Author Topic: Edmonton Unsolved Murders & Missing People  (Read 33967 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Edmonton Unsolved Murders & Missing People
« on: September 18, 2007, 03:52:35 AM »
This section has posts for missing people and unsolved murders in the Edmonton Alberta region.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
Re: Edmonton Unsolved Murders & Missing People
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 08:58:43 AM »
I believe this a case of self defence, That jerk put this woman thru' the ringer. Good Lord, he threatened her, called her a whore, set her bed on fire, and burned her with cigarettes.He also gave her death threats. I am so happy this woman, went to the police, with her side, as this guy was an explosive waiting to happen.
To Dawn Agnes McGilvery, have hoe, and know that there is people like us, who can empthasize., and heelp you cross those hurdles. To any one who knows her, ask her to call WIN house. They hive good advice. If Dawn is in the remand, pass the word che has supporters....thx

An Edmonton woman claiming self defence in the stabbing death of her boyfriend wailed and sobbed uncontrollably while testifying in her own defence yesterday.

Dawn Agnes McGilvery, 32, told a jury she does not remember the actual slaying, but described being beaten and burned with a cigarette and fearing for her life.

"I was feeling terrified and scared. I was tired of him hitting me and hurting me," said McGilvery, who kept breaking down, saying her testimony was "bringing it all back."

McGilvery told jurors that Ronald Edward Funk, 40, became angry with her after getting jealous over a man she had been talking about on the phone with a girlfriend.

She said he called her a whore, punched and kicked her repeatedly, pulled her by the hair, choked her, burned her twice with a cigarette and tried to set her bed on fire.

"He just wouldn't stop hitting me. He was crazy," she said.

"All I wanted to do was get out and get away from him."

McGilvery testified she told him their relationship was over and she was going to go to the police and have him charged and said he then threatened to kill her.

He said "before this night is over, you're going to die."

McGilvery said she passed out on her bed and woke up to the sounds of the smoke alarm and saw a fire beside her.

She said Funk was sitting staring at her and then he burned her again with a cigarette and began choking her.

"And then I don't know what happened after that," she said crying loudly with her hands covering her face.

"I never meant for this to happen. I never wanted it to happen. I'm sorry. I was scared."

McGilvery has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder and possession of a dangerous weapon for the Oct. 30, 2005, stabbing at her third-floor suite at 11143 124 St.

The jury heard Funk died as a result of two fatal stab wounds, one to his leg and the other to his chest.

Jurors have also heard Funk and McGilvery had a dysfunctional, alcohol-fuelled relationship in which both visited violence upon one another.

Her testimony is slated to continue today.

Miller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 03:37:29 PM »
Indeed- its not like she had any choice either.

For example we once had a friend who's boyfriend beat her often.   She had numerous stiches and scars on her body from his attentions.  He had a record for dealing coke and had been charged with assault before. He was 19 and was known to sleep with 14 year old girls out in Bon Accord and St Albert.  WE knew he was trouble and told her she could stay with us until she found a new place.

He freaked out and threatened to kill all of us, then he pissed all over the door of our apartment and left.

We called the RCMP.  They came out and said we could do nothing- it was 'he said she said' as far as they were concerned.  They had come out because when the fellow had threatened to hurt us I had said that if I saw him around our place I would be sure to have a nightstick handy.  They said that if he attacked us and I used a weapon to defend us I could be charged with assault.  I told them I could understand their reasoning but that I'd rather go to jail for assault than see that bastard harm one hair on any of my families head.   Ever since my wife has not slept well at nights- eventually we got into a routine where she eventually sleeps around 2am and I stay up till she wakes up again.  That was 4 years ago and its the life we live to this day.

Eventually we moved and he doesnt know where we are.  The girl was able to avoid him long enough to move on with her life and I think she is doing well for herself.  But he was never charged and is out there right now, abusive, violent, 23 years old and still has a fancy for 14 year old girls.  I still have my nightstick.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 07:04:18 PM »
What foolish advice. That cop should know that we all have a right to use reasonable force to defend ourselves. Uttering threats is a crime, especially if there are witness's.

No one should have to live like that. If anything happens again, go to the police department and file a complaint instead of calling the cops. That way, you can speak someone else if the person taking your complaint does not respond.

Miller

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 10:07:26 PM »
Thanks- yeah I was a little disheartened to hear them say they would do so little.   I dont beleive in vigilante justice but it almost seems like these women will have no choice because until they are actually being beating and killed the police have 'limited' interest.   I do have friends in law enforcement who gave me 'off the record' advice and so I  do have some faith in how the system works- but to hear that they couldnt do anything about him until he got violent... changed my whole perception of the way the law works ;)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 10:25:29 AM »
Yeah one of the most frustrating things about the law is how it seems more concerned with the rights of the criminals, and less about the rights of the victims. There needs to be some changes.

CraftyGal

• Remember adopt-Don't Shop!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 10:38:42 PM »
Miller, I know exactly where you are coming from.

You see, I escaped an extremely abusive partner, however not without repercussions.  After laying charges of assault, he was told to stay away from my house.  Up until this time he had NO knowledge of where we were living, that is my daughter (now 19) and myself.

Okay so get this, it was the criminal justice system that gave a very violent man my new address, that he didn't have before.  he was finding a way of breaking into the house and stealing personal items and he even left a very lovely gift for my daughter, a knife stabbed through her favorite doll.  I call RCMP over and over and there was nothing that they could do.

Even the night that he had a gun pointed at me, I was informed that it was a 40 minute wait as the the police were tied up with a major car collision that night.  That changed, while on the phone to 911, he fired a shot.  Missed my head by an inch.  My daughter and I were whisked out of there with promises that he would face charges, yadyadya.  He never faced any charges other than common assault. 

To this day nothing is in my name whether it be phone, cable, Epcor.  Nothing that is traceable.  I have a semblance of a "normal" life now.  I am married and live in a nice house, even though we are renovating.  My family loves me.

One of the things I learned to do with this situation was to document EVERYTHING, every phone call, every email (although that was in its infancy at that time), every contact whether directly or indirectly.  Call the police EVERY TIME he makes contact.  Get an alarm system, preferably one that is connected audibly to the alarm box, such as ADT or Alarmforce.  When you report anything make sure to the persons name and badge number, if it is a police officer.  If you feel that you aren't not being heard go to their commanding officer. Each district has a day and night time commanding officer.

Above all, please remember that you are not alone in this.

Crafty

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 12:01:52 AM »
Wow he shot at you and he did not get in that much trouble? This must have been in the old days before mandantory 4 years for gun use in a crime or did a pathetic judge give him the benifit of the doubt?

CraftyGal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 12:49:08 AM »
No, I firmly believe that he was a police informant, because the previous charges against had been dropped.  He had been charged with aggravated assault, kidnapping, forcible confinement, assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest.  The charges were dropped, this was in Vancouver.   Two weeks later, I bumped into him on the street, with a friend and my daughter in stroller (She was 18 months old).  He tried to smash my head into the wall of the provincial courthouse on main street.  Thank god, for the bikers coming out of the NUmber 5 Orange.  They saved my ass as well as my daughter.  It took two days to convince the cops to charge him with assault, even with all the witnesses.  He pled guilty and got a years probation.  I believe he is in Winnipeg or somewhere in Manitoba.

Crafty

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 12:53:52 PM »
That is terrible. It really is sad that police\prosecuters cover up for these types just for that.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 01:50:43 PM »
I think police are forced to reply on them so much. If I am not mistaken, judges took away the ability of the police to offer lower sentences in exchange for info, and prevented police from using 'operatives' to gather evidence, so they sort of have to reply on what they have to gather inteligence and that is about it.

I guess these individuals are so hard to find, they do whatever they can to keep them.

CraftyGal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 01:05:33 AM »
Sounds to me like the cops were treating you like a prostutite.Hell even the homeless have more rights then that.

You know I never looked at it like that.  Police usually turn a blind eye to domestic assualts, at leat back then.  I'm not sure what the attitude is now.

Crafty

CraftyGal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 01:16:01 PM »
CL we are talking 20 yrs ago.  The beat cops tried everything to help and were told to let it go.  It was wehn they ran his name not mine.  I refuse to blamed for his behavior.

Crafty

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 02:29:56 PM »
That was still in the day when the courts and DA's did not take certain crimes seriously (domestic violence, drunking and driving, child molestation etc). I think in this day something else would have been done. At least I hope.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 03:45:25 AM »

Is Georgette Flint , still a kARE VICTIM? She was found in Elk Island Park, off a dead end road, and a path quite aways to where she was dropped. I went with her mom, six years after the fact. Police tape still up.and plastic flowers Lynn had laid there.

Lynn Karpetz, went to the papers, was on numerous talk shows, as well as in the papers. She kept in constant touch with the cops. She also came down to the core, or the warzone, looking for answers, and looking for her Killer(s).

We have lost touch. I am trying to find her.I am hoping she is Ok, and still around, as Georgies death, tortured her soul.