Author Topic: So where do we go from here Chris?  (Read 1694 times)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
So where do we go from here Chris?
« on: October 15, 2017, 03:04:12 PM »
Now that all picture and/or attachment files posted all these years, have been "corrupted", it sure "waters down" a lot of posts in many threads.  What do you suggest, if anything, as a remedy for this Chris?  Would it help to re-post such pictures or attachments?  or will the new "server" corrupt/distort them as well? 

... or is it safe to assume that any/all newly added (from the beginning of the new server/service) be view-able?    just wondering!  The loss of so much is such a blow to the purpose of all the posts. .. (imo)

Thanks for always being here.  Did the sister site, south of the boarder suffer the same?

Lostlinganer

Sap1

• View Profile
Re: So where do we go from here Chris?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 12:05:27 PM »
Having had forums in the past, I do know that things can get lost in cyberspace. When Forumer sold out to Yuko, some of us lost total forums and all the material posted. One forum we managed to save and transfer to Yuko before Forumer completely evaporated. Things happen, servers sell out and things get lost unfortunately.

Earlier articles posted here on Unsolved also have strange things within the sentences ... some dating back to the very beginning of Unsolved. Some even have Greek looking lettering. This I also noted in forums that Yuko took over. I have no idea what causes it though, it just happens. Just my two cents worth here. :)

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 06:20:27 AM »
I am not that tech inclined; but the pictures are mostly still there.... just look "encrypted" now.  If that is the case, could that condition be reversed?

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 01:49:20 PM »
I also am not tech inclined and was thankful for what Forumer offered as they used to have an easy forum format to ask questions about failures in operation and when they sold out to Yuko it was much more difficult.

I think it possibly is the "coding" used by various servers/companies. Coding makes the difference between successfully copy/pasting picture links. Png, jpegs, gifs, etc.

Also could be the protection a server company uses. Several times when I tried posting pictures elsewhere, I was given the message regarding unsafe site. That should not be a problem though from media articles.

Perhaps Chris will weigh in and get in touch with the server company to straighten that out. If we were sure what format to use, perhaps the pictures would post better. There are also converters free online for changing picture files.
I know I posted a picture here that I had downloaded from an article and when I clicked on the picture myself, it was absent, and it was from a reputable media.
I don't know if a server company can change the coding on files and posts made prior. 

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 12:21:56 PM »
What I find odd Sap, is the fact that most of pictures and many documents posted in the past became corrupted so that we can no longer view them.  I could see it happen to some (according to your logical explanation) but not to tons of information. .... and the seriously ridiculous characters appearing in posts is a whole other story.  The damage done to this site in the "hack" seems like virus to me.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 01:51:37 PM »
It seemed to happen with the switch of servers, so I think it's still to do with the codes, but just my opinion. It happened also back in 2009 or so I noticed when I went back in time to read old posts from before the time I joined and found articles that had been copied and pasted and they had all those odd characters and question marks in the strangest places. Not all but I did run into enough to remain in my memory.

If there is a virus that also can be checked out. I had that done to one forum a friend and I had with some Americans. Things were going strange and we feared we had picked up a virus but I joined my nephew at "go to meeting" so he could peruse around and he found nothing out of order. He is an analyst. At the time we found it was because the server we had ... had changed Ads and the problem was with the Ads. That was because we were getting a free server though and it had to use Ads for payment. I believe Chris actually owns the servers, so Ads would not be a problem.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 02:12:42 AM »
I also just noticed that when I copy and paste an article and preview before posting, the preview is perfect. Once posted the question marks appear. Makes me think it's just a glitch in the system.
It isn't bothering me though, bc I just ignore the odd punctuation as sentences stay the same.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 10:31:54 PM »
A way to possibly save forum information in the future.

Google has Wayback machine and it's an internet archive. They used to capture daily snapshots but not so anymore. I tried to find pictures and newsprint articles lost with the last server change and found that their archive search now includes an option to do a snapshot of the current pages. It's not difficult to do. There is a prompt you just need to click on and it is supposed to archive as is. Just a FYI for anyone interested. :)

eta: Other options:

https://technofizi.net/best-internet-archive-wayback-machine-alternative-sites/