Author Topic: The life and death of Colten Boushie  (Read 8625 times)

2soccermom

• View Profile
Re: The life and death of Colten Boushie
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2018, 02:30:01 PM »
I wholly believe race was a factor in the incident, the judgment, media reporting and popular opinion. There is overwhelming structural injustice against Indigenous peoples across Turtle Island and the provincial and federal governments have shameful records of violence. The Tina Fontaine case is a heartbreaking example of this in terms of government policy to place Indigenous children -- MINORS -- on their own in HOTELS as a "child and family services" practice. How could this ever be ok? You have to look at which kids get this treatment and consider how these minors are implicitly deemed "expendible" populations. Further, long histories of environmental racism by governments, industries, and alliances of both demonstrate WHICH communities are located beside toxic dump sites, sewage systems, and more; health care is also differentially experienced by Indigenous peoples, and I won't even bother to get started on the Indian Act.....
Canada ranks high on the global "happiness list" but it bombs, as the UN acknowledges, in its treatment of Indigenous peoples. It's devastating once yo actually learn/know what is ACTUALLY going on. The problem is that the general population in Canada is carefully and strategically taught NOT to know these things, and are left with calculated stereotypes and fear....
I think what people REALLY need to remember in the Colton Boushie case is that a young man was shot in the head at POINT BLANK range while seated in his vehicle. AND that the case was decided by an all-white jury. The latter point speaks most pointedly to the INjustice system in Canada. In other circumstances, one might at the least expect a verdict of manslaughter, since CB was NOT armed (the rifle was not operable and certainly more importantly NOT visible to GS) and GS has testified he did NOT mean to shoot. IF one opted to believe his version of events that sounds a LOT like manslaughter.
The structural inequalities that are legal, economic, political and cultural do not simply "trickle down" to interpersonal relations; they shape and frame and PRODUCE, in effect, how we understand humanity and who we consider "grieveable."  I remain shocked by this case and yet concomitantly UNsurprised. Things are breaking in our country and my heart goes out to Indigenous nations here who bear the brunt of structural violence. There has been no justice for Colton, his family, community, or Indigenous peoples more broadly. As someone of settler origin I am not proud in this to be Canadian.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2018, 03:08:30 PM »
My heart always has been broken with the conditions of our Indigenous People.

I am in favor and passionate about supporting life changes.

I agree that manslaughter charges should have been given.

I do not agree that it is okay to go onto other peoples property, attempt to steal a vehicle, hit another vehicle, etc.

Did CB deserve to die for this?  Absolutely not. 

Do I strongly feel that Aboriginals should be on juries?
Always should be included.

I am not ashamed of being Canadian.  There is room for improvement, and we are making an attempt to listen, learn and work towards change.  However, change is a two way street.

These young adults had just left a farm previously that day causing hell, and angst with that farmer. Then they continued on to the Stanley's.

That was the take off point with me.... and I was unaware at the time that he was native. If I had of known, should I have looked at the situation differently?  No. I looked at this tragic event in a contained manner, it was a stand alone tragedy that never should have happened.  I was stunned. This could have been anyone's son.  Yours, mine, anyone's.  When looking at it, I left out the native issue. Both sides were in the wrong. Mr, Stanley had no business bringing a hand gun.  No excuses. The kids had no business being there.

White raiders have been shot at as well, in that hot bed of raids and thefts. 
So far, none of them have been killed, and they are lucky.

The payment of death due to trespassing, is wrong, A horrible price to pay and many of us feel that Stanley should have received some form of punishment. However, due to sloppy investigation, and the kids not being honest to the cops or the courts, it did not help the situation when it came time for the jury to come up with a verdict. The clarity of beyond reasonable doubt was simply not there.  And that is not white talk here, I believe the jury would have had the same verdict regardless of the color of the victim.

This incident arose because of the very concern that farmers had and have been complaining about for some time. It was plastered all over the media, and talked about in that area for months prior to this incident.

The main issue is that these farmers felt that they had to arm themselves, due to break ins, thefts of valuable equipment, livestock etc.
I do not agree with it, but support from  the law was not there and vigilante mind sets prevailed.  Protect themselves. The law is not on their side. The law is never on their side.  Nor should it be except in severe circumstances, and these circumstances were not severe. imo

It was well known by raiders that farmers would be armed and on the look out as they had enough.The message should be loud and clear..... do not tresspass unless you have permission to do so.

Can anyone tell me, that these kids do not bear any responsibility for this very tragic event? I say that they do bear some of it, and they should.

Not once has the family, nor supporting groups ever suggested that these young people should not have gone to that property, nor the previous property, not lie to the police, and to the courts.

It is time that both sides  grow up. Every where we look, we can find a case of miscarriage of justice in all of our courts covering all cultures.

It is time that others respect owners rights of land and their belongings.
IT IS TIME THAT FARMERS PUT THEIR GUNS AWAY.

On this thread there are examples, of real horrendous miscarriage of justice of natives, and their treatment. And to each and every judge, cop, or person who have mistreated them must bear the blame, not the whole white population.   Shame on them.
For anyone's satisfaction, Mr. Stanley is paying a hefty price for that day, albeit he is not in jail.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now there is a law enforcement response. Too late for one farmer, and his victim.

The province has announced the creation of a new Protection and Response Team to help fight crime in rural Saskatchewan.

The team will consist of 258 armed officers with arrest and detention powers, including:

120 police officers from RCMP and municipal police services
60 police positions currently deployed to the Combined Traffic Services Saskatchewan Initiative
30 new police positions and 30 repurposed police positions currently funded by the Ministry of Justice

In addition, 40 highway commercial vehicle enforcement officers will be armed and, along with conservation officers who already carry guns, will be able to respond to calls and make arrests.

That means conservation officers could be called to break and enters if they were closer to the scene than the RCMP.

jb
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:02:37 PM by jellybean »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2018, 02:16:00 PM »
It is always much easier to blame others than have self reflection because with self reflection one would need to change themselves. Yes, the social system in Manitoba failed Tina but how much can an agency do when there is no co-operation? Tina ran away several times from her great aunt who cared for her and was good to her and a younger sister. She turned to child services for help. Tina ran away from foster homes as well. We don't know the whole story there why child services would put a teen into a hotel/motel. Perhaps the foster homes could not deal with a runaway all the time and felt Tina was detrimental to the children already there. What does one do when a child does not want to listen to authority? Tina wanted to be with her aunt and cousin who apparently operated a business in their house, where all types of males came back and forth.

With Colten Boushie, I don't know if race played a part as I wasn't there, nor do I know the persons involved. Reading around on the Net regarding criminal behavior in the area it seems to show that this type of entertainment happens a lot ... that is, drinking and stealing from others people's property. Often uncles and other older relatives did the same. Who is teaching these young kids as they are growing? I saw a sign that Colten's mom made for a demonstration and it said: Colten was murdered on Indigenous land. That says it all imo. Think about it!
Yes, very unfortunate that Colten was shot in the head and it saddens me deeply. But he and the others did have choices and that particular day they made some very bad and lethal choices. It is not okay either to go steal from farmers who worked hard for what they have and have paid for the land their farms sit on. When parents turn a blind eye and think it is ok to steal from others and don't educate their kids any different, they are a part of the problem. In the past few days, another farmer near Debden was robbed of a truck. Thieves aged 20 to 28 from 2 different FN were involved. Apparently the farmer also shot in the air that night, but didn't injure anyone. I have been victimized twice with robberies. Once when I lived on a farm and the second time in the city. For all of those who think it is absolutely nothing to get robbed because there is always insurance etc etc, you really need to feel robbery on yourselves and where you live. You have absolutely no idea how violated and afraid one feels!!!!! I really do not know how the farmers even sleep at night!

As regards to an all white jury: 750 people were called for jury selection in the Colten Boushie murder and this is the first case such a large number were called. 200 showed up. Of those 200 there were 5 Indigenous people who were challenged by the lawyers and Judge. Character and prior criminal activity play a role in the selection. Need I explain more? I would not have felt safe being a juror on this case after reading comments made by several people from the area. But I do know that I would have been a hold out with the jury deliberations because of reasonable doubt. When only 5 Indigenous people show up from a total call of 750 people, what does that say? Don't show up but complain later when it is too late? It is time for real honesty from all sides. Don't shake your eagle feathers at me unless you are perfect yourself!!

As far as what the UN says, I really wish they would delve deeper and see that in the majority of FN reserves, the Chief and Council live quite well and "high on the hog" with expansive expense accounts for themselves, leaving next to nothing for the tribal members whose houses are what would be demolished elsewhere. The Indigenous leaders are abusing their own in the worst possible way and there are many many examples across Canada. Atawapiscat is a great example as it was under ex-chief Theresa Spence. Then these people turn around and blame the white government. I worked in healthcare many years, so I am well aware of the care the Indigenous people get in hospitals and I worked several in the north, so I saw with my own eyes. They were treated very well. I've been around the block and no one fools me.

A few nights ago I spent hours talking with a wonderful lady in southern Saskatchewan. She happens to be a metis elder. She told me how she was shunned by her own people because she does not fall for the lies and stories by her own people. I imagine William Wuttunee (lawyer who passed a few years ago) felt the same as this lady does. In my studies I sat in on a class by a FN psychologist who told us the reason he went into Psychology was to help his own people and he found out harshley they did not want his help because he was schooled by whiteman. These kinds of attitudes will never pave a way to unitedness of cultures. No matter how many inquires there are. So many are only interested in blaming the whites, settlers. People of all colors are getting fed up now and this is causing more of a rift.
Last year I got into the 150 celebration reconciliation locally because I cared. I went to Powwows and other avenues of learning, including language but now that I realize how much hate there is and we are thrown into the pot with early explorers, I gave up. Why the hell should I carry on with hateful people???!!! My people did not kill any Indigenous nor drove anyone near extinction!! Yet I am left feeling that is how I am regarded.
My heritage is not pure ... I have Native American, African as well as German and Slavic.
If anyone cares to read up on the first people  coming to this land were various Indigenous peoples. The Indigenous were not alway here. Indigenous were the first explorers. You can also find articles on what life in the world would have been had no white settlers ever come to this land called Canada. Very interesting theories.
As I said before, people have a choice and how life plays out for all is due to choices. There are many many Indigenous who persevered and did well.