Author Topic: Three Elderly Women Murdered, Huron County, 1970s  (Read 827 times)

George Fayne

• View Profile
Three Elderly Women Murdered, Huron County, 1970s
« on: May 24, 2018, 10:27:27 PM »
Three elderly women were killed in their homes in Huron County in the early 1970s.  They all lived alone.

I'm not sure if these murders are necessarily linked, but I'm curious to know if anyone living in Huron County at the time knows of any of these cases.

The first victim was a retired high school teacher named Katharine Macgregor (70), from Clinton.  She was stabbed in her home in January 1970.  She was found fully clothed. 

The second victim was a 76 year old from Crediton.  Pearl FahnerUnfortunately, I cannot find any further information about her, aside from the fact that she was brutally beaten in November 1970.  A teenager was charged shortly after.

The third was Jane McMurtrie (93) from Hensall.  She was strangled and sexually assaulted in her home.  Nothing was taken.  The crime seems fairly planned.  I've started a separate thread for her here.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 02:50:49 PM by George Fayne »

wellwell

• View Profile
Re: Three Elderly Women Murdered, Huron County, 1970s
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 07:36:22 PM »
Three elderly women were killed in their homes in Huron County in the early 1970s.  They all lived alone.

I'm not sure if these murders are necessarily linked, but I'm curious to know if anyone living in Huron County at the time knows of any of these cases.

The first victim was a retired high school teacher named Katharine Macgregor (70), from Clinton.  She was stabbed in her home in January 1970.  She was found fully clothed. 

The second victim was a 76 year old from Crediton.  Pearl FahnerUnfortunately, I cannot find any further information about her, aside from the fact that she was brutally beaten in November 1970.  A teenager was charged shortly after.

The third was Jane McMurtrie (93) from Hensall.  She was strangled and sexually assaulted in her home.  Nothing was taken.  The crime seems fairly planned.  I've started a separate thread for her here.

Audrey Gleave came to mind.

George Fayne

• View Profile
Re: Three Elderly Women Murdered, Huron County, 1970s
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 01:17:43 PM »
This sort of killing seems to be indicative of a larger pattern.  I wonder if anyone with a sociological or criminological background can shed light on the statistical probability of sexual crimes directed towards older women, living alone.  I'm interested in knowing if this type of murder was common in the 1970s.

Poor Audrey Gleave!  She sounded like a cool lady.

There was also a similar home invasion crime against an older woman in the Windsor area in the 1990s, but I can find little information.

There's also the (sensationally named) "Chambermaid slayings" in the London area in the 1970s, though the victim profiles were a bit more specific.