Author Topic: Erik Larsfolk - John McCormick - Missing presumed murdered - Caledon, ON - 1981  (Read 106048 times)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
amen to that!  sympathy of all on here to the family.

Sleuth

Wick I am so sorry to hear the sad news about your cousin. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this sad time.

Sleuth

I was going through my file on these two boys and I noticed that I had made a note which was tucked into the back. Both boys were named after their father's. John McCormick Jr, John McCormick Sr. Lloyd Eric Larsfolk and father Lloyd Larsfolk. It seems to be Karmic. I had also noted that all the separate addresses when added up individually came to the number 3. I have no idea what that means. But I do know one thing, Wick you'd better blow the dust off of your hiking boots, set your big stick near the door and pack a case of Deep Woods Off.  ;)
Wick I remember seeing a picture somewhere, I think it was a long time ago, of Eric on his bicycle. Are you able to post the picture of it?

Wick

• View Profile
thanks<3

and yeah that could be why it wont let me sign up.

i think i know what photo you are talking about. i took a quick look for it but was unsuccessful. i shall look again later today or tomorrow afternoon.

Sleuth

Back to the microfiche. Here is the next mention of the boys on November 4, 1981 on page 7. It seems in this case things are happening backwards for me. Curiouser and curiouser, I was given the information over the phone that the boys went in a "North East direction and are in a marsh", then shortly afterward another phone call by the same person who said, "scrap the information I gave you. I will get back to you." (this is not the same person as as 'The Person'). And this newspaper article states that a tracking dog picked up a scent by a pond near the gravel pit. So that clears up the mystery of the pond, because a number of physic's in the past have mentioned pond/marsh. Months back, someone emailed me after I had made an inquiry about these two boys, and due to confidentiality was unable to tell me too much but did state, '....it is a fascinating and puzzling case.' Ain't that the truth! However, now there is a name of a journalist attached to this article, so I will try and track this person down and ask questions. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this person is alive and his marbles are still intact. At least now the last name of the McCormick boy is spelled correct, and the description of the shirt is now different from the previous article. But the boys are still criss-crossed as to who wore what. Not that I think it matters much at this point in time, since the clothes would have pretty much disintegrated through time, unless one of the boys wore a belt with a buckle? And maybe a few buttons and the metal studs on the jeans. I don't know how long running shoes would stand the test of time before degrading, or the tan boots. If the tan boots are work boots made of real leather, then I think there is a chance that they have stood the test of time. So in the meantime, I have sent out numerous e-mails and left messages and now it is a wait and see.

The OPP head honcho still thinks the boys ran away. Now Mr. Head Honcho, do you still think so after 28 years?  :(

Sleuth

The next article appears December 2, 1981. The search is called off.  :-\ Now Mr Head Honcho thinks something nefarious has happened to the boys. Ya Think! It only took three months to figure that one out.  :-\
Note: The article states the boys were last see playing 'near' a gravel pit 'near' the McCormick farm.
Can journalist's not get their flocking facts straight!!!!! You can tell I'm getting frustrated by bad reporting.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 03:04:13 PM by Sleuth »

Sleuth

Sorry Des, a little late, I've been there scouting out the territory and surrounding territory. It so sucks with, lots and lots and lots of trees.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
time and nature covers up a lot of crimes and "cover-ups" - pardon the pun.  It's a sad fact that you have to be found dead or be considered most-certain-dead, before you're considered missing or worth searching for.
At least these days, there are volunteer orgs. out there, that go out and search more willingly than police.
I hope this all gets resolved.

Wick

• View Profile
I found that according to their TOS, they are not excepting registrants without mail addy's from a provider; that is not hotmail, nor yahoo accounts.
They also said that one can view most of the site without joining. So I looked for the picture of the barn you mentioned and found it, but was unable to view it as clicking on the link brought me to the registration page. If you register with your addy from your Internet provider you wouldn't have any problems likely.

I am still a kid, Its my mothers internet not mine. so i dont have one. but i guess i can do without seeing the photos.
I was just curious of the surroundings of the farm. i tryed to find it on google earth.... no luck

Shwa

• View Profile
"the police probably figured they ran away to Mexico"

Why Mexico?  Why not the US?

We know that McCormick had recently spend some time in Virginia, so there would be relatives and friends there; and we know that Larsfolk recently came from Fort Erie, which is a well known border crossing.

So both boys, even at 15 years old, would have some savvy with crossing the border and in 1981 the restrictions on crossing the border were much, much less than nowadays.  Heck, there wasn't even the Internet as we know it in those days, so news travelled much slower.

McCormick would have every reason in the world not to live with his parents.  Not so sure about Larsfolk, but at 15 perhaps it was an adventure that was hard to refuse.  Besides, moving from one town to another at that age could be traumatic and he hadn't yet gone to school in Caledon and as the summer waned that possibility might have added some stress that threw him over to leaving.  It would not be the first case in the past 50 years where such young kids took off.

I am not saying it is probable that they fled to the US, but it is very possible and ought not to be discounted if there is some evidence pointing that way.  It might be just as useful to dig through Facebook, MySpace or Google results as it is into some ground somewhere in Caledon.  They might be living under a similar assumed name, mother's maiden name, etc.

The article quoted from websleuths, is there an actual newspaper link to that story somewhere? Even though the missing sites say it is a case of non-relative abduction, is that something the police have released or someone elses best guess?

Sleuth

QUOTE[Thanks for the laugh lostlinganer, you are right a person has to be more than dead, 28 years worth of dead and then the police probably figured they ran away to Mexico and are living the good life there.]UNQUOTE
Sorry Shwa, I'm shamefaced,  :-[ the line about the Police thinking the boys ran away to Mexico, is my sense of humour. Due to  the first 4 month articles stating the police think they ran away. ::) In future I'll try to keep my sense of humour down to a dull roar so that there is no confusion. My bad.  :o

Shwa

• View Profile
I didn't mean to slight anyone, just curious about the dismissal of them running away.  I know it is very improbable, but you guys are doing such a great job of casting the wide net, I figured all options should be open.

I am heading up to Erin in a few weeks and will try to scout some of the area, especially the Forks of the Credit.

Did we have any definitive addresses of the farms or Norris' place?  It might be useful to look around the area to get a better sense of the locations...

Wick

• View Profile
Shwa makes a good point about the US...but then again. people are saying Larsfolk was very close to his family. Also even if they were angry at their parents. or even hated them(as John Jr may have) Do you think they could go that long without phoning home to mom at that age? when i was 15 i was sent to Caledon to stay with my aunt after a Large argument with my mother. the first month was alright. but once the 2nd and 3rd hit. I phoned my mom every night because i missed her! Larsfolk has no history of abuse that we know of. do you really think he'd go that long without calling his mom?

Shwa

• View Profile
"do you really think he'd go that long without calling his mom?"

If they went through to the States and met foul play there.  Two slight 15 year olds would be rather vulnerable and it could be that they met up with a friend or acquaintence of Larsfolk in Fort Erie that got them across the border.  Once into the States they would have likely wanted to head somewhere safe and known - either the border towns of the US or back to where McCormick's stayed in Virginia.  But once in the States they would be open to all kinds of threats, especially if they were hitchhiking or involved in some other lifestyle choices.

Is this plausible?  Sure it is.  I have a friend who did something similar at the same age, but from Ottawa to Toronto.  Likely a much larger distance than Caledon to Fort Erie.  And my friend was pretty slight in those days.  Het met someone and decided to take off with this guy without telling anyone, even his best friends.

Is it probable?  The evidence is really tough in this case, but when we cast a wide net we have to look for signs and beware of signs with multiple meanings.  For instance, if you are taking off to the US, no need to take your bicycle.  Easy come, easy go for a 15 year old on the run.

See what I mean?

So I think there is more to learn by trying to figure out the relationship those two boys had together.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:23:51 AM by Shwa »

Wick

• View Profile
thanks SAP but thats not the one i ment. i saw that one. to printscreen(if on a laptop) press the fn buttion(located between the ctrl and windows buttion. then press paste in paint. to do it on a regular computer i think its ctrl and printscreen. either that or ctrl shift,

also i just dont think larsfolk could... the love in his family seems to strong... but then again...any things possible...