Author Topic: The life and death of Colten Boushie  (Read 3650 times)

• View Profile
Re: The life and death of Colten Boushie
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2018, 08:12:19 PM »
CBC's criticizing post on the investigation was made worse by an oversight. On TV and also a small print as an update to an earlier long article, the following is the mistake they made. Lies and stories will now have to be changed to reflect that, and most likely there will be no acceptance to the retraction at all.

A previous version of this story said that after first arresting Gerald Stanley, the RCMP released him from custody before taking a formal statement. In fact, he was not released from custody. A previous version of this story also said there's no indication the RCMP ever seized Stanley's clothes. In fact, they did seize the clothing he was wearing at the time of the shooting.
Mar 12, 2018 2:34 PM CT

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Today at 02:30:01 PM »
I wholly believe race was a factor in the incident, the judgment, media reporting and popular opinion. There is overwhelming structural injustice against Indigenous peoples across Turtle Island and the provincial and federal governments have shameful records of violence. The Tina Fontaine case is a heartbreaking example of this in terms of government policy to place Indigenous children -- MINORS -- on their own in HOTELS as a "child and family services" practice. How could this ever be ok? You have to look at which kids get this treatment and consider how these minors are implicitly deemed "expendible" populations. Further, long histories of environmental racism by governments, industries, and alliances of both demonstrate WHICH communities are located beside toxic dump sites, sewage systems, and more; health care is also differentially experienced by Indigenous peoples, and I won't even bother to get started on the Indian Act.....
Canada ranks high on the global "happiness list" but it bombs, as the UN acknowledges, in its treatment of Indigenous peoples. It's devastating once yo actually learn/know what is ACTUALLY going on. The problem is that the general population in Canada is carefully and strategically taught NOT to know these things, and are left with calculated stereotypes and fear....
I think what people REALLY need to remember in the Colton Boushie case is that a young man was shot in the head at POINT BLANK range while seated in his vehicle. AND that the case was decided by an all-white jury. The latter point speaks most pointedly to the INjustice system in Canada. In other circumstances, one might at the least expect a verdict of manslaughter, since CB was NOT armed (the rifle was not operable and certainly more importantly NOT visible to GS) and GS has testified he did NOT mean to shoot. IF one opted to believe his version of events that sounds a LOT like manslaughter.
The structural inequalities that are legal, economic, political and cultural do not simply "trickle down" to interpersonal relations; they shape and frame and PRODUCE, in effect, how we understand humanity and who we consider "grieveable."  I remain shocked by this case and yet concomitantly UNsurprised. Things are breaking in our country and my heart goes out to Indigenous nations here who bear the brunt of structural violence. There has been no justice for Colton, his family, community, or Indigenous peoples more broadly. As someone of settler origin I am not proud in this to be Canadian.

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Today at 03:08:30 PM »
My heart always has been broken with the conditions of our Indigenous People.

I am in favor and passionate about supporting life changes.

I agree that manslaughter charges should have been given.

I do not agree that it is okay to go onto other peoples property, attempt to steal a vehicle, hit another vehicle, etc.

Did CB deserve to die for this?  Absolutely not. 

Do I strongly feel that Aboriginals should be on juries?
Always should be included.

I am not ashamed of being Canadian.  There is room for improvement, and we are making an attempt to listen, learn and work towards change.  However, change is a two way street.

I think there is no better time than now to create positive change, however using the case of CB as a form of injustice to natives is not a good example.  These young adults had just left a farm previously that day causing hell, and angst with that farmer.

That was the take off point with me.... and I was unaware at the time that he was native. If I had of known, should I have looked at the situation differently?  No. I looked at this tragic event in a contained manner, it was a stand alone tragedy that never should have happened.I have left the native issue out of the equation when looking at this whole mess.

Both sides were in the wrong. 

White raiders have been shot at as well, in that hot bed of raids and thefts. 
So far, none of them have been killed, and they are lucky.

The message should be loud and clear..... do not tresspass unless you have permission to do so.

The payment of death due to trespassing, is wrong, A horrible price to pay and many of us feel that Stanley should have received some form of punishment. However, due to sloppy investigation, and the kids not being honest to the cops or the courts, it did not help the situation when it came time for the jury to come up with a verdict.

This incident arose because of the very concern that farmers had and have been complaining about for some time. It was plastered all over the media, and talked about in that area for months prior to this incident.

The main issue is that these farmers felt that they had to arm themselves, due to break ins, thefts of valuable equipment, livestock etc.
I do not agree with it, but support from  the law was not there and vigilante mind sets prevailed.  Protect themselves. The law is not on their side.

It was well known by raiders that farmers would be armed and on the look out as they had enough.

You tell me, that CB and his friends do not bear any responsibility for this very tragic event. I say that they do bear some of it, and they should.

Not once has the family, nor supporting groups ever suggested that these young people should not have gone to that property, nor the previous property, not lie to the police, and to the courts.

It is time that we grew up and stop this hysterical reaction.
It is time that others respect owners rights of land and belongings.

On this thread there are examples, of real horrendous miscarriage of justice of natives, and their treatment.
There is no comparison.

Now there is a law enforcement response. Too late for one farmer, and his victim.

The province has announced the creation of a new Protection and Response Team to help fight crime in rural Saskatchewan.

The team will consist of 258 armed officers with arrest and detention powers, including:

120 police officers from RCMP and municipal police services
60 police positions currently deployed to the Combined Traffic Services Saskatchewan Initiative
30 new police positions and 30 repurposed police positions currently funded by the Ministry of Justice

In addition, 40 highway commercial vehicle enforcement officers will be armed and, along with conservation officers who already carry guns, will be able to respond to calls and make arrests.

That means conservation officers could be called to break and enters if they were closer to the scene than the RCMP.

« Last Edit: Today at 06:06:14 PM by jellybean »