Author Topic: Barry (Apotex founder) and Honey Sherman found dead in their Toronto home  (Read 18145 times)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Barry (Apotex founder) and Honey Sherman found dead in their Toronto home
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 03:05:41 PM »
http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/the-life-and-tumultuous-times-of-barry-and-honey-sherman

The life and tumultuous times of Barry and Honey Sherman

Pharma impresario Barry Sherman built a generic drug empire, and a reputation as a tough, even ruthless negotiator and businessman.

Sherman never backed down from a fight.

Those who knew him say it was his willingness to go to war ? about anything ? that helped make Sherman one of the country?s richest men.

During his life, he launched literally hundreds of lawsuits and was on the receiving end of more than a few.

And it made him a lot of enemies.

?The concept of letting go was not in his DNA,? longtime friend and former Apotex CEO Jack Kay said. ?He was tenacious when he felt he was right.?
Sherman, 75, and his beloved wife Honey, 70, were found dead a little over a week ago in their York Mills mansion.

The shocking deaths have rocked Toronto?s Jewish community to its foundations. Sherman gave a considerable part of his $4.7 billion fortune to various charities ? in Canada and Israel ? while his wife served on a wide array of charitable boards.

Always hovering in the background was a toughness, a willingness to stand up for what they believed in, including a Bleak House-like legal brawl pitting Barry against his four orphaned cousins.

The willingness to go to war was hard-wired into the couple.

Dark clouds in the form of the terrifying Nazi war machine roared through Poland in September 1939.

To Jews being trampled under the German jackboot, the worst was yet to come when Hitler favourite Reinhard Heydrich proposed the Final Solution. The systematic erasing of European Jewry from the face of the planet through sinister death camps.

Honey?s parents miraculously survived the Holocaust, most of her relatives did not. She was born in an Austrian displaced persons camp in 1948 and came to Toronto with her parents shortly after.

But as with many families who survive a life-altering ordeal those horrors are seared into their collective soul ? forever.

Their son Jonathan Sherman alluded to the genocide when he noted that his family, and many others, rose ?like a phoenix from the ashes of the European Holocaust.?

?When someone tries to snuff you out, or eliminate important parts of your family, we rally together and emerge stronger than ever,? he said in his moving eulogy to more than 7,000 mourners at the cavernous International Centre in Mississauga.

Jonathon Sherman speaks during a memorial service for his parents Barry and Honey Sherman.

Unlike Honey, Barry Sherman was born into prosperity in Toronto ? his father Herbert a successful zipper manufacturer. Sadly, his father died of a heart attack at just 46.

His devastated son was 10 years old. Losing his father was doubly difficult for the shy, introverted boy who battled lethargy until the day he died.

Into the chaos stepped his beloved uncle, Louis Winter, a biochemist who owned Empire Laboratories, a drug manufacturer. He became the future pharma tycoon?s surrogate father.

Academic success in high school preceded his graduation from engineering physics at the University of Toronto with a gold medal. Graduate work at the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology followed.

In Charles Dickens? famed novel, Bleak House, an elusive fortune ruins everyone who touches it. And that was a bane that Barry Sherman faced until his final breath.

Louis Winter?s wife Beverly was diagnosed with leukemia but before she could pass from this realm, her husband died suddenly of a suspected aneurysm in November 1965.

In a 2008 Toronto Life article, it was revealed that Barry visited his aunt?s bedside and talked about what would become of her four young sons when she died.

And they talked about Empire.

?He said that if she and the executors wished, he would take over the business and protect its value for the benefit of the children,? the magazine reported.

?In return, they would have to grant him the right to purchase the company if it came up for sale. Beverley discussed the idea but made no decision. Seventeen days later, she was dead.?

Just three days after his aunt died, Sherman made a similar proposal to the trustees of Lou Winter?s estate. No dice, Empire ? and the children?s inheritance ? was held by a pair of lawyers, a number cruncher and Royal Trust.

Joel Ulster was Barry Sherman?s oldest friend. As teenagers, they promised one another that they would go into business together.

In 1967, they did just that when Barry returned from school in the States.

Empire was floundering. Sales were down 20% from 1965.

Sherman ? a man with all the angles covered ? hinted darkly to the board that the Winter orphans could sue Royal Trust for negligence.

So, the two friends bought Empire for $350,000 thanks to loans from Sherman?s mother, Sara, and Ulster?s dad.

But there was a stipulation that would come back to haunt the billionaire: the orphans would get jobs with the company when they turned 21 and have the right to purchase shares.

There was another but: that would only happen if Sherman kept control of the business.

?I?m saddened that it has come to this,? Kerry Winter, one of the cousins who is suing, told CBC in the spring. ?It?s a tragedy.?

In 1970, as sales of Empire were climbing steadily, Sherman met the love of his life: Honey Reich, a U of T student. She was cute, smart and funny.

Honey was yin to Barry?s yang. Four children would follow ? Lauren, Jonathon, Alexandra and Kaelan.

?We live nice lives, not large lives,? Honey told a Toronto Life writer in 2008.
Their son Jonathan at their memorial service said of the pair: ?You were like a lock and a key: each pretty useless on your own. But together you unlocked the world for yourselves, and for us and for so many others.?

A company called ICN Pharmaceuticals wanted to buy the reinvigorated Empire. Just under $2 million. A non-compete agreement aimed at Barry was easily evaded by a loophole.

He launched Apotex the next year and Sherman was at the right place at the right time. From two employees, Apotex became the largest generic drug company in the country. Sherman pushed his pills on the principle of speed, telemarketing and mail order. It made him rich beyond his wildest dreams.

Barry Sherman (left), Chairman and CEO of Apotex and Jack Kay (right), President and COO are seenin this file photo.

For the orphans, their mother ? a convert ? had wanted them to go to a Jewish family instead of her own. The four heartbroken boys found themselves in a cold, loveless home that triggered decades of resentment and trouble.

There were battles with drugs, the cops, school, relationships. To be fair, Barry Sherman was unaware of the ordeal his cousins were enduring until the 1980s and when he found out, he did what he could to help. He gave them millions, bought homes and cottages for them, paid for rehab and welcomed them into the bosom of his family.

It wouldn?t be enough. People who know Sherman say he was ?devastated? by the $1 billion lawsuit launched by members of his own family a decade ago.

The boys argued that Sherman?s considerable success was due in no large part to the businessman taking over their father?s company. Sherman in characteristic fashion, counter-sued to get the money he?d given them back.

The suit was tossed in September but is being appealed. What it means now that Sherman is dead is anyone?s guess.

Over the course of his life, the pharma kingpin never hesitated going to war. He famously battled with Dr. Nancy Olivieri over one of Apotex?s drugs. More recently Sherman and Honey sued the builders of their home.

There are hundreds of other little battles whose status may ? or may not ? be resolved because of the couple?s tragic deaths.

In the days following his suspicious demise, another picture has also emerged of Sherman. It is one far from the litigation-crazed bogeyman he was sometimes made out to be.

That of a mensch, a Yiddish word meaning a man of honour and integrity, who was so frugal he drove his cars into the ground. The charity of the Shermans appears to have known no bounds, large sums and small, very large, very public donations and helping out an old friend down on their luck.

Thousands of his Apotex employees came out, decked in the company?s blue colours to pay tribute to a boss who walked with kings but had the common touch.

What happened in the last hours of their lives at 50 Old Colony Rd. is anyone?s guess but it draws to a close a remarkable story of a remarkable couple, who gave so much.

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne speaks during the memorial service for Apotex billionaire couple Barry and Honey Sherman in Mississauga, Ontario on Thursday, December 21, 2017.

Premier Kathleen Wynne alluded to the Jewish tradition of Tzedakah, or charity.

Beyond a guideline, it is an obligation to help the less fortunate.

The Shermans tried to fulfill those obligations ? and scorned those who didn?t.

?Our parents never left anyone behind,? their son said.

bhunter@postmedia.com

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 09:27:27 AM »
Is there a security system and security staff for the family. Why would a family of this wealth not have security available. Killing them in their own home seems to me to be the least place you would want to do so. If they were selling the property and showing it to a rushed buyer, why wouldn't that be handled by the real estate people. Normally, the couple would not be home when the house is shown.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2017, 01:46:45 PM »
According to the following article, the Sherman's did have a security system but didn't use it. Both had just come home to their house arriving in different vehicles ... Barry from a meeting with builders (their new house) and Honey from wherever she had been. I didn't realize they were both found in their winter garments. So imo, there already was an intruder there, or they had both arrived together to show someone a private viewing which could have been pre-arranged without the realtor knowing. Still I think it will be someone they both knew well or knew them well ... to strike at a time like this before they moved to a building which probably had more up to date security. JMHO
It's great there will be new fresh eyes looking over the evidence as well.

http://frankmag.ca/2017/12/what-happened-to-the-shermans/

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 07:17:50 PM »
Thanks for the Frank Mag article sap1. 

Does anyone believe that this couple was found with winter coats and boots on [as per article]?

I wonder where Frank got this info?  Do they verify everything?

I find this pretty hard to buy into.  First of all, people who enter their homes, always remove their winter boots- as soon as they walk in the door.

I do think it is possible two perps were involved. for reasons given in Frank.

jb

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 07:21:46 PM by jellybean »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 12:05:54 PM »
OMG! OMG! I did it again! Not reading everything before posting!! My apologies. Jellybean, I decided to research Frank because i don't think I ever read any of the articles before. Never mind the alleged facts they give. This following line is a disclaimer on their google site.

Frank Magazine from Ottawa, Canada. Canada's leading satirical magazine. Our mission: Expose the guilty, provoke the greedy and mock the powerful.

Perhaps I should remove the whole post? Satires provoke. That was not my intention at all.  Plus do I believe the couple were found in their winter garb? I can see keeping a winter coat on longer, especially after coming in from the cold, but not traipsing around the house in winter boots and going to the swim pool that way, unless of course they were doing a quick "showing" of their house to someone who dropped by.

One thing that has been pointed out and I concur ... plus the idea never entered my mind of a murder/suicide ... Barry is not a big man and he had back problems and Honey weighed more than he did.

I also kind of thought about a bit of a political twist ... the Sherman's apparently supported Trudeau campaign very well, and the very anti-Trudeau people like LaMuete are very capable of snuffing out life. Just a thought I had.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 12:31:55 PM »
Gosh sap1 - don't apologize.  I was not provoked.  I guess I led with the wrong wording in the  paragraph.

The article was Interesting.  Plus we did learn about back problems and Honey's weight.

Difficult for one person to hang them - I would think.  So I am buying into possibly two people involved.

Just not buying their assertion that they had their winter garb on.

I think that for the most part, killers are lazy people.... they would not exert themselves more than they can help it. 

Therefore, I think the hanging is leaving a message.

This sight of this couple was very important to the killer.

jb

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:53:52 PM by jellybean »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 02:37:29 PM »
JB, I wasn't referring to you and there's nothing wrong with what you wrote at all. By provoking I was thinking of the families of this victim couple. In no way would I show a grieving family disrespect and that is why I wonder about leaving the article up. I should recognize satire vs reality ... since I am a fan of "Bones" TV serial shows; watching all the reruns over the years. I just didn't know Frank but should have, since the page doesn't look like a credible news report.

I do agree there had to be more than one assailant. Who would want a loving and giving couple dead? I can't see big Pharma putting themselves into jeopardy either but it is always said to follow the money trail. Nothing was stolen apparently, so the assailants didn't even take one thing to throw off the investigation. To me that means they were very certain they would not be found.
If that part is true about being suspended on a three foot high railing, then indeed it sounds like a "message" to someone. There definitely had to be more persons involved because average height persons cannot be hanged on such a short rope.   
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:30:41 PM by Sap1 »

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 02:39:59 PM »
That's what I find odd. To take the time to hang when there is a pool nearby and easier, faster ways of accomplishing things. Perhaps you are on to something Jellybean... the location meant something. Also, if they were met somewhere else and taken to the house, they would keep their boots and coats on. That tells me that they were not willing even at the time entering the house, perhaps. Maybe one came home and was forced to call the second. The fact that they were not killed earlier is interesting. If the intent was to kill, then why would they be down by the pool? Unless the person was called to fix the pool? Hmmmm....   

If that was a satire site, was the fact that they were found hanging by the pool and with winter garb fact or satire, do you think?

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 02:42:34 PM »
Other credible media sources also claimed they were found hanged by the indoor pool.

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2017/12/18/sherman-deaths-probe-what-happened-inside-50-old-colony-rd.html

A police source told the Star the couple were discovered by their real estate agent and found near their indoor lap pool, photos of which were recently included in a real estate listing for the home, valued at $6.9 million. Multiple news outlets have reported that the couple were found hanging; the Star has not independently confirmed this.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 02:48:25 PM by Sap1 »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2017, 02:50:50 PM »

I don't believe the killers got into the home to await this couple.  Too risky - as security alarms might have gone off - unless they were 100% sure that the alarms would not be on - which I doubt
 they would take that chance.

If they were found in regular clothes, here is one possibility.  Two people arrive to look at the house.

One owner lets them in.   The couple are separated by enticing each one to show a part of the house separate from each other.

The one owner is garrotted by one killer in one area of the house, and the other owner meets the same fate in another part of the house by the second killer.

jb
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 02:57:56 PM by jellybean »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 02:54:57 PM »
I am leaning more to political problems.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/12/19/barry-sherman-was-under-investigation-for-breaking-lobbying-rules.html

Only days before he died, Toronto billionaire Barry Sherman was attempting to quash an investigation into a political fundraiser he held for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that allegedly ran afoul of lobbying rules.

Sherman, who was found dead along with his wife, Honey, at their house on Friday, had been under investigation by lobbying commissioner Karen Shepherd since October 2016, and was facing a possible five-year ban from lobbying because of the fundraiser he hosted during the last federal election.

The lobbyists? code of conduct prohibits registered lobbyists, such as Sherman, from lobbying office holders they helped get elected.

Last May, Sherman filed a lawsuit in Federal Court to block the lobbying commissioner?s probe into him and his pharmaceutical company Apotex because it had been ?taken and pursued in bad faith and/or for an improper purpose.?

And then there is THIS:

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/justin-trudeau-fundraiser-picketed-by-jewish-group-over-liberals-support-for-iran-nuclear-deal

Snipped:

About 30 protesters from the Jewish Defence League lined the street out front of Sherman?s lavish north Toronto home, holding Israeli and Canadian flags.

?Enjoy the food,? a man holding an Israeli flag yelled as guests walked up the driveway, past a line of valets. Tickets for the party and opportunity to meet leader Justin Trudeau reportedly went for $1,500 each.

One guest stopped and smiled at a protester in the picket line. ?Joel? What are you doing here??

The protester, Joel Goldman, said he was there because he didn?t support the Liberals? position on the Iran nuclear deal.

Then there is this group ... very strong anti-Muslim but also very anti- Trudeau and pro new conservative leader plus he seems to endorse them.
 https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/d7pmk7/la-meute-the-illusions-and-delusions-of-quebecs-largest-right-wing-group
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:05:23 PM by Sap1 »

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2017, 02:59:48 PM »
Did we ever have an article that talked about the symbolism of the different ways in which a person is killed and what that means? Messages sent?

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2017, 06:07:17 PM »
Looks like Frank might have been right about jackets.  How awful.  jb

http://torontosun.com/entertainment/books/warmington-questions-linger-about-deaths-of-barry-and-honey-sherman

The Shermans were found hanging with men?s belts around their necks in the pool area of their mansion. They were in a sitting position with their legs out straight. Sources describe them has having jackets pulled down over their arms and pulled behind their backs.
Its a head scratcher.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:59:35 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »
http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-mystery-shrouds-deaths-of-billionaire-couple

Sources say investigators found the Shermans, side by side, in their windowless pool room, each with a men?s leather belt wrapped around their necks and tied to the pool railing. Both had on jackets that were pulled ?behind their backs? and rolled down over their arms.

It is believed the camera in the pool area had been disconnected.
So far, police are not calling this a homicide but homicide squad detectives are on the case. Police spokesman Mark Pugash says it is still being treated simply as a suspicious death.

There are so many questions, so few answers and even more theories.

What we know:
? The Shermans died Thursday inside their 12,440 square-foot Old Colony Rd. mansion which was up for sale for $6.9 million.
? They were not found until 11:45 a.m. Friday.
? There was no sign of forced entry and no suicide note.
? The Shermans were planning to build a new home in Forest Hill.
? Toronto Police said they are not currently looking for suspects.
? The couple had scheduled trip this week to Florida.
? Autopsies Saturday and Sunday indicate the Sherman?s died from ?ligature neck compression?

Sources say police believe they are dealing with a murder-suicide and that Mrs. Sherman?s body may have been moved from a secondary scene inside the home to the pool room.

But the assertion this could be a murder-suicide was forcefully rejected by the Sherman?s children, Lauren, Jonathon, Alexandra and Kaelen.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2017, 09:22:21 PM »
I think the Toronto police got tunnel vision very quickly in this case. The way they were both found, one person could do that to another but not to self, imo. Unless I am reading that incorrectly.
Well there is another renowned detective squad who will start from scratch and their word will likely be what will be considered as the truth.