Author Topic: The future of DNA investigations..  (Read 1424 times)

D1

• View Profile
The future of DNA investigations..
« on: April 11, 2018, 12:13:30 PM »
The USA is far more willing than Canada to explore what new dna testing procedures can provide to investigators..
Excellent test case to watch .. Cold case.. Canadian citizens murdered in Washington state.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-new-dna-analysis-could-solve-30-year-old-murders-of-victoria-couple/

They have used a technology called Snapshot DNA Phenotyping and on Wednesday they will be unveiling new suspect information. The process can be used to predict the physical appearance of a person, including eye, skin and hair colour, facial features and ancestry.

D1

• View Profile
Re: The future of DNA investigations..
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 11:07:20 AM »
Face of a killer revealed? A surprisingly detailed sketch emerges from one old dna sample.. No doubt we can all think of some other case where this would be of extreme benefit. Imagine combining this with an ancestral dna comparison search. Odds of finding a killer are being increased dramatically in dna cases. Our system needs a push..
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/face-of-a-killer-police-release-new-images-in-cold-case-murders-of-b-c-couple-1.3880381

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 01:15:36 PM »

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 03:13:09 PM »
Yes it always comes down to cost or so we've been told. Man hours vs computer/ robot time seems to be where the big changes are occurring everywhere. This is a test function that is programmable so I suspect its only a matter of time if it's not here and now. I'm a bit curious about that too, ancestry dna testing is only about a $100.00 US now.. They do have an email address for questions and their site does claim to save investigators money in the long run.
https://snapshot.parabon-nanolabs.com/

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 06:05:52 PM »
Thanks for setting up this thread D1.  It is a good one to have on our site. imo

https://snapshot.parabon-nanolabs.com/testimonials
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 06:12:46 PM by jellybean »

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 02:49:51 PM »
This is a precedent setting case in a way, these are the first Canadian murder victims to have had the perps dna phenotyped. I truly hope it is successful.

JB, Even at $4,000 U.S., We have cases that would easily warrant the expenditure. Take Sonia Verashin as mentioned, a dna dragnet is not cheap and the man hours involved would surpass that price 10 fold and more. Its the laws we have that are the problem, archaic and overly protective of a perps rights for no valid reason. We need to catch up. The Police could be more helpful in this regard also.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 04:10:06 PM »
I have been goading the police on SV's thread to use snapshot when I first learned about it D1.  Yes, yes, yes, it would  be cheaper to use it.

In SV's case they do  not need to put up the composite, just let the public know the colour of his skin, hair, eyes etc.  Also include their profile (the parts that have already been given to the public.  The genes from the DNA may also be able to tell if he is intelligent or not.  They may also  know about his health. Example predisposed to diabetes, or asthma.

There are lots of things to learn about a persons genomes.

jb

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 05:48:36 PM »
Goading is one way to try and generate some action. It just as frequently causes the opposite reaction though and needs a bit of finessing to work well. I've seen it go both ways and not real sure what is the best way to employ that.. It can cause rifts .. IMO it needs to be addressed at the government/Crown level..

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:49:47 PM by D1 »

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 12:41:46 PM »
Late news claimed that dozens of new tips were coming in from the newly released phenotyped dna composites re:  18-year-old Tanya Van Cuylenborg and 20-year-old Jay Cook

And I was wrong, that was not the first case to employ snapshots dna phenotyping for Canadian murder victims.
Florida also provided the service back in 2016.
http://toronto.citynews.ca/2016/04/14/florida-police-turn-to-dna-phenotyping-to-solve-toronto-couples-murder/

The U.S.A. is way out in front of us in this area. It is time to catch up.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:55:35 PM by D1 »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 09:24:14 PM »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 01:19:08 AM »
Very interesting how they got the Golden State killer. Can you imagine how many more killers could be found this way?
I did see a crime show once, where the suspects DNA was so close to their sample that they concluded it had to be a relative of the suspects...sure enough, it was a relative that committed the crime.

We sent our samples to ancestry.com and just yesterday received a message from someone who is a distant relative of my spouses...his great aunt married my spouses grandfather...
I think i know who all my family is, but my spouse doesn't, so this could get interesting.
Im not so sure ancestry.com and others like that would actually know or care who's samples they are receiving...they are processing thousands, for average every day folks who are willing to pay the fee for their results.
Im not too worried about my DNA being on file.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 12:18:31 AM »
The USA is far more willing than Canada to explore what new dna testing procedures can provide to investigators..
Excellent test case to watch .. Cold case.. Canadian citizens murdered in Washington state.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-new-dna-analysis-could-solve-30-year-old-murders-of-victoria-couple/

They have used a technology called Snapshot DNA Phenotyping and on Wednesday they will be unveiling new suspect information. The process can be used to predict the physical appearance of a person, including eye, skin and hair colour, facial features and ancestry.

Arrest made. (Someone had already made a thread for the couple under Victoria and full article is posted there.)
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/police-make-arrest-in-1987-murders-of-victoria-couple-1.3935987

We really need this in Canada as well. I imagine there will be many who are starting to squirm and get uncomfortable now, and they should. Could lead to faster arrests.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 12:22:00 AM by Sap1 »

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 06:23:06 PM »
The future has arrived! Its just not widely known that enhanced dna procedures are being done on Canadian cold cases. No reason it can't be used on many others. Make requests, push...,,
example..
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/dna-used-to-create-suspect-sketches-in-1988-cold-case-near-woodstock-1.4071296

TORONTO -- DNA collected from the scene of a 1988 murder has been used to create images of a suspect in the unsolved homicide, police in Ontario said Tuesday as they released the sketches they hoped would lead to a break in the case.

Ontario Provincial Police have been investigating the death of 80-year-old Thera Dieleman for the last three decades, issuing reward posters and news releases at various intervals over the years.

A lack of progress in the case encouraged the force to examine technological advances related to DNA, and resulted in police working with a company in Virgnia to develop digital images of what the killer may have looked like in 1988 and what he could look like today.