Author Topic: Sheryl SHEPPARD - Murder (January 2nd, 1998)  (Read 46816 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Re: Sheryl SHEPPARD - Murder (January 2nd, 1998)
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2011, 03:12:27 PM »
My thoughts and prayers are with the family today. On this anniversary, perhaps we can post all we know about this case. Here are details found on NAMPN, that have not made it on this thread yet.

Missing Since: January 2, 1998 from Hamilton, Ontario
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: September 29, 1968
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 105 lbs.
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Blue
Race: White
Distinguishing Characteristics: Tattoo on ankle - unknown which ankle
AKA: Fisher, maiden name Sweeney
Case Number: 98-501950
Dentals: Available, teeth were stained
DNA: Available

Details of Disappearance
Sheryl Sheppard, who shared a Stoney Creek apartment with her mother has been missing under suspicious circumstances since January 2, 1998. She could have been missing since New Years's Day.
Sheppard was born and raised in Hamilton and attended Notre Dame High School until grade 10. She married at 21 but the marriage lasted less than six months. A second marriage lasted one year. Sheppard worked at Tim Hortons at Sanford Avenue North and Cannon Street East in Hamilton since it opened September 1997.
Her fiance proposed to her live on Hamilton's television station ONtv on New Year's Eve, she accepted a marriage proposal this television appearance is believed to be the last time anyone saw her. Friends say the two had dated for about two years, and he had moved into the apartment with Sheppard and her mother several months before.
Her fiance was to have dropped her off at the Concord Hotel in Niagara Falls for a dancing gig on January 2, but police say she never arrived at the hotel. The Concord manager said she was not scheduled to work his establishment and he has never seen her. Friends and family say she had a stormy relationship with her fiance.
She was supposed to have picked up her mother at the Pearson Airport January 4, but she never showed up. A check of her apartment turned up her wallet and identification.
Foul play may have occurred
Her fiance was found in a storage locker with his car running.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Hamilton Police Service
Detective Peter Thom
(905) 546-3843

Source: NAMPN
http://www.nampn.org/cases/sheppard_sheryl.html

OPP Missing Person
Case No. 20080154OPP

http://www.missing-u.ca/MPDetail.aspx?PersonID=697

Hamilton Police Service
Case No 98-501950 as reported on

Source:  http://www.hamiltonpolice.on.ca/HPS/CrimeFiles/Rewards/rewardssheppard.htm

Help Find Sheryl Sheppard Facebook page
<link removed>

Crime Files Cold Case Special:
http://www.locatetv.com/tv/crime-files-cold-case-specials/2045681
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/bcasting/ann_rep/lta_c2.pdf

Ontario's Missing Adults:
http://www.missingadults.ca/viewMAcase.php?case=ON-MF-1998-01-01126&DateOfDiscoveryStart=&DateOfDiscoveryEnd=rldnhvqwgyhwqo&&StartAt=210&EndAt=245&CurCase=240

There is a mention of the Sheryl Sheppard case in this document (but you have to purchase to read). Does anyone know what this article may have said.  Here is the snippet when Googled:
Feb 7, 2006... in the Hamilton General morgue when he worked the Sheryl Sheppard case. ... had gone missing in January 1998 and was presumed murdered. ...
Post-Mortem; Justice at Last for Yvette Budram

Porchlight Canada:
http://s13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightCanada/ar/t1258.htm

Biography - Missing People - "Mother Longs to Learn Daughter's Fate/Sheppard, Sheryl" December 30, 2002
http://www.nflibrary.ca/nfplindex/show.asp?id=208214&b=1

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 07:42:00 PM by debbiec »

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2011, 03:32:09 PM »
I wonder if the Hamilton Spector could do an article on Don Forgan, again, but this time the focus on Sheryl's story. It was his first. Wrap his career with the efforts on this case. Or, if he wasn't responsible all these years, perhaps an interview with one who was.  A beautiful human interest story may bring out the compassion. Just enough to find some answers that come forward. You just never know.

A snippet from the Hamilton Spector article:

Sat Mar 06 2010 
Witness: A true crime story Part 1 of a seven-part series: Cold blood

...Don Forgan had started as a cop very young; straight out of high school he bugged an officer at the station until he got hired. He grew up in Hamilton, his parents were from Scotland. At eight years old his mother enrolled him in bagpipe lessons, Monday nights at 7 p.m. The Monkees TV show was on Mondays, so Don resisted, but grew to love the instrument, eventually played in competitions and won his share. With the pipes, you are judged not on the emotion you show while playing, but the emotion conveyed through the tune. Don let it flow through his music.

After 20 years on the job, in 1998, he was assigned to homicide, what was then called the Major Crime Unit. He was made for the work, intense, always up for a case, quick-witted and thoughtful, could put a family in pain at ease in the morning and grill a suspect in the afternoon with equal effectiveness.

First day on the job in homicide, Jan. 4, 1998, assigned to new partner Warren Korol, who was riding high in the branch, having arrested Stoney Creek serial poisoner Sukhwinder Dhillon three months earlier after chasing the case all the way to the Punjab. Forgan walked in the door on the second floor at Central Station and Korol met him immediately.

"Don't bother taking your coat off Donny, we've gotta head out. New case."

"But I don't even know where the coffee pot is yet."

The case was a missing person/suspected homicide, the victim's name Sheryl Sheppard. The body was missing, so there was no crime scene. They started at her apartment; you always start at the victim, start with people closest to her, and work out. ...

For the full article:  http://www.thespec.com/news/article/265176--witness-a-true-crime-story-part-1-of-a-seven-part-series-cold-blood

Part 1

Part 2
http://www.thespec.com/news/article/265180--witness-a-true-crime-story-part-2-of-7-naked-eye

Part 3
http://www.thespec.com/news/article/265181--witness-a-true-crime-story-part-3-of-7-bad-man

Part 4
http://www.thespec.com/news/article/265186--witness-a-true-crime-story-part-4-of-7-dark-fate

Part 5
http://www.thespec.com/news/article/265196--witness-a-true-crime-story-part-5-of-7-underworld

Part 6
...There seemed no other avenues to pursue. He was getting tapped by his senior officers to work other cases, including revisiting the Sheryl Sheppard cold case...
http://www.thespec.com/news/article/265632--witness-a-true-crime-story-part-6-of-7-evil-presence

Part 7
http://www.thespec.com/news/article/265634--witness-a-true-crime-story-part-7-of-7-life-after-death

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2011, 03:43:57 PM »
Another article mention of the case:

'Death in the family'; Chapter 1
JON WELLS
February 7, 2006
THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR
(Feb 4, 2006)

Snippet:

...The message from Warren, on Saunders' voice mail, had continued: "Shelley, we've got a situation here. Got some remains out here in Flamborough and we're hoping you can help us out. I've got authority from the coroner that you can assist."

The voice belonged to Hamilton Detective Sergeant Warren Korol. He had first met Saunders in the Hamilton General morgue when he worked the Sheryl Sheppard case.

Sheppard, a 29-year-old former exotic dancer and doughnut shop worker, had gone missing in January 1998 and was presumed murdered. Some bones had been found at the bottom of a hydro dam in Niagara. Saunders offered an opinion on the nature of the bones, in case there was some connection to Sheppard. Korol thought Shelley was a dynamic lady, extremely intelligent.

Turned out that the bones were not Sheppard's, and her body was never found.

After hearing Korol's message, Saunders knew she would need to drive to McMaster, where her office was tucked at the end of a narrow hallway on the fifth floor of Chester New Hall. Her office was not much bigger than a walk-in closet, with models of skulls decorating a packed bookshelf.

She kept her kit for attending crime scenes in storage on the fourth floor. It was like a large fishing tackle box, contained trowels, brushes. For this case, Saunders knew, she would need to take the blue box out into the country, might need to do an excavation.

Her academic work focused on examining clues, meticulously, over years, to gradually unearth answers about those who had died long ago.

This death would not be so ancient....

http://www.thespec.com/print/article/199640

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2011, 08:08:25 AM »
May 17,2011 from Hamilton Spectator

Reward boosted in Sheppard murder case

Maybe this will motivate someone to come forward with information, overcoming fear or old allegiances.  We can only hope so for the sake of Sheryl's family and friends.

Techgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2011, 05:23:52 PM »
I am new to this site, and sent a message to hardware.  Hopefully it helps.  Good luck

butterflies

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 10:12:49 AM »
wow. so many care, It sounds like mike lavoie may have some serious issues. it sounds like a long violent past, with more than one woman. there is a lot of good advice here as well, for people close to this case

a. perhaps she is somewhere lavoie has been before, where has he been?
b. he said he murdered his wife and kids, where did he say he put them?
c. one lady says he told her he fantasized about killing her, how much of the fantasy did he tell her?
d. on the off chance that he was sorry for killing her, where in his sick mind would he think she would want to be layed to rest?
e. this may sound sick, but if he liked it, has anyone noticed any other missing women or jane does, that are similar to sheryls case? if he is what people say and he did fantasize about killing, wouldnt that make you wonder.
f. it doesnt seem like anyone on this site who may know sheryl are sharing what they know with each other, you may jog each others memory.
g. find help for yourselves if you havent
I wish you all the best and hope she is found and that everyone finds peace.

Great points.  That one is very alarming though. I sure hope his children (although definitely grown by now) are not in any danger. Looks like another year has sadly passed. I am hoping this case gets solved. The family needs closure.

I'm just wondering, do you think the proposal was a way to "cover up" a premeditated murder or maybe things went sour shortly after the proposal? Things just don't add up.

hardware

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2015, 09:32:25 PM »
i did talk to an investigator on this case few years ago. Even talked to the mother on the phone for a short time. The British detective came across to me as having his own view point on who was responsible and i was threatened from him after talking to the mother or step mother with harrassment because of it. Until another detective is assigned to this case with an open mind i fear this case will never be solved. I feel alot of focus has been placed on mike lavoie and its a closed door case. Needs a new detective with an open mind.

2soccermom

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2015, 08:19:36 AM »
hi Hardware -- I can only imagine how frustrating/burdensome it must feel to have information you feel could be meaningful
to the family and yet be unable to pass it along. But at the same time, I understand why families of victims need protecting
(I mean generally, not of course in specific relation to you) when they are in so much pain. I wonder how you might feel about
writing a letter to Sheryl's family, and including there all the info/questions you have, and requesting that a detective pass that
along? That way, you might feel like you have more control over what and how info gets communicated, while still honouring the
clear desire LE has generally to protect families. Do you trust there is someone in LE close enough to the case that could and would
be able to do this for you? Could you put this sensitive info into text?
Again, I can imagine how it feels to carry info you think could help, but not be fully able to release it. Hang in there. I hope the
"in-writing" thing might work  (but I can also understand why this might not be satisfactory to you....)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 08:30:43 AM by 2soccermom »

hardware

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2016, 11:28:23 PM »
It is frustrating as the years go by. This case is old and needs a new detective on it. Is don still on this one. They shouldn't leave a case with one detective for 20 years. He's already accused someone and doesn't want to admit maybe he's wrong and look passed it. Personally speaking to the detective i found him very rude and unprofessional and wouldn't want him working on my behalf. He made it clear to me by yelling at me in a phone call if i talked to the mother again i would be charged for harassment by him. He is one sided and just wasting time as i feel. What has he done besides accuse someone publicly who has never been charged. Then to say there was no cooperation from the party. That basically means they didn't admit to something even though they could of been totally innocent in the first place and didn't know anything. But they wanted a confession because really they don't care who they lock up. I've been bent over the bar stool before by the finest and know just all too well how they work. I feel for the family and hope one day they get closer.     

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2016, 04:34:57 PM »
This is a case that is being investigated as a cold case. It is on CBC listed as "SOMEONE KNOWS SOMETHING". I just listened to the first episode of this case, which started Nov 21. If you go to cbc.ca.sks, you can get the story there. I thought this case would be on here, but it isn't. You can listen to the details and maybe you can post the link on how to get to this on here. It is a very sad story that her mom gives on the interview.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

mock

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2017, 08:39:34 PM »
Please if you know something , come forward   . I think this case as gone on to long  and maybe they have  not looked at any other  possibilities and narrow in on only one person. I know you have tried but please try again

mock

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2017, 08:41:08 PM »
The above message is for hardware , sorry I don't know how to address it him so he can see this . I am new at all this

mock

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2017, 11:13:58 PM »
Does anybody know how I can send Hardware a direct message . If he has information  I want to ask him to try to contact someone again . He has tried but nobody will listen . Sounds like he has tried now for a few years  The police seem to have focused only at one person  maybe  he has some information that may lead to other possibilities.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2017, 02:24:41 AM »
Hi Mock, welcome to Unsolved.

To message hardware go back to his post and click on his name on the left hand side. That will bring you to this below:
hardware
Email .... (shows as envelope)
Send PM
Show Posts
Show Stats

Click on "Send PM". That opens a box with a message form. When you have written the message, click Send. A notification will appear in his e-mail. Also under his name there is shown an envelope and if you click on that and send message it should go straight to e-mail.

I hope this helps. :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 02:28:09 AM by Sap1 »

mock

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2017, 07:36:42 PM »
Thank You for your help. If Hardware  see this please come forward with any information. They are currently doing a podcast  on this case maybe you can let them know your thoughts  without having to speak to the police again. The littlest thing could be helpful.   You may be right  they have not focused on any other possibilities or suspects. Its been going on to long