Author Topic: Dwayne Demkiw Missing from Edmonton- May 31/15  (Read 6642 times)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Dwayne Demkiw Missing from Edmonton- May 31/15
« on: June 15, 2015, 02:35:14 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/police-ask-for-help-in-locating-dwayne-demkiw-1.3105334

(Perhaps debbiec or someone can put up his picture?)

Police ask for help in locating Dwayne Demkiw

CBC News Posted: Jun 08, 2015 4:57 PM MT| Last Updated: Jun 08, 2015 4:57 PM MT

Edmonton police are trying to find a man who has been missing for a week.

Dwayne Demkiw
Dwayne Demkiw, 42, hasn't been seen since May 31. (Edmonton Police Service )

Dwayne Demkiw, 42,  was last seen leaving work near 142nd Street and 128th Avenue at 4 a.m. on Sunday, May 31.

His black, four-door Acura was found in southeast Calgary seven hours later.

On Sunday, police searched an area near Anthony Henday Drive and 184th Street as part of their investigation into Demkiw's disappearance.

Police are appealing to anyone who has any information to contact them.

Demkiw's disappearance is considered to be out of character so there are concerns about his well-being.

and - http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Missing+Edmonton+vehicle+found+burning+Calgary/11118812/story.html

www.tipsubmit.com/start/htm
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:40:14 PM by jellybean »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Dwayne Demkiw Missing from Edmonton- May 31/15
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 04:56:09 PM »
Police believe Dwayne Demkiw, 42, was last seen leaving his place of work in the area of 149th Street and 128th Avenue at approximately 4 a.m. on May 31, 2015. He was reported missing later that afternoon.

SAP

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 05:04:28 PM »
This doesn't sound good at all. I wonder if they were able to put out the flames in time to still get prints. Either he picked up hitch hikers or someone hopped in if his doors were unlocked.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 08:21:14 PM »
Thank you debbiec.  :)

He left work at 4 a.m and he was reported missing in the afternoon..... why was he reported missing so quickly?  I imagine by being reported missing, it meant that they called the police.
Usually, police will wait. 
Yes, he may have been car hi- jacked.  This is not very common though - is it?? He is a big guy.
May 31st was a Sunday.... usually the city slows down on Sundays.
I wonder if he made arrangements to pick someone up in his own car for a fee to drive them to Calgary. To earn some extra cash - under the table.
jb

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:17:55 PM by jellybean »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 03:03:53 PM »
I would imagine that when the Police found Dwayne's burning vehicle seven hours later, they tried to locate him.  Through phone calls, they must have realized no one knew where he was. 
If he had worked until four in the morning in Edmonton, why would his car be on fire in Calgary?

Those questions probably hastened the missing persons report.   Maybe they learned something from the McCann's disappearance.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »
I would imagine that when the Police found Dwayne's burning vehicle seven hours later, they tried to locate him.  Through phone calls, they must have realized no one knew where he was. 
If he had worked until four in the morning in Edmonton, why would his car be on fire in Calgary?

Those questions probably hastened the missing persons report.   Maybe they learned something from the McCann's disappearance.

Are you sure that you are not a cop Jobo? lol.  What you said, makes perfect sense!!
Thanks

jb
ps:  I have a feeling this case is a bit more complicated than what we may think on first impressions.

SAP

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 05:28:24 PM »
Yes makes perfect sense Jobo.

Dwayne was leaving an area that is mainly industrial and businesses, no housing. I imagine police will have been able to get footage from cameras from all the businesses in the area. They must all have cameras as the area would be pretty empty during the night.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 09:43:34 AM »
The following article, tells us quite a bit more about Dwayne.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/07/09/edmonton-homicide-asking-for-help-in-missing-man-case

City homicide investigators are asking members of the public to search their property for clues in the disappearance of a DJ.

Dwayne Demkiw, 42, has been missing since Sunday, May 31 and homicide detectives are leading the investigation.

"As we continue to investigate this file, investigators strongly believe that harm has come to Mr. Demkiw," said Det. Brian Robertson with EPS Homicide Section.  "We're asking the public who live in acreages west of the city and property owners who live along the Highway 2 corridor to check their property for anything unusual or suspicious and report it to police."

He is described as a bald, caucasian man who was last seen wearing a red-collared shirt and a tie.

Demkiw was last seen leaving his place of employment at 149 Street and 128 Avenue - which he lists on his Facebook page as Saint Pete's men's club -- around 4 a.m. and was reported missing later in the afternoon.

His 2002, black, four-door Acura 3.2 TL was found in southeast Calgary at 86 Avenue SE and Bonaventure Drive SW around 11 a.m. on May 31.

Homicide detectives combed the area of Anthony Henday Drive and 184 Street on Sunday, June 7.

On a Facebook page dedicated to finding Demkiw, friends posted Jimmy Buffett songs and birthday wishes on July 7.

Anyone with information ishould call EPS at 780-423-4567 or #377 from a cellphone. To submit a tip anonymously, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or visit at www.tipsubmit.com/start.htm.

catherine.griwkowsky@sunmedia.ca

He has a very concerned loving Mom and Dad who live in Saskatoon.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/parents-of-missing-edmonton-man-still-hope-he-s-alive-1.3145667

Demkiw's parents live in Saskatoon. His father said the past six weeks have been like a dream you can't awaken from, or rather like a nightmare.

"He's never been in trouble a day in his life," said Eugene Demkiw. "For something like this to happen is just so strange and bizarre, that it's just hard to believe sometimes."

He said his son worked "hauling mail" for Fed-Ex during the week, and drove a limousine on weekends.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:36:22 AM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 03:14:52 PM »
I wonder if there is any connectionwere found inside a luxury car last Friday night around 7:40 p.m. that was parked on the street near 173 Street and 11 Avenue SW.

Neighbours in the upscale subdivision Windermere said they were in shock after the discovery.
(later announced that the couple were shot to death)
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=7639.msg116750#msg116750

« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 03:28:38 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 11:17:30 PM »
Good Catch Long Gone:  Kudos to the Edmonton police for linking him to the murder.

I found this about Steadman.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/jason-steadman-awaiting-extradition-to-edmonton-has-troubled-and-violent-past-1.3700867

EXCLUSIVE
Jason Steadman, awaiting extradition to Edmonton, has troubled and violent past
Ex-wife once granted protection order after telling court Jason Steadman threatened to kill her
By Janice Johnston, CBC News Posted: Aug 01, 2016 8:00 AM MT Last Updated: Aug 01, 2016 8:00 AM MT

Accused killer Jason Steadman was a dead-beat father who refused to pay child support, a violent man who once threatened to kill his wife.

Now awaiting extradition from the United States to Edmonton, where he faces a first-degree murder charge, Steadman has a lengthy criminal record and a history of domestic abuse, according to court documents obtained by CBC News.

Those records paint a picture of the tumultuous and troubled life Steadman lived in Seattle, Wash., in the years before he fled to Canada.

Accused murderer of Edmonton man faces Seattle judge for extradition
U.S. judge orders extradition for accused killer of Edmonton limo driver
In September 2009, Steadman and his wife, Jennifer, were leaving their apartment to go to a store with their daughter when an argument broke out and Steadman began yelling at her.

Jennifer Steadman
Jennifer Steadman accused her husband of verbal and physical abuse. (Supplied)

"I tried to talk with him, at which point he wrapped his hands around my throat and choked me," Jennifer Steadman wrote three years later, while seeking a protection order from the court.

"He told me that if I said anything to anyone he would kill me and take our daughter. He also said he would do the same if I ever talked back to him again."

In March 2010, Jason Steadman was given a two-year jail sentence for sending threatening hoax letters to his former employer, and for another hoax that involved a a pipe bomb.

He was released on probation in September 2010.

In her court filing, Jennifer Steadman described other incidents of verbal and physical abuse. She wrote about being slapped in the face, having food, dishes, a bag of garbage, even a metal tape measure thrown at her.

Apart from the alleged violence, she struggled to make ends meet without financial help from her husband. In December 2011, he was ordered by the court to pay $910.56 a month in support payments.

Steadman declaration
A declaration of poverty written by Jason Steadman after he was ordered by the court to pay support payments to his estranged wife. (CBC)

"I am poor," Jason Steadman wrote in a response dated Jan. 23, 2012. "I'm attempting to get an education to support my daughter. I'm required to inform every employer that I am a convicted felon. I am required to inform every prospective employer that I mailed a threatening letter to my previous employer, and that I threatened my previous employer with a fake (hoax) pipe bomb."

Steadman said the bureau of prisons had found him a job for the 2011 baseball season, selling food and drinks at Seattle Mariners games. He was laid off in September 2011 but said he had been promised more work when the new season began in 2012.

On July 21, 2012, Steadman allegedly threatened his estranged wife while they discussed changes to the parenting plan for their young daughter. The encounter scared her so much she applied for a protection order. 

"I stated that he currently has supervised visits, and he was the one who chose not to see her or have anything to do with her for the past seven months," Jennifer Steadman wrote in court documents.

"He became irate and was yelling at me. He threatened me and made me fear for my daughter's and my own safety, because I know what he is capable of when he is angry or doesn't get his way."

'A threat to our daughter and myself'

She told the court Steadman had "a long-standing criminal record spanning 20-plus years. He is a threat to our daughter and myself. At any time he can become abusive and goes into unexpected rages."

The Superior Court of Washington for King County issued a temporary protection order in July 2012 that ordered Steadman to stay away from his wife and daughter.

The court record does not indicate if that order was ever made permanent.

Steadman soon became a wanted man in the United States. After he failed to show up for an appointment with his Seattle probation officer, a warrant was issued for his arrest on Aug. 3, 2012.

With a criminal record, a failed marriage, mounting debt and poor job prospects, ordered by the court to stay away from his wife and daughter, Steadman slipped into Canada sometime in September 2012, according to Edmonton police files.

Steadman, Aubrey-Maxwell
Left, the last photo of Aubrey-Maxwell. Right, the photo police believe Steadman took under under Aubrey-Maxwell's name for a piece of identification. (Supplied)

On Sept. 12, 2012, Steadman walked into an Insurance Corporation of British Columbia office with two pieces of non-photo identification that belonged to Robert Aubrey-Maxwell, Edmonton police say.

He obtained new photo ID and began to use the other man's name.

Everyone who encountered him in Edmonton over the next two and a half years knew him as Robert Aubrey-Maxwell. 

At some point, Steadman began a romance with an Edmonton woman.

After their relationship fell apart, the woman remained close to her former partner, Dwayne Demkiw. Steadman may have viewed Demkiw as a romantic rival and blamed him for the demise of his relationship.

Police allege that Steadman attacked Demkiw, 42, with a machete in May 2015. They say the motive may have been jealousy.

Dwayne Demkiw
Police believe Dwayne Demkiw, 42, was murdered when he left work early in the morning May 31, 2015. (Supplied)

It's not clear why Steadman decided to shed his fake identity last year and return to the United States. Sources have told CBC that Steadman used a Sea-Doo to cross the border by water from Vancouver to Bellingham, Wash. 

He turned himself in to U.S. marshals and was arrested on Nov. 12, 2015, on outstanding warrants for breach of probation. In December, he was sentenced to seven months in jail and was set to be released on June 11, 2016.

With the clock ticking, a detention hearing was ordered on June 10. The intent was to keep Steadman in custody while he awaited an extradition hearing on the first-degree murder charge filed in Edmonton.

CBC tried to interview Jennifer Steadman about her ex-husband. She responded with a text-message: "I do not wish to speak about my ex. Please stop calling me."

Her former husband remains in custody and will be sent back to Canada, under his real name, if and when the extradition paperwork is approved by the U.S. Secretary of State.

Steadman faces a possible life sentence.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 04:56:53 PM »
You have been busy, Long Gone :)
Thanks for the good news!

jb