Author Topic: MMIW Inquiry 20160803  (Read 9613 times)

Sap1

• View Profile
Re: MMIW Inquiry 20160803
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2016, 12:36:57 PM »
So there may be another inquiry following this present inquiry? To not confuse the issues, missing and murdered aboriginal males will not be done along with this inquiry so as not to confuse the separate issues. One thing they all specify as the root problem being early colonialization. We all know it already so now is the time to do something about the fall-out. Re-education? Or send us all back to Europe and totally return this country to its' pre-industrial state?

I, for one, would have been happier had my parents decided to stay in Europe.

The bottom line about "blaming" the foreigners is that violence will continue and racism will even get worse with all the feelings this provokes. The only way to stop the violence is ACCOUNTABILITY for one's own actions. There are many that rose above the hardships of residential schools.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/national-inquiry-should-not-study-violence-against-aboriginal-men-experts/article28498467/
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 08:57:21 AM by Sap1 »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2017, 04:26:43 PM »
W5 ran a segment that was rather shocking this past week. Ths was some time ago so it must be a W5 rerun.

Any aboriginals who had claims towards the Inquiry needed to have a lawyer and some of those lawyers were very good liars. It happened in Calgary and also down east Toronto I believe. The lawyers were signing people up like hoards, taking their money and promising financial returns. One man had to wait several months and when his money came, the lawyers had already taken a chunk of 41,000. dollars from just one man after he had already paid a retainer. Hundreds of other claimants saw nothing and there is no trail of their paperwork. Their money is also gone. The lawyer was tracked and so far has returned with that he has done nothing wrong. Huh? I believe it is all still under investigation by the college but by the time they finish, the lawyer could be already out of reach on some Island in Bahamas.

Lawyer was disbarred and there is still a class action lawsuit on-going:

http://www.canadianlawyermag.com/legalfeeds/2141/calgary-lawyer-being-sued-by-residential-school-survivors-disbarred.html
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 04:43:31 PM by Sap1 »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2017, 07:24:57 PM »
We all care deeply regarding the missing and murdered and that is why we talk about safety and not going the route of risky behavior. Why are so many girls still hitchhiking these days when there are so many who have gone missing doing that very thing.

Another beautiful soul missing while hitch hiking from Toronto to NS. If she is not found safe or found at all, she becomes a statistic number.

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=7965.msg123423;topicseen#msg123423

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2017, 06:25:49 PM »
She has been found safe, there is a thread on here for her and I just read it. A risky way to get back to Cape Breton, but she made it. Glad she is safe. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 01:35:10 AM »
A true trailblazer who let nothing stop him, not even the horrid residential schools. A fair and square lawyer in his day.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/remembering-bill-wuttunee-1.3300662

William (Bill) Wuttunee was a man before his time. He died Fri. Oct. 30, leaving a trail that was both controversial and prescient.

Wuttunee was born May 8, 1928 on the Red Pheasant First Nation, located south of North Battleford, Sask. The reserve had a day school for the earlier grades but he had to attend residential school in Onion Lake to complete his high school.

He graduated from the University of Saskatchewan in 1954, becoming Western Canada's first status Indian lawyer at a time when most reserves had no electricity, people lived in log homes and horses were the chief means of transportation. His people were beginning a period of rapid change that would be for both better and worse.

Wuttunee was a family friend ? our families are related, although distantly. He and my dad were contemporaries who worked together to lay the foundation for the modern Federation of Saskatchewan Indians. In 1956 the leaders gathered in Fort Qu'Appelle and developed the constitution and bylaws for the federation.

Later he would work on the national level and assist in the creation of the Native Council of Canada, which evolved into the Congress of Aboriginal Peoples.

In the early 1960s he decided to concentrate on his law career and he set up a law office in Calgary. For years he practised law, later setting up a branch office in Yellowknife.

I recall the Sarcee band owed a company money and Wuttunee sued Sarcee on behalf of that company. It was considered an act of betrayal at the time. But he showed that everyone had to pay their bills and First Nations couldn't hide behind the Indian Act.

Wuttunee was also a bit of a free thinker and he publicly disagreed with the Indian Association of Alberta, in particular the organization's leader, Harold Cardinal. He felt that too much emphasis was being placed on the treaties and not enough on individual initiative.

Ruffled Feathers, William Wuttunee
William Wuttunee was a strong proponent of integration. It was the topic of his book, Ruffled Feathers, published in 1971. (Bell Books)

He was a strong proponent of integration. It was the topic of his book, Ruffled Feathers, published in 1971. It was met with scorn and derision by First Nations leaders at the time.

In retrospect, differing points of view are needed for the creation of democratic First Nations communities. His book, though now largely forgotten, was a model for other writers who would speak their mind and be critical of their people.

Gradually he reunited with his people and became accepted by the younger generation. When the first group of aboriginal lawyers set up the indigenous bar association he was invited to join.

Later, when the Truth and Reconciliation Commission was set up, he played the role of elder advisor and was one of the architects of the process.

He told his story of his days at residential school and the brutality and pain that many students suffered. He spoke of experiences that he had previously not shared with his family.

By now his life had come full circle. He was respected for his work and acknowledged as a trailblazer. And he had seen the members of his profession grow to a community of over 2,000 indigenous lawyers.

Bill Wuttunee died last Friday, at age 87, and began his next journey.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 12:57:52 PM »
It just seems recently that there are a lot of inquiries into the missing persons and the MMIW Inquiry. There are thousands of people missing in Canada, not just indigenous persons. We feel sorry for the famlies of those who have gone missing, but sometimes it is because of a life style and risks they take in certain activities and that goes with whatever gender you happen to be. I am kind of tired of hearing about hearing the word
"discrimination". Just yesterday here in Nova Scotia there was a young woman of Muslim faith who was very disenchanted because a hotel in Halifax could not prepare a meal she was wanting at her reception.  She cried the word "discrimination" and said it on national TV. I was very angry by her comments. That catering at the hotel could not prepare a meal of her wishes and was very angry. She even wanted to have another caterer brought in, of course the hotel refused. Then she was angry because it would cost her more money to have the function elsewhere for 200 people. Well lady, that is not our problem. If you don't like it here in Canada, go back to your homeland and have your wedding feast. The gall of her coming on TV and crying discrimination. I was so angry that I could have strangled her if she was in front of my office and making plans for a wedding reception. If any of us went over to Egypt or somewhere and said, oh, we'd like to have a boiled dinner, with cabbage and salt meat and the whole deal, I wonder what they'd tell us. Or if we wanted fish cakes and bologna or home made baked beans with molasses and I guess we'd get the boot pretty quick.  When people blame others for the trivia crap they go on with, it's disgusting. Canadians have opened their hearts to many immigrants that came over recently and year after year. They have spent millions of our tax payers dollars to feed, cloth and house others. They have come here and were made citizens. They were given Child Credit cheques for their children. They were given Old Age Security cheques and not only that, they were given settlement cheques of a great deal of money, that was not disclosed to Canadians before they came over here. We don't have much say in it, if Trudeau is spending the money, we just have to say okay. So the next election, that will be how we turn him off.

Now just another note on the ongoing discussion related to the recent tragedy in Saskatchewan.  We all feel bad that a young person lost his life. We try to look at both sides of the story and put ourselves in the position of the property owner. It is a situation that turned out badly.  I just want to add that these young people had a choice that day and it was a bad one.  I also want to add that every one of these young people have an opportunity to get an education, there is all kinds of funding for native youth to go to college, be anything they want, to get an education and get a trade.  Right next door to me is a friend that lives with my neighbor. His ex is a native. He has a daughter and she is of native status.  This young lady, a very sweet person and I really like her, she is going to Social Work College in another town.  She is getting $800.00 a month towards her rent; $350.00 every two weeks for expenses; she has her own car and is talking about getting a new one.  She is only 21 years old and is making something for her future.  She was not a lazy person and neither was her sister, they worked at a B&B all summer before they went to take a course.  They also did other jobs like working in a store.  That is just all I am saying, there are great opportunities, they are there and they must start taking advantage of the things that are available to make a better life.

To make a long story short, STOP BLAMING EVERYONE ELSE FOR YOUR FAILURES. THAT INCLUDES ANY PERSON IN CANADA, IMMIGRANTS WHO HAVE COME HERE, ORDINARY PEOPLE, WE ARE ALL ORDINARY PEOPLE, NO MATTER WHAT COLOR WE ARE, WHAT JOB WE DO, WHAT WAY WE EAT OUR FOOD, WE ARE ALL IN IT TOGETHER. HAVE COMPASSION FOR OTHERS AND STOP BLAMING THE WHITE MAN FOR EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS.  AMEN.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 12:44:51 PM by capeheart »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 02:20:20 PM »
I hear you Cape and I feel the same way!
Some years ago a new policy was adopted in Alberta ... "indigenous first". Especially in the north, and some colleges in the city as well. There is a lot of help out there compliments of the people who supposedly stole the land. Many are making the best of it as well. I don't know if that exists in other provinces but as you said, your neighbors are taking advantage of it and kudos to them.

I posted the article on William to show that he was also an abused child of the residential school system and how he persevered and pushed on and became what he was. That kind of greatness is available to all indigenous people. He didn't cry about the past but endeavored to make the future better. 

jtmtpleasant

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2018, 10:48:01 AM »
A true trailblazer who let nothing stop him, not even the horrid residential schools. A fair and square lawyer in his day.

William (Bill) Wuttunee was a man before his time. He died Fri. Oct. 30, leaving a trail that was both controversial and prescient.

Wuttunee was born May 8, 1928 on the Red Pheasant First Nation, located south of North Battleford, Sask. The reserve had a day school for the earlier grades but he had to attend residential school in Onion Lake to complete his high school.

He graduated from the University of Saskatchewan in 1954, becoming Western Canada's first status Indian lawyer at a time when most reserves had no electricity, people lived in log homes and horses were the chief means of transportation. His people were beginning a period of rapid change that would be for both better and worse.

Wuttunee was a family friend ? our families are related, although distantly. He and my dad were contemporaries who worked together to lay the foundation for the modern Federation of Saskatchewan Indians. In 1956 the leaders gathered in Fort Qu'Appelle and developed the constitution and bylaws for the federation.

Later he would work on the national level and assist in the creation of the Native Council of Canada, which evolved into the Congress of Aboriginal Peoples.

In the early 1960s he decided to concentrate on his law career and he set up a law office in Calgary. For years he practised law, later setting up a branch office in Yellowknife.

I recall the Sarcee band owed a company money and Wuttunee sued Sarcee on behalf of that company. It was considered an act of betrayal at the time. But he showed that everyone had to pay their bills and First Nations couldn't hide behind the Indian Act.

Wuttunee was also a bit of a free thinker and he publicly disagreed with the Indian Association of Alberta, in particular the organization's leader, Harold Cardinal. He felt that too much emphasis was being placed on the treaties and not enough on individual initiative.

William Wuttunee was a strong proponent of integration. It was the topic of his book, Ruffled Feathers, published in 1971. (Bell Books)

He was a strong proponent of integration. It was the topic of his book, Ruffled Feathers, published in 1971. It was met with scorn and derision by First Nations leaders at the time.

In retrospect, differing points of view are needed for the creation of democratic First Nations communities. His book, though now largely forgotten, was a model for other writers who would speak their mind and be critical of their people.

Gradually he reunited with his people and became accepted by the younger generation. When the first group of aboriginal lawyers set up the indigenous bar association he was invited to join.

Later, when the Truth and Reconciliation Commission was set up, he played the role of elder advisor and was one of the architects of the process.

He told his story of his days at residential school and the brutality and pain that many students suffered. He spoke of experiences that he had previously not shared with his family.

By now his life had come full circle. He was respected for his work and acknowledged as a trailblazer. And he had seen the members of his profession grow to a community of over 2,000 indigenous lawyers.

Umm, wern't you just on the Colton Boushie thread talking shit about this man and the community he resided? Now you're on this thread calling him a trailblazer. WTF lol Maybe you need a break from being a keyboard warrior, you're starting to contradict yourself.

jtmtpleasant

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2018, 10:52:36 AM »
It just seems recently that there are a lot of inquiries into the missing persons and the MMIW Inquiry. There are thousands of people missing in Canada, not just indigenous persons. We feel sorry for the famlies of those who have gone missing, but sometimes it is because of a life style and risks they take in certain activities and that goes with whatever gender you happen to be. I am kind of tired of hearing about hearing the word
"discimination". Just yesterday here in Nova Scotia there was a young woman of Muslim faith who was very disenchanted because a hotel in Halifax could not prepare a meal she was wanting at her reception.  She cried the word "discrimination" and said it on national TV. I was very angry by her comments. That catering at the hotel could not prepare a meal of her wishes and was very angry. She even wanted to have another caterer brought in, of course the hotel refused. Then she was angry because it would cost her more money to have the function elsewhere for 200 people. Well lady, that is not our problem. If you don't like it here in Canada, go back to your homeland and have your wedding feast. The gall of her coming on TV and crying discrimination. I was so angry that I could have strangled her if she was in front of my office and making plans for a wedding reception. If any of us went over to Egypt or somewhere and said, oh, we'd like to have a boiled dinner, with cabbage and salt meat and the whole deal, I wonder what they'd tell us. Or if we wanted fish cakes and bologna or home made baked beans with molasses and I guess we'd get the boot pretty quick.  When people blame others for the trivia crap they go on with, it's disgusting. Canadians have opened their hearts to many immigrants that came over recently and year after year. They have spent millions of our tax payers dollars to feed, cloth and house others. They have come here and were made citizens. They were given Child Credit cheques for their children. They were given Old Age Security cheques and not only that, they were given settlement cheques of a great deal of money, that was not disclosed to Canadians before they came over here. We don't have much say in it, if Trudeau is spending the money, we just have to say okay. So the next election, that will be how we turn him off.

Now just another note on the ongoing discussion related to the recent tragedy in Saskatchewan.  We all feel bad that a young person lost his life. We try to look at both sides of the story and put ourselves in the position of the property owner. It is a situation that turned out badly.  I just want to add that these young people had a choice that day and it was a bad one.  I also want to add that every one of these young people have an opportunity to get an education, there is all kinds of funding for native youth to go to college, be anything they want, to get an education and get a trade.  Right next door to me is a friend that lives with my neighbor. His ex is a native. He has a daughter and she is of native status.  This young lady, a very sweet person and I really like her, she is going to Social Work College in another town.  She is getting $800.00 a month towards her rent; $350.00 every two weeks for expenses; she has her own car and is talking about getting a new one.  She is only 21 years old and is making something for her future.  She was not a lazy person and neither was her sister, they worked at a B&B all summer before they went to take a course.  They also did other jobs like working in a store.  That is just all I am saying, there are great opportunities, they are there and they must start taking advantage of the things that are available to make a better life.

To make a long story short, STOP BLAMING EVERYONE ELSE FOR YOUR FAILURES. THAT INCLUDES ANY PERSON IN CANADA, IMMIGRANTS WHO HAVE COME HERE, ORDINARY PEOPLE, WE ARE ALL ORDINARY PEOPLE, NO MATTER WHAT COLOR WE ARE, WHAT JOB WE DO, WHAT WAY WE EAT OUR FOOD, WE ARE ALL IN IT TOGETHER. HAVE COMPASSION FOR OTHERS AND STOP BLAMING THE WHITE MAN FOR EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS.  AMEN.

White privilege at it's finest. Must be nice to live your life on stolen line, ignorant as all heck.

The only one who made a bad choice was the WHITE man who shot a young man's head off.

The fact is, WHITE people stole this land. WHITE people continue to rape and murder Indigenous women and men. WHITE people continue to live in a dream world with their heads up their asses, completely arrogant and ignorant to the fact that THEY are the reasons why Indigenous people are being murdered and going missing.

And maybe we need to have inquiry after inquiry after inquiry until the truth about WHITE people is finally told.

And thanks to your tax dollars, that just might happen. So keep working your assess off to pay for our inquiries.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2018, 12:30:44 PM »

Umm, wern't you just on the Colton Boushie thread talking shit about this man and the community he resided? Now you're on this thread calling him a trailblazer. WTF lol Maybe you need a break from being a keyboard warrior, you're starting to contradict yourself.

I am not contradicting myself! I have no idea what got to you but you need to stop with your knee jerking responses. I really thought you were above that, especially with your Phd behind you.
We can discuss but not anything indigenous, is that what you are saying.

He is a trailblazer that not many seem to have followed, unfortunately. Yes, his name is associated with some that do not have the best of reputations. I will call out the differences, just as I do with WHITE people.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2018, 12:46:23 PM »
Quote jtmtpleasant:

White privilege at it's finest. Must be nice to live your life on stolen line, ignorant as all heck.

The only one who made a bad choice was the WHITE man who shot a young man's head off.

The fact is, WHITE people stole this land. WHITE people continue to rape and murder Indigenous women and men. WHITE people continue to live in a dream world with their heads up their asses, completely arrogant and ignorant to the fact that THEY are the reasons why Indigenous people are being murdered and going missing.

And maybe we need to have inquiry after inquiry after inquiry until the truth about WHITE people is finally told.

And thanks to your tax dollars, that just might happen. So keep working your assess off to pay for our inquiries.

If not a white man had entered Canada, where would you all be now. Would you have your Phd.

Yes there are whites who beat, rape and murder indigenous however stats show that much of the crime against indigenous females is by their own.

White people live in a dream world with our heads up our asses you say. That is mighty fine language from a person who is degreed. Wow. Commendable.

My family at least will not forever work our asses off to pay for inquiries as there are other places in the world, safer than Saskatchewan for sure, and my grown kids are starting the plan to move.

It would be ideal if all non indigenous people left Canada, and demolished all that has been built by the bad white people, take all our money, including white man government money.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2018, 01:15:29 PM »
I will continue to speak my mind. Amen to this author.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/ujjal-dosanjh/white-men-political-correctness_b_8911986.html

Sadly, political correctness afflicts much of the world; in particular the Western world. At its inception in the counterculture of the sixties and beyond, it was a force for good. It moved us to examine our hatreds, prejudices, values and words.

It reminded the British and the French that their prosperity had been driven and depended partly on the plunder of their colonies. It brought home to the Americans that their reach in the world wasn't always benevolent; sometimes it was born out of their economic dominance of the world and exploitation of the resources and peoples of the world.

The U.S. blacks and the counterculture made the world pivot towards a fairer, more just and compassionate understanding of the inequality and unfairness in the world. The world began to understand gender equality, freedom for gays and lesbians to be themselves, the ugly reality of racism in the world and how North America had oppressed and marginalized the indigenous peoples and the rampant unfairness in international relations.

That extremely timely and necessary overhaul of our approach toward others made us change our language, expressions and how we addressed and viewed people who were different, and possibly weaker and poorer than us. Minorities became bolder. Equality became the buzzword underpinned by longing for social justice.

In Canada that hunger for social justice and equality manifested itself in Trudeau's just society, the egalitarian foundations of which found themselves enshrined in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. The charter justly included a constitutional right of self-government for Canada's historically abused and exploited indigenous peoples.

Canada continues to make important strides toward more equality.

But there are storm clouds on the horizon that endanger the continuing pursuit of true equality.

What started as a legitimate change to bring about equality and transformation of how we viewed, treated and spoke about each other has now ossified into a rarely breached wall of silence, a silence reinforced by the onset of the West's indifference to its own good, bad or ugly -- but distinct -- societies, their values and norms. Call it white man's burden or guilt, a guilt for the sins of the past now manifesting itself in the white man's fear.

This fear has habituated many Western leaders in their frailty to speak the unvarnished truth about the need for the refugees and immigrants welcomed into these societies to fully integrate in them. It is not about changing one's religion or bleaching one's skin to make it paler. It is about learning the moral, ethical, social and political anchors that, in this case, Canada is rooted in.

Is Canada perfect? No. It has its own past shame of the indigenous cultural genocide, Chinese head tax, concentration camps for the Japanese-Canadians, turning away in the middle of the Second World War a ship full of Jews from the Atlantic coast and much more. But Canada has confronted many of its demons and continues the important task of reconciliation with its indigenous peoples.

But the real need for equality and social justice for all has also spawned the much despised political correctness preventing us from being honest with each other. Politicians afraid of "ethnic backlashes" revel in silence policed by the so called multiculturalists who might be more appropriately called multicults -- the practitioners of a fierce brand of exclusivist multiculturalism that ought to be renamed multicultism. Under the circumstances when politicians do speak, they utter non-sequiturs, simply bromides.

"On matters of race, religion, culture and national identity of Canada the white men are reduced to either silence or non-sequiturs."

Amongst the Western leaders Angela Merkel has been an exception. She has welcomed close to a million refugees into Germany in 2016, more generous indeed than any other Western country. At the same time she told them to integrate into German society by learning the German language and values, calling multiculturalism a sham that creates parallel societies. We can debate her position but I would caution that the parallel societies she speaks of are quite discernible in many provinces in major urban centres in Canada, too.

But out of fear many of our leaders continue in their silent bliss.

This guilt cum fear was quite evident in Premier Kathleen Wynne's broad-brush swipe at those who had sought assurances of thorough security checks on the refugees to be let into Canada. Instead of arguing we must welcome refugees but after proper security checks, her words implied that these security concerns were a mask for racism.

Such remarks stultify and intimidate honest debate. Many voices are unnecessarily compelled into silence.

A recent study by Andy Yan looked at multimillion-dollar mansions on Vancouver's West Side that are being bought with foreign money. He argued it was about recent foreign money, not race. Yan, an urban planner and adjunct professor at UBC, was hurriedly excoriated for fanning racism.

Another study of multimillion-dollar mansions on the West Side of Vancouver showed that a significant portion of owners declared incomes as low as the residents of Canada's poorest postal code --Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. The transnational migrants who buy these mansions refuse to report their global income at tax time, resulting in tax unfairness.

The question asked by the Vancouver Sun columnist Douglas Todd was who will pay taxes to support the social safety net all of us use? Not many voices from the public leadership joined that debate to ask that or similar questions. And we continue to sell Canadian citizenship to the highest bidders without debating whether doing so builds the kind of society we want.

On the other hand we continue to bring in temporary workers without a real stake in the country. They are abused and used to drive down wages for Canadians; no way to build a caring, inclusive and socially just society. But sadly we can't and don't debate the kind of society we are building out of fear for being called racists; anybody such as Andy Yan who dares to speak risks inviting our wrath.

Several years ago a report on the front page of the Vancouver Sun stated that close to a billion dollars of unaccounted and undeclared money was circulating in the construction industry in Surrey. Such massive fraud did not elicit even a peep from the usually loud public voices. It was well-known that almost all of the residential and a portion of the commercial construction was in the hands of Indo-Canadians. Complete silence reigned in the political sphere.

Fear had won again; building a better Canada lost out.

Recently there was an incident in Richmond, B.C. where a strata council executive ordained that its meetings will be conducted in Mandarin only. No English was to be allowed. At least 30 per cent of the residents of the strata in question didn't speak Mandarin. This shocking episode landed in the midst of the already hot controversy around the Chinese only signs of various commercial establishments in Richmond. The Richmond Council has failed to show any real leadership on these unnecessarily isolationist signs.

The fear of being branded racists has paralyzed the Richmond politicians.

I had been thinking about the many such instances when I read our prime minister declaring to the New York Times Magazine, "There is no core identity, no mainstream in Canada... There are shared values -- openness, respect, compassion, willingness to work hard, to be there for each other, to search for equality and justice. Those qualities are what make us the first post-national state."

On matters of race, religion, culture and national identity of Canada the white men are reduced to either silence or non-sequiturs.

Does that mean anything goes in Canada?

"Some of us have so thoroughly shamed the white men into complete submission regarding our misplaced belief that Canada has no core identity or core values."

That there is no mainstream means there are many streams. It also implies that the streams never merge and mingle; the streams live in parallel to others, isolated and apart from each other. If so, how do we build a society with high degree of social solidarity and cohesion?

How do we develop shared values that the prime minister claims we have if all the streams do not at some point merge to create the mainstream?

If Mr. Trudeau was right about the absence of Canadian core identity and mainstream, we wouldn't have any shared values.

The truth is we have a core Canadian identity. That is the reason we have the shared values that Mr Trudeau so justly and proudly speaks of.

We are not post-national -- whatever that means. But we are a country of the world. Our core identity and core values make us so. If we do not defend that core identity and the core values that define us, they will wither away. Canada will be diminished -- a tragic loss to the world that, according to Bono of U2, needs more Canadas.

It seems some of us have so thoroughly shamed the white men into complete submission regarding our misplaced belief that Canada has no core identity or core values; so much so that even our Prime Minister won't defend what was so dear to his own father -- what he had fought so hard for.

My three children and six grand children born and raised in Canada know no other country as their own. They have a great stake in a healthy, humane, socially just and prosperous Canada.

If the white men of Canada can't overcome the fear of rebuke from the enforcers of fear, Canadians can't ever have an honest debate about the state of equality, race, culture and the place and space for religion and other languages in Canada.

These are important questions that need frank debates unless we want to live in our silos, isolated from others.

Fear, shame, silence or non-sequiturs do not build great nations.

They are built by frank, fearless and honest men and women!

P.S.: Perhaps I should have anticipated the totally non-serious assertion that not all white men are silent. The silencing of most good white men has provided an opportunity for the Trumps of the world to rise. That is what happens when we suffocate or silence rational debate.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2018, 06:11:04 PM »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2018, 04:16:03 PM »
Interesting link. Indigenous people also came from somewhere else. The link is a government site so it will not disappear, therefore no copying and pasting.
I know we took this all in school, social studies, but I had forgotten most of it. Since I am interested in dna history this link now means a lot more to me since dna testing in our family. I always knew we were German and slavic but results point to so much more ... American native, African, and European. 

http://www3.sympatico.ca/goweezer/canada/can0000.htm