Author Topic: Ryan Shtuka - age 20 - missing - Sun Peaks. BC  (Read 5181 times)

Sap1

• View Profile
Ryan Shtuka - age 20 - missing - Sun Peaks. BC
« on: February 20, 2018, 04:23:52 AM »
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/rcmp-still-searching-for-young-beaumont-man-missing-at-b-c-ski-resort-1.3810168

Police in Kamloops are still searching for a 19-year-old Alberta man, who was reported missing at the Sun Peaks Resort Saturday.

Over the weekend, Kamloops RCMP said Ryan Shtuka had been reported missing. He was last seen at about 2:10 a.m. Saturday, after leaving a party to walk a short distance home.

Police said he was reported missing when he didn?t show up for work later that day. Since then, he hasn?t used social media or his cell phone, RCMP said.

Teen missing after Sun Peaks house party
A massive search was launched, but was hampered by heavy snowfall.

On Monday afternoon, Kamloops Search and Rescue said they had suspended their search.

On Sunday, 22 members and about 74 volunteers were searching the area ? they used dogs, snowmobiles, drones with infrared cameras and helicopters in their search.

jobo

• View Profile
Re: Ryan Shtuka - age 20 - missing - Sun Peaks. BC
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 06:56:47 AM »
Sadly...it doesn?t sound good for this young man.
Such dense woods in that area.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 11:14:30 AM »
I don't think it looks good either, jobo.

In the above article it says that Ryan had a short distance to walk home. Sun Peaks is actually a ski resort community, which is a short distance from Kamloops, BC. It is not a huge community, but of course there is a lot of undeveloped land in the area also. In the above article it refers to Ryan walking "home", however there are short term rentals available there, for people who want to come for a weekend, a week, etc., and I'm wondering if he lived there full time. If he didn't, how familiar was he with the area? I have seen nothing which speaks to the condition he was in when leaving the party. Was he intoxicated? We don't know. Could he possibly have gotten turned around and become lost in the time it took him to walk home, or did he have a change of plans and get into a vehicle at some point?

So many unanswered questions.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 02:00:39 PM »
Thanks for that info Debbie. I wondered if he worked at the resort. He must have if he was living in the area. The information isn't clear. Resorts usually have residences for their seasonal workers.
It does not look good ... no cellphone use since he left the party. Police used infrared and that should have given them some info. Perhaps he did get into a vehicle?
Sad situation for a young man just starting out in life, working in a place that gives happiness as well as work.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 01:35:15 PM »
I took it that the weather was not good that evening. They always tell people not to leave late hours alone, we've seen this happen before and the person was never seen again. If he was drinking, he could have fallen and hurt himself and is covered over by snow and he wouldn't be seen. Sometimes alcohol makes people feel they just could move a mountain, but actually it is a false feeling and he just may have laid down and went to sleep. Thoughts and prayers to friends and family and hope they find out what happened to Ryan. :o :o :o :o :o

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 01:54:23 PM »
Yes, if it was snowing it would be easy to get disorientated imo.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 02:37:36 AM »
https://www.gofundme.com/helping-to-find-ryan

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/mother-offers-5-000-to-help-find-missing-ryan-shtuka-1.4552033

Snipped.

The mother of a missing Alberta man is offering a reward for any information that will lead to finding him.

Heather Shtuka said she would give $5,000 to anyone who could help bring her 20-year-old son Ryan home

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 02:46:44 PM »
Well it all boils down to if the persons at this party are telling the truth or if they are hiding something. If there was other reasons he has disappeared, great investigation should be taken to prove he did leave that party on his own and that nothing else happened. The persons who were at the party should be questioned, because this is at the early part of the investigation. Don't wait for a couple of years to ask questions, ask them now and question people individually.  Maybe he did leave and got into trouble if it was snowing. They keep telling people not to leave these places alone, but they never listen. It can be very difficult if you're in a storm and drinking. My prayers to his mom and hope she is successful in finding Ryan and what has happened to him. :o :o :o :o

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 12:48:47 PM »
Well it all boils down to if the persons at this party are telling the truth or if they are hiding something. If there was other reasons he has disappeared, great investigation should be taken to prove he did leave that party on his own and that nothing else happened. The persons who were at the party should be questioned, because this is at the early part of the investigation. Don't wait for a couple of years to ask questions, ask them now and question people individually.  Maybe he did leave and got into trouble if it was snowing. They keep telling people not to leave these places alone, but they never listen. It can be very difficult if you're in a storm and drinking. My prayers to his mom and hope she is successful in finding Ryan and what has happened to him. :o :o :o :o

Apparently the people who were at the party have been questioned. At this point it appears that everyone is satisfied that they are telling the truth.

I've read that these young people (who are experiencing a loss as well) have/are being harassed, and even threatened on Social Media.

At this point we don't know what happened, however it is very possible that Ryan disappeared on the walk home, without anyone being involved in his disappearance. It was around 2:00 AM, very dark, and snowing. A lot more snow has fallen in the weeks since.

Ryan's Mom, Heather, feels that he is still there, as there is nothing solid saying that he left Sun Peaks. As per usual when a person goes missing, people have reported seeing him in varying locations.

His family has been there from the beginning, and still continue to search every day. Very sad.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 01:03:49 PM »
'We have to start over': Mother of Alberta man missing in Sun Peaks frustrated by search process
'We, as parents, had no guide on how to do this'
CBC News  Posted: Mar 14, 2018 12:00 PM MT| Last Updated: Mar 14, 2018 12:00 PM MT

An Alberta woman searching for her son who vanished without a trace in B.C. a month ago, is growing frustrated with a search effort she feels is increasingly futile.

"When people ask, 'How can you still believe that Ryan is here 24 days later,' it's because we are conducting the searches," Heather Shtuka said in an interview Tuesday with CBC Edmonton's Radio Active.

"We, as parents, had no guide on how to do this."

Ryan Shtuka, 20, was last seen Feb. 17 at a house party at Sun Peaks Resort outside Kamloops.

RCMP continue to investigate his disappearance.

His mother says valuable time and effort may have been wasted because the family was never instructed on how to properly manage search efforts in the resort village.

'We are learning painfully, day by day what we haven't done right.'

-Heather Shtuka
"We are learning painfully, day by day what we haven't done right, what we could do right and what resources we would need," she said.

"If this was your child, what would you want to have done? What would you pay to have done and what would you need to have done in order to find him? That's the question we keep asking over and over."

'We have to start over''We aren't going to go home to wait until the snow melts.'
-Heather Shtuka

While she admires the work of search and rescue workers, Shtuka said more support needs to be provided to families of missing persons after the official patrols are called off.

Without instruction on how to coordinate volunteers, properly canvass a given area and map their progress, mistakes can be made, Shtuka said.

"If you're asking me if I've searched an area, sure I've searched it. I think I've searched it, but what am I hitting? What am I using as my equipment? Am I hitting ice? Do I know it's ice? Am I putting my probes in far enough?

"We have so many people that are coming up that are so determined to find Ryan, but we just don't know how to tell them to search, and we didn't know for the first couple weeks.

"Every area of this resort has been touched, but can we say with certainty that Ryan was not there when they searched it? We can not, so now we have to start over again."

More can be viewed at the link.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ryan-shtuka-beaumont-sun-peaks-search-missing-1.4575782

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 02:55:45 PM »
It is very sad that Ryan went missing, but we have heard of many instances like this. People think it is okay out in the snow and wind, but when they get out there, it is very confusing which direction they are going. I am not familiar with the area he went missing, but if there are any hills he could have fell down and hit his head or something and the snow just covered him over, they may find him very close by when the snow melts. God bless his mom, she must be devastated without knowing what has happened to him.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 02:03:39 PM »
The reward has been increased to $15,000.00

click to enlarge poster

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 02:11:05 PM »
There has been a huge out pouring of support for Ryan and his family.

They are now very close to reaching their goal on gofundme.

https://www.gofundme.com/helping-to-find-ryan

superbee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 06:11:08 PM »
Heartbreaking that there is still no sign of Ryan.  A busload of searchers came down from Edmonton on this weekend. Unfortunately, no sign of Ryan was found, but the good news is the volunteer searching seems to be done now in grids, each area thoroughly searched with poles in a more planned way. 

The weather at Sun Peaks is getting warmer and the snow should be melting.  I wonder if Ryan somehow fell into one of the deep 'tree wells'  we have heard of alot about this winter.  Are there are street lights along the residential streets at Sun Peaks?  If there are, wouldn't Ryan be more inclined to stay walking on the street, instead of trying to take a dark shortcut through the trees?  What was Ryan wearing for footwear?  For years, young guys his age wore running shoes all year round if they were going somewhere with a cleaned street and driveway. 

I am beginning to wonder if Ryan is even under the snow.  From what I have read, Ryan was ready to leave right behind the friends he lived with.  Suddenly, he wasn't there behind them.  When did they realize Ryan was not behind them?  Wouldn't they notice?  Wouldn't they go back and see what happened, maybe Ryan had suddenly felt sick and collapsed, or had to go to the washroom or forgotten something, so returned to the party house?  Wouldn't Ryan have tried to walk home along with his friends, call to them to wait up?  Or if he did have to go back to the party house for some reason, wouldn't he call out to his friends ahead?  Strange. 

And, when the friends did get home and Ryan never arrived, wouldn't they call his phone, phone the party house, or someone there?  It is hard to believe that nobody did a thing until Ryan never showed up for work the next morning.  Did nobody at his home knock on his bedroom door the next morning, to see if he was ok, and getting up for work? 

I suspect Ryan may not be on the mountain.  He may have been leaving the party house, but went back for some reason and never left under his own power.  Or for some reason went to another house close by, or got in a vehicle--willingly or unwillingly.  If there are street lights on his way home, I can't see Ryan leaving a well lit street to take a shortcut in the dark bush.  He was only a few minutes from home.