Author Topic: Elmer Yuill - Murdered in 1991  (Read 3007 times)

bevboy0223

• View Profile
Elmer Yuill - Murdered in 1991
« on: June 08, 2016, 10:53:18 AM »
My name is Bev Keddy. I have a true crime column for Frank Magazine. I would like to get more information about Elmer Yuill, murdered in his barn in Old Barns, outside of Truro, in 1991.

Who knows anything about this case? You can reply to this thread, or email me directly at bev@frankmagazine.ca

Thanks.

Bev

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Elmer Yuill - Murdered in 1991
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 03:56:35 PM »
http://www.canadagenweb.org/archives/ns/bbrook.txt

You might want to get in touch with the authors, and they may be able to put you in touch with the right people, who can tell you more about Elmer.
Good Luck!!/jb

History of Beaver Brook

Background on his family, and how he inherited the land.

George Yuill's share of the property was the farm now owned by his great grandson, Elmer Yuill.  George Yuill left it to his only son Isaac.  Next is was owned by Peter Yuill, one of Isaac Yuill's three sons and now Peter's son Elmer Yuill lives there, making the fifth generation of the family to continuously own this property since it was granted in 1765.

Andrew Yuill also inherited some of his father's property, probably the farm belonging to the late Smith Yuill or near there.  Jacob, the youngest son of James and Eleanor Yuill received a piece of land near the shore, probably where Allison McCurdy now lives.

Samuel Yuill's land was where Ruthven Stewart now lives and also included the lot which is now Christ Church property.  His son Hezekiah remained on this property while another son Joseph, who was a blacksmith, lived across the road.  The third son of Samuel, named James, married Catherine Dillman of Musquodoboit and located near the source of one branch of the Marshall Brook.  They had two daughters and three sons, Angus, Christopher and Dillman.

Christopher remained on his father's farm until his youngest child, now Suella Tanner, was five years old and then moved to Old Barns.  Dillman lived for a time in Green's Creek and then bought a farm from Mrs. Mattie Crowe.  He bought a house, built by Joseph Crowe, tore it down and rebuilt the frame to make a house to replace the old one on the property.  This was the home, until recently, of his son Frank Yuill and is now occupied by a grandson, Wyman Yuill and family, while Frank Yuill and his wife live in a new house on the property.

Besides the six of the seven Yuill boys who settled near the home of their parents James and Eleanor Yuill, there were many grandsons who settled nearby.  A map of 1864 shows ten Yuill Families between what are now Elmer Yuill's and Earl White's homes.  There were four other families in this area as well as a shore shop and a blacksmith shop.  There are the same number of houses in this area today although few of the originals are left and only the one is occupied by a Yuill.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:05:23 PM by jellybean »

bevboy0223

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 11:50:21 AM »
My article about Elmer appears in the current issue of Frank Magazine, issue 756.

Bev

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 09:37:43 PM »
Quoted from reply #3

He was an old man.  It was suggested by the community that perhaps it was intended for his farm hand.

Anyone who knew Elmer should have known the difference.
I wonder if someone had slept in the loft, and for whatever reason, shot Elmer to get out of there before he was discovered.

Were there any escapees from  a prison within the province at the time?
Any young offenders on the loose?

JB