AM »

any wonder I spend countless hours dedicated to unsolved murders and missing people!!!!

It's a prime example of police doing what they want (which is often more like "not doing" what needs to be done) in order to accommodate something about their other interests.... by what?

It' is left to people like us to do the work ourselves....  and if they could stop us they would.  Clearly somebody is benefitting by keeping this oppressed, and it is definitely not precious little Karen, nor her broken hearted family and friends!  so who is benefitting by keeping this case stifled?  the actual perps?  someone paid to keep this under wraps?  who do you think?

http://eedition.sarniathisweek.com/doc/Sarnia-This-Week/sarniathisweek/2012042401/#0

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2012, 12:31:58 PM »
The lead investigator's comment rattles my family to the core and it is not the first time we have been subject to this kind of unprofessionalism when they have been caught ignoring TIPS in this investigation.  If the TIP was investigated "to death" as the lead investigator states; why is it they have YET to forensicly examine and photograph the car?  This car is from the US and this was one of the OPP's first grave errors in this investigation in 1974.  Sarnia is a border city and they never alerted the US/Canadian border officials of ANYTHING pertaining to Karen's murder! What kind of experienced investigator would make such a grave mistake?  When the police do not investigate TIPS in an unsolved homicide it pretty much sends the message that they already know who committed the murder.  We felt this in 1974 and when history continues to repeat itself and we keep going around and around, always ending up at the same disturbing spot, I would say someone has decided this case will never reach the inside of a court room.  THIS CASE NEEDS TO BE INDEPENDENTLY REVIEWS OUTSIDE OF OPP JURISDICTION!!!!   Karen is a child victim of homicide and she is their client and they have failed her at every turn and they should be fired!!  At least this is what happens in the real world when people fail to do their jobs! 

Karens Voice

• View Profile

kitnkrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2012, 06:47:29 AM »
I have read the articles in the paper. I am glad the paper is behind you and wish you the best in getting this solved.

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2012, 06:58:52 AM »
Part Two of the recent media coverage on OPP not investigating TIPS.

http://eedition.sarniathisweek.com/doc/Sarnia-This-Week/sarniathisweekvpmay2/2012050201/#0

Part Three will be on June 9th, 2012.

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2012, 06:58:41 AM »
A PEACEFUL PROTEST WILL BE HELD ON AUGUST 18TH, 2012 AT THE OPP PETROLIA DETACHMENT DEMANDING AN INDEPENDENT REVIEW OF THE UNSOLVED MURDER OF MY SISTER KAREN CAUGHLIN!! Five days after the investigative reporting in a April 25th, 2012 article ran, revealing the uninvestigated TIPS the OPP had in their possession for 2 1/2 years, the lead investigator opts to retire. This article was released today!

http://www.sarniathisweek.com/2012/06/12/opp-investigator-on-unsolved-murder-retires-caughlin-says-timing-right-for-independent-review

kitnkrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2012, 07:34:28 AM »
Very interesting that he retires now. I truly believe there is a big cover up in place. Protecting whomever must be exhausting. There is no reason to not have  a review except that maybe something may come out.
I hope they reconcider. This needs to be solved.

soccermom

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2012, 08:07:01 AM »
To Karen's family: I'm so sorry for this multiple violence --
both in the loss of your loved one and the difficulties you are encountering in seeing justice in her case. (Myself, I have been fortunate to have worked with outstanding members of LE -- but I know this isn't everyone's experience and certainly doesn't seem to be yours.)  Perhaps someone has already suggested this, but: I imagine a program like W5 (the title refers to the investigative Qs "who, what, where, why, when") might be interested in this story. W5 has a huge Canadian platform; I watched one program investigating efficacy/coverup in the SIU, "Special Invesyigation Unit: a toothless tiger?" so I know at least they are interested in investigating police investigations....

I do think the public spotlight you are placing on this case will help galvanize more action. There are many women and men in LE who are at once  honourable and efficient; hopefully some of these brave (young?) folks will move in and take some leadership -- officially or otherwise. Hang in there. And keep fighting the good fight.

soccermom

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2012, 08:16:27 AM »
The more I think about it, the more I think W5 would be a perfect outlet for media spotlight on this case; the show could address the issues of underresourcing in/for LE, investigative turnaround, citizen involvement, the crimestoppers system (this is hotly topical following the tragic travesty of the citizen report on the Luca Magnotta video record of murder) a family's refusal to give up, and histories of police coverup in Canada -- not that I'm certain this latter applies specifically here. But possibly even consideration of a "watchdog" national/international news program taking up this case might further push renewed work on the case and greater accountability -- even if the show doesn't take this story?

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2012, 08:08:15 AM »
Thanks Soccermom for your kind words, comments and advice.  I will try W5 AGAIN!

INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE!!
No child killer should take solace in the passage of time. The OPP have granted a child killer decades of freedom by derailing the justice process. It's our duty as human beings to be pissed off at injustice.

The Leadership Of OPP Commissioner Chris Lewisviable alternative investigative avenue regarding the unsolved homicide of a child, yet he supports the OPP participating in the equivalent?  Why do other police LEADERS in Canada and abroad identify and ascertain the potential in external reviews of unsolved major crimes and he  only sees regression?  Is it possible their quality of leadership has surpassed the need to possess all of the answers in the best interest of justice for victims of crime?  How many more years of freedom for a child killer will be acceptable to Commissioner Lewis before he recognizes an alternative investigative avenue??  WE WILL CONTINUE TO FIGHT FOR AN INDEPENDENT REVIEW OUTSIDE OF OPP JURISDICTION!!

Update:   The OPP have still not gone out to forensicly examine and photograph the car they failed to investigate after having the information in their posession for 2 1/2 years.  This has become a pattern with the OPP.  When they make mistakes and those mistakes are known to others, it would be an admission of error on their part if they now went and did what they should have done 2 1/2 years ago.  This segiment of the investigation will now become invisible!! 

When pieces of the investigations are being ommitted because they are riddled with mistakes...the investigation becomes doomed to fail.  This is why an independent review is vital to the resolve of Karen's murder!