Author Topic: Terry Blanchette & Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette - Murdered -Blairmore, AB  (Read 28809 times)

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Terry Blanchette & Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette - Murdered -Blairmore, AB
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2015, 05:53:51 PM »
CCF, I feel as you do, why was this man and his child targetted. I mean why kill the child. I do not know the details of the autopsy. Was the killer a pedophile, did he abuse little children? That was my first thought. I thought they may know one another. But I felt that maybe he saw the victim at his  place of employment and watched him when he took his child there. Could he have in his twisted mind thought up this horrific crime against them, just to get the child. We have heard of this before, when a person is killed to abduct a child. There is something that doesn't add up in my mind, don't know what it is. But you have something there related to the lady that was murdered, ironic that she lives close to Mr. S. grandparents, now that is a real item to be looked into. The police had better do a thorough investigation on this crime. It is a tragedy all the way with the loss of life. There is no reason in this world to commit such a horrific crime against these people. Only a total coward would just target a little child and kill her and leave her in a field by herself. I don't know if the families will ever get over this tragedy, it will never go away. Once again a cowardly act against someone that could not defend themselves. This man should get the max sentence and consecutive life terms, which would be 50 years in jail. The death penalty would be the proper penalty, but once again we have to look after him for 50 years, of the tax payers money.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2015, 11:56:23 AM »
Saretzky was at the age where mental problems begin to show up in young men. Couple that with drugs and you have a volatile mix that can go off unexpectedly. I think this is where the answers lay as to motive. Rational people with rationale thinking can't really fathom the process that may have led someone like this to do what he did. I do believe the murder of the 69 year old woman is connected and may be the trigger event that led to the rest. No idea what transpired there but once that gate was opened in a twisted mind, the motive for what ensued is concocted from a very twisted rational.

There are some clues that may have led to Hailey's and Terry's murder. Saretzky had been friends with Hailey's mother. Hailey's mother say's that was three years back and she hadn't had anything to do with him since. Hailey was two years old. Obviously Cheyenne and Terry had gotten together at the same time Cheyenne quit hanging out with or being friends with Saretzky. Saretzky never married and declined since. He may have had hopes or illusions of him and Cheyenne being together and blamed Terry for interfering.

As for Hailey, whatever was done to her would spell out the deeper motives and the true nature of the sickness Saretzky possessed. Maybe Saretzky looked upon Hailey as an earlier innocent version of the Cheyenne he couldn't have? Maybe he just wanted to destroy any link to that union between Terry and Cheyenne? Maybe he thought this would bring he and Cheyenne back together again? Who knows what lurks behind the scenes when someone does something like this but I suspect this was more the result of a mental disorder acted out by a singular individual rather than a planned hit involving other parties.  jmo 

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2015, 02:12:24 PM »
I believe there is going to be something come out that is really going to show what the motive was here. I do not believe that S. was that mentally disturbed. Did he live with his parents and if so, they would have noticed something about this activities. :o :( :(

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2015, 05:45:20 PM »
I have set up a link for Hannah Meketch from Coleman who was murdered.
Her murder is also being investigated, and the RCMP are taking a second look as to whether Derek S was involved in that homicide as well.

Hannah was murdered one week prior to Terry and his daughter's murder.

Coincidentally, she lived next door to DS's grandfather.

Hannah was 69 years of age, lived alone, was developmentally challenged.
According to neighbour Hannah was shot several times in her home.
She had lived there for years.

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=7608.msg115669#new
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 07:47:45 PM by jellybean »

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2015, 09:23:03 PM »
From the news article on page 2-

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2015, 10:58:07 AM »
IF Saretsky is responsible for all three murders, then he is basically a serial killer.
In the first murder, gunshots were heard.  There has been no mention of gunshots heard in the murder of Terry and Hailey, but a vehicle's squealing tires alerted a neighbour.

I am still thinking along the lines of this perp not maturing and developing like most males do, possibly even mental illness, but no excuse for murder either.  This double murder sounds very much planned.
Perhaps Saretsky did murder all three Victims and the eerily odd thing about these three crimes is that a Victim from each generation was chosen.

A crime I mentioned earlier in this thread, From my county, I have never learned why...what happened to the perp, a son of a respected family in the community....what happened to his thinking, his development, and what was his family doing about it? 
On the other hand, who actually thinks their loved one is capable of or planning to attack/murder a child, (especially).
Who actually thinks their loved one is going to commit suicide?  (I just heard about another young man in our community died).
We do our best...but do we really know/understand?  And can foresee?  I don't think we can unless the signs are obvious.
I think I understand Saretsky's sister in law speaking up about the devastation this has also caused the perp's family.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2015, 03:20:25 PM »
Jobo, it is always about the perp and not about the victims. I get sick of it every day, oh, he had mental problems, well bull crap. If he had mental problems, take him to a doctor to have him looked at. He sure wasn't walking around every day looking like he was the best guy in the community. If he had problems, it had to have shown somewhere and nobody did anything. And I feel there is something else in his head that makes him obsessed with the Blanchette's. Was he obsessed with the little girl Hailey?Why kill her father and then killer her?It does not make any sense to me, however, murder never does. There is an underlying motive here and we don't know the full story, that is my belief. I feel sorry for the Blanchette family, the mother of the child especially. To have a little girl, who was protected in her own home, in her bed sleeping, to be snatched up and dragged out after her father was killed brutally, that is a hard thing for them to ever recover from. The killer may have problems, but they always hide behind that when they are charged with murder. We will await the true medical reports about the killer, whatever they are. However, the killer's family also have to deal with the whole horrific episode. My thoughts and prayers to the Blanchette family, they have to think about how their loved one's came to their brutal end and they will never get over that. I hope he gets 50 years in jail. He knows the difference between right and wrong, he knows killing someone is wrong. So I hope they don't go and use this mental problem he had and he tries to get off with the murders of two innocent people. That is my opinion on this case.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2015, 05:31:26 PM »
I too, feel heart sorry for the loved ones of all three murder victims.  It shouldn't happen, especially since there is help out there.

I tend to try to figure out why when I hear of such horrible crimes, maybe it's because one of my kids is a mental health nurse and another is a dsw....they both have stressful jobs and big responsibilities....and I worry, and try to comprehend evil and and mental illnesses, so maybe in some way, I can help my kids in their chosen paths.

I certainly do not feel sorry for perps...I cannot imagine how Victims' families cope with such horrible crimes, I truly feel for them.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2015, 06:29:24 PM »
http://globalnews.ca/news/2226544/what-we-know-about-derek-saretzky/

One possible reason?

At age 22, a frazzled brain through drugs. Possibly, but not necessarily.

By all accounts in videos, the perp said to a resident that he was trying to turn things around for him and the last word was that he would do his best.  He did go to psychiatrist - don't know what happened with that, or if he just made that up.

There are times, when I am doing something, I will mumble to myself, we all do it, but when is it appropriate to do so? 

I guess it was often enough, that the citizens took notice.

It is only natural that a Family will reach out to help.

This is the usual pattern;

Give him a job. Show him what it means to become an upstanding citizen by example, by encouragement and love.  Most of all Love.

At times, sadly it does not work. 

Way out in the small town of Blairmore, Alberta, one cannot access the help they need, and so it festers and then we have this.

Who is to say, or who could envision that this would happen?  A mumbling person, does not spell murderer.

People who knew him as f** up, never thought of bringing this to the families attention? |
Afraid to?  None of their business?.

Perhaps if one person took a deep breath, and spoke to the family,  about the odd behavior,  the outcome might have been different.

However, who would say that the family, so focused,  would even listen?
I don't think that anything was said to the family, about their concerns of Derek.

jb

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 07:39:24 PM by jellybean »

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2015, 11:45:51 PM »
I can not possibly believe that given the small size of the town that the parents could have had no knowledge of the mental health of their son >  can any one possibly believe that he was strange , and went around mumbling but could miraculously  be normal around the siblings or parents, not to likely.  How ever what could the parents do , they could be nothing  the lake of mental health help across the nation would be to blame not the parents. Sadly there is not help for some one with mental health issues until they are arrested or commit a crime in a lot of cases .  This guy was bright enough to go to try to hide her body he was then capable of knowing what he did was wrong , if he is guilty of this crime in my opinion

CCF

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2015, 01:02:43 AM »
Terry was murdered around 3:30 am and the child was abducted, and .... to quote from Kazoo's article;
Derek Saretzky lived in Coleman, a neighboring town to Blairmore. The Calgary Herald reports that police descended on his home in the town at around 7:30 a.m. on September 15. Officers were also seen at the back of the Blanchette family owned dry-cleaners.
Within four hours of the abduction law enforcement  honed in on Saretsky.
JB   

I believe that was the next day from the time the murder and abduction took place, so 28 hours or so later (ball park).  That is lots of time to interview co-workers, friends and family to see if he had any problems with anyone in town.  Also, there are five total towns to make up the Crowsnest Pass; all combined, the Pass' total population is roughly 4000 (+/- 250) so a white van with a flag would stick out to the locals and who in the area had such a vehicle.  The crazy thing is, if it wasn't for those neighbours awake and seen the van, you gotta wonder how long he'd have gotten away with it.  Eerily enough, this Google Maps shot taken in October, 2014 shows a van which matches the description of the one speeding away from the scene is parked across the road from the dry cleaners the accused's family owns.  No wonder they had their man in less than 36 hours.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.6074391,-114.434382,3a,75y,204.28h,73.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGMf8rjbF0NAAVjerySxjFg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1  (copy and paste entire link)

If he did act alone in this, what D1 mentioned above has also crossed my mind...maybe he viewed the mother as "the one that got away" and he needed to to eliminate the two people she was forever linked with.  A psychopath-absolutely.  Mentally ill-I don't know about that, but unfortunately his defence lawyer will be playing that card to the end.  The way the mother talked, they were pretty tight friends once upon a time, but it would seem as soon as Terry entered the picture (based on Hailey's age and the mother's "3 years" comments), that friendship dissipated. Maybe this is what they had their rumoured problems about (Terry and the accused)?  By all accounts, Terry had a few run-ins with the law, but did a 180 upon becoming a father and he never even had so much as a traffic ticket since 2012 so I highly doubt it was over drugs or a drug debt.  His first court appearance is tomorrow, but I doubt anything new will be released through the media.

I hadn't read how the other victim died...interesting to know she was shot (thanks for posting that jellybean!).  That kind of boils in with my "test run" theory.  Its all too coincidental for these three murders to not be linked.  Proof/evidence will be hard to come by now with the events that came a week later...but maybe that was all part of the plan.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2015, 10:54:49 AM »
Interesting comment about the murdered 69 year old woman, Hannah Mecketch .. article posted by JB...she was described by someone as being "child like"

ccf
A psychopath-absolutely.  Mentally ill-I don't know about that, but unfortunately his defence lawyer will be playing that card to the end.

I include psychopath in the broader mentally ill category. I too believe this will be where the defence goes. As far as motive, I think it something that existed only in the mind of the killer. I doubt there will be any evidence found of logical or understandable reasoning. Its not really something anyone can  figure out until they have caught a perp. The motivations for murder committed by someone who isn't right in the head can be truly bizarre.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2015, 12:55:30 PM »
Today's Court case postponed.
Saretzky has hired Edmonton lawyer Peter Northcott. His appearance on Sept. 30 will be via CCTV.
jb

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2015, 12:59:17 PM »
Thanks for the update jb.

This case has hit very close to home for me. Hailey was a family member of a personal friend of mine. I will be attending a vigil for her on Sunday in BC.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2015, 01:40:24 PM »

I am very sorry to hear this Debbie.  I barely have the stomach to read about this case.  If I knew one of Hailey's family members, it would make it even more heart wrenching.  I hope that Hailey's vigil provides some comfort and emotional support to her family members..and for you as well.