Author Topic: Erik Larsfolk - John McCormick - Missing presumed murdered - Caledon, ON - 1981  (Read 106415 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Lloyd Eric LARSFOLK

Missing Since: 24 August 1981

Missing From: Caledon, Ontario, CANADA

Details: Lloyd was last seen at 19:00 on the McCormick farm in Caledon, Ontario, Canada.

Date of Birth: 04 September 1966
Sex: Male
Hair: Blond
Eye: Blue
Height: 152 cm (Unknown)
Weight: 36 kg (Unknown)
Additional Information: Eric has a darkened front tooth and a small brown birthmark on the left side of his waist.
Alias(es): Eric

McCormick is right-handed, has freckles on his face and has a thin build. Dentals: His upper teeth are straight and the lower teeth slighty crowded. Circumstances of Disappearance Larsfolk was last seen at McCormick Farm in Caledon, Ontario Canada. Larsfolk disappeared together with John McCormick Investigators If you have any information on the whereabouts of Larsfolk, please contact: Caledon Provincial Police Department 416-584-2241 or The Royal Canadian Mounted Police 877-318-3576

Here is some additional information sent by a relative:
1.  John Jr. was never sent to hospital by John Sr.
2.  Joyce Mccormick was working the eving that John Jr. went missing
3.  There were no footprints found in the gravel pit but the search dogs had found a scent
4.  John Jr. room stayed intacted for years.
5.  John Sr. cause of death was never determined - he had several medical conditions besides alcoholism
6.  After John Sr. death I (KIM) inherited the property in 1987 and lived there for many years.
7.  The suspect who is now deceased is not John Sr.
8.  There had been no open holes on the property. The inground pool had been installed at least six years previous to the boys disappearance.

John Jr. was very much loved by his family and is sadly missed. He is still very much alive in our thoughts and prayers.
We have worked with the police and many other outside sources to try and find the boys. We will not give up helping in the search for them.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 05:03:39 PM by Chris »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Des, I actually remember spring break of 1981. We were living near Stony Plain and we had a week off. I remember it mainly because that was around the time Ronald Regean was shot and this was not long after John Lennon was shot and I remember being so terrified that everyone was getting shot.

So yes, spring breaks were common in 1981 in Alberta.

And yes, After NEP (national energy program) that shut down the oil fields in Alberta, people had no choice but to move or work in Montana, Texas and North Dakota.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
No idea about that, but I think that was probably the case. They tended to coincide Easter with Spring break when I was in school.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
I agree, they should make an effort to check those properties he owned

Dott

• View Profile

The following is from a longer article about the DOE Network and their quest to resolve unresolved cases;

"Eric Larsfolk's family had just moved from Fort Erie into a Caledon-area
farmhouse that summer of 1981. The Larsfolks had lost their greenhouse
business and they were all looking forward to starting over.

There even seemed to be a good omen when Eric, 14, won a bicycle at the
local Dairy Queen. "We took a picture of him outside the store that day,"
recalls his father Lloyd in the living room of his Brampton home. "That was
the last picture we had of him."

He recounts the horror in a weary, hollow voice. In mid-August, their
neighbour's son arrived home after weeks in Virginia. Both about the same
age, Eric became fast friends with John McCormick and the two could often be
found on the McCormicks' sprawling 150-acre property, playing around the
gravel pit or riding in John's old Chevy.

So Larsfolk didn't think twice when his youngest son told him and his wife
Beverley that he was heading over to the McCormicks' after dinner that Aug.
He didn't know that he would never see his son again.

But then there was much he didn't know. He had no idea that John McCormick
Sr. was an alcoholic or that he had beaten his son so badly that it had sent
him to hospital. It was after his discharge that John Jr. had been sent to
the States to visit relatives.

The boy had only been back home for 10 days.

It was after 11 p.m. when a frantic Joyce McCormick arrived at the
Larsfolks' door looking for her son, John. When she learned that the boys
were supposedly together at her house -- she had been out that evening --
the search began.

"John (Sr.) was drunk at the time and he said he hadn't seen the boys,"
Larsfolk says. But Eric's bike was outside their house.

John McCormick Sr. joined in the search that night -- but that would be the
last time he would help out. He would never make a public appeal for his son
or speak to reporters.

They found the boys' footprints in the gravel pit on the McCormick property,
but they stopped at the fence.

"That was the last indication of the two boys," says Larsfolk, 71. "We
turned the world upside down to find them."

They did grid searches of the bush, dragged all the ponds, hunted in every
barn and every well. Long after they had moved away, Larsfolk would return
and search some more.

He could not let go. He still can't, even after all this time. The
McCormicks, though, packed up John's room a few days after he went missing.

John Sr. died of cirrhosis of the liver on Oct. 15, 1987.

The OPP say their prime suspect is dead, but they will say little more.

After McCormick's death, his widow sold the property and moved away. She has
never spoken publicly about her son's disappearance except to tell the local
paper, "I just want to let it go."

Psychics have repeatedly told the Larsfolks that the boys are dead and
buried near Caledon.

On May 13, 2000, the OPP searched a horse barn on the McCormick property.
Using new ground penetrating technology, they were able to investigate
whether there had been anything buried under the concrete floor. Again,
nothing.

Beverley Larsfolk died of breast cancer on May 23, 2000 without ever
learning her son's fate.

"I wonder if she's talked to Eric," her husband says softly. "I wish she'd
tell me if she has."
------------------------------------

Very sad. It sound like the police know who was responsible but were not able to prove it before the suspect died. :(

***edited to remove name

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:01:22 PM by debbiec »

mauvelilac

DOTT: Thanx so much for that update. Explains a lot. Those two dear boys didn't stand a chance. My own father was an alcoholic. Though he is long dead, every time I hear of a beating of some young child, I remember my own and the scars that are left from them.
I only wish they could have found the remains for the other families sake. Anyone with a missing loved one will tell you, it's the not knowing that eats at you.

braveheart

• View Profile
This is the map of where the girls were found or went missing from . Notice how close they are to each other and how out of the way this area is.

braveheart

• View Profile

There was only a two hour window of opportunity where the suspect that has been noted in this case could have canceled the two bodies. This is from when farm workers saw the boys, left the farm and from when a parent went to the home to look for them. The person who has been so far noted as the suspect was said to have been very drunk. I find it difficult to believe that a drunk person, in that short period of time could have so successfully  killed and hidden two boys.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:06:08 PM by braveheart »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile

Excellent information braveheart. Thanks for posting all the maps. I certainly think that they should look at the area where the hole was dug for the pool as well. It seems funny that the hole was filled in and abandoned after the boys went missing.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Wow! That is interesting for sure. I am surprised that pool has not been dug up yet.

braveheart

• View Profile
So am I. I am getting ready to dig it up myself if I have too. It should be checked. The house is located at XXX Forks of the Credit Rd. Any helpers?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:07:11 PM by braveheart »

Sleuth

I'm not certain it was, but I'm digging, no pun intended,  back into my memory and I think, I had read somewhere that the 'pool' was dug up but nothing found.
Also does anyone have the exact time-line, or very close to the time-line the little boys went missing? but the exact time would be nice.
I'm also going back in time and think there was a youTube video where a woman stated she thought her father committed the crime. I'm running on fussy here.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 02:13:42 PM by Sleuth »

braveheart

• View Profile
I believe that your information is not correct, Sleuth. The RCMP do not patrol the area and have and would have nothing to do with that area. It is O.P.P. I just phoned the Caledon O.P.P and they said they would phone me back. I think very unlikely that it would have been done by now, even if they were working towards that goal, it can take along time. They need a warrant and they need to clear up some of there newer cases first.

I would like to find a team to help approach the new owners and ask permission to search and get together to dig.  If nothing comes from it, at least we can put an end to that aspect.

braveheart

• View Profile
   Thank you Sleuth, but Canada's Missing Children network does not have the resources nor authority to do any digging. Too controversial area for them to venture into. They just pass on any information to the police and leave it to them. For it to be dug up it would have to be the police or an independent effort.  Probably an independent  effort would be faster.

Sleuth

Did some more networking on asking specific people specific questions and hoping for specific answers to those specific questions from specific people.  ;)
Which reminds me, if anyone is thinking of going digging, and it's not for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, a person has now become an archeologist. So remember it's not like digging up potatoes, so one needs: a squared off shovel, a screen, (for panning the dirt through), a soft brush, like a blusher brush, a hard brush, like an old tooth-brush, a trowel. So start where one thinks that pot of gold may be laying, and mark off squares. Then with the shovel gently, gently, scrape a couple of centimeters of earth into the screen and pan it looking for anything you think it may be what you are looking for, and hope you recognize what it is you are looking at. If the shovel or trowel hits something hard, stop. And use your hands to gently, gently, feel around it. If you happen across something you think is what it looks to be, stop, and phone the police. It is long, hard arduous work and painstakingly slow, so have patience and a lot of water and hopefully, a johnny on the spot....... ;)