Someone Knows Something - CBC
Podcast By David Ridgen, an award-winning filmmaker

Sign The Petition!

Help find Sheryl Sheppard

Author Topic: Bethany Nastapoka Epoo-14-Homicide -July 22/2017-Inukjuak-Que.  (Read 642 times)

Long Gone

• View Profile
Residents of northern Quebec village worried that teenager's killer still hasn't been found
Bethany Nastapoka Epoo, 14, was found dead near her home in Inukjuak last month
CBC News Posted: Aug 02, 2017 8:22

The mayor of Inukjuak, a village of 1,800 people in Quebec's far north, says people are worried no arrests have been made following the death of a local teenager.

Bethany Nastapoka Epoo's body was found 11 days ago, less than 250 metres from her home. Police are treating the death as a homicide. She was 14 years old.

Inukjuak Mayor Pauloosie Kasudluak says provincial police left days ago, and people in the area are concerned the killer is still among them.

No one has been arrested.

"People are worried, knowing something had happened in the community, and the person who did it might still be here," Kasudluak told CBC News.

Death leaves lasting impression on community

Nastapoka Epoo's funeral was held in a local church on Monday. Kasudluak said people from other communities came to commemorate her life.

He said even though the sun is setting late in the summer, parents have been keeping their children home since Nastapoka Epoo's death.

"In the evening, there were a lot of people going out before it happened, and after that in the evening, it's more quiet," Kasudluak said.

Provincial police say they're waiting for lab results in the investigation. The local police, the Kativik Regional police, are patrolling the town in the meantime.

Long Gone

• View Profile
Re: Bethany Nastapoka Epoo-14-Homicide -July 22/2017-Inukjuak-Que.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 12:08:16 PM »
http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/article/65674nunavik_mother_pleads_for_information_on_teens_death/

August 14, 2017 - 7:55 am
Nunavik mother pleads for information on teen?s death
"Why did this happen to our daughter?"

SARAH ROGERS
The mother of a teenage girl found dead in the Nunavik village of Inukjuak last month has urged community members to come forward with any information that might help find her daughter?s killer.

Bethany Nastapoka Epoo, 14, was found dead outside a home in the Hudson coast community on July 22.

The investigation was turned over to Quebec?s provincial police, the S?ret? du Qu?bec, whose investigators spent last week in the community.

The SQ initially said they found evidence that suggests the 14-year-old was murdered. But police have yet to make any arrests in connection to the girl?s death and that has created anxiety and frustration in the community of 1,750.

?I really have no idea why such a thing would happen to her like this,? the girl?s mother, Maina Nastapoka, said. ?We never did anything wrong to anyone? why did this happen to our daughter who never deserved something like that?

?We need someone to come forward to [explain] why such thing would happen like this to our precious daughter who we love very much.?

Bethany was the second of four children born to Maina Nastapoka and Jobie Epoo of Inukjuak.

She had just finished Secondary 1 at Innalik school where she studied in the French-language stream.

The 14-year-old had a summer job at the local daycare centre; that?s where her mother picked her up at the end of her shift on Friday, July 21.

Later that evening, Bethany went out around 11:30 p.m., telling her mother she was going for a scooter ride with a friend, and that she?d be home afterwards.

But that was the last time her mother saw her daughter.

When Nastapoka awoke the next morning, and her daughter wasn?t home, she figured she?d stayed over at a friend?s place, as she sometimes did.

Bethany?s father returned home mid-day July 22 and asked after his daughter. The parents called and looked around for their daughter, but ?none of her friends knew where she was,? Nastapoka said.

Early that evening, Kativik Regional Police Force officers discovered the girl?s body behind a home.

But police did not inform the girl?s family of her death until the following day, July 23.

?It was the [S?ret? du Qu?bec] who told us because the KRPF handed [the investigation] to them,? Nastapoka said.

?But yes, it took that long until they could really tell us that it was really our daughter.?

Nastapoka said she can?t talk in any more detail about how her daughter died?it?s too difficult, she said.

?She is now home in heaven with our Lord,? she said.

Nastapoka described her daughter as social and well-liked. Her friends called Bethany caring, loving and welcoming.

Family and friends attended a funeral July 31 for the girl in Inukjuak.

Since then, police have not offered any more information to the public related to their investigation.

?The response has been that they?re doing their best,? Nastapoka said.

?We have been getting so much support in our community and I can?t ask for more.?

For its part, the KRPF said its officers in Inukjuak have been ?continuously patrolling? the community, especially in the evenings.

While the investigation is headed by the SQ, Inukjuammiut can contact their local KRPF station at (819) 254-8144 to provide any information they might have about Nastapoka?s death or events leading up to it.

Nunavimmiut can also call Crime Stoppers toll-free at 1-800-711-1800 to provide information anonymously.

Long Gone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 06:33:12 AM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/grieving-inukjuak-father-skeptical-no-one-in-village-of-1-800-has-information-on-daughter-s-homicide-1.4306696

Grieving Inukjuak father skeptical no one in village of 1,800 has information on daughter's homicide
No arrest 2 months after 14-year-old Bethany Nastapoka Epoo found dead
By Catou MacKinnon, CBC News Posted: Sep 26, 2017

The father of a 14-year-old girl found dead two months ago less than 250 metres from her home in the northern Quebec village of Inukjuak is asking anyone with information about her death to come forward.

"I find it hard to believe that in such a small village that someone does not know who is responsible for the death of my daughter," Jobie Epoo said in a telephone interview with CBC.

Epoo, a former captain with the Kativik Regional Police Force, said if people are being threatened to stay quiet, they should not be afraid.

"You have to tell the police if you know any information, and they can quickly arrange protection until an arrest is made."

S?ret? du Qu?bec investigators described the death as a homicide from the beginning and have visited the community three times since July 22, when Nastapoka Epoo's body was discovered between her home and the local adult education centre.

The SQ remains tight-lipped about the investigation, but confirmed the existence of a video that has been shown to people in the community.

Epoo said it's surveillance footage from the adult education center that shows his daughter alive, walking in the direction of her home, at 4 a.m. the day she died.

He said someone else seen earlier on the video appears to be rushing in the same direction one minute after Bethany falls out of view.

Epoo said her body was found about a three-minute walk outside the range of the surveillance camera.

"It's the worst thing that can happen," said Epoo. "It's one thing to lose a daughter, but death in that way is even worse. It is really, really bad and hard to accept."

Epoo said since there have not been any arrests, people are looking over their shoulders, locking their doors and no longer staying out late.

He is also asking young people to avoid going out alone, and to keep their headphones in their pockets so they're aware of their surroundings.
Jobie Epoo and his wife Maina Nastakpoka welcomed Bethany into their lives through a traditional adoption, when they couldn't have children of their own.
"She meant everything to us," he said. "We were very close for years and years." Epoo said. He also said she was growing up quickly, and sometimes stayed out late or overnight at a friend's home.

Epoo remembered his wife saying their daughter "would be home soon" after Bethany failed to turn up to a nephew's birthday party on July 22.

Epoo began to worry around supper time, after some of her friends started to call looking for her. Then he saw the  flashing lights of police cruisers from the window of his home.

"I went to see the police officers guarding the scene, and from there, it started to be quite possible that it could be my daughter."

Epoo and his family had to wait until the following day for Suret? du Qu?bec officers to arrive to confirm his daughter was the victim of a homicide.

"It was the most horrible thing that can happen to any family, and it happened to us this time around," he said.

Long Gone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 07:23:27 AM »
I am a tad upset with this case, ok, maybe more than a tad...

The community is isolated and only 1750 souls live there....The forensic technology that exists today should most certainly be utilized here.. Was there Dna evidence collected ?  Have Le obtained Dna from all the men and boys in the community ?  A killer is almost 99.9999 % a probability among them.  Get this solved !

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 08:45:16 PM »
The SQ remains tight-lipped about the investigation, but confirmed the existence of a video that has been shown to people in the community.

a video of the person, and only 1750 people in the village?

Of course this person can be identified by someone.

The fact that the father was a cop = no one talking ---- could have something to do with it.
And - did the father look at the video?  I bet the video was too fuzzy to make a positive ident.
but surely someone would recognize the walking or running gait of the person... at least.
Village politics might be involved in keeping the villagers silent.
jb

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 01:23:16 PM »
Police protection will not help - even when the killer is caught.
The villagers are all related  {in someway} to one another, and when the protection has gone, they will still be at risk.

At the very least, friendships are lost  to whomever steps forward, and his or her family will be black balled from the villagers. They will become "outsiders" to be forever shunned.
Like all small villages, reserves are very similar,  they do gossip.  And these people have long memories. The story is told and retold, and further embelished with "new made up tales", usually against the victim.

The gossips tend to keep the tribe in line - I would think. The last thing anyone wants is to draw attention to themselves.  That is another reason why young people leave the reserve.

I once knew a Cree woman, who helped me from time to time with cleaning when I came home from a hospital stay, and that is what she told me -

These villagers have a fair idea as to who did it - but I imagine they will never step forward for the above reason.
jb
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:38:39 PM by jellybean »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 01:50:30 PM »
Well that does not do any good to remain silent! It is about time ALL of these people honor the Truth and Reconciliation process and come out with what they are holding back!
86 million plus dollars of taxpayers dollars (and they are taxpayers too, so they lose as well) have gone into T and R and we don't need to see in a couple years time another 86 or so million begged for because the first many inquiries have not worked for everyone.

The village needs to honor a young lady who was murdered and be able to place her remains at peace so the family can heal. Healing does not begin with hiding anything.

Long Gone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 06:55:48 AM »
The lack of media coverage and updates is concerning.   If this young 14 year old girl was murdered in Toronto, Ottawa,etc...I am sure there would be plenty more being reported. The fact that it is an isolated low populated setting greatly increase the percentages that it should be and can be solved ...The killer is still walking free among them. This is not right..

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 11:59:23 AM »
I totally agree Long Gone.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 02:35:43 PM »
An arrest has been made.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/sq-arrest-inukjuak-homicide-1.4353470

17-year-old charged with 1st-degree murder in death of 14-year-old in northern Quebec
Charges come 3 months after death, accused in custody of youth protection
CBC News Posted: Oct 13, 2017 11:41 AM ET Last Updated: Oct 13, 2017 5:37 PM ET

A 17-year-old in Northern Quebec has been charged with first-degree murder, following the death of a teenager last summer.

The victim, a 14-year-old, was found dead fewer than 250 metres from her home on July 22.

The accused is also facing charges of sexual assault and illegal confinement.

A spokesperson for the Crown prosecutor's office said the accused appeared before a judge by telephone.

The bail hearing has been set for Oct. 27.

A spokesperson with the provincial police said the accused remains in the custody of youth protection until that time.

The arrest was made Thursday in Inukjuak, a village of 1,800 people on Hudson Bay.

The Youth Criminal Justice Act prevents the publication of the name of a victim of crime if the accused is a minor.

Long Gone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 04:55:24 PM »
Thanks JB...I was googling her name once a week and that never showed up. I feel awful about this young girls murder and now can find a little comfort in knowing her killer is caught.  I was  a mite cynical about le...
I look at pictures of Bethany and my mind just goes into freeze mode . Why should this young girl's life be stolen? All her dreams, the things she loved...Her smile, her laughter.....I hope her parents are coping , but I know this will effect them till they die...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:11:37 PM by Long Gone »