Author Topic: Raymond VENERUS - Murder - Milton (February 21st, 2007)  (Read 16217 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Raymond VENERUS - Murder - Milton (February 21st, 2007)
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:21:38 AM »
Raymond Venerus, 55 years.
Occurrence No. 12901-07
Address: Dublin Line South of 5 Sideroad, Milton, Ontario 

At 9:50 am on Wednesday February 21st, 2007 Police were called to Dublin Line south of #5 Side Road in the Town of Milton. Raymond Michael Venerus was found shot to death, lying on the ground outside his motor vehicle which had been left idling.

Ray Venerus was a long time Milton resident who over the past several years operated several local businesses.

Investigators are appealing to the public for help and any information that can assist in identifying the person or persons responsible, and can help solve this serious crime.

If you have any information on this case please call the Major Crime Bureau at 905-825-4747 Ext.5082 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

Please quote the case number and victim's name when calling. Thank You.
http://www.hrps.on.ca/data/homicide/homicide_12.asp
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 10:40:44 AM by Chris »

rlaughton

• View Profile
Re: Raymond VENERUS - Murder - Milton (February 21st, 2007)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 07:16:29 PM »
Last month I did up a Google Earth posting showing the information relative to the Raymond Venerus case.  I use this approach quite a bit in my research on WWI soldiers from the Milton area, to track their fate in the Great War, in battle and to the final grave.  I thought it might have some application to adding to an unsolved mystery, as many people around town asked "Where is it that this guy lived and was killed"?  Halton Crime Stoppers and Halton Regional Police are aware of this Google Earth Tour and asked me to leave it in place.

If you have not used Google Earth Tours before, once the file opens click the play button (in the dark red oval) and the tour will start.  More details will be added as they become available.  The following is just a "snap shot" of the screen from the Google Earth Posting.  The see the full map click on the link or the image.  June 12, 2008: I should have noted on the Google Satellite Image that the Venerus home is the property near the "tail" of the red arrow, the only home in that area.  Next time I do an update on Google Earth I will add a pointer to the house.

The two (2) YouTube videos from Halton Region Police Services follow the Google Earth posting. (Note: if it says the video is no longer available, just use the link to go the video as it is still there)

Download the KMZ file that opens in Google Earth with details shown in image: Venerus KMZ File

YouTube Crime Reenactment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPgIg2jolk

YouTube Reward Announcement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVbL5h2sJyw

Most recent newspaper report:

Quote from: Stephanie Hounsell, Milton Champion

News, Apr 04, 2008

Police are reaching out to the public, offering a $20,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person -- or persons -- responsible for killing 55-year-old Raymond Venerus last year. The reward was announced Monday afternoon during a hastily-called press conference at Halton Regional Police headquarters in Oakville.

The announcement has been posted on YouTube under "Venerus homicide" for added exposure.

Police are hoping the reward -- which expires March 31 of next year -- will entice someone to come forward with new information.

"This is an attempt to reach out to the public in a way we don't often," said Sgt. Brian Carr to reporters and camera crews.

The reward will be shared proportionally amongst people supplying information at the conclusion of the trial and any ensuing appeals, police said.

Venerus was found shot dead on the side of Dublin Line -- north of Hwy. 401 -- near his home at 9:50 a.m. February 21, 2007 by a passerby. The small business owner was found lying on the roadway next to his Jeep Cherokee.

Police are asking anyone who may have seen something unusual from the early morning hours to 11 a.m. February 21 to call the Venerus Homicide Tip Line. Anonymous information doesn't qualify for this reward, which was approved by the Halton Regional Police Services Board and is separate from Crime Stoppers.

Halton police chief Gary Crowell told reporters homicide officers have followed up with numerous persons of interest in the case, but no arrests have resulted.

The case has proven challenging for investigators given the limited number of leads, he said.

Investigators spoke with more than 200 people who knew Venerus, but "none of the tips were fruitful," Crowell said.

A reenactment of the crime aired on CHCH around the one-year anniversary of the murder, but garnered no tips, he said.

Nevertheless, he said he wants the public to know investigators haven't given up.

"Investigators continue to actively pursue leads," he said.

Inspector Chris Perkins said Venerus was "known to police," but that police don't believe there's any connection between that fact and his murder.

At the beginning of March, the reenactment was placed on YouTube, marking the first time Halton police have utilized the popular video-sharing medium. It received about 1,200 hits, and on-line comments that could become leads.

Lead investigator Roger Wilkie of the homicide division said Venerus leaves behind a common-law wife, an ex-wife and two children, all from Milton.

May 28, 2016: I just realized I could edit the posts and update the links. I have also put copies of all the files that remain active, that I have posted, in an on-line folder: Ray Venerus Files.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 05:13:13 AM by rlaughton »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 01:22:23 AM »
That is fantastic stuff! Great job with that.

Is there any theories about this case? IT does seem planned.

Keep up the great work, if you make more files be sure to send us the link here so we can see it.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 07:56:38 PM »

Venerus was found shot dead on the side of Dublin Line -- north of Hwy. 401 -- near his home at 9:50 a.m. February 21, 2007 by a passerby. The small business owner was found lying on the roadway next to his Jeep Cherokee.

I just found this, and watched the videoes. Surely someone saw, a vehicle or 3, hanging around until Mr. Venerus left his home. How would they know when he was leaving, or was it someone he knew?Someone he was in contact with. I wonder what his regular hours were for work? Or was that the time?

I think people are afraid to talk... ???

rlaughton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 09:27:36 AM »
The suspicion was that it was a "professional hit".  The area was quite remote and it is unlikely that cars would have been driving in that area, other than on the expressway (the 401) that is south of the property.  Anyone that drove down to the house did so intentionally.

Most of the stores and restaurants in Milton now have posters, so they are looking for that one person who does know something.  It will probably be solved one day when someone does a plea bargain on another case and trades information for leniency.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 03:55:57 PM »
This certainly sounds like they were waiting for Mr. Venerus to leave home. They laid in wait for him.  Especially the fact that he lived in a remote area. Hope they catch the killers of this man. If he was known by officers, I wonder what for? Maybe he was involved in criminal activity of some kind. Sorry for his family to have to go through this.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 04:37:01 AM »
The suspicion was that it was a "professional hit".  The area was quite remote and it is unlikely that cars would have been driving in that area, other than on the expressway (the 401) that is south of the property.  Anyone that drove down to the house did so intentionally.

Most of the stores and restaurants in Milton now have posters, so they are looking for that one person who does know something.  It will probably be solved one day when someone does a plea bargain on another case and trades information for leniency.

I'm thinking pro hit too.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 12:29:25 PM »

Yeah, It is sounding like a pro hit. I wonder who was behind it.

Thanks rlaughton for all the information, as well as insight!

Probably business, or connected. We never know for sure what man will do, or re act in a conflict. It could of been anything. I am glad I am not rich in money(tho wish I was at times! Ha!)

rlaughton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 09:22:51 PM »
Some other information:

Toronto Star - Police Probe Milton Slaying

The company that Raymond Venerus was involved with was shut down in Ontario and the owner moved to New Brunswick and restarted the business:

Albino Pischiutta & Fero New Brunswick - link updated 28 May 2016

More About the Ferro Company Crimes - this link is no longer available

So, you think maybe there was some "bad blood" somewhere and that some information was not yet known?

During the 1990s, Venerus was an officer in Fero Waste & Recycling Inc., a company that went out of business a decade ago after being hit with charges of overbilling customers ? including the Maplehurst Correctional Centre ? and cheating on GST payments owed to the federal government.

After being hit with fraud and tax-evasion charges, the company then became embroiled in a nasty dispute between former partners, with Fero president Albino Pischiutta moving to New Brunswick to set up another waste-management firm.

He was also sued for $19,000, for what a former employee called unpaid wages.

Pischiutta declined to comment yesterday about the death of his former partner.

"I don't want to talk about it," Pischiutta said three times, and then hung up the phone.

Police said yesterday Venerus was slain sometime between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. Wednesday.

Halton police say they'd like to talk with anybody who might have seen any unusual activity in the area of Dublin Line and Highway 401 on Wednesday until about 11 a.m.

Pischiutta had a 50 per cent interest in Fero, with Venerus controlling 40 per cent of company stock, and Doriano Poloni of Campbellville owning 10 per cent.

The three men and bookkeeper Deborah Ann Marple of Milton all pleaded guilty in 1995 in Milton Provincial Court to six counts each of uttering forged documents in connection with the scam.

A judge ruled that Marple did not benefit personally from the scheme.

The case involved losses of about $79,000 to six customers, including the jail, between Jan. 1, 1991 and Dec. 1, 1992.

A five-month police investigation found they falsified documents and generated phony invoices to justify the amounts they were overcharging.

In 1997, Fero was back in trouble with the law, as Judge John Robinson of Ontario Court (General Division) fined Venerus $10,000 and Poloni for obtaining a fraudulent Goods and Services Tax rebate.

The company was also hit with $157,389 in fines for evading payment of the GST, by understating its income by $2,359,382.

By doctoring the books, the company was also able to get a GST refund of $15,245.

**forum link removed
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 05:00:33 AM by rlaughton »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 04:04:29 AM »
Yes, so often a 'junior' partner wants more then what they are entitled too. It does seem more likely that this was a hit then.

Good research by the way.

rlaughton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 05:50:15 PM »
A reliable source tells me that the partner was "clean" and not involved in any way.

There is a theory "about town" that it was a collection of accounts due on his son and Ray was "in the wrong place at the wrong time".

That may be all conjecture.  I have no knowledge of the son, etc.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 12:37:16 AM »
A reliable source tells me that the partner was "clean" and not involved in any way.

There is a theory "about town" that it was a collection of accounts due on his son and Ray was "in the wrong place at the wrong time".

That may be all conjecture.  I have no knowledge of the son, etc.

Good point. Family would be next then. I am glad the partner is clean, that makes this a bigger mystery though.

rlaughton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 01:24:48 PM »
There is an update to this story, as it appeared in the Milton Champion of Friday March 27, 2009.

(May 28 2016: The link was broken so I am just leaving the text. I will put all the articles in a current post)

Here is the text for those than can not follow the link or in the event the link is removed at some time in the future:

Quote from: Milton Champion
A $20,000 police reward for information regarding the murder of a Milton man has been extended for one year.
The Halton Regional Police Services Board recently approved the extension of the existing reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or people responsible for murdering 55-year-old Raymond Venerus two years ago.

The morning of February 21, 2007, Venerus was shot and killed a short distance from his Dublin Line home, Halton police said.

A passerby found his body lying on the road next to his Jeep Cherokee.

An autopsy revealed the cause of death was a gunshot wound to the head.

Anonymous information won’t qualify for any portion of the $20,000, and claims for the reward will be recognized only when made in writing prior to March 31 of next year.

The reward will be shared proportionally between the people supplying the information at the conclusion of the trial and any appeals.

To learn more about the reward, visit www.hrps.on.ca or type in ‘Venerus homicide’ in YouTube at www.youtube.com .

If you have information about the murder, call Halton Regional Police Service’s Venerus Homicide Tip Line at (905) 825-4747, ext. 5140. You can also e-mail information to Sgt. Roger Wilkie at roger.wilkie@hrps.on.ca .

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 05:18:31 AM by rlaughton »

Silverdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 09:50:28 PM »
Sounds to me like a deliberate hit. **Someone** had something to gain by this man's death. Who inherits his 40% share of the business? Did he have life insurance? Would his death enable his creditors to get the money they were owed? Or was someone just fed up with waiting for it?

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 09:57:38 PM »
right on Silver.

Follow the money. Thats usually where you'll find the culprit in these type of cases.