Author Topic: Fonassa Bruyere - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg (August 2007)  (Read 12177 times)


  • Guest
Fonassa Bruyere - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg (August 2007)
« on: September 02, 2007, 09:43:29 AM »
Fonessa Bruyère, Winnipeg (2007)
A bereaved family member joins the Southern Chiefs Organization in demanding an independent task force into a possible serial killer.
Program: CBC-TV News
Broadcast Date: Sept. 5, 2007

    September 2, 2007

Victim ID'd as girl, 17Police continue to reveal little about slain teen found dumped

A police source has identified the female found dead in a notorious area of northwest Winnipeg as a 17-year-old girl.

The source said the victim found Thursday at the edge of city limits at Ritchie Street and Mollard Road was Fonassa Bruyere, whom the source said may have been involved in the sex trade.

Police have called her death suspicious but a Sun Media source labelled the incident a homicide last week.

Bruyere's older brother called The Sun yesterday. The man, who would not give his name, said his sister was set to turn 18 in March.

He stressed Bruyere was not part of the sex trade, as media reports suggested she may have been.

But the family later declined further comment.

Meanwhile, missing person posters searching for 17-year-old "Fonessa" Bruyere were still posted in Winnipeg yesterday.

The poster noted the missing girl was last seen Aug. 8 at Selkirk Avenue and Aikins Street.

Child Find Manitoba could not be reached to confirm if the posters referred to the same girl.

Bodies of several homicide victims, including at least four other women, have been found in the same area in the last decade. Three of the murders have not led to charges.

Most recently, Aynsley Aurora Kinch, 35, was found dead near the same spot on July 15.

A child advocate, who could not comment on this specific case, said the death of any child is a tragic event that should shock society.

"It's alarming. It's scary and it means there's someone out there who has targeted a young person. These (young) people are our most vulnerable," said Roz Prober, president of the Winnipeg chapter of Beyond Borders. "It's a tragedy."

Prober said whether or not a female was exploited through the sex trade shouldn't play a role in the attention given to a case.

"The sexual abuse of children in the streets for money is an ongoing problem. The means of doing it is abuse. This is just through payment," said Prober.

She added it's difficult to issue warnings to young girls, who may not be mature enough to heed tips offered to protect themselves.

"They are at high risk. They have very few ways to protect themselves when they are out on the street," she said.

Police have remained tight-lipped about the discovery of a body at the site since it was located by City of Winnipeg employees on Thursday.

Const. Blair Good, a spokesman for Winnipeg police, declined further comment about the case yesterday, stating an autopsy may have been delayed by the long weekend.

"There is no information at all being released until next week," he said.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:06:55 AM by Chris »


  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 7218
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Fonassa Bruyere - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg (August 2007)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 10:11:18 PM »
Yup! I would say serial killer. Edmonton and Van both denied it at first.


WINNIPEG -- Police confirmed yesterday a 17-year-old girl whose body was found on the city's outskirts was slain, but said there is no conclusive evidence a serial killer is preying on prostitutes.

Police spokesman Sgt. Kelly Dennison confirmed Fonassa Lynn Bruyere was involved in the sex trade.

She is the third Winnipeg prostitute to be slain this year.

Those cases are unsolved.

Since 1984, the slayings of at least 14 prostitutes are unsolved.

In the days after Bruyere's body was found, sex-trade workers speculated a serial killer may be responsible for at least some of the homicides.

Bruyere is Winnipeg's 17th homicide victim of 2007.


  • Member
  • Posts: 3102
  • RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
Re: Fonassa Bruyere - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg (August 2007)
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 12:07:25 PM »

Hi Des, You are right, and dead on. But I go more for a couple that know each other. I think a lot of these bad guys meet each other in the slammer, and talk amongst themselves, feel each other out so to speak. (Quiet, Chris!! :-[)

Like for instance there was a time a while back, going years, when Clifford Olsen, wanted to finish his sentence in the States, where he could meet, other serial killers. They seem to have the honing instincts, ability to pick the vulnerable, and have there own system, secret of course, on how to meet.

It is so sick, so dreadful, and miserable, how these people find each other, and what they do.I think the part of the brain that has conciense, is all fucked up, not working right.They don't feel emotions as we do. >:( >:( >:(


  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 7218
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Fonassa Bruyere - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg (August 2007)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 12:19:33 PM »
Morgan and FIsher met in prison it looks like and I have read many times that pedophiles instinctifly know who other pedophiles are.

Nothing would surprise me at all. Maybe prisons should start keeping these real bad prisoners away from Gen population so that they don't teach others what they do.


  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 7218
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Fonassa Bruyere - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg (August 2007)
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 06:58:24 AM »
That's a pretty good solve rate.


  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 7218
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Fonassa Bruyere - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg (August 2007)
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 04:08:46 PM »
From kindheart

Father keeps faith                                                                     Mon, November 19, 2007
Waits to learn who killed his 17-year-old daughter
For almost three agonizing months, Tim Lavallee has been waiting for answers in the murder of his 17-year-old daughter this past summer.
As each day passes and the homicide investigation grows colder, his fear that he will never learn who killed Fonassa Lynn Bruyere -- and why -- intensifies, but his belief in God doesn't allow it to overcome him.
"At first I didn't think (it will be solved), but then I started praying about it and now I know it's going to happen," Lavallee said recently. "Fonassa was my little girl and I loved her. The police are going to catch (her killer)."
For that to happen, someone must step forward to give police the information they need to solve the case.
Lavallee is convinced someone knows the identity of Bruyere's killer and what happened to her. So is Sgt. Scott Bell of the Winnipeg police homicide unit. 

"We want these people to feel free to contact us," Bell said. "We need their help."
Anyone with information -- even if it seems non-important -- about the homicide is asked to contact police at 986-6508 or CrimeStoppers at 786-8477.
Calls to Crime Stoppers are confidential and can result in a substantial reward for information leading to charges.
Bruyere's naked and decomposed body was found shortly after noon on Aug. 30 near trees in a field at the southeast corner of Mollard Road and Ritchie Street.
City workers made the discovery while cutting grass.
Police are not releasing the cause of death. Forensic testing is pending.
Bruyere was a sex-trade worker who was last seen alive Aug. 9 near Aikins Street and Selkirk Avenue in the North End. A family member saw her, Bell said.
Bruyere was seen getting into a truck -- possibly some type of sport utility vehicle -- operated by an older white man with short hair and possibly a moustache.
Police do not know if that male was involved in Bruyere's death, but would like to speak to him, Bell said.
"This person would be a person of interest to us," Bell said.
At the time, Bruyere was wearing black cotton-style pants which may have had the word "Angel" across the rear, a black cotton tank top and white K-Swiss brand running shoes with a pink stripe.
The clothing has not been recovered, Bell said.
Police don't know if Bruyere was killed in the field. It's possible her body was taken there after she was killed somewhere else, Bell said.


  • Member
  • Posts: 318
    • View Profile
Re: Fonassa Bruyere - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg (August 2007)
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 04:25:51 PM »
That's a pretty good solve rate.

Winnipeg has always had one of the best Police Depratments in North America.  Certainly better than Edmonton's.


  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 7218
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Fonassa Bruyere - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg (August 2007)
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 03:05:36 AM »
CBC archives material

Fonessa Bruyère, Winnipeg (2007)
A bereaved family member joins the Southern Chiefs Organization in demanding an independent task force into a possible serial killer.
Program: CBC-TV News
Broadcast Date: Sept. 5, 2007


  • Member
  • Posts: 8143
  • Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Fonassa Bruyere - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg (August 2007)
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 02:37:22 PM »
I happened upon a Guest looking at her site.

This is the latest that I can find on this lovely lady.  STILL UNSOLVED!!

b]Teen slain in 2007 linked to girls recently found dead


CBC News Posted: Aug 31, 2009 4:56 PM CT|

■Victims' families see task force as positive small step   
■Task force to probe missing, murdered women in Manitoba   
■Woman fears for life after friends found dead   
■Winnipeg's murdered women deserve task force, say aboriginal groups   
The body of Fonessa Bruyere, 17, was found in August 2007 but the latest discoveries of slain women have brought back painful memories for her family. ((Photo courtest Bruyere family))

The family of a teen slain two years ago believes her death may be linked to the deaths of Cherisse Houle and Hillary Wilson, whose bodies were discovered this summer.

Fonessa Bruyere, 17, was last seen on the morning of Aug. 9 getting into a car on Aikens Street near Selkirk Avenue in Winnipeg, where she worked in the sex trade. Her body was found Aug. 20, 2007, near Ritchie Street and Mollard Road at the city's northern edge.

The body of Houle, 17, was uncovered July 1 by a construction crew working near the shore of Sturgeon Creek in the Rural Municipality of Rosser, northwest of Winnipeg. The body of Wilson, 18, was found Aug. 20 on a dirt path in a sparsely populated area in East St. Paul, just northeast of the city limits.

The two aboriginal women were friends and both were involved in the sex trade and lived at-risk lifestyles. They were also involved some years earlier with a group of men who used them for sex in exchange for food, clothes and crack cocaine.

Bruyere's family said Monday that she was friends with Houle and Wilson and was involved with the same group of men. The family had told police at the time of Bruyere's death about the North End residence that was frequented by the women, but don't know whether investigators ever looked into it.

The body of Hillary Wilson was discovered Aug. 20. ((CBC))

Bruyere's cousin Crystal Bruyere said she visited the house once.

"They were getting high, they were sitting there getting high. I never saw any sexual favours getting done in front of me, but there was a bedroom I guess that you could go to," she said.

Because Bruyere was connected with that circle of people in life, the family believes her death may also be linked to them. Within days of Bruyere's death, aboriginal groups in Manitoba called on the province to set up a task force to examine the cases of missing and murdered women in Manitoba.

That task force, a joint operation between police and RCMP, was announced last week — days after Wilson's body was found.

At the time Bruyere was missing, her grandmother, Janet Bruyere, said she felt helpless, scared and very worried that her granddaughter was in danger. Those fears came true two weeks later when the body was found.

Cherisse Houle's body was found July 1. ((Photo courtesy Houle family))

"Nobody would help me. I went and put [up] posters of the pictures I had of her," she said, breaking into tears.

Two years have passed but the feeling of helplessness and wondering what happened to Bruyere has not gone away for the family. Janet said no one from the police service has updated the family on the investigation.

At the very least, the family would like to know how Bruyere died but the medical examiner's office won't reveal that. It has referred the family to the police.

Janet Bruyere is hoping the new task force can provide the answers she has been seeking for two years.


  • Member
  • Posts: 161
  • Forever changed
    • View Profile
Re: Fonassa Bruyere - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg (August 2007)
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 05:21:24 PM »
I googled her name after reading your post Jellybean and this is what I found..
Alleged Winnipeg serial killer Shawn Lamb has contacted the family of a woman killed in 2007, hinting he may have information about her death.

Lamb was charged with three counts of second-degree murder in 2012 in the deaths of Carolyn Sinclair, 25, Tanya Jane Nepinak, 31, and Lorna Blacksmith, 18.

Lamb, 52, remains in a Manitoba jail and has sent two letters to the family of a woman found slain in 2007.

Fonessa Bruyere was 17 years old when she was found dead in a field on the outskirts of Winnipeg in 2007. She had been missing for three weeks before her body was found.

Her slaying has yet to be solved, and a relative sent a letter to Lamb asking him if he had any information.

Lamb replied with a single letter, saying he was not involved. "I did not know or ever cause any harm to [Bruyere]. Our paths never crossed," Lamb wrote.

Then, months later, another letter came from Lamb, this time unsolicited and saying he may have information.

In a two-page letter that lashes out at the aboriginal community and is at times angry, Lamb wrote to the family member, "To get the specific answers that you seek, you gotta ask specific questions."

Lamb implies he may have more information but doesn’t elaborate.

Criminologist and author Steven Egger said the letters reveal a man seeking attention and special treatment.

“I think there’s an attempt at empathy here, but I think the writer here has evidenced, particularly in the second letter, what psychiatrists call anti-social personality disorder or what the general public would view as a psychopath,” said Egger.

“He’s saying pay attention to me because if you treat me right I may tell you what happened to your friend or your loved one.”

Lamb has had a troubled past, including a long history with Winnipeg police.

He spent over three decades in police custody for a variety of offences before being charged with the slayings of Sinclair, Nepinak and Blacksmith.

Lamb was born on a First Nation in Ontario and spent much of his childhood in the child welfare system. He has said he suffered abuse as a child and later turned to drugs and crime.

Inmates’ outgoing mail, calls supervised

The family member of Bruyere who received Lamb's letter never opened it, and instead handed it over to CBC News.

Victim’s advocate Flloyd Wiebe said victims do have a say in what correspondence they receive from inmates.

Inmates are allowed to communicate with the outside world, but ingoing and outgoing mail is screened and phone calls are monitored.

But if victims don’t want to hear from inmates, the onus is on them to stop it, said Wiebe.

“The victim who receives the letter has to phone the jail and say, ‘I don’t want letters coming from this person again,'” Wiebe explained.

When CBC News sat down with Lamb at the Winnipeg Remand Centre for 30 minutes on Wednesday, he denied contacting the family members of any missing or murdered women.

Family of alleged victim angered

Earlier this week, Lamb reached out to a Winnipeg paper, saying he may have information on unsolved cases.

He then met with a number of media outlets, airing grievances with the Winnipeg police and claiming he was innocent.

Now, one of the family members of one of Lamb’s alleged victims is angry.

“Why is he coming forward now, after all this? What is he trying to prove?” said Amanda Sinclair, Carolyn Sinclair’s sister.

She said she wants to sit down with Lamb to find out why he’s contacting families and why he’s approaching the media.

She said she wants to ask him, “Why are you doing this? Why the turmoil?”

But she knows she may never have the closure she wants.

Lamb speaks of vulnerable women

When CBC reporters spoke with Lamb, he denied any involvement in the murders but provided details about how it would be possible for vulnerable women to be preyed on in the city.

“Maybe two out of 10 don’t even get reported, especially if they’re in their adult years over 20 or whatever, and they’re estranged from their family and have a kid in the system,” said Lamb.

He said the women he knew distanced themselves from their families and the child welfare system by running away or using a different name.

He added tracking who they were was difficult because they lacked government identification.

“They don’t have no ID on them or purse. A majority of them don’t have any ID or purses or nothing, you know.”

He said it would be difficult to convince police a missing woman like that even existed.
seo_keywordscanada-manitoba,Shawn Lamb,Fonessa Bruyere,Tanya Jane Nepinak,Carolyn Sinclair,Lorna Blacksmith,psychopath,serial killer,alleged,murder,homicide,Winnipeg police,remand center,inmate,correspondence


  • Member
  • Posts: 8143
  • Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Fonassa Bruyere - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg (August 2007)
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 07:24:25 PM »
Who is Shawn Lamb?

This is an article from last year: Reminds me of Clifford Olsen in a sense. 

Police paid killer Shawn Lamb $1,500 for information

Teen encouraged to drop charges against convicted killer as part of plea deal

CBC News Posted: Nov 15, 2013 12:02 PM CT| Last Updated: Nov 15, 2013 6:31 PM CT

Winnipeg police not only paid killer Shawn Lamb for information but also encouraged a teen who had been allegedly assaulted by Lamb to drop the charges against him — all part of a plea deal that saw him convicted of two counts of manslaughter.

Lamb was paid $1,500 by Winnipeg police for interviews while he was in custody — information that was used to find the body of Carolyn Sinclair.

The money was not a payment for a confession, police insisted in a news conference on Friday.
■Shawn Lamb sentenced to 20 years for two slayings

Shawn Lamb struck a plead deal on Thursday, admitting to killing Carolyn Sinclair, 25, Lorna Blacksmith, 18. In return, the original charges of second-degree murder were reduced to manslaughter. (CBC)

The issue of payment came up in court on Thursday, during a hearing in which Lamb, 54, plead guilty to the slaying of Sinclair, 25, and Lorna Blacksmith, 18.

He has been sentenced to 20 years behind bars — 10 years for each killing.

The sentence was a joint submission by the Crown and defence. In return for the guilty pleas, the original charges against Lamb were reduced from second-degree murder, which carries a potential life sentence, to manslaughter.

Those charges were laid in June 2012 after the bodies of Sinclair and Blacksmith were found. A third charge of second-degree murder is still before the courts in connection to the death of Tanya Jane Nepinak, 31.

Carolyn Sinclair
Carolyn Sinclair's body was found in March 2012 near a dumpster behind an apartment complex in Winnipeg's West End. (Winnipeg Police Service)

Lamb has denied killing Nepinak, whose body has never been found.

Family encouraged to drop sex assault charges

In June 2012, Lamb was charged with sexual assault, sexual interference and procuring the sexual services of a person under the age of 18.

Those charges stemmed from an incident with a 14-year-old girl that dated back to the fall of 2011, just months before he was charged in the deaths of the three missing women.

Now, the teen’s mother said herself and her daughter were approached by Winnipeg police and asked to drop the charges against Lamb in order for the plea deal to go through.

“If we did pursue it, he would not plead guilty to anything, and it would draw everything out,” she said, “Basically, what she said to us was that this was the only guarantee he would go to jail.”

Lorna Blacksmith
Lorna Blacksmith's body was found in the backyard of a West End Winnipeg home in June 2012. (Winnipeg Police Service)

Sources confirmed at least two other women were also asked to recant statements related to being sexually assaulted by Lamb as part of the plea deal.

“It’s disgusting to me that our legal system allows that to happen,” she said. She said she doesn’t believe 18 years, Lamb’s total sentence for both manslaughter convictions, is long enough and is disappointed her daughter will not get justice.

The Crown and Lamb’s defence lawyer declined to comment on the deal on Friday.

Extraordinary measure

Police said Friday the decision to pay Lamb for the information was not made lightly but has brought closure to two families.

It was an extraordinary measure made to find missing and murdered women, police said.

Lamb’s defence lawyer, Martin Glazer, told court on Thursday that police paid Lamb $600 to give a confession on the location of a woman's body.

"He was paid by the police for confessing," Glazer said outside court.

"First time that I've ever seen such a case in Canada, and I've been a criminal lawyer for 31 years."

Glazer said the payment made Crown prosecutors nervous that resulting in the plea deal that reduced the charges.

"The problem with the Crown's case was that if the statement [Lamb's confession] was thrown out of court the Crown would have no case," he said.

Police said Friday it was a very difficult case and there was little evidence to secure a conviction.

They didn't go to Lamb and offer to pay him, rather he contacted police saying he wanted $600 for canteen money. In return, he would provide information on the location of a body.

“For the families of the people that were involved in this, I think it would certainly bring some closure to them knowing what occurred and that there has been some justice here,” said Supt. Danny Smith.
“These were difficult decisions.”

Very little evidence?  Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.  At least he is off the streets for 18 years, and a family has received closure.   He will eat that $money up in canteen in no time - Hmm Let's see,  he has 18 years to serve,  divided into $1500.00,  comes to $83.33 per YEAR.  $6.94 per month.

Normally, I would be against society paying - but for the outcome for two families?.  PRICELESS!!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:42:55 PM by jellybean »


  • Guest
Re: Fonassa Bruyere - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg (August 2007)
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 02:42:17 AM »
These kids started in 2005 ... they were just children, 15 to 16 years old!

The family of a sexually exploited teenager slain two years ago says she was linked to the same sex-for-drugs ring as two other Winnipeg teens whose bodies were recently found.
Fonassa Lynn Bruyere, 17, was a joking teen with glimmering eyes whose tragically truncated life included a crowd of men who exploited her, relatives say.
They say two years after her death police still have not told them details about how Fonassa died, or the abuse she might have suffered beforehand.
Fonassa's body was found on Aug. 30, 2007, near Ritchie Street and Mollard Road in northwest Winnipeg. At the time, police confirmed her death was a homicide and that she was last seen on Aikins Street in the North End.
"I'd like to know who did this to her and why, and how she died," Maureen Bruyere said Sunday afternoon -- two years to the day her daughter's remains were found.
She said she last saw her daughter on Aug. 8, the night before Fonassa disappeared, after the two had a brief argument.
The victim's sister, Tracy Bruyere, 20, told the Free Press on Sunday that she and her sister would frequent a Burrows Avenue home where men would give teenaged girls crack cocaine. Some of the girls traded sex for drugs.
Two other young women recently found dead -- Cherisse Houle, 17, on July 1; and Hillary Wilson 18, on Aug. 20 -- had also provided police with statements about the Burrows Avenue home, sources told the Free Press last week.
RCMP called the circumstances of Houle's death suspicious and are awaiting toxicology results.
The Mounties confirmed Wilson's death is a homicide, although the cause of death has not been released.
Tracy Bruyere said police have never questioned her about her visits to the Burrows Avenue home. She said she was not aware if her sister had provided information to police or authorities about the residence.
In 2007, Fonassa's death prompted aboriginal leaders to demand a task force dedicated to looking at cases of missing and slain native women.
Last week, the task force became a reality. RCMP Asst. Commissioner Bill Robinson, Winnipeg police Chief Keith McCaskill and Justice Minister Dave Chomiak announced they would assign seven officers and two criminal analysts to investigate all missing and homicide cases involving high-risk females.
The task force will receive an unspecified amount of funding and officers will be transferred from existing units, officials said.
Tracy, who was older than Fonassa by one year, said she and her sister played lookout for each other and tried to provide security from the men who cruised Aikins Street.
Tracy said she last saw Fonassa get into the cab of a green two-door truck with tinted windows on Aug. 9 at about 6 a.m. near Aikins Street and Selkirk Avenue.
She noticed the Caucasian man inside the truck had short hair, a moustache and a big nose before he raced away.
She said she does not know if the vehicle had a Manitoba licence plate.
"She never came back," said Tracy, who admitted she was concerned after her sister did not return to Aikins within 20 to 30 minutes.
She said the unfamiliar truck circled Fonassa and her sister repeatedly before stopping and picking up the younger sibling.
Tracy said the two regularly travelled together, including to a Burrows Avenue home known for trading crack cocaine to sexually exploited young women.
She said the two went to the home together on four or five occasions around 2005, and they had another close friend who frequently went there.
She believes Fonassa may have gone to the home without her on other occasions.
There were five to seven older men at the home when she was there, she said.
Sometimes, the men would travel by foot to solicit women in the neighbourhood and offer drugs in exchange, she said.
At least one man -- not connected to the Burrows Avenue home -- who sexually exploited women had threatened Fonassa and her family, said her mother and sister.
Sagkeeng First Nation Chief Donovan Fontaine said Sunday he had a meeting earlier this year with Winnipeg Police Service investigators and Fonassa's grandmother, Janet Bruyere. Police told them they are seeking "persons of interest" in connection with the case, Fontaine said.
"These things are very slow," he said, adding he's confident officers are working diligently to crack the case.
Janet Bruyere said police told her they had questioned people in connection with Fonassa's death, but concluded those men should not be charged.
She said she wants officers to tell her more about her granddaughter's cause of death.
Fontaine said he applauds the provincial task force but would like to see it stepped up to a national level, and widened to include non-policing officials.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition August 31, 2009 A3