Author Topic: Karen Caughlin (14) - Murder - Sarnia, ON - March 16, 1974  (Read 67642 times)

Karens Voice

• View Profile
Re: Karen Caughlin (14) - Murder - Sarnia, ON - March 16, 1974
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2012, 07:06:36 PM »
I am pretty good at math and I am already aware this kid was too young to have murdered my sister!!!! That was not my point of bringing this case forward!!

Sleuth

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 06:14:47 PM »
Sorry, it does come across as duh...when I was typing that I was actually pondering something that didn't make sense. So I will ponder out loud. Karen and her friend arrived at the roller skate rink. This was a Saturday. Karen left the roller rink with another female and made tentative plan's to sleep over at her house. Did Karen phone home and ask permission, or to let her parents know that she was sleeping over at her friend's hosue? Karen's female friend went home. Did this friend have a curfew? If not why did she go home at that time and leave her friend with boys Karen felt comfortable with? They ate and then Karen asked to be dropped off at her friends house at 1:00 in the morning.  Which meant that Karen would have to knock at the door, or ring the door bell. Would/was her friend still awake and doing something? Or was Karen's friend asleep and the parents? Would Karen chance waking up her friends parents by knocking on the door at that time in the morning? Or did Karen tell her friend that she would be at her house at approx 1:00 in the morning? Did the friend hear the vehicle arrive and the slamming of a vehicle door? Did the guys in the vehicle watch while Karen walked up to the house, or did they immediately drive away? What time did Karen's friend say she went to bed? What are the odds of a girl walking what, a hundred yards from the road up to the door and vanishing? Very slim. Who were this friends neighbours at that time? Any one with a criminal history? Or anyone with a criminal history visiting and being up and outside at this time? Would Karen scream if she was being taken from that spot? I would have to say yes because she fought at the place she was left at and injured one of her killers. She would have screamed and fought and dropped her purse, maybe, in the process. To me it doesn't make sense for Karen to ask the guys she was with to drop her off at her friends house at that time in the morning when her own house was just down the road. My mind keeps coming back to that and gnaws away at it.

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 10:07:24 AM »
You have some of your infomation wrong and you failed to consider this!!  What if when Karen was dropped off at her friends house (friend B) and she actually entered the house?  This house had no parents home at the time!  What if Karen and her friend went out somewhere together and this girl has been lying all along?  Karen went to the roller rink with one friend (friend A) from school and met up with another friend (friend B), where she was dropped off.  The girl Karen went to the roller rink with was not aware until she got dropped off at her house around 11:00 pm that Karen had changed her plans.  She fully expected Karen to get out of the truck when she did.  Something at the roller rink changed Karen's mind about staying with friend A and she decided to stay with friend B. She had been hanging out with friend B at school!

My parents were not aware Karen was not coming home!  She did not have permission to stay out! This was also on Friday night, she was dropped off technically 1:00am Saturday morning and her body was found nine hours later @ 10:00am on Saturday morning.   The boys who dropped her off on Brock St (block away from our family home) did not wait and or look back to see if Karen entered the house.  I believe she entered the house where friend B was waiting with other male individuals.  NO PARENTS WERE HOME ALL NIGHT LONG!!!!

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 10:17:38 AM »
I also wanted to say thank you, to all the people who run this web-site....thank you for caring about our sons...daughters....brothers...sisters....nieces....nephews....grandchildren and friends who have been brutally murdered at the hands of other human beings and who continue to enjoy their freedom with no regard to human life.  Our pain, torment and grief is endless as injustice continues to prevail.  Everyone eventually meets up with death's door and God will see that justice is done!  I commend you all for your efforts and you level of compassion you so clearly have for us unsolved homicide survivors.  The tears running down my face are tears of gratitude to you all!!   

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 10:26:13 AM »
  UNSOLVED HOMICIDE SURVIVORS learn very quickly they must wear a mask to survive in a world where very few understand the depths of our pain, torment and endless grief.

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2012, 07:03:09 AM »
****ATTENTION*** THE COMMUNITY OF SARNIA

We would like to hear from anyone who has come forward to do their civic duty pertaining to the unsolved murder of Karen Caughlin.  If you have received NO response from the OPP, Crime Stoppers and or were rejected by the Sarnia Police Dept.  and you believe your TIP information has never been investigated by the Ontario Provincial Police, we would appreciate if you would please contact us @ caughlink@shaw.ca

If you received a business card from an OPP Detective Constable and the phone number provided on his/her card has been disconnected, we would also appreciate hearing from you.

Unfortunately we have no choice but to work with the OPP. Our independant review request was swiftly rejected by the OPP last year. We are asking the community of Sarnia to help us re-do what should have been done years ago. So please, if you had called in a TIP and have had no response email Kathy. Please help us demand JUSTICE FOR KAREN!  Thanks for your continued support.

Deeply appreciated,
The Caughlin Family

kitnkrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »
There was an article printed in the Sarnia Observer a few years ago from a woman claiming to know information. It was a huge spread. This woman claimed that one of the people involved confessed on their death bed. The police seemed to find they were a unreliable source of information. Did they even check into it? I found it disturbing that there was this huge article about it and nothing was ever said more about it?
Also I heard years ago that there was a car that matched the description that was burned to bits from the Corunna area, but again, was that true or was it just gossip?
I find it so hard to believe that in a city...or county...as small as Sarnia, Lambton, that no one knows anything.
I am the same age as Karen and our class actually went to her funeral.
Just remember that these people can be anyone...maybe they are being protected by someone.
This latest person found guilty of killing the woman in Petrolia should have the DNA compared to his.

kitnkrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 07:12:16 AM »
What about going to the RCMP? Don't they interject if you have info that is possibly involving OPP?
Is it true that when this all happened that a car matching the description was found burned in Corunna? If so, that is very suspicious and it does not sound like it was followed up too much.
Cops kid a suspect of interest....how interesting?
There must be other avenues that can be forced to take a look? What about a private investigator? I know that would probably cost a bundle, but I wonder if they would find anything. I also found it interesting when I read that all of the leads in your sisters file went missing before it went to OPP, is that true?

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2012, 12:37:52 PM »
We have discovered by asking many many questions after the OPP showed up again after 28-years of silence, that there was an over abundance of information missing from the case file.  My family believes the information never made it into the case file.  When you ask the OPP the same questions but with years in between and get different responses, this pretty much sums up what is going on!
I remember the OPP received a report of a burned out car out towards Corunna back in 1974 because we brought the issue up with present day investigators.  The response we got was there was a note in one of the police officers notebooks reflecting the information but it has never been confirmed the information was investigated.  Which doesn't surprise me considering the OPP did not even look for evidence on Brock St....the last known place Karen was seen alive.  I believe if the person(s) responsible for Karen's murder  walked into the OPP and confessed...they still wouldn't solve Karen's murder.  They have destroyed our trust, confidence and faith in our justice system.  They worry more about their image than a victim of crime.  They are not the Ontario Provincial Police...they are the Ontario Political Police! 

kitnkrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2012, 06:30:05 AM »
How very sad, thank God, you and your family have never given up on your sister. I am sure that some day this will come to light. I am also sure there are a lot of others out there keeping an ear to the ground for information. They caught the person from the Petrolia crime so many years later, so there is always hope.
Keep on persuing the OPP and I would also contact the RCMP and anyone else that I could think of. You are doing all you can for now.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »
I have been reading and don't really know what to say except it has been a very long time to be given so little. Clayton Millers family has been trying through freedom of information to force disclosure and that is well worth keping track of. There is potential for many others to follow the same procedure if and once it is worked out.
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=2017.0

It is of note that there are at least two other discussions of victims with somewhat similar circumstance involving children of Police officers involved in the murder. One the Amber Kirwan murder has the same potential lurking but has had the thread shutdown on here and very little being said in the news out where it happened.
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=5383.0

Then there is the disturbing situation facing the family of Dana Turner. The suspect is the son of a former high ranking Police member. The son has been charged but only after a loud outcry from Dana's mother. She even threatened a lawsuit after finding video surveillance evidence the Police originally claimed was not there.
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=5282.0

There are lessons to be learned from every individual situation we find on here. I hope something can be found that will be useful to you all. Sorry to the family and congrats for staying the course all those long years.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:05:15 PM by D1 »

Karens Voice

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2012, 07:19:03 AM »
Thanks for your reply and information.  I am also a strong believer in lessons learned can assist others.  I was determined many years ago to educate myself and if the police refused to give me the answers I was seeking regarding the numerous aspects of my sister's unsolved homicide...I went to people who could answer them.  The more you know the better the chances are of getting to the truth.  Unsolved homicide families face many WALLS with the police especially when a question reflects something that should have been done in the initial investigation that was not done.  BUT these investigatice issues that were not done have a great impact on what direction an investigation should be going decades later to get to the truth.  When pieces of an investigation are being eliminated or avoided because there was mistakes made by the police decades ago, pretty much determines the present day investigation will FAIL!!  Victims' of homicide deserve JUSTICE, they don't deserve to be used as pawns in a game of police politics. Not to mention the torture families continue to endure while faced with this!!  Learn to climb WALLS and educate yourself!!