Author Topic: Timothy SAULT - 28 - Last Seen - July 13, 2015 - Ohsweken, Ontario  (Read 7949 times)

jtmtpleasant

• View Profile
Please share with your contacts. He's been missing for over 2 weeks now and family says this is out of character for him. Six Nations Police are refusing to treat him as a missing person and therefore, little investigation is being done even though he is at-risk, vulnerable and the fact this is out of character of him should be reason enough to treat him as a Missing Person.

SAP

Re: Timothy SAULT - 28 - Last Seen - July 13, 2015 - Ohsweken, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 01:46:28 PM »
http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2015/07/28/concern-over-mans-whereabouts

OHSWEKEN-- Six Nations police say Timothy Sault is "overdue" but his family thinks he's just plain missing.

The 28-year-old New Credit man has been gone from Ohsweken since July 13 when he signed himself out of a shelter there and said he was heading to a Toronto shelter.

But after more than two weeks of not hearing from him, his mother is growing frantic.

"Normally, if I don't know where he is, his sister knows or someone in the family knows," Dale Sault said Tuesday.

"Yes, he talked about going to Toronto but he often did because he liked the feel of a big city."

Timothy Sault has two young children at home in Ohsweken and a third about to be born in just a few weeks.

"He just doesn't do this," said his mother.

She said that her son was at the shelter in Ohsweken because it gave him immediate access to some counselling and programs that he thought would be helpful.

The family has been peppering the area and social media with Timothy's photo and description in hopes someone will come forward with information.

Meanwhile, Six Nations police Staff Sgt. David Smoke said Sault can't be considered missing since he seems to have left the reserve on his own volition.

"He signed himself out of a shelter and we believe he was heading to Toronto. He's considered overdue as opposed to missing because he's an adult male and he left on his own."

Smoke noted that Toronto police have been notified.

"We would like him to call his family and let them know he's OK."

Timothy Sault is 5-foot-11 and about 210 pounds. He is neat in appearance, smiles a lot, is outgoing and "always wears jewelry," said his family.

He has a tattoo on his left forearm that says "Baby Boy" and a scar on the right side of his neck. His hair and eyes are both brown.

Anyone who has seen Sault is asked to contact Six Nations police at 519-445-2811 or his mother at 289-880-4751.

susan.gamble@sunmedia.ca

@EXPSGamble

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 03:10:44 PM »
As much as a family tries to help a family member, to save them from themselves, it is very difficult to do.

I hope that he reappears safely, and gets the idea of living in Toronto out of his head, and returns home.

Big cities are not kind to vulnerable natives. He needs to return to his family.

jb

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 10:00:44 PM »
Timothy Sault is pictured below.

Anyone who has seen Sault is asked to contact Six Nations police at 519-445-2811 or his mother at 289-880-4751.

click to enlarge picture.

jtmtpleasant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 09:24:40 AM »
This case is a little tricky, police did not report the full story mainly because they refuse to take this seriously.

Sault was living in and receiving treatment at a family assault center on Six Nations. He signed himself out the day he went missing. So right there, we have a vulnerable person and right there he should have been treated as a missing person.

Six Nations Police are far less then parr compared to off-reserve police forces when it comes to knowledge of what their jobs and responsibilities are.

Secondly, this is out of character for him to be take off and not tell anyone. Even more out of character to not call anyone and let them know he is ok. So again, this should have been taken more seriously.

Thirdly, at the time of his disappearance his girlfriend was 9 months pregnant and he was excited about the arrival and they made plans for him to be in the delivery room when the baby arrived. He's been missing for over 3 weeks now and his girlfriend had the baby last week and still no word from Sault.

Lastly, his mom is worried that a accident he had a few years ago which caused him amnesia may have led to his disappearance. Meaning, he may not have any clue of 'who' he is.

He has used his bank card twice in the time he has been missing. Once in downtown Toronto at a No Frills grocery store and another time in Markham which is north of Toronto at an ATM machine.

Again, Sault is not the type to take off and not tell anyone where he is going, why he left or to not let anyone know that he is ok. According to his family, he is always smiling and friendly.

His last location was last week in Markham. If any readers in the area, please keep an eye out for him. Other then that, I will keep you all posted if I hear anything new.

SAP

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 06:33:50 PM »
Is it possible he would remember his pin number if he slipped into amnesia? This is a very odd case.

eta: Has it been proven it was Timothy using the bank card in Markham? Were police able to get the surveillance video from the bank? I  hope someone well meaning is able to find him before he runs into people with ulterior motives.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 06:59:28 PM by SAP »

2soccermom

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 06:57:03 PM »
Thanks, jtmtpleasant, for that info.
Hoping for a good outcome for Timothy. A new baby -- this should be a joyous time for everyone. I send my best wishes that his girlfriend, especially, and mother, family and friends can stay strong at this difficult time, and that LE will designate the resources to make searching for Timothy a top priority.

SAP, I know what you mean about how unusual this seems; in response to your Q, I do think it is very possible. Amnesia as I understand indeed works in odd ways. People don't lose ALL of their memories; they know how to function and retain many kinds of useful knowledge, even memories. I think many theories espouse the "trauma" principle -- this can include emotional damage, where the psyche splits off and "forgets" in order to protect the individual from experiences or information or memories that can  be harmful to the self (and yet it is not only these wounding memories that may be lost). An individual might remember their first name and that they played sports; they may not recall a spouse....  There are also of course physical forms of damage to memory, which I think is intimated in Timothy's mother's reference to the former accident.

bumping for Timothy. A best-case scenario could be that he is experiencing amnesia, yet functioning in an every-day way and is safe and well. But even if so,  as a vulnerable subject, it is urgent that he be located and returned to a place where he can remain safe. I am keeping Timothy and his family in my thoughts, and hoping for good news soon.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:01:32 PM by 2soccermom »

jtmtpleasant

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 12:32:54 PM »
I don't know a lot about amnesia. Well I know nothing actually but I would think that he can still remember his PIN. I watched a show on missing people about 6 months ago and that particular show was about this girl who lived in Michigan. Her car was found outside a store, keys left in the car. The police initially thought she may have been the victim of foul play and they launched a ground search of her in the area and were even questioning her neighbours in regards to her disappearance.

Turns out she was located maybe a few weeks or even months (can't remember) down in Arkansas or one of the southern States. I believe she got amnesia somehow, hitchhiked down there and not sure what she did when she got there but someone ended up taking her to the police station and the good work of a detective linked her to the missing person case in Michigan. Thank goodness she returned safely to her family.

But this is an interesting case. As of last night, there's nothing new and everything is at a standstill according to Sault's mother.

Police did in fact obtain surveillance at the ATM where Tim used his bank card in Markham so we can say fore it was him. But for the other time a week before that, his bank card was used, we haven't seen the surveillance from that store so we don't know if it was him but I am assuming so.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 01:08:44 PM »
Quote from reply # 1 (newsarticle)

Meanwhile, Six Nations police Staff Sgt. David Smoke said Sault can't be considered missing since he seems to have left the reserve on his own volition.

"He signed himself out of a shelter and we believe he was heading to Toronto. He's considered overdue as opposed to missing because he's an adult male and he left on his own."

Smoke noted that Toronto police have been notified.

"We would like him to call his family and let them know he's OK."

This is a very standard reply from all police forces regarding a missing adult. This person has not committed a crime and are not wanted by police. As you know, and adult can disappear of their own choosing, and of course they cannot be forced to return home. And of course the police put out a public plea for Tim to call his family.  This is all that they can do at this time.

This makes it very difficult for family, who sit at home and worry themselves sick.

jmptpleasant; Yes, I too saw that program on the woman missing (amnesia).  It was fascinating, and joyful that she was located. In her case, no one could figure out how she survived, as her bank card and credit cards were not used.  To this day, it is a mystery.
It was reported that she was under prolonged stress prior to her disappearing, and it was felt that this had something to do with it.

Perhaps this may be the case with Tim. (a wife, children and another on the way). Even if amnesia is not involved, he was only 28 and perhaps could not cope with his responsibilities.

You did note that he was receiving treatment at a family assault center, and am wondering if he was involved in family violence.  If so, perhaps he felt that it would be best for all concerned if he removed himself from the reserve. I don't know this of course, but it is just a possible explanation.

I hope he has a change of heart, returns home, and continues on with his therapy.

Please continue to keep in touch.

JB

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:16:08 PM by jellybean »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 05:03:43 PM »
I'm Thinking that Tim got cold feet on becoming a father.  The police say it's him on the banks CCTV...so at least he seems safe.
Hopefully he will think better of his actions and come home to a forgiving family..

jtmtpleasant

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 11:43:07 AM »
He was already a father before he disappeared. He has 2 other children with a different woman. He had visitation rights every week to see them, spent as much time with them as he possible could and never missed a visit.

He hasn't seen his kids now in almost a month and his family says he would never put his children through this much worry of not knowing where their father is.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 03:09:23 PM »
He was already a father before he disappeared. He has 2 other children with a different woman. He had visitation rights every week to see them, spent as much time with them as he possible could and never missed a visit.

He hasn't seen his kids now in almost a month and his family says he would never put his children through this much worry of not knowing where their father is.

Just because he hasn't done this before, does not mean that he would not do it. There has to be a first time for everything.  My heart goes out to his children.  They are the losers in all of this.

Hopefully, he will miss them, and return home.  Fingers crossed!! 

jb

SAP

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 05:36:21 PM »
It is true, that as an adult, Timothy has a right to be missing if that is what he desires. I do hope police have been able to locate him and at least question him to make sure he does not have a medical issue with memory loss. If he does he may need encouragement to seek proper care, but if he just wants some time out for some reason, police also honor that request.
It has happened before, I believe in Saskatchewan where a missing person was found by police and since he didn't want anyone knowing his whereabouts, all police could do was let family know he was safe and well. 

jtmtpleasant

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 10:52:02 AM »
Nothing new as of Monday August 17. Timothy is still missing. I think the biggest mistake law enforcement and such others make, in terms of missing Indigenous persons, especially women though, is that the person 'wanted' to be missing, assumptions that they are missing because that is what they want, probably out partying and runaways is the typical responses Indigenous families get from law enforcement. And in many cases, these people are still missing today, after 2, 5, 10, 15, even 20 years. Sometimes it takes that long before police finally rule foul play suspected.

Trying really hard here to not point fingers, I just wish these circumstances were taken more seriously especially when it comes to First Nations people, especially those who are/were at-risk and vulnerable at the time of their disappearance.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 11:45:26 AM »
especially those who are/were at-risk and vulnerable at the time of their disappearance.

Are the police aware of his vulnerability?  Do they know what his condition is that makes him vulnerable?  And why don't the reserve police make an effort to try and locate him in Toronto?

Many families, who are not of first peoples, also have vulnerable people who are missing out there, and we receive the same response from police - so you are not alone.  I know that it is not fair, that missing men are treated differently.

When a person is over 18 and by all appearances disappear on their own, it takes a lot of convincing by family members of any ethnic origin to have law enforcement understand that their relative is vulnerable, ie - through a mental illness or medical condition that requires medication for example, or has  a mental disability. There are I am sure other factors that police would consider as being vulnerable, but being inexperienced in a big city, as an example,  would not be one of them.

If there is proof that he is alive, such as using his/her bank card, with camera back up - then what can the police do, other than to ask family members to check shelters, salvation army, etc to try and locate him.  They also suggest hospitals and even jails.

I am not trying to be difficult, I am just pointing out to you that this family is not being treated any differently, at least by your accounts.

I know, the answers are not nice - and I know that his family must be worried sick. If they can get a few people from the reserve to start calling these places in Toronto, and leave word at the shelters that the family needs to talk to him to see if he is alright, this is a good beginning.  (Perhaps this has already been done by his family).

If it is of any help to you, in most cases, the person returns home, not the worse for wear, statistically speaking most do return home.  Let us pray that he picks up the phone and calls home.  I know that waiting is painful and nerve wracking - we get it, especially on this site.

We do care.
jb
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:53:42 AM by jellybean »