Author Topic: William STAPLES & Rhonda BORELLI - Murder - Hamilton (January 20, 1998)  (Read 12414 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Case Number
98-508276-0

Circumstances
William STAPLES and his daughter Rhonda BORELLI were reported missing to the Hamilton Police Department on January 20, 1998. Also missing was the 1997 white GMC Sonoma pick up truck that was owned by William STAPLES.

On June 8, 1998 the bodies of both persons were found in the locked covered box portion of the missing vehicle that was found parked in the Park'n Fly lot on Dixon Rd. in Toronto.

The Hamilton Police Services Board is now offering a reward of ten thousand ($10,000) dollars, to be paid in Canadian funds, for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for these murders.

Any decision relating to the payment of the reward, or any portion thereof, shall be based solely upon the recommendation of the Chief of Police.

$10,000 Reward

For information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible.

Please forward all inquiries and information regarding this case to:

Det. Rick Arnold, Major Crime Unit
Hamilton Police
905-546-4123
http://www.hamiltonpolice.on.ca/HPS/CrimeFiles/Help+Us+Solve+This+Crime/rewardsstaples.htm

Whistle

• We will be judged by the way we treat our children
    • View Profile

Mom

• I will always protect my child.
    • View Profile
Re: William STAPLES & Rhonda BORELLI - Murder - Hamilton (January 20, 1998)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:07:32 AM »

Thanks for the update Whistle.... somebody's in trouble......  That was a doozy of a find.

And welcome also to our forum - please feel free to browse around and help yourself to cookies.  I'm embarrassed, if I'd know we were having company I'd a baked a cake and tidied-up a wee bit.

;)

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 08:47:30 PM »
Yes, thank you so much, Whistle.  It's great to have someone updating us on some of these Hamilton cases.

I will be watching this case more closely now.

Whistle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »
Thx Mom  :)

Whistle

• View Profile
http://www.900chml.com/Channels/Reg/NewsLocalGeneral/Story.aspx?ID=1680135

Here is a link to some more news about this crime. I'm sorry but I can't copy and paste the article from my IPad.

Whistle

• View Profile
 Here is the text of the story link from the last post. From Hamilton's 900 CHML site.

Mark Staples ordered to stand trial
CHML
4/2/2012

A Dundas man has been ordered to stand trial on two counts of first degree murder, more than 14 years after the slayings of his sister and millionaire father.

An Ontario court justice has ruled that there is enough evidence for Mark Staples to go to trial.

67 year old William Staples and 36 year old Rhonda Borelli went missing in January of 1998.  Their decomposing bodies were later found in the bed of the older victim's pick up truck in a parking lot near Pearson International Airport.

The accused, who was the chief beneficiary of his father's estate, was arrested in June of 2010.

His trial is expected to start early next year and it will likely take place over a couple of months.

curiousminds

• View Profile
Mark Staples Trial supposed to begin TODAY (September 22, 2014)
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 10:06:24 PM »
Mark Staples Trial begins TODAY (September 22, 2014)
(Bold by me in the article below)

Clairmont: Orphaned by murder, this is the boy who was left behind
Hamilton Spectator

In thepalm of his hand there is a tiny gold locket.

It is tarnished and without a chain. It lies open.

In one half is secreted a black and white photograph, no bigger than his thumbnail. A picture of a man with a droopy moustache.

"That's my father. I don't know his name. He died when my mom was still pregnant with me."

In the other half is a colour photo of a baby with a toothless smile.

"That's me on my first Christmas when I was in foster care."

Most everything that links 21-year-old William Swayze to his beginnings is nestled in his palm: The father he never knew. The unstable childhood. Kept in a locket that belonged to his murdered mother, Rhonda Borelli, whom he barely remembers. She was killed, and much later found alongside his murdered grandfather, Bill Staples, of whom he has no memory at all.

William was four when they died.

His uncle, Mark Staples, is about to stand trial for their murders.

For 16 years, Mark has been the prime suspect in the homicides of his millionaire father and sister. Beginning Sept. 22, he will have his days in court.

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/news-story/4690066-clairmont-orphaned-by-murder-this-is-the-boy-who-was-left-behind/

I believe this is his case:
Hamilton
45 Main St E
Sep 22, 2014
Daily Court List Search Result (Superior Court of Justice)
CriminalParty Name   Case Number   Short Title of Proceedings   Time   Room   Appearance/Event Type
S., M.W.   CR-12-00003446-0000   R. v S.   10:01 AM   SCJ TRIAL   TRIAL
http://www.ontariocourtdates.ca/dockets_view.aspx?p_id=c9THne4xQWMaCT%2fjiCUNUW5EqEyhVO%2fs0lPef5qngtwpuU%2bnurDH01DPBIGI2F4srYOdpZNlFqZn1QZ1l8ofTn2YfOEpiWXeKtYHsxzBq3K%2fL1aUoEYsd2bKOclZIYXXwmgw%2f3noEqXTAdgK0ko3biLPjx2xqnUSYPhXI5VFjdk%3d
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:17:36 PM by curiousminds »

curiousminds

• View Profile
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:33:15 PM by curiousminds »

curiousminds

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 09:32:31 PM »
Note: currently there is a short news video located at the link below

http://www.chch.com/jury-selection-begins-staples-murder-trial/

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 01:05:09 PM »
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4914533-staples-life-in-disarray-ex-wife-tells-trial/
October 16, 2014

Staples' life in disarray, ex-wife tells trial

Accused killer's marriage, business and family relationship in ruins before death of father, sister

Mark Staples' life was in shambles even before his father and sister were murdered.

His wife had left him, taking their young daughters with her. He was deep in debt. His new golf centre was failing. His mother had died. And he was barely speaking to his dad.

This is the dismal picture painted by his ex-wife, Cheryl Echlin, testifying at Mark's murder trial Wednesday.

Her hands shaking and her voice wavering, Echlin, 49, never looked directly at Mark as she took her place in the witness box.

He, however, watched her intently as he leaned on the table he shares with his defence team.

Mark is facing two counts of first-degree murder in connection with the January 1998 deaths of his father, Bill Staples, and sister, Rhonda Borelli. Five months after they disappeared from their Binbrook farm, their bodies were discovered in the back of Bill's truck parked near the Toronto airport.

Mark became sole heir of his father's estate, worth $1.4 million.

Echlin married Mark on Feb. 2, 1985. As a wedding gift, Bill gave them a parcel of land across from the farm to build a home on, but they never did.

As newlyweds, "we lived on the home farm together, in a trailer," Echlin told court. The trailer belonged to Bill, and she and Mark lived there for three years.

"Bill lent us ... one of the barns and we raised pigs."

They quit pig farming before Felicia was born on Feb. 21, 1986. A second daughter, Staci, arrived June 24, 1995.

Mark had a farm Bill gave him and was paid by Bill to raise cash crops. He and Echlin sold their plot of land to put a down payment on a house in 1988.

Echlin testified she had a "good" relationship with Bill and a "very good" relationship with his wife Gloria, who she considered to be "like a mother."

In 1996, when Gloria became ill with Parkinson's disease, Bill fetched their daughter Rhonda from Niagara Falls and brought her back to the farm to care for her mother. She moved into the trailer Mark and Echlin had vacated.

By 1997 their marriage was in ruins and Mark was pouring money into Mulligan's, the golf centre he was building on Rymal Road.

"He was supposed to keep farming, but he was busy with Mulligan's all the time," Echlin told the court.

In July 1997, she and the children moved out of the house "because the utilities were shut off." They went to live with her parents and she filed for a legal separation.

It was Bill who stepped up, writing a $7,000 cheque to cover their overdue mortgage payments and house insurance.

Asked to describe Mark's relationship with his father, Echlin said it was "fairly normal" when she met the family, but "went downhill," especially after Gloria died in October 1997.

"They basically didn't talk. Bill tried to talk, but Mark didn't answer. He mumbled or grunted."

Bill said Mark had been coming to him for money "and he wasn't going to be giving him any more," she testified.

Mark and Rhonda didn't talk to each other either.

"She was awkward," said Echlin, "and he just avoided her."

The last time Echlin saw Rhonda was on Jan. 9, 1998, when she and the girls visited the farm.

"She was good. She was always happy to see the girls."

The last time she saw Bill was on Jan. 16, at the Binbrook corner store. "He seemed well."

The Crown believes the murders happened between Jan. 16 and 19.

On Jan. 20, news of Bill and Rhonda's disappearance was spreading.

Echlin drove to the farm. Mark was there.

"He seemed upset. He was definitely crying ... I didn't see any reason to be crying at that time."

At that point, she told the jury, it still seemed likely Bill and Rhonda had merely gone away for a few days.

On May 27, 1998, she went to Mulligan's to talk to Mark about child support. It would be another two weeks before Bill and Rhonda's bodies were found.

Yet, perhaps oddly, she recalled Mark saying that soon Felicia would get $100,000 from Bill's will.

msarah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 10:55:48 AM »
MARK STAPLES- FOUND GUILTY!! Life sentence and no parole for 25 years!

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5161859-mark-staples-guilty-in-slaying-of-dad-sister/