Author Topic: The life and death of Colten Boushie  (Read 11467 times)

Sap1

• View Profile
Re: The life and death of Colten Boushie
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 11:41:43 PM »
I agree with you JB, we share the same problems. However it is the way problems are handled, or not, that makes a difference in a child's/teens life. Parents need to be aware of what kids are doing and set them straight. Is it happening?

How many communities are now working together with first nations to understand? I do know that the St. Albert community has begun to come together in truth and reconciliation. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:08:22 AM by Sap1 »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 01:51:10 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/gerald-stanley-trial-jury-deliberations-continue-1.4527807

Jury deliberations in Gerald Stanley's murder trial focus on moment Colten Boushie shot
Jurors can find Sask. farmer guilty of 2nd-degree murder or manslaughter, or not guilty
By Jason Warick, CBC News Posted: Feb 09, 2018 7:06 AM CT Last Updated: Feb 09, 2018 1:00 PM CT

Jurors are expected to listen to several hours of audiotaped testimony today as they continue deliberations to determine the fate of Gerald Stanley, the Saskatchewan farmer charged in the death of Colten Boushie.

The 56-year-old farmer has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder. Boushie, 22, was shot in August 2016.

The trial at Battleford Court of Queen's Bench, approximately 130 kilometres northwest of Saskatoon, is nearing the end of its second week. Following jury selection, witness testimony and closing arguments from Crown and defence lawyers, the seven-woman, five-man jury was sequestered and began deliberating Thursday afternoon.

Listen to episode 4 of CBC Saskatchewan's original podcast 'Boushie'
'Hearsay' from Reddit and other things the Gerald Stanley trial jury didn't hear

Just before 8:30 p.m. CST, the jury submitted a written request to Chief Justice Martel Popescul to listen again to certain portions of the testimony by Stanley and his son, Sheldon Stanley.

Much of the testimony covered details in the hours and minutes before the vehicle containing Boushie entered the Stanley farm's yard.
'I just wasn't thinking straight': Gerald Stanley cross-examined at his 2nd-degree murder trial

'Use your collective common sense': Jury now deliberating verdict at Gerald Stanley trial

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 06:42:56 PM »
OMG! According to Reddit Heresay, he confessed to police! I have no idea about Reddit or how they get their information ... whether it was straight from police or ??

How far can people be pushed before they explode and do the unthinkable? There are many articles on the Web regarding break and enters and high end thefts from farmers in that particular area in Sask. It must be bad if farmers have a gun at ready. I don't condone such retributive violence at all but the farmers are also between a rock and a hard place. Farmers don't have a steady cash flow monthly and replacing costly quads and other such necessary equipment can be costly ... especially if insurance refuses to cover them because they live in a high risk area. That happened to me when I lived in the north ... slashed tires ... I was told insurance won't cover because of that very reason. There are many thefts of cattle in Sask as well ... that is thousands of dollars that cannot be put back in the farm.

My husband and I farmed near (15 miles) a metis settlement and never had any problems here in northwestern Ab. (different area from above) When skilled laboring jobs were at a minimum here, some of the young lads took to fishing and selling fish fresh caught ... and I was thankful for that because we loved the fresh fried fish. Some youths worked for a land speculator clearing land and they would drop in for fresh water occasionally and I made sure they also had enough food. Never any problems. So what is the difference? I have not a clue.

So in Sask this has been going on for years. Where are the elders who teach these young people? Do they not teach them to respect everyone else's property?

I am sorry for the family and relatives of Colten that this tragedy happened, I really am! But anger and retribution will not fix a long brewing feud.

eta: Then there is this type of thing ... I wonder if initially the thefts were blamed on aboriginals in the area?
   https://www.realagriculture.com/2016/02/sask-farmer-charged-with-1-2-million-in-equipment-thefts/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:07:03 PM by Sap1 »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 11:06:26 AM »
SAP1, I totally agree with what you are saying on this case. I do believe the elders should be telling youth to respect property and to find some kind of entertainment for themselves and sports, such as fishing and hockey. I think the elders are not putting themselves in the farmer's place, what they would do if four youths came on their property when they were not invited. I also believe that the three other youths that were with Colten, should come clean and tell the real reason they went on Mr. Stanley's property. If they would tell the truth of the reasons they went there, they could stop a lot of disruption and make things quiet down, so to say. It is a horrible thing to happen, a young man died while out with his friends, whatever they had in mind that particular day. Let us just forget that he was a native young man, he could have been a young white man, accompanied by other friends. I believe the outcome would have been the same, the farmer would be suspect of them being on his property for a negative reason and would have acted in the same manner. I do not believe there was any target of his ethnic background at all. I think it was a situation that all went very bad for everyone.  We wish them all peace. Thoughts and prayers to everyone involved in this matter. 8) 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:29:56 AM by capeheart »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 12:41:09 PM »
Agreed Cape. When the farmer saw one person jump out and head for his quad, I really doubt race was on his mind. He was worried about his wife whom he could not see and the loss of a farm necessity. I think of all the provinces, Sask has been embroiled in race problems for a very long time. Whether the thoughts are justified, I have no clue.
What happened to summer ball games that keep youth entertained, rather than sitting by the river and getting high. Southern Sask always had ball games on weekends years ago.
I joined a Royal Purple group when I lived in the country and we catered with fast food shacks to many a ball game. The best teams were always aboriginals. They practiced hard and played hard. No time for drinking by the river. 

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 12:51:32 PM »
There is so much hatred and anger within that community.  The verdict has the Aboriginals and Metis focused on the unfair bias systematically given to the native people within the court system.
The death of this young man has politicized,,,,, further raising the tensions within the white and aboriginal/metis communities.

In fact, when I first saw it on tv, (the farmers concerns], there was no mentioning of natives being the culprits whatsoever.  It is only recently did I learn that this young man was native.

If one looks at the matter and leaves the colour of his skin out of the equation, it can lead one to simple facts.

The trial was about a man who  shot a youth on his property.  He was found not
guilty, The youth had no business being there in the first place.

I  thought that Mr. Stanley should receive something, but he did not.

I was surprised to learn that there were no Aboriginals on the jury.

Whos is to say what the outcome would have been.  It might have been a hung one.

The Bouchies will appeal.  Honestly, I had tears in my eyes when I watched the Bouchie family on tv when the verdict of Not Guilty was given, and the passionate words of their defence lawyer in response to the verdict gave me food for thought.

This trial aside, we really need to think about our jury system, to make sure that there is a cross section of cultures within it, especially where serious charges are involved.

jb

Everyone loses.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:14:02 PM by jellybean »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 12:57:47 PM »
Stanley acquitted. Long article with videos, twitter, etc. I really thought it would be at least manslaughter. I`m happy to read that Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould will meet with the Boushie family. I find her a refreshingly intelligent, knowledgeable, fair minded and calm person ... exactly what a grieving family requires.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/gerald-stanley-colten-boushie-verdict-1.4526313

Some excerpts:

Several people in the courtroom yelled "Murderer!" seconds after a Saskatchewan jury found Gerald Stanley not guilty of killing Colten Boushie early Friday evening.

The Battleford Court of Queen's Bench jury began deliberating Thursday afternoon and returned its verdict Friday evening.

Bobby Cameron, the chief of the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations, spoke at FSIN's North Battleford office at a hastily-called press conference two hours after the trial's conclusion.

Cameron expressed deep skepticism about Stanley's assertion that the gun he was holding accidentally went off, killing Boushie.

"In this day and age, when someone can get away with killing somebody, when someone can get away with saying, 'I accidentally walked to the storage shed, I accidentally grabbed a gun out of the storage box and I accidentally walked back to the car and then I accidentally raised my arm in level with the late Colten Boushie's head, then my finger accidentally pushed the trigger' ? what a bunch of garbage," said Cameron before tightly-packed crowd.

Trudeau 'can't imagine' family's grief
Cameron said Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould has promised to meet with the Boushie family in the near future.

The high-profile trial has drawn attention across Canada, and both Wilson-Raybould and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau acknowledged the verdict on social media on Friday night.

Thank you PM @JustinTrudeau. My thoughts are with the family of Colton Boushie tonight. I truly feel your pain and I hear all of your voices. As a country we can and must do better - I am committed to working everyday to ensure justice for all Canadians.

After the verdict was read out and people left the courtroom in shock, many members of the Boushie family went into a private room on the second floor of the courthouse. Loud sobbing and screams ? including "Colten! Colten! Colten!" ? could be heard through the door.

"This is not right. Something has to be done about this!" said Alvin Baptiste, Boushie's uncle, after the verdict was read aloud.

Alvin Baptiste, Colten Boushie's uncle, says there is no justice for his nephew1:37

Outside the courthouse, Baptiste said to reporters the justice system has to change to serve First Nations people.

"We will not give up our fight for justice," Boushie's cousin Jade Tootoosis said on the courthouse steps, adding that her family has felt uncomfortable and victimized throughout the process.

'There was no justice served here': Colten Boushie's cousin Jade Tootoosis reacts to Gerald Stanley's not guilty verdict1:12

"I ask you to try and understand the nearly bottomless disappointment" of the family, said Chris Murphy, the Boushie family lawyer, referring to the apparent lack of any Indigenous people from the 12-person jury. (CBC News has no way to independently determine at this time whether any of the jurors have Indigenous backgrounds.)

Chris Murphy outside Battleford courthouse after Gerald Stanley verdict
'I ask you to try and understand [their] nearly bottomless disappointment,' said Boushie family lawyer Chris Murphy. (Jason Warick/CBC)

"There is a darkness that exists in this country," said Murphy. "I believe we are going to have feel our way out of it."

'We are all hurting'
Kimberly Jonathan, vice-chief of the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations, said the verdict is a continuation of the atrocities Indigenous people have faced in Canada, citing the residential school system and the Sixties Scoop.

Jonathan also urged all First Nations people to be peaceful in the aftermath.

FSIN Vice Chief Kim Jonathan after verdict
Kim Jonathan, vice -chief of the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations, reacts to the verdict outside the courthouse. (Jason Warick/CBC)

"The family called for calm. The family prayed for peace," she said.

"We're are all hurting. We all face racism. Everyone sees it. I see it as a mother."

Senior Crown Prosecutor Bill Burge did not rule out an appeal. He said they would evaluate their options.

Bill Burge Crown prosecutor after Colten Boushie verdict
Crown prosecutor Bill Burge did not comment when asked if he was surprised by the verdict. (Jason Warick/CBC)

"There's never any winner in a case like this," he told reporters outside the courthouse.

'We didn't leave anything out': Senior Crown Prosecutor Bill Burge says his team will examine its position in near future3:05

When asked if he was surprised by the verdict, Burge declined to reply.

Boushie and four other young people from the Red Pheasant Cree Nation reserve drove onto Stanley's rural property in an SUV on Aug. 9, 2016.

An altercation occurred between them, Stanley, his son and his wife.

Supporters of the Boushie family rally outside the courthouse after the verdict. (Jason Warick/CBC)

What the verdict options were
The jury could have found Stanley guilty of second-degree murder or manslaughter, or not guilty, according to Chief Justice Martel Popescul, who oversaw the trial.

"What this trial comes down to is whether Gerry acted reasonably," Stanley's lawyer, Scott Spencer, told the jury.

"It's a tragedy, but it's not criminal. You must acquit."​

Gerald Stanley testified in his own defence during the trial
The judge advised jurors on how to navigate the contradictions in testimony
Senior Crown prosecutor Bill Burge told the jury that Stanley lied about some of the events leading up to the shooting, including that the gun went off accidentally.

"[The trigger] was pulled intentionally. I'm suggesting that's murder," Burge said.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:07:47 PM by Sap1 »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2018, 01:28:50 PM »
People are people, regardless of culture.  I bet today, that there are independent thinkers within both the native and the white communities.

There could well be some natives and metis who shake their heads and wonder why these young people were drinking, driving, and being on private property.  The flat tire reason, did not hold up.

And hopefully warn their own youth to stay away from the farmers land.

Meanwhile, there will be townsfolk, who will wonder if Mr. Stanley pulled the trigger intentionally, or is it possible that it went off accidentally?  This will be talked and debated by townsfolk and natives for years to come.   Mr. Stanley will have to carry that with him.

jb
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:32:05 PM by jellybean »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 02:24:34 PM »
I'm sure there are many independent thinkers, JB. How Colten died is very tragic and violent and that is a picture that is extremely difficult for family and friends, and emotions running high is understandable.
One of the young people who was in the car stated how terrified he was and how that all changed him to be a better person ... the name is Cassidy Cross. 

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 02:26:21 PM »
why did Stanley use a pistol?

jb

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 03:51:48 PM »
I would say that Mr. Stanley had a weapon close at hand for his own protection at any time. If things are like you say they are in that area, I guess the weapon was in an area he could get it quickly.  I absolutely do not believe that Mr. Stanley meant to kill Colten Boushie. I just cannot imagine him as a family man, pointing the gun and pulling the trigger as to premeditate the death. I believe things happened very quickly and that the jury got the verdict right. I believe people should take a big step back and realize what can happen when you go to another person's property and plan on committing an offence. The fact is, nobody really has told the truth of why they were there. But I still do not believe Mr. Stanley had plans to kill anybody. I think he was in fear of the family's safety and it happened exactly as he said. Trudeau is speaking for all Canadians and say they are all angry at the outcome of the trial. Well he is not right in his comments, he should not make a statement like that.  A jury sat in on the trial and made the decision and Trudeau should have explained his comments. In this case it is all a very gray area.  I am so sorry for the Boushie family and I am also very sorry for the Stanley family. Again, praying for peace in the community in the future days ahead. I also believe that Mr. Stanley is as upset and torn by what happened as any other person.  :o :o :o :o :o

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 04:45:00 PM »
I also do not want Trudeau speaking for me especially because of the repercussions and fall out those very words can have. What does that do for the jury people? I would not want to be a jury member in that trial mainly because there is a possibility they could be targeted with harm because it may seem to some people the jury are prejudiced. Trudeau has no damn right to speak for all of us and I do not want to feel we are to blame for their injuries in case that would happen.

I was thinking about jury selection and we all know that usually a large number of people are selected from which a small number are chosen according to how they answer certain questions. If there is any indication they are already well informed and have made a choice as to guilt or not, they may not be chosen as a juror. Possibly that is why no aboriginal jurors were chosen?

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 05:00:40 PM »
First article on this page link is for everyone who is hurting in some way over this tragedy in Saskatchewan. The author is a very strong person and has managed to transcend tragedy.

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=5473.0

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 05:31:11 PM »
SAP1, there was an actual discussion on TV today related to native persons being selected for jury duty... We will possibly see this discussed at a later date.   I also do not want Trudeau mentioning anything such as speaking for all Canadians.  The jury has spoken in this case and they should not be spoken about negatively in any way.  We were not at the trial. We did not hear the evidence. I am sure that the evidence was presented in such a way that the jury made their decision based on the presentation of the solicitors and the Crown. :o :o :o :o :o 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 05:40:55 PM by capeheart »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 07:07:09 PM »
sap1.
I was thinking about jury selection and we all know that usually a large number of people are selected from which a small number are chosen according to how they answer certain questions. If there is any indication they are already well informed and have made a choice as to guilt or not, they may not be chosen as a juror. Possibly that is why no aboriginal jurors were chosen?

I wondered about that as well.  I wonder how many were turned away and the reasons.
I wonder how many whites were turned away, and the reasons.

I do know that the defendant has a say in the jury selection, and I do know that a reason is not necessary.... one can go by the looks of a potential juror.   A gut feeling that the defendant would have about a potential juror.

I do believe the jury studied all of the evidence in a very somber manner and I hope there is no backlash to the jurors.  I do wonder why Mr. Stanley was not found guilty of careless use of a firearm, or some such thing. No doubt the jury had to tackle the basic question foremost, and anything else was secondary?  Not sure if the jury were given that option when a decision was made.

\
The young people had been drinking during the day and some of them said they were drunk, according to the statements they gave police. They were riding in Ms. Wuttunee's grey 2003 Ford Escape. At about 5:30 pm they arrived at the Stanley farm, after, according to the document, visiting a neighbouring farm belonging to the Fouhy family, where they "attempted to steal vehicles and items," the ITO says.

I agree with you about Trudeau. He disappointed me.  He was going on the side of numbers who were displeased with the verdict. Versus one family and 12 jurors.  He should not have taken sides.
Smooth talk to smooth things over is next on the government's agenda

jb

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 09:24:50 PM by jellybean »