Author Topic: Finally an Inquiry - untimely death of Betty Anne Gagnon  (Read 1398 times)

Sap1

• View Profile
Finally an Inquiry - untimely death of Betty Anne Gagnon
« on: May 08, 2017, 11:51:41 AM »
This has to be one of the most horrific cases I have seen. No welfare checks by government departments even after several complained about Betty Anne's treatment and none after the crack addict sister tried to get help. It doesn't help matters that Denise never ever bothered to call back whenever assistance was offered.
Crackheads Denise and Michael treated this poor lady worse than most people treat animals. Michael took joy in filming a distressed Betty Anne whom he forced to live in dog runs and outside cages. There are videos at the link, not for the faint of heart. :(

These things happen while our governments send billions of dollars in aid to other countries. What happened to the slogan " charity begins at home"?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/betty-anne-gagnon-inquiry-what-happened-1.4103680

ANALYSIS
Betty Anne Gagnon inquiry to probe woman's tragic death, nearly 8 years later
Gagnon lived with developmental delays from a lack of oxygen at birth. But she went on to live a very independent life in Calgary, with the help of caregivers. She rode the bus by herself, held a job, loved shopping, daydreamed about swimming with dolphins and voraciously read the newspapers.

It's jarring to compare that life to her existence before she died. After her caregivers moved away from Calgary, Gagnon went to live with her sister near Edmonton, where she was eventually confined to a dog run, a feces-smeared tent, and various cages on the rural property, forced to sleep outside in an unheated school bus, beaten and called names.

INTERACTIVE | What happened to Betty Anne Gagnon?
Betty Anne Gagnon: Documents show warning signs ignored before death
CBC spent more than a year trying to uncover what happened, by reviewing court documents, evidence gathered for the trial (including pictures and video of the crime scene), and conducting more than 10 hours of interviews with people who have direct knowledge of the case.

The resulting picture reminds one of an old proverb:

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.

For want of a shoe the horse was lost.

For want of a horse the rider was lost.

For want of a rider the message was lost.

For want of a message the battle was lost.

For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.

And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

The fatality inquiry will examine what happened, to possibly identify cracks in the system and look for ways to improve it. But the most heart-breaking cracks here were not systemic. They were human.

Perhaps they were horseshoe nails.

betty-anne-gagnon-bus
According to documents, Gagnon spent the last night of her life sleeping in this unheated bus, which had been converted into a camper. At times, she was also kept in cages scattered around the property of her caregivers. (RCMP)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 11:59:51 AM by Sap1 »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Finally an Inquiry - untimely death of Betty Anne Gagnon
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 12:11:55 PM »
Not one person in authority, got off their butts and went to the home to see this disabled woman and her family?

Shocking - but not terribly surprised.

Shame on them. That includes PDD, and the RCMP.

Lots of blame to go around here.
I hope changes are made in out system.
Why was this woman brought to Edmonton area from Calgary, when she was perfectly happy there?
Someone wasn't thinking straight.  I wonder about the mentality of the couple who took her in.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 01:05:26 PM »
JB her caregivers in Calgary moved away and Betty Anne was taken in by her sister and BIL. Sister was an RN who was not working due to psyche issues apparently (and as alleged in articles). There seemed to be issues that the sister required help with mentally and didn't strive for. Instead she and her husband did crack, which very likely was the source of their psyche problems to begin with. Betty Anne's sister was offered help with Betty Anne but she never called the people back.

Lets hope there is something significant that comes out of this inquiry. These agencies need a huge overhaul because they have failed badly in protecting many different cases. Everyone passing the buck and washing their hands. It's still that way when one phones any government agency ... after about half an hour and many transfers ... no one is there. Answering machine tells you to call a certain number, so you get off the phone and dial the number and it happens to be the same number you just dialed. I let them know how incompetent I believe they are. They do not care b/c at the end of the day they leave there knowing they get paid.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 05:12:15 PM »

Sap1
These agencies need a huge overhaul because they have failed badly in protecting many different cases. Everyone passing the buck and washing their hands. It's still that way when one phones any government agency ... after about half an hour and many transfers ... no one is there. Answering machine tells you to call a certain number, so you get off the phone and dial the number and it happens to be the same number you just dialed. I let them know how incompetent I believe they are. They do not care b/c at the end of the day they leave there knowing they get paid.
[/b]

Here is a helpful hint..... threaten to go to the press.  I know of a few people who have given that threat, and probably meant it.... and got attention licky split.

Thanks Sap for the background on this case.  There is one thing that bothers me deeply.
A handicapped adult who cannot look after their affairs, requires a Legal Guardian - be it a family memeber, or failing that -- the Public Guardian.

Did this woman have a legal Guardian?  She would have received a monthly Provincial Disability Pension from the Province, that is a little over $1500 per month.  Guardianship papers must be presented to the authorities in order to receive it, I believe.

A legal Guardian can leave the province and still maintain Guardianship  - but not the country. Not sure, I agree with that rule.

So shocking - and horrible... it literally makes my stomache sick.

Time served was not long enough.  Sick and tired of people's defence focusing on the addiction, not the person's crime - nor the victim.

jb

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 01:28:27 AM »
TY re: tip  :)

Regarding legal guardian, it seems as per articles that Betty had two older brothers and a father who stipulated she remain with the sister who was a nurse.
According to articles, before she left Calgary she had been a roommate of two friends. These friends claimed that Betty even had a job she attended, as long as she had some help. If she held down a job, she wouldn't have gotten AISH.
As soon as she stayed with her sister, she began declining. If the sister had been consistent and persistent, she probably would have been able to get AISH for Betty.
I suppose when the inquiry is finished we may know more. All the agencies who are there to protect vulnerable people, failed her badly.