Author Topic: Raymond VENERUS - Murder - Milton (February 21st, 2007)  (Read 15708 times)

rlaughton

• View Profile
Re: Raymond VENERUS - Murder - Milton (February 21st, 2007)
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 08:00:22 PM »
I was checking an update on this file and saw the Halton Regional Police have a web page dedicated to unsolved murders. Ray is on the list, as are many others.

http://www.hrps.on.ca/CrimeFiles/Pages/UnsolvedHomicides.aspx

A Police Officer is one of the unsolved homicides?

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 01:43:09 PM »
Thanks. I'm going to take a look and see if there some cases not listed here already.

rlaughton

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »
Milton Canadian Champion - February 23, 2012
(5th Anniversary of the Murder - still unsolved - see note about weapon)

This was on the front page of the local paper, here in Milton Ontario where it all took place.

If you Google "Ray Venerus" there is a lot of additional information.

rlaughton

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 08:31:55 AM »
The initial KMZ file I included with the site locations and links to the Halton Regional Police information was lost when Google Earth shut down the old site.

I found the new FORUM and have added the old files back to the system. With the new site, you must be a REGISTERED USER to view the MEMBER PERSONAL SITES. It is free to register. I guess I should have put it in another location on their site.

You can find it here:

http://googleearthcommunity.proboards.com/thread/2862/ray-venerus-homicide

A copy of that file has now been placed in the shared mediafire folder as well:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/25x1d4a87d1ccf1/Raymond_Venerus_Homicide%2C_Halton_Regional_Police.kmz
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 07:07:57 AM by rlaughton »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 10:08:52 PM »

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/2957170-police-look-for-leads-in-venerus-murder/

Jul 06, 2007  | Vote0   0
Police look for leads in Venerus murder
Burlington Post
Almost five months after a Milton man was gunned down near his rural home, police still haven't made any arrests.

But that doesn't mean they aren't actively investigating the murder of 55-year-old Ray Venerus, and officers are continuing to appeal to anyone with information to do the right thing and come forward.

"I certainly believe there's someone out there or more than one (person) with information," said Det. Sgt. Al Frost of Halton Regional Police's homicide unit.

"I'd love to have those people reach out to us. We're always looking for the public's assistance."

Venerus was discovered shot to death near his Dublin Line house, south of No. 5 Sideroad, February 21 by a passerby.

Venerus, a local businessman, owned a building on Regional Road 25, just south of No. 5 Sideroad, that contained an Olco gas station and Miltowne Automotive Services and ran Ray Venerus Enterprises Ltd., a used auto dealership, out of that building.

Frost said there are five investigators currently working on the case.

"We're pursuing interviews and investigating (a number of) avenues."

Since the investigation is ongoing, Frost said he can't reveal much information about the murder -- such as how many times Venerus was shot or whether it was a drive-by shooting -- or the police investigation, including whether they have suspects in mind.

What he could say is police continue to believe it wasn't a random killing.

The public, he said, can be confident in the resources police have committed to the case.

"We're doing all we can in terms of continuing to pursue this," he said.

This is one of about a dozen unsolved cases in Halton.

Frost said he remains optimistic the killer will be caught. Someone somewhere likely has important information that could lead to a break in the case, he said.

The number to call with information is (905) 825-4747, ext. 5082.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The business,  Milltown Auto Services Repairs still exists. /jb

rlaughton

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 05:30:37 AM »
I just realized today I could update the old posts that had broken links. Some of the Toronto Star original articles are gone and I do not have paid access to the archives. From now on I will save them to a separate storage site so they do not disappear.

You can find any of the files that I have used here: Ray Venerus Homicide Storage Folder

I have located most of the articles in the Milton Champion, so I will put them in there as well.

The gas station referred to in the above post appears to have changed from an OLCO Station to a GLOBAL Station but I do not yet know if the ownership has changed. Interestingly, if you use Google Earth Street View you get two different pictures at the same site. You will note that the building on the right has the same address.

The site location:

Milltowne Automotive Services
8612 HWY 25, MILTON, ON L9T 5H1
Tel: 905-878-5984
GPS:

All the Milton newspaper articles are now in the storage folder for the period February 2007 to May 2016.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 05:51:01 AM by rlaughton »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 02:55:14 PM »
rlaughton.  Thank you for sharing your very meticulous records on this crime with us.

I did note two things - through google of course, that a baby boy was born in 1970 to a Raymond Michael Venerus, and am wondering if this is the  victim's son from his first marriage and  named the boy after him?

I mention this, as in 2008, a man in his 30's with the exact same first, middle and last name, was arrested by the Milton police for possession of estacsy and dangerous weapons.
And in a small place such as Milton, what would be the odds that the victim and this man are not related?

I also noticed in Ray's obit that the wording was very low key.  Unlike most obit's, family names were not given.  The word family was used only.... not the wife's name, etc.
This struck me as unusual, Ray being a noted local business man, and according to his cousin worth millions.

Since Ray owned much in the way of real estate, and leased many of them out, it would be interesting as to who cashed in upon his death.

The fraud charges executed on a Prison is very daring - and I'll bet the business partners had a lot of laughs about that, until they were caught!!

His murder appears to be an inside, revenge type of killing. in my opinion.
Or, I wonder if the police were constantly keeping an eye on Ray, and he had to be killed so that he would not talk to the police.... on heaven's knows what!!

While the police are saying that it is important to the family that they have justice, I also wonder if police suspect that his murder is possibly linked to other things and believe that his murder covers  - a wider net - shall we say.

Why else would they use a re-enactment of the killing as a first, for Milton police, and why else have they stayed on this case for so long?
They do have other unsolved crimes that the police could have used.  Actually, the info given out was very little. Too little to jog anyone's memory, other than those involved.

In my opinion, and I agree with other posters,;the only way that they will find out who killed Ray is if some small time hood is picked up and makes a deal, in my opinion - or as the police suggest an ex-spouse or associate might have a change of heart and say something worth noting. The above statement by police, makes me think that they are terrified to talk, which makes me wonder about a wider net of criminal activity.

His ex business partner is doing very well in the waste disposal business in Moncton NB.
Not a hint of scandal. A company that NB can be proud of. This makes me wonder who was the real mastermind behind the prison swindle?

And who if anyone  might have been involved in giving them the contract and taken a cut?  Just surmising....which is not surprising!

The date of the trials of the fraud have not been given, nor how long this company swindled before being caught. 

How easy would it be to find a hit man who was just released from prison?

However, the police did say that his murder may not have had anything to do with his past.
  I for one do not believe them.

Ray got out of his vehicle, so how could he be mistaken for his son?
If his son was the target, and the father was murdered by mistake, regardless, they would have got the son by now.

And I just learned via the video that there were several of them.  Who witnessed that?

And one last thing, why would Ray get out of his car?  I wonder if it was an "arranged meeting"? - and he walked into a trap?

jb

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:15:49 PM by jellybean »

rlaughton

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2016, 10:38:48 AM »
I have uploaded a number of other newspaper reports and documents to the shared MediaFire folder for Ray Venerus.

As I live in town, I know the names of the family but I do not think they would want that information made public. If that information is required by a member for a specific purpose I can release those details directly to the member. Some of the information is in the new newspaper accounts that I uploaded, thus it is already public.

I also researched the related companies and their Owners/Directors/Officers. That is a relatively easy task to search on-line. The information is interesting, however it does not link any of those people to that specific crime.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2016, 01:07:46 PM »
Thank you for sharing your files.  I have  read a few of them so far, and it is indeed a mystery.

Often, people will leave comments at the end of the articles, and through a few, I have learned that he was also a grandfather, in addition to being a father of young children, his death  has created innocent victims.

His murder was a cowardly act, and there does not appear to be any acts of retaliation, so am assuming this killing was a one off - and it will not go any further.  Almost 10 years have passed.

I wonder if there is still "talk on the street", and if police are keeping their ears close to the ground.

I wonder if he was generally known to police prior to the fraud charges, and if they had additional concerns about him - after? Perhaps this fraud incident was the first and only offense against him?

If police are saying that there is no connection between his murder and the past fraud charges, then what else did  the victim find himself in to warrant his murder?

That is the BIG QUESTION

Murder is a final act.

ps. A news article in the folder, is headed Five from Fero Waste - 4 officials and one company employee.  Only 3 company official names were given along with one company employee.
Was there a fifth?

jb

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:23:18 PM by jellybean »

rlaughton

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 06:57:22 PM »
That might be a reporting error as the Toronto Star 23 February 2007 article says:

The three men and bookkeeper Deborah Ann Marple of Milton all pleaded guilty in 1995 in Milton Provincial Court to six counts each of uttering forged documents in connection with the scam.

I could not find any mention of a 4th and the business was owned 50/40/10 by the 3 men charged.

Albino Pischiutta went to New Brunswick where he still runs Fero and Doriano Poloni appears to be with a waste management firm in Rexdale Ontario. It appears the bookkeeper Deborah Ann Marple was not really involved.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 07:50:05 PM »
The men are sticking to what they do best..... Waste Management. How did they get contracts after being charged with fraud and placed on probation?

I wonder if the employee who was owed $19,000 ever received his money??

And even more serious, from a tax payers point of view,  do Municpalities, OR private companies not bother with  back ground checks on their vendors?

Same goes for obtaining  business license, bonding and workman's comp for their employees.
Waste Mgmt can be a dangerous job, and accidents can and do happen.

jb
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:56:47 PM by jellybean »

rlaughton

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2016, 06:53:28 PM »
A new reenactment of the crime was made in 2016 by the newsgroup at CHCH TV in Hamilton, Ontario. I regularly search for a release of this new video but it has not yet appeared. If anyone has found it, please post the link.