Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Cameron Gerald March | 4 | Missing Burlington, Ont. | Last seen May 7, 1975  (Read 9921 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
CASE #     1975-14472
NAME:     Cameron Gerald MARCH
DATE (Last Seen):     7 May 1975
DOB:     31 March 1971
AGE (Last Seen):     4
RACE:     Caucasian
HEIGHT:     92 to cm : 3 ft 
WEIGHT:     19 to kg : 42 to lbs
BUILD:     N/A
DENTAL:     Braces on lower left side of teeth,
    one top front tooth discoloured 
HAIR:     Blonde, just below the ears
EYES:     Blue
UNIQUE FEATURES:     N/A
MEDICAL:     N/A
HABITS:     N/A
CLOTHING:   
White T-Shirt, w/green band around neck &
monkeys climbing on front of shirt
Rust brown corduroy pants
Navy blue socks
Brown desert boots

PERSONAL EFFECTS:     N/A
SUMMARY:     MARCH was last seen in a neighbour"s yard adjacent to the home of his parents at about 3:00 pm. Extensive investigation and exhaustive land and air searches have been carried out; however, to date, this person has not been located. 
LOCATION (Last Seen):     In the area of 5349 Blind Line Road, Burlington, Ontario

Halton Regional Police are asking for the public's assistance in this investigation. Halton Regional Police are asking anyone with information related to this matter to contact the Detective Sergeant at the Major Crime Bureau at 905-825-4777 extension 5082 (charges collect) or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Please quote the case number and victim's name when calling. Thank You

Dave

• View Profile
Again, I have no idea how I came across this.  I was in High School when he was lost.  There were about 20-30 friends that cut classes to join in the ground search.  I was drawn from the Marianne experiance as a child I think.

I wish our efforts were more positive.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Hi Dave,

There does seem to be a few cases of young girls going missing in the GTA - London area during this time. Was there a fear back then that something was going on? Was there any theory that was accepted at the time as to what happened?

Thanks

AJ

• View Profile

I was Cameron's age when he disappeared and lived nearby.   My father and brother helped out in the search.  I remember coming home for dinner, late, shortly after he disappeared and my parents lost it on me.  They had called the police who were searching for me and my friend.  There doesn't seem to be much media attention on this.  I am having trouble finding old articles. 

There was a man in Kilbride who was considered a strong suspect in the Schuett case and considering Cameron disappeared from nearby I wonder if he was a suspect in Cameron's case as well.

Any new info or direction where to look for it, would be appreciated.
[/quote]

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile

Hi AJ, You were a youngster yourself. I haven't heard of this missing child, but will try to dig up something, even remotely connected. It also appears that there many young, that disappeared, in Ontario.Some could be connected, who knows?

While growing up. did you hear of stories? What did people think?
Thanks for coming here.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Yes lots of young people missing or murdered in the mid 70's. Maybe more then ever!

AJ

• View Profile
Never heard a whole lot about it other then I was always wide-eyed when I biked or drove past the house.  What I do remember, correctly or not, is that his mom was hanging clothing in the backyard and he disappeared from the front yard.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
That is really sad. Just like that. The monster must have been waiting for his chance. Must have been the worst feeling a human can experience to have that happen.

Fraser

• View Profile
Hi - I am new here. I found your website because occasionally I do a web search about this little boy. I was a teenager and clearly remember when he went missing. For some reason I always had it in my head that he lived in Caledon. I don't know why but this case is one that has always haunted me and I have always wondered what happened with it. I was out of the area for many years so I didn't know what had happened with it. I also remember that his mother was hanging laundry and that there was something about a waterhole or pond nearby and that she searched it for him. I think I even remember that she may have been pregnant at the time. I also thought there was something about a car being seen nearby, on a hill or something. Anyway, it has obviously stayed with me and I wish I could help with it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 07:36:02 PM by ohna »

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Hello ohna,

I guess there was probably a big search in those days for the child. Do you remember if there was any other theories going around? I strongly suspect this was the work of a pedophile. Just how does a child disapear without a trace like that?

I assume you were just a kid yourself then, but I am sure it must have been very scary not knowing what happened.

Fraser

• View Profile
I honestly remember being in my bedroom with the radio on when they first announced he had gone missing. There was a massive search. They dredged the pond, everything. I seem to recall that his mother even tried to find him in the pond (that might be my imagination). I don't remember any theories but now that I see the other children that went missing in that area around the same time(Tracey Bruney, age 5, murdered, May 14, 1975 - Etobicoke
Kathryn Herbert, age 11, murdered (head trauma), Sept 24, 1975), it really makes me wonder if there wasn't a link between them. I think it has always stuck with me because he did just "vanish". Also, I find it strange that I always thought that he was from Caledon and I only learned last night of the disappearances of the two boys in 1981 from Caledon. Maybe I had heard of them and got their location mixed up with Cameron March's.

I also suspect that it has bothered me all these years because I had wished at the time that there was something I could do. I lived in Dundas at the time so I wasn't really close enough to be able to help.

Anyway, because of this web-site and the information I have learned from it I am considering volunteering with child find.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:50:10 PM by ohna »

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
considering volunteering with child find

I've thought of that too. That and training to be a PI. at least PI's are not restrained by procedure and law like police. I am sure lots more can be learned this way.

alknon

• View Profile

Woodland

• View Profile
Here is a photo of Cameron from the Halton Region Missing Persons File.

http://www.hrps.on.ca/CrimeFiles/Lists/MissingPersons/DispForm.aspx?ID=5

alknon - do you know when the picture of the older child was taken?  The smile seems very similar.  Good eye for spotting detail.

me

• View Profile
I went to the link to view the photos released by NYPD and I find it assinine that they would release most of these photos at all.  There are multiple photos of the same girls, there are shots of the backs of heads, photos so burred as to be unrecogizable.  I counted 10 pictures of the same girl before I stopped bothering to count.

Why in the world wouldn't they sort these photos and pick the clearest ones to show the public?  Shoddy work by both the police and the Daily News.

Sorry, venting >:(

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here