Author Topic: Elizabeth Wettlaufer charged in nursing home deaths - Southwest Ontario  (Read 25599 times)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Wettlaufer charged in nursing home deaths - Southwest Ontario
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2016, 01:39:04 PM »
The picture of her in the electric chair.  Too bad it was not plugged in!

Since she is such a pushy, attention demanding person, I am quite certain that an electric chair charged up and ready to go - would definately get the public's attention.

I wonder what her ex-husband Dan, thinks of  this?

jb
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:21:14 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2016, 05:30:03 PM »
She is "something else"!

I cannot believe how a "loose cannon" could have survived that long, without getting into trouble with the law sooner.

Things like shop lifting for example. Start small and build up from there.

No word of anything like that, no, no - she took the big leap and went for serial murder.... ::)
(Plus, I have a strong feeling she killed two of her own cats)

We Canadians can sure Churn Out some dangerous Weirdos!!

Oh God!! ::)

jb

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:44:42 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2016, 06:17:04 PM »
Make what up? That she murdered these people?
Hmm.. if that is your meaning, then she is indeed very sick.
It is only through her confession, that charges were laid..... no autopsies ensued upon the death of these seniors.
Quite possible.....long gone, but I doubt it.

jb
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 06:21:30 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2016, 06:23:30 PM »
It has occurred to me that she might not have done any of this...Could be she just made it up to garner some attention . I hope she did make it up..

That would be a good line for her Defense Lawyer to use..... for sure.

jb

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2016, 07:00:38 PM »

That does it for me.

Why is all of this coming out now?

jb

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2016, 12:13:09 PM »
Not all nursing homes are so inadequate as not to notice what staff do to patients. There's really not much they can do either if a staff member seems "off" or "weird" or just "different", but someone should keep an eye out for other behaviors. Problem is, in an earlier article, Wettlaufer stated she did these murders on the night shift and there may only have been herself and a nursing aide for the whole floor. It is usually bare bones staffing at night so it was likely easy for her to do her deeds while the aide was elsewhere.

For awhile I was thinking this may have been an attention thing as well however, the families of the patients noticed a rapid decline to coma in their loved ones. It is not unusual for an elderly patient to be quite ok one day and down the next. Still in my opinion, if the elderly patients had been fairly stable, eating ok and drinking ... that a rapid decline should be investigated. Such as bloodwork drawn, vital signs taken, etc even if they were on a "do not resusitate" order. At any rate, the patients changed condition should have been brought forth to the Doctor who decides what course of action to take ... depending on the patients conditions and specific problems.

Very odd she told a neighbor about her reasons for changing jobs frequently ... makes me think she knew she was out of control and wanted to be caught, since no rehab seemed to work for her. I wonder how long she worked privately in clients homes ... 

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2016, 12:20:33 PM »
Gives one the impression that nursing homes play fast and loose with  genuine concern for residents. The woman was supposed to be a professional. She should been reported to Le and had her licence to practice revoked long before she uttered her confession.

I have said all along, that staff not up to snuff, are fired, and they just continue on.  These nursing homes are very much to blame as to these deaths. She was fired for stealing drugs for her own use.
They had a responsibility to report her to the RN Association, at the very least.
This would have taken away her credentials, and she would not be able to continue on.

This happens with Dr's in hospitals, dentists, and also in many other fields.

The premise behind this, is some Institutions are ashamed of being exposed as their reputations are at stake.  The possible conclusion of the public being this is not a good place for their loved one, should it be be known, that an RN is stealing drugs and drinking on the job thus it is swept under the rug and the employee is let go.

I agree with SAP, bare bones staff on midnight shift gave her the ample opportunity.
I also wonder about her friends, who did not report it.

There is much blame to go around.  imo

JB

« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 12:26:49 PM by jellybean »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2016, 12:40:12 PM »
The other thing is that with credentialed staff (licensed) ...one has to have proof when reporting them, other than "she said" and many people just do not want to be involved ... apathy.
I've seen a few investigations going on already and in most cases it was drawn out over a year. It is not a very good feeling to be asked to watch and report on a co-worker. At least in my instance, I was very nervous about it. The person we were asked to keep an eye on was a great nurse whom Admin thought was under some influence at work, whether alcohol, medications or both. So when working together I would watch her routine ... rounds first and patient care ... then she would go to her purse take something out and soon she had a styrofoam cup with a drink. When she answered a patient call bell, I smelled the drink but could not detect alcohol and short of tasting it, could not make a judgement.
Wttlaufer may have been on observation, but the fact that the care homes let it slide when she found other employment were lacking in good judgement.
I agree JB, the care home Admin/staff should shoulder the blame too.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2016, 11:58:43 AM »
This excuse for a "nurse" imo should be thrown to the lions (the victims' loved ones left behind).  I cannot imagine any other way of her getting just deserves.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2016, 01:22:16 PM »

Here is a similar case to Wettlaufer's,of an Australian nursing home "team leader" who used insulin overdoses to kill two residents, and attempt a third. He had also moved from place to place due to complaints and dismissals. The home's record keeping of medicines was lax, and a civil suit against the home claiming negligence is planned.

The killer, who pled not guilty, was sentenced to 40 years. It will interesting to see how Canadian justice measures up to Australian.

Sentencing: Dec. 2016 (40 years)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-13/nsw-nursing-home-killer-garry-davis-jailed-for-40-years-murder/8115392

Found guilty: Sept. 2016
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-28/nursing-home-employee-garry-davis-found-guilty-of-murder/7883704

Denied bail: Dec. 2014
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-19/nurse-refused-bail-over-alleged-nursing-home-double-murder-in-n/5979942

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2016, 01:36:20 PM »

Debbie, is it feasible to have a board which has Elizabeth Wettlaufer's name in the subject title, and a reference to nursing home deaths, or something similar? Now that she has been charged, people may look for her specific case on the forum. 

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2016, 01:50:53 PM »
That sounds like a good idea Have Faith. Would you like to start it?

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2016, 02:06:22 PM »
That sounds like a good idea Have Faith. Would you like to start it?

Since Ron started this one, he may like to either change the subject name on this one, or start another one for E.W.  It's up to you Ron.  :)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2016, 06:20:32 PM »
Sounds good. I'm sure he'll see this when he logs on.

Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2016, 09:23:11 PM »
Hi debbiec. If you would like to change the name is fine with me. I will let you choose the new name. Thanks, Ron.