Author Topic: Missing - Nadia Atwi - age 32 - Edmonton ab  (Read 5092 times)

Sap1

• View Profile
Missing - Nadia Atwi - age 32 - Edmonton ab
« on: December 13, 2017, 12:53:22 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/missing-nadia-atwi-family-search-edmonton-1.4445786

The family of missing Edmonton woman Nadia Atwi met with reporters Tuesday to give their daughter, wife and sister a message.

"I just want you alive," said Salwa Atwi, the missing woman's mother. "I just want you to know that I love you, Nadia."

Nadia, 32, was last seen by her husband at their home near 48th Street and 146th Avenue around 6:30 a.m. on Friday, said Salwa.

The family, seated together at a home in the city's northeast, urged Edmontonians to continue searching for Nadia.

Focus of search for missing woman moves to south Edmonton, police say
Family 'heartbroken' by disappearance

Nadia was not at her home Friday morning when Salwa came to pick her up for their morning carpool to work, her sister Randa Atwi said.

When Nadia's husband, Ali Fneich, answered the door, he told her mother that Nadia had gone to pick her up instead.

Nadia never showed up to work Friday, and stopped answering her phone. Later that day, the family started to worry.

Nadia is a mother and kindergarten teacher at a private Arabic school in Edmonton.

Her vehicle, a black Chevrolet Equinox with licence plate number BWR 6282, was found in a ditch at Rundle Park around 4:30 p.m. Friday.

A search began shortly after police found her vehicle, shoes and phone in Rundle Park.

Now in its fifth day, family and friends of Nadia have moved the search outside the Edmonton area, across the province.

Nadia's father, Akram Atwi, said he was "heartbroken" at his daughter's disappearance.

"This is not the Nadia I know," he said. "You always call me ... if you're not feeling well."

Nadia needs medication and might be "confused if approached," a statement from the Edmonton police said Sunday.

'They are praying for you everywhere'

Police have not found any significant leads in her sister's case, Randa said.

Since her disappearance, a coordinated social media campaign has been launched by her family and friends. A Facebook group has more than 3,600 members looking for Nadia, hanging posters around the city and employing drones to search over cliffs and areas not accessible by car or by foot.

Randa said they have no reason to suspect that Nadia would have left the city, but said "anything can help."

Salwa Atwi said the search for her daughter has brought the city together, with strangers coming to the Atwi house with food, water and coffee to sustain the family and all the volunteers while they search.

More than 200 people joined a search party at Rundle Park over the weekend.

The family has received messages from families and acquaintances they know in Lebanon.

"They are praying for you everywhere, in every language, every religion," Salwa said. "I hope you will be here, safe, with us soon."

Anyone with information about Nadia is asked to call the Edmonton Police Service at 780-423-4567.

With files from Zoe Todd
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 12:57:25 PM by Sap1 »

Sap1

• View Profile
Re: Missing - Nadia Atwi - age 32 - Edmonton ab
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 01:04:33 PM »
I don't know why Liana White entered my mind as I read the above missing person case ... :(

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 01:45:40 PM »
So true Sap.  Another Liana White? You have a long memory.  I remember that case now that you mentioned it.

No doubt her husband would have been interviewed since he was the last person to see her. At the moment she is considered to be a missing person and I would think that until something in her or husband's background comes up, she may stay as a missing person.

I cannot see her walking away without her shoes (one article said that only one shoe was found), and she left her life line in the car.(cell phone).
And according to the familie's fb page - one shoe was found near the vehicle, her cell phone was in the car and Her wallet was found at home.
It appears to be very suspicious, in my opinion. 

This is not looking good.

I pray that Nadia is alright.

Blessings to  Nadia's family.

jb

« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:55:44 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 07:18:48 PM »
I just finished reading the following article.  Her family states that Nadia can be confused.

Life has its challenges for this family.  God Love Them.  What a nightmare!!

https://globalnews.ca/news/3913502/family-of-missing-edmonton-teacher-pleads-with-her-to-contact-them-i-hope-that-you-are-safe/

he family of a 32-year-old teacher and mother who vanished four days ago spoke to the media on Tuesday to plead with Nadia Atwi to contact them or to come home.

?We all miss you Nadia,? said the kindergarten teacher?s husband, Alifneich. ?We?re all looking for you. We?re putting all our efforts toward finding you.

?Our son misses you. You should come back home.?

Alifneich also said he wanted to thank everyone who?s helping the search effort and working toward a ?happy end.?

Nadia Atwi was last seen at about 6:30 a.m. Friday in the area of 48 Street and 146 Avenue.

Over the weekend, police said they were concerned for her well-being and that she needs medication. They warned she could be confused if approached.

READ MORE: Edmonton police search for missing woman in Rundle Park area

Watch below: A massive search took place in Edmonton Sunday for a missing woman. Hundreds of people were scouring Rundle Park for any sign of Nadia Atwi.

Police said investigators believe Nadia may still be in the Rundle Park area after her car was discovered nearby.

?I hope that you are safe somewhere and I just want you to remember that everything happens for a reason and I know from whatever hardship we go through, if it does not kill us, it makes us stronger,? Nadia?s mother, Salwa Atwi, told local media on Tuesday.

?I know from this experience for the last five days? your friends, your family, (this has) brought us all together and it showed us what a great city we live in ? Edmonton,? she added.

?You can?t believe the support we got from the people we know, some people that we never met in our life.?
Nadia?s father also issued a plea for Nadia to contact her family.

?If you?re watching me now Nadia? I am heartbroken,? Akram (Mark) Atwi said. ?We want you to come back. Call me. This is not the Nadia I know. You always call me.. if you?re not feeling well or something.?

Nadia Atwi is five-foot-eight and weighs between 170 and 180 pounds. She has brown hair and brown eyes and was last known to be wearing dark clothes. She could be wearing a hijab. She may also be missing one or more shoes.

Anyone with information about Nadia Atwi?s whereabouts is asked to call the Edmonton Police Service?s complaint line at 780-423-4567. You can also leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers by calling 1-800-222-8477, or by visiting the Crime Stoppers website.

View photos of Nadia Atwi below:

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 08:28:43 PM »
Was this well educated, articulate, kind and compassionate woman suffering from depression?

jb

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/nadia-atwi-missing-edmonton-police-1.4441964

Focus of search for missing woman moves to south Edmonton, police say
Police won't say exactly where in the city the search is being conducted
CBC News Posted: Dec 10, 2017 11:00 AM MT Last Updated: Dec 11, 2017 5:28 PM MT

As the search for a missing Edmonton woman moved into its fourth day, police shifted the focus of their efforts Monday to the city's south side.

Nadia Atwi
Nadia Atwi, 32, disappeared on Friday. (Atwi Family)

Nadia Atwi, 32, was last seen by her husband at their home near 48th Street and 146th Avenue around 6:30 a.m. on Friday, said her mother, Salwa Atwi.

Her daughter's vehicle was found in a ditch at Rundle Park around 4:30 p.m. Friday.

Weekend efforts to find Atwi focused around the park, where hundreds of volunteers and rescue teams with dogs joined the search.

The police search was shifted to south Edmonton on Monday. An exact location was not disclosed "to allow the members adequate space to conduct their search," police said Monday in a brief statement.

On Monday afternoon, two officers returned to Rundle Park to collect evidence shortly before 3 p.m.

A forensics officer photographed a section of a wooded area between Rundle Park Drive and the North Saskatchewan River, south of the Rundle Park Golf Course.

Behind the treeline, on a downward slope leading to the river, strips of red and orange tape fluttered from trees and bushes. The words "Search & Rescue" were printed on some of them.

Forensics
A forensics officer photographed sections of a wooded area in Rundle Park on Monday. (CBC/Zoe Todd)

Search and Rescue
Strips of brightly coloured tape are tied to trees and bushes in Rundle Park. (CBC/Zoe Todd)

Family and friends expanded the search by Sunday night to include neighbourhoods near the park, said Atwi's cousin, Heba Atwi.

"It's been searched so many times, it's kind of a dead end at this point," she said of Rundle Park.

Posters of Atwi have been put up throughout the city and as far away as Fort Saskatchewan, she said. The family plans to search the University of Alberta campus, where Atwi graduated with a degree in education.

"Anybody who has ever met her just knows how kind and generous and funny [she is]," her cousin said. "If you're driving, look at every person walking, if you're in a store, look at every face.

"She's out there somewhere and we need to bring her home."

Nadia Atwi
Missing woman Nadia Atwi has long, dark brown hair and brown eyes. (Atwi Family)

Salwa Atwi
Nadia Atwi's mother, Salwa Atwi, joined the search for her daughter in Rundle Park Sunday. (CBC/Zoe Todd)

Atwi's cellphone, wallet and other personal belongings were found in her vehicle, her mother said.

The missing woman is about five-foot-eight and weighs 170 to 180 pounds. She has long, dark brown hair, brown eyes and was wearing dark clothing at the time of her disappearance. She requires medication and may be confused, police said.

Atwi is a mother and kindergarten teacher at a private Arabic school in Edmonton.

She wears a hijab but may not have been wearing one when she left her vehicle, her mother said.

"Please, to everybody who knows where Nadia is, please let us know," she said.

"We have been doing everything possible that we could have done, we contacted all the people we know, we put a note on Facebook but we don't know. There are so many stories but we don't know for sure."

Heba Atwi said the disappearance is out of character for her cousin.

"She's very friendly, very kind, speaks perfect English," she said. "This is absolutely just crazy. We don't even know what to think, what to do. We're just doing what we can, looking everywhere we can."

Police are asking anyone with information about the disappearance to contact them.

Rundle Park
More than 200 volunteers helped Nadia Atwi's family search Rundle Park on Sunday. (CBC/Zoe Todd)

Search and Rescue
Search and rescue teams worked with dogs to comb through Rundle Park on Sunday. (CBC/Zoe Todd)

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 08:31:57 PM »
Yes, there has been no clarification regards the confusion, so I wonder if perhaps she had missed a dose of whatever medication she was on. Very sad.

My heart goes out to the family at this time and I do hope and pray Nadia is found safe. If it's confusion causing this, they need to also check small spaces because confused people when hiding for safety look for small secure areas. People need to check their garbage cans and even under patios, veranda's and any crawl spaces.   

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 08:39:48 PM »
Atwi's cellphone, wallet and other personal belongings were found in her vehicle, her mother said.

Snipped from above article.

So it doesn't look like any robbery. That morning on Friday her husband saw her at 6:30 AM for the last time so far, and she was leaving to pick up her mother and whomever carpools with these ladies, YET, it was not her turn to do the pick up. She was confused then?

eta:
We can't really put all that much stock into what has been said or even quoted by media and/or/police. I think sometimes answers are given on the spur of the moment and are all incomplete.
The main thing is to find Nadia asap for now.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:42:50 PM by Sap1 »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 01:14:00 PM »
It is the river that bothers me.

Rundle Park has a bridge that crosses the river. The Park is an 18 minute drive from her home area.

https://www.edmonton.ca/activities_parks_recreation/parks_rivervalley/rundle-park.aspx

In addition, if she was wearing her head wear, we see a number of women wearing them, and how can you distinguish if it is her?  Even though her lovely face would be uncovered, we seldom pay attention. Sadly.  And without shoes, in this weather - how could she survive?

So many questions.  So many concerns!

I am hoping that a kind stranger has taken her in and is caring for her.  If so, please contact the police so that she can be returned to her family, receive treatment for her confusion, and work towards  living a productive and healthy life.

Failing that, I hope that someone spots her and has a cell phone and takes a picture and contacts the police.

jb

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:12:07 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 07:28:54 PM »
http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crime/police-to-provide-update-on-search-for-32-year-old-missing-woman

Dec 18/17
Missing Edmonton woman's husband pleads for her to come back home
 Hina AlamHINA ALAM
More from Hina Alam

With their two-year-old son in his arms, Nadia Atwi?s husband, Ali Fneich, pleaded Thursday for his wife to come home.

?I?m begging you, Nadia, to come back home,? Fneich said, his voice breaking. ?Me, your son, every member in your family, everybody in Edmonton is waiting for you ? Everybody who loves you is waiting for you. Come back to your son. He just calls your name every night ? just come back, please.?

He was speaking at a news conference Thursday where an update was provided on the disappearance of the 32-year-old woman.

and = this is not the first time Atwi has gone missing, but not for this long, Harrison said, but would not elaborate.

and-

Atwi is 5?8″ tall and weighs about 170 to 180 pounds. She has black or brown eyes and was last seen wearing dark clothing, including a dark, three-quarter-length jacket with a light-coloured liner. Police say Atwi also requires medication and may appear confused. They added she may avoid people if approached.

The investigation remains active and is not being treated as suspicious at this time, he said.

?Time is of the essence in any missing person?s investigation,? he said.

halam@postmedia.com
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 07:37:34 PM by jellybean »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 11:32:50 PM »
She went missing before as well? Well this time she had no shoes on and it's cold out there. In this case it would not even have helped much if her cell phone was tracked since it was in her vehicle and not with her.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 07:22:15 PM »
http://edmontonsun.com/news/local-news/downtown-vigil-planned-for-missing-edmonton-woman/wcm/13f88716-4040-49f2-a1dd-ddfe610446e8

Downtown vigil planned for missing Edmonton woman
Catherine Griwkowsky
More from Catherine Griwkowsky
Published:
December 17, 2017

Updated:
December 17, 2017 9:29 PM MST

Missing Woman in Edmonton 1:47

A candlelight vigil is planned for Sunday night for a missing Edmonton woman.

Emotions boiled over at a candlelight vigil Sunday night for a woman who has been missing for more than a week.

The woman?s husband of five years, Ali Fneich, was chased and punched. Someone shouted ?Murderer.? (Police have said Nadia Atwi?s disappearance is not suspicious.)

A shoving match involving several people ensued, and the vigil, which included several dozen people gathered at Churchill Square, dispersed.

Many people asked reporters not to mention that a fight broke out for fear people would no longer help with the search or that Atwi, who has been missing since Dec. 8, would learn of it and not return.

After speaking with police, Fneich told reporters the dispute was ?understandable? because the family is dealing with strong emotions.

?That?s something normal in these cases,? he said, adding it?s not time to let emotions take over.

One woman was taken into an ambulance.

?We have to bring our efforts tied together to find out where is that wife, that daughter, that mom, that sister,? Fneich said. ?We have to find Nadia Atwi. Let our thoughts, our efforts, our everything lead us to her.?

Before the vigil, Fneich called on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to boost efforts to find Atwi. He said police searches have turned up nothing. Police told him even the theory that she went into the North Saskatchewan River is a low possibility, but he wants more resources to search the river.

Atwi, 32, was last seen in the area of 48 Street and 146 Avenue at 6:30 a.m. Dec. 8. Her vehicle was located at around 12:30 p.m. that day in the Rundle Park area.

?Maybe we can find something the police missed,? Fneich said.

He said he?s found an independent organization that has agreed to bring search dogs Monday to scour the area in Rundle Park where Atwi?s vehicle was found.

?I?ve been not sleeping for 10 days in a row; I can?t sleep,? Fneich said. ?I close my eyes at night, but my head keeps thinking. I?m exhausted. I?m begging everyone to help me find my wife.?

Fneich believes somebody may have picked Atwi up and is either helping or hiding her.

?I feel somebody?s taking care of her,? he said.

Fneich confirmed Atwi had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder 10 years ago and had been going through an episode.

While she had left before, he had always been in touch with her and she returned within 24 hours.

The last conversation the couple had was at 3 a.m. Dec. 8. She asked him when he was coming to bed and he replied soon.

?It?s not the time to be broken,? he said.

Atwi is described as having dark brown hair and brown eyes, weighs between 170 and 180 pounds, stands about five-foot-eight, and was last seen wearing dark clothing. She may be wearing a hijab and may be missing one or both of her shoes. She requires medication and may be confused.

Atwi and Fneich have a two-year-old son, Mohammed, who has been calling for his mother since her disappearance, Fneich said.

?I need her back to her family, I need her back to sit with her son, to play with him, to do the normal errands that any mom in the world will do,? he said.

Police have conducted searches throughout the city in the days following Atwi?s disappearance, including searches with dogs and the Air-1 police helicopter.

Fneich said he?s been getting a lot of offers of help from family members and other supporters who have assisted with searches and distribution of flyers.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:47:02 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 03:27:14 PM »
Nadia has bi-polar. 

Not very easy to cope with - for the person suffering from this illness, and an enormous challenge to one's family. 

When  Bi Polar first strikes a person - it causes a major disruption in the whole family unit. It disrupts friendships, creates job losses and on it goes... leaving family and friends mystified.

Seldom is it quickly diagnosed, and seldom are the right med's for that person prescribed.  It takes time, to get the diagnosis and  patience with trying many different med's until it is just right for that patient, and this can take a very long time.  And boy, these patients have so much courage to continue on - just to get through a day until the right help arrives.

I would have given up a long time ago, if I had to suffer through the symptoms of bi polar.

In fact, many commit suicide.

I found this site today - It will give us a better understanding of Nadia.
 Well worth the read./jb

ttps://www.helpguide.org/articles/bipolar-disorder/bipolar-disorder-signs-and-symptoms.htm

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 07:30:51 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 03:01:14 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-AVI-i_cdI

Video on Nadia.... new information.

jb

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2019, 11:51:01 PM »
50,000. dollar reward posted by Nadia's family for any information regarding Nadia.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/nadia-atwi-missing-one-year-later-1.4938449

Family of Nadia Atwi post $50K reward one year after her disappearance

'We’re frozen in one spot and Nadia is still missing,' Atwi's mother says
CBC News · Posted: Dec 08, 2018 7:46 PM MT | Last Updated: December 8, 2018

Nadia Atwi went missing a year ago. Her mother, Salwa Atwi, says her family is offering a $50,000 reward for information that helps locate her daughter. (Gabrielle Brown/CBC)
A year has passed since Edmonton woman Nadia Atwi went missing, but her family says time has stood still. 

Her mother, Salwa Atwi, doesn't know any more about her daughter's disappearance than she did last December.

"Every day you go to bed not knowing what happened. Your brain is going all day. We're still in the same circle and we did not move one step forward," she said.

"We're frozen in one spot and Nadia is still missing."

Nadia Atwi went missing on Dec. 8. Her car was found in Rundle Park later that afternoon, but few details about the case have come to light since. (Gabrielle Brown/CBC)
On Saturday, the family marked a year since Nadia's disappearance by posting a $50,000 reward for information leading to her whereabouts.

"Just think about your mom, your sister, your daughter, your friends," Salwa said. "Please help us solve this mystery and get Nadia back to her family."

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 05:54:29 PM »
How far away was Rundle Park from her home.

This reminds me of a woman who went missing, her husband made pleas for her return etc. I believe their last name was Smith.  She was found a few miles away, and it was determined "you know who did it."  He walked home.

jb