Author Topic: Mary Emma Hammond - Missing - Brantford (September 8, 1983)  (Read 10538 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Mary Emma Hammond - Missing - Brantford (September 8, 1983)
« on: September 24, 2007, 11:59:42 AM »
Mary Emma Hammond (nee Bisenthal) left her townhome unit on Elgin St., Brantford, Ontario around 3:30 a.m. on September 8, 1983. She had the early morning shift at the former Buns Master Bakery, 110 Morton Ave., where she had worked for approximately one year.

Mary declined her husband's offer to drive her to work and left the home alone on the approximately 1.5 km walk.

Walking north on Park Road North (now Wayne Gretzky Parkway) she passed the Massey-Ferguson factory and cut across the field towards the rear of the bakery. Approximately 4:00 a.m. a co-worker called Mary's husband asking why she hadn't arrived at work. Her footprints were followed to the property line at the rear of the bakery and to a point where Mary cut across a field. They then disappeared.

Police were notified. Evidence at the scene includes some items from her lunch, a cup, dish and a half-eaten apple, one of Mary's white sockettes and a small quantity of blood in an area of the field.

At the time of her disappearance Mary Hammond was 25 years old, 5'10", 140 lbs., with long straight reddish-brown hair, brown eyes and a fair complexion.

She was last seen wearing a blue, mauve and red lumber jacket, blue jeans, white Adidas running shoes with a silver stripe and a yellow T-shirt.

Investigators received information that a pickup truck left the rear of the bakery around the time Mary disappeared. The truck was seen parked at the back of the bakery parking lot and later driving through the rear lot. It is described as an older brown pick-up possibly a Ford, with painted bumpers and round headlights. Despite appealing to the public and an exhaustive police investigation, no truck matching that description has ever been found.

Anyone with information about Mary Hammond is to contact the Brantford Police Service at 519-756-7050 or Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

Incident #83-24791

http://www.police.brantford.on.ca/hammond.html

Sleuth

Re: Mary Emma Hammond - Missing - Brantford (September 8, 1983)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:26:58 AM »
Does anyone know what is happening with this case?

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 05:30:28 PM »
I commend these authorities for looking into this case, and for being open to those who feel they may have information to come forward, after 29 years.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 11:11:07 PM »
I notice the article says: "In their statement released Thursday police said recently they were able to identify new evidence in Hammonds' disappearance and strongly identify people who may have been involved.  The people of interest include a former resident of Brantford who is now deceased".
    The wording makes me believe that there was more than one perp. 
And...if they solve this crime, is it linked to any other unsolved from that time period?
"Strongly Identify" sounds promising.  And they are searching a home and collecting evidence!

I am thinking the Police got a solid TIP. 

bienna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 08:02:01 AM »
I'm waiting for answers on what they found in that house. We just passed the 29 year anniversary of her disappearance and I still remember finding out about it and telling all of my friends at school the next morning that my Aunt had disappeared. Both my Dad and Granny went to their graves not knowing what happened to their sister/daughter. I hope they have found some kind of leads that will put this to rest. We are all thinking of her and wishing she was still here. Love you Aunt Mary.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 09:21:45 PM »
Here's hoping for answers. Whose house is being searched?

LadyVenom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 09:43:03 PM »
Wow after all these years i'm so glad they have made such a great breakthrough in this case, if only they would post another update thus far into their new information and investigation. Fingers crossed their next update will be that this case has finally been solved for the friends and family.

bienna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 03:40:54 PM »
Here is the link for the last story that was published in June in the Brantford Expositor. The police had forensics and canine units there to look in that house for something. Just don't know what they found yet. They said it would be a few weeks for forensics and it's been 3 months and we haven't heard anything yet. I check the site every day.

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2012/06/22/mary-hammond-is-still-missing

Searching

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 07:34:18 PM »
Nothing was found at the Market street Address for Mary Hammond her trail has gone cold again :(. There has been alot of disappearance in 1983 of women I am wonder if this is the work for a serial killer?

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 08:13:13 PM »
The Mary Hammond case will be one that will be featured at the May 5-9th Ontario Homicide Investigation Association Conference.

JB
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:25:01 PM by jellybean »