Author Topic: Terry Blanchette & Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette - Murdered -Blairmore, AB  (Read 29444 times)

annaleone

• View Profile
court has started today

Have faith

• View Profile
This media article appeared in my facebook. This case is horrifying, and I know that I can never read anything about it again. I can't take this level of evil directed at an innocent little baby girl. I am thinking about the loved ones having to go through this veritable nightmare, including Debbie who has been personally and emotionally affected by this. It is a worse scenario than we could have ever imagined.

I can't copy and paste the article because it is so disturbing to me. Somebody else will have to do it.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/crown-says-derek-saretzky-provided-details-1.3447102

Sap1

• View Profile
I could not take the gruesome details either but did note that Saretsky got 1st degree murder times 3 plus other charges. I`m just copying and pasting without reading. Several videos at link.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3560347/derek-saretzky-guilty-of-killing-hailey-dunbar-blanchette-father-and-senior/

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile

Quote Have Faith
  This case is horrifying, and I know that I can never read anything about it again. I can't take this level of evil directed at an innocent little baby girl. I am thinking about the loved ones having to go through this veritable nightmare, including Debbie who has been personally and emotionally affected by this. It is a worse scenario than we could have ever imagined.

I agree, and I did not have the stomach to read it. 
The poor mother of little Hailey.  Horrifying.
This man must be very mentally ill. Either that, or he was right out of his mind on drugs.

He should be held in the forensic unit of a prison.  This reminds me of the Greyhound Bus beheading, that is = the degree of sickness.... especially when cannibalism was involved.

Regardless, he will have to be protected from the prison population for many years to come.

Did he not show any signs of severe mental illness before he did this?
Someone in his life did not observe anything strange about his behavior?
I believe he was seeing a psychiatrist at one point, prior to these murders.

I don't think mental illness was ever part of his defense strategy.  Am I guessing correctly?

jb
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 10:23:30 PM by jellybean »

Sap1

• View Profile
Re: Terry Blanchette & Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette - Murdered -Blairmore, AB
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2017, 11:15:52 AM »
Sentenced to 75 years today. Long article below which also has a timeline. Snipped to most current info.

www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/derek-saretzky-hailey-dunbar-blanchette-terry-hanne-meketech-sentence-1.4239677

Derek Saretzky, the southern Alberta man who murdered a toddler, her father and an elderly woman, will not be allowed to apply for parole until he is 97 years old.

Saretzky was sentenced in court in Lethbridge, Alta., on Wednesday to life in prison with no chance of parole for 75 years, one of the stiffest sentences handed down in Canada since the death penalty was abolished.

With credit for time served in pre-trial custody, the sentence means the 24-year-old will have to wait 73 years until he is eligible for parole.

In June, a jury found Saretzky guilty of three counts of first-degree murder for the 2015 slayings of Terry Blanchette, 27, his daughter, Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette, 2, and Hanne Meketech, 69.

They also found him guilty of committing an indignity to the toddler's body, which was dismembered and burned.

Saretzky received a five-year, concurrent sentence for that crime.

In handing down the sentence, Court of Queen's Bench Justice William Tilleman said Saretzky's actions were "simply abominable" and had caused "grave injury to his entire community."

The family members of the victims have lived through "a real horror story," the judge said.

Saretzky stood as Tilleman pronounced the sentence. He showed no visible emotion

More to come.

An earlier version of this story is below.

If the Crown gets its way, triple murderer Derek Saretzky will be 97 years old before he can even ask for parole. But Saretzky's lawyer says parole ineligibility for 75 years would be a "crushing" and "unduly long and harsh" sentence that wouldn't motivate his client to be a model inmate.

Instead, defence lawyer Patrick Edgerton has asked the judge to allow Saretzky ? who murdered a toddler, her father and an elderly woman in the Crowsnest Pass region of southwestern Alberta ? to apply for release in 25 years.

'You are an animal, an indescribable beast': Family of murder victims have their say in court

The 24-year-old is set to learn his fate today in Lethbridge after a jury found him guilty of three counts of first-degree murder in June for the slayings of Terry Blanchette, 27, his daughter, Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette, 2, and Hanne Meketech, 69.

Saretzky automatically gets a life sentence with no chance of parole for at least 25 years.

But prosecutors Photini Papadatou and Michael Fox asked Court of Queen's Bench Justice William Tilleman to sentence him to consecutive parole ineligibility periods ? meaning it would be 75 years before the killer could ask to be freed.

'This is not their fault': Saretzky and Blanchette families support each other during murder trial

Although Fox made his sentencing arguments the day after the verdict, Edgerton told the court "legal issues" arose during the Crown's submissions, and he was allowed to submit his arguments in writing weeks later.

"Giving an inmate the possibility of living to their parole eligibility date is important," wrote Edgerton in his argument. "It will also promote the safety of other inmates and prison personnel."

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2017, 11:38:50 AM »
ITA, Long gone.
I really have to wonder about his psyche. He was declared fit for trial mentally, yet what he did ... for lack of better words, is very mentally crazy and heinous. There has to be some psyche label that describes his actions, and if so, is it treatable?
He planned all these murders and had ample opportunity to stop after the first.
What makes a young person so mentally sick? Was he different before and people just didn't see the warning signs?

Compare his murders to Cody Legebokoff's murders ... Cody only got 25 for horrific kills, 3 found and only the blood/dna of the fourth found in his apt. Cody's sentence is way too light.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:42:02 AM by Sap1 »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2017, 06:33:53 PM »
He claims his sentence is unconstitutional!! He gave heinous death sentences to three people, one of which was just a little girl. He was judge, jury, and executioner. 75 years is quite suitable.

He would be a loner if he got a light sentence and was out in a few years. It appears even his own father was intensely disgusted with him. He would go on to commit further crimes against people because he would be spurned by everyone who knew him. His mind is not stable enough to take such rejection from people. He snapped. He will do it again. I doubt very much he will get a re-trial, and if he does, it will be the same outcome. Kudos to the judge who did this sentencing.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2017, 07:16:57 PM »
Interesting that he is serving time in NB.  How come?

Is it because inmates in NB would not be fully aware of his crimes, as opposed to those serving time in AB prisons?

jb

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2017, 11:55:57 AM »
I would think so JB. I read another article where it stated he has not had problems since he was transferred to a prison. So perhaps while he was in jail up west he may possibly have had threats.