Author Topic: Debbie Silverman (21) - Murder (Aug. 12, 1978)  (Read 51542 times)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Debbie Silverman (21) - Murder (Aug. 12, 1978)
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2016, 03:43:33 PM »
Yes, go back and re interview the last people that saw her. 
True, about Olson.... can't believe much of what he said.

In my attempt to "think outside the box"..... if possible locate and interview the tenant who claimed to have found her purse, etc inside the hallway of the side door.

Cops interviewed all of the neighours, and  I assume they did not go into anyone's apartment to check for her person. Usually, that is how they do it initially, ie bang on doors and ask if anyone saw or heard anything.

It is his word also, as to where he found these items.

He kept a piece of her jewelry.  Debbie was not rich.  She worked as a waitress most of the time, and eventually found a better paying job.  So - her  jewelry would not be  worth much.

Her sister found her purse outside their apt door at approx 11 a.m. Why did he not knock on the door and give the purse to her Mom? and if no answer, why did he not leave a note saying he had found these items of her daughter and to come over and he would hand them to her..... Surely, a neighbour would be concerned when they found the purse with panties, and broken necklace. Why risk her purse being stolen by other tenants if left outside the apartment door?

Panties neatly folded in purse..... could mean something very perverted.  Men would stuff them into a purse, not neatly fold them.  Don't ask me how I know - as I have never had the occasion to see what a guy would do[ lol.]... I just sense that most of them would not.

So, from 5 am to 11 a.m, that is a six hour window - lots of time to do things.

Just a possible theory....

jb

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 04:15:59 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2016, 04:54:41 PM »
I suppose the neighbour that found and placed the purse was interrogated fairly good..He had to have volunteered the info about finding the purse and must have been ashamed to admit he kept some jewelry.

Perhaps her mother noticed that a piece was missing...... I doubt if he would have volunteered it.

Besides, how would he know that Debbie would not know that a piece was missing? -  If innocent, he would assume that Deb would go after him and ask him for it, as she would know the items that she had in that purse.

Or did he know that she was dead, thus helped himself to the piece of jewelry?

No doubt all were scrutinized and interviewed many times.

jb
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 05:03:14 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2016, 05:50:15 PM »
If we could back to that initial investigation...I would have had two separate investigations ...Follow the kidnap at her building and still follow the last known person(s) to have been with her.  Today they would have done this type of investigation , back then...NOt so much..

That is why all of this time has passed, and it will never be solved imo

jb

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2016, 08:12:18 PM »
And --- to go over the statements of the tenant, her neighbour.

She was also found without panties and without shoes. This rape and murder happened indoors imo. The panties reappeared neatly folded in her returned purse by the tenant.

She was seen leaving her friends house in her vehicle. and her vehicle was parked in her stall at the apartment bldg.

The tenant, her neighbour,  had the better opportunity. imo

I am surmising that he thought it would be safe to hold back a jelwelry item (a souvenier) as he knew she was dead, because he had raped and killed her.

Go over all of the exhibits, and look for any fibre's, or human hair - anything that may have been saved.

Perhaps there were a number of suspects.

There is very little to go on.

It will take a confession to solve this one.  I doubt if it will ever be forthcoming.

JB
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 10:20:10 PM by jellybean »

forest

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2017, 02:31:34 PM »
Ive read through this entire thread and that neighbour seems suspicious to me. They refer to neighbour as being 'he'. What is striking is unless he was close to DS, how did he know those items belonged to her? Being a man, he'd need to be quite observant  to remember what his female neighbours purse looked like.
Also, there was some talk about the point of entry to the burial site. A few of you went there and stated it would be way too covered up with the summer trees in bloom. Back in the 70's I'm sure it wasn't nearly as bushy as it was when you went to look in the last few years. Also I'd imagine that farmer was checking his beehives on the regular and is up and in the fields early in the AM. If DS was buried during the day/morning I would think farmer would notice something.May have been a night job. Maybe the neighbour knows farmer or a mutual person
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 05:32:18 PM by forest »

Snively

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2019, 11:06:39 PM »
Police think one man murdered two women

Toronto Star - Monday March 30, 1992

Two Victims:  Deborah Silverman, and Alison Thomas both vanished one month apart in 1978.  Silverman’s body was found three months later.

Two young Metro women who vanished about a month apart 14 years ago are cases that police believe  may have been the work of a serial killer.

Deborah Silverman and Alison Thomas had both been in the Yonge St.-Eglinton Ave. area on the nights they vanished in late summer, 1978.

Silverman, a 21-year-old receptionist, had been out with friends at a disco on Eglinton Ave. before driving home alone later that night on Aug. 12.

Police said she was attacked just as she was walking into the back door of her apartment building on Bathurst St., near Finch Ave., around 3 a.m.

Investigators believe she struggled with her killer, who ripped off her clothes, leaving behind her panties and her purse just inside the door of the building.

Three months later, her body was discovered in a shallow grave in the Sunderland area, north of Whitby.

Her hands were tied behind her back.  She had been shot to death.

She may have been followed home a man who frequented the same bar, one detective said.

Just over a month later, 26-year-old Alison Thomas went to a dinner party at a home in the Yonge and Eglinton area.

She left by herself late that night on Sept. 29 telling friends she was going to walk to a taxi stand on Yonge St. and take a cab home.

It was the last time anyone ever saw, or heard from her again.