Author Topic: Timothy SAULT - 28 - Last Seen - July 13, 2015 - Ohsweken, Ontario  (Read 7950 times)

jtmtpleasant

• View Profile
Re: Timothy SAULT - 28 - Last Seen - July 13, 2015 - Ohsweken, Ontario
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 12:22:38 PM »
"I am not trying to be difficult, I am just pointing out to you that this family is not being treated any differently, at least by your accounts."
 I guess I know a bit more of the story here and more informed on the details so I understand why you don't think this case is any different then people who purposely go missing.

"I know, the answers are not nice - and I know that his family must be worried sick. If they can get a few people from the reserve to start calling these places in Toronto, and leave word at the shelters that the family needs to talk to him to see if he is alright, this is a good beginning.  (Perhaps this has already been done by his family)."
Yes that has already been done in the first 2 weeks he went missing. Missing Persons posters have been distributed all around the downtown and at relevant organizations. This was done by family and friends. 

If it is of any help to you, in most cases, the person returns home, not the worse for wear, statistically speaking most do return home.  Let us pray that he picks up the phone and calls home.  I know that waiting is painful and nerve wracking - we get it, especially on this site.
Statistically speaking, Indigenous men are 7 times more likely to go missing or be murdered then any other ethnicity in Canada (Statistics Canada). I can also say statistically speaking, Indigenous people are overrepresented as victims of violence (disappearance, homicide, etc) then any other ethnicity or race in Canada and also keep in mind they represent only 4% of the overall population in Canada. So if you look at those numbers again, they are shocking and staggering.

I pray you are right, that is, that he is missing because he 'needs time' away from his family even though if he has never exhibited this type of behaviour before and no triggers to cause him to act this way.

I'm not sure what's up with reserve police. I just think they're not used to dealing with these types of situations. As we are the largest First Nation in Canada, it's odd we don't have high rates of murders and disappearances like other smaller reserves do so my guess is they're just not organized in their missing persons department but hopefully they'll get it together and even set up a department of some sort of disappearances/homicides. As of right now, they have to call in OPP when we have serious crime and other incidents where they are ill equipped to deal with.

SAP

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 04:36:56 PM »
Nothing new as of Monday August 17. Timothy is still missing. I think the biggest mistake law enforcement and such others make, in terms of missing Indigenous persons, especially women though, is that the person 'wanted' to be missing, assumptions that they are missing because that is what they want, probably out partying and runaways is the typical responses Indigenous families get from law enforcement. And in many cases, these people are still missing today, after 2, 5, 10, 15, even 20 years. Sometimes it takes that long before police finally rule foul play suspected.

Trying really hard here to not point fingers, I just wish these circumstances were taken more seriously especially when it comes to First Nations people, especially those who are/were at-risk and vulnerable at the time of their disappearance.

I realize that has happened before, especially with young ladies when police say they are out having a good time and will return. It was said to Amber Tuccaro's family. The couple cases I remember where the missing person wanted to be missing was nothing more than the person wanted nothing to do with previous lifestyle and family. Police removed said persons from missing list since they had checked and the persons were alive and functioning well. I blame no one for that and hopefully they can at some point work things out on their own but police have no more responsibility for them once they have determined they are well.

SAP

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 04:39:35 PM »
Perhaps someone needs to sit down and have a talk with the reserve police and let them know the details that are not being printed? Or the OPP or whomever polices that jurisdiction.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 06:08:05 PM »
Would he be inclined to seek out other First Nations People?  There is the Mississauga Tribe on Scugog Island,, Port Perry, which is closest to Markham, Ontario.....if in fact Timothy was there.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 07:46:25 PM »
jtmt- thank you for your reply!! I too follow the plight of First Nations Peoples, and am appalled at statistics of the missing and murdered in among them.

The amount of effort put out by law enforcement depends upon the city or province.  Winnipeg is bad for that, as an example.  Public awareness and getting the common decency side of citizens is now awakening, albeit never fast enough.

I realize that Tim's issues are personal, and would not want them plastered all over the internet.  I don't think that it is anyone's business and would not be very helpful, in any event.

The only thing that you mentioned was that Tim felt he could receive better help in the city.  I wonder if he truly meant it, or if it was a reason to leave the reserve, in order to assuage the family?

Jobo has brought up a good idea, to check with other reserves.  At times, First Nations people will go to other reserves, to visit other family members or friends?? It is worth a try.

He may run out of money, or lose his bank card, at which time he will have to return home.

It is a worry - no two ways around it.

I hope he returns home soon!

So you have done the posters, did you check with shelters, Hope Mission, and other places that cater to the homeless?

What you need to do,, is let the Toronto Police Service know that he is missing - because by last count he was in Toronto, and it falls with their jurisdiction.  Hopefully, they will listen.

All the best.... and keep in touch, as perhaps other posters may have better ideas than I gave to you..

jb
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 08:07:37 PM by jellybean »

jtmtpleasant

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2015, 08:51:39 AM »
"The only thing that you mentioned was that Tim felt he could receive better help in the city.  I wonder if he truly meant it, or if it was a reason to leave the reserve, in order to assuage the family?"

I don't think I mentioned this. I never heard of this before. Maybe this is what the police have told media. I know there have been a few articles written up and I try to read as much as possible but could have missed this one.

Thanks for the help everyone. I really do appreciate it. Toronto police have been contacted but since Tim resided on Six Nations at the time of his disappearance, no other police agency is going to touch it.

As of today, nothing new to report. His mom is just frantic and feeling hopeless. I just told her it might be good to contact a lawyer at this point since police are not doing anything. Where she lives, the OPP do not have jurisdiction to look into this, as they told her repeatedly in a 3hr meeting.

So my advise to her at this point, is just to speak with a lawyer to see if they can put pressure on whatever police agency (maybe even all of them) to do something. I'm not familiar with the laws in this area of if there's even anything lawyers can do at this point.

So at this point, I won't be updating any more until I hear any new information. Thanks all for the help. Much appreciated.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 01:44:31 PM »
GOOD NEWS!!
Tim appears to be fine.  It appears the man does not want to have contact with his family at this time.  Police have located him, but the family is still looking for him.

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2015/08/05/police-say-man-located

NEWS BRANTFORD-BRANT
Police say man located
Expositor Staff
Wednesday, August 5, 2015 9:07:39 EDT PM
Timothy Sault (Submitted Photo)
Timothy Sault (Submitted Photo)

Bookmark and Share

Change text size for the story
Print
Report an error

OHSWEKEN-- Six Nations police say Timothy Sault, 28, missing from Six Nations for more than three weeks, has been located.

But his mother disagrees.

Dale Sault has been shown a photo of her son using a bank machine on Aug. 3 but she says something is wrong.

"This is very abnormal for him. He has a baby due any day and has never been like this. He doesn't drink or do drugs. My questions aren't answered."

Sault was to leave New Credit Wednesday evening to travel to an area north of Toronto where her son was spotted in order to post flyers.

She said she hopes her son will see them or someone will recognize him.

Police would only say that the missing man had been located but declined to specify where or how he had been spotted.

The photo of Sault using his bank card showed him at 9 p.m. on the holiday Monday, wearing sunglasses at the banking machine.

Sault's mother and other family members have been using social media and flyers to try and locate him.

Anyone who has seen Sault is asked to contact Six Nations police at 519-445-2811 or his mother at 289-880-4751.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 02:45:00 PM »
The article above is from August 5th. Perhaps by now he has contacted his mom.

I realize that adults are allowed to be missing, however the fact that people choose to disappear from sight without at least contacting someone to let them know they are ok, never sits with me well. This kind of thing wastes many valuable resources and man hours that could be spent on real missing persons cases.