Author Topic: Posting Links  (Read 2247 times)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Posting Links
« on: February 04, 2016, 11:31:05 AM »
Hi everyone,

When posting links please take the time to post the article. Things have a way of disappearing from the net after a while. If that happens then it leaves many "holes" in our threads.

Thanks,
Debbie

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Posting Links
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 02:32:35 PM »
I have a friend who wants to register, but registration is currently disabled.

Just to let you know.

Lately, I have been snipping articles, rather than putting up the whole article, but I do include the link.  Do we continue to do  this - or do we put up the whole article, or do we use our discretion if the article is very long? (to save space]
Thanks,  :)

JB
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 03:10:17 PM by jellybean »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 05:51:42 PM »
I'll take a look JB. Recently we had hundreds of spammers registering for accounts, which has changed the way registration will be handled. We will now be checking anyone who registers, in order to keep that from re-occurring.     

Your posts are fine JB. Imo it is best, when posting a very long article, to use your discretion as to how much should be posted, and always include the link. Some articles do not have a spot where it seems feasible to cut off (such as timelines). There is always the exception. I believe that some sites only allow 20% of an article to be posted. I'm not saying that is what we need to do and don't have a problem with a decently long article.

In the recent past we had many long articles being posted. Sometimes many on the same topic. We began receiving complaints about that, and in fact a few members told me that they no longer liked logging on. It's been my experience over the years (as told to me by members) that most people do not read an article if it is too long and most will not bother if the same information is being repeated in three different articles.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 06:00:58 PM »
Thanks for clarifying.  That makes a lot of sense.

jb :)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 06:08:06 PM »
YW JB :)

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 02:19:30 PM »
Am I blind or what? Was trying to find the thread on the Bruce McArthur alleged murders and in searching, the only place his name comes up is in the Kelly Cook thread. Everything else on his murders associated to him appears to be gone.

eta: Ok I see now that a poster has left and all posts he ever posted are also gone and he posted a lot on the McArthur killings. So on the  thread that included all posts and info regarding the missing Toronto men from the village which had several pages, is now back down to one page. Sigh.

eta: I think this is the thread where a hodge podge of McArthur killings and pictures/articles of the men from the gay village that has been almost totally wiped out.
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=6863.msg103143#msg103143

eta: It really does not matter to me if there is a thread on McArthur, only really at the end when he gets convicted and has to spend hundreds of years in jail. I only really care about the victims and their families.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 02:46:26 PM by Sap1 »

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 03:55:25 PM »
I believe it is under Andrew Kinsman Sap1

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 04:25:00 PM »
Thank you EWO, however I did a search on Andrew Kinsman and it brings me back to your post. :) All gone.
It's ok. I didn't really need the thread and wasn't desperate to find it as there are no updates yet anyway. I watch CBC and other news outlets as most do so updates are always on TV anyway. :)

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 09:17:09 PM »
I didn't realize that people didn't want the whole article. I started doing that years ago when people were looking back over long cases and wanting clarification on new items of relevance. At the time, only links were posted and they no longer worked. I'm guilty of posting similar articles from other sources, but only if they have a different view or new information, which I bold. I've always been a person who didn't like the snippets as they can be misconstrued sometimes without the full article or read out of context when you are really trying to make sense about details of a case. With a full article people can choose to read it in its entirety or only pieces of it. I wouldn't think it would make a person not come to the site any longer as you can always choose what you want to read and what you don't. It provided me with the way to read it for myself. I do, however, bold items in the article I think are relevant if someone merely wants to skim it.

Should I do this different from now on? I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 11:37:24 PM »
I've always thought the way you do it is fine, Concerned. I'm really talking about extremely long posts. Posting a few similar  articles from varying sources, with a different view or new information, is also fine. I've noticed that you draw attention to some of the points by bolding. Nothing wrong with that either.

Snippets are fine (but not necessary on most articles) if a link is included. Those who wish to read more can do so that way.

I wouldn't think it would make a person not come to the site any longer as you can always choose what you want to read and what you don't.

I had heard that from a few different members. It pertained to some of the posting that went on in the recent past. Some members had expressed that they had lost interest in reading here due to the amount of very long and repetitive articles being posted. More newspaper articles and not as much brainstorming and conversation makes it a less interesting place for some. Personally, I've always found your posts to be a mix of both. No need to change the way you post.