Author Topic: PAULA STILES - HOMICIDE - Sherwood Pk Apr 15/15  (Read 24114 times)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: PAULA STILES - HOMICIDE - Sherwood Pk Apr 15/15
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2016, 12:29:56 PM »
quote Long Gone

Seems this was a planned killing .Shows that there are people that can carry out a murder then go about life without detection. They can also keep their mouths shut and never reveal anything to anyone.

How odd that the timing of her murder coincided with her daughters staying with relatives.
Who would know?
Someone knew! Perhaps a number of people who were close to the children knew!

Paula was preparing to make a dramatic change in her life that also included her children.
Hopefully, this may not have had an impact on anyone, at least not as much as outsiders could imagine.

It could have been a disgruntled ex co-worker.  The world runs in odd ways.

According to the news, The Edmonton City Police have taken the lead on this file, and they are working with other jurisdictions. I wonder if by doing this, law enforcement feel that they must spread out their investigation even further. 

Paula worked in Edmonton with an oil company. In addition, Edmonton is a central point for citizens who live in surrounding areas, especially, but not confined to, Sherwood Park.  Many come to Edmonton to work.

Right from the start law enforcement said that they had a list of possible suspects, and they would have to narrow it down.  So, Paula, who was loved by many was not exactly loved by everyone.  Perhaps they have already done that - and the suspects did not pan out or a particular one had an air tight alibi.

Whomever knows, is keeping a dark blood secret, and ---- if, in some way, they are close to the killer, they will continue to do so -

Regardless, whomever it is, he or she is carrying  a terribly unfair burden, and will be saddled with it for the rest of their lives.

What a terrible life sentence to carry - when he or she had nothing to do with Paula's murder.

Not even knowing who that person is, I feel very sorry for them.

To look at it, on the other side of the fence; if you knew who it was, and this person was a close relative, or a very dear friend or co-worker, would you turn them in -- especially, if you did not like and could not stand the victim?

That attitude could be behind it too!

JB
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:57:50 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2016, 03:22:31 PM »
quote Long Gone (LG)

Proof is absent , le have yet to uncover any. Le was hoping to find some video that would put a suspect in the vicinity that night and contradict that suspects statement... I fear this will become a cold case and the perp will carry the secret to the grave.

Highly possible - lack of witnesses to disprove a lie.  There is something similar in the Jolene Cote murder case of Spruce Grove - still unsolved!!

Not only were the police asking the public to check their home CCV's, but also if they heard any  sounds, within Sherwood Prk town.

quote RCMP
public areas in and around the Hamlet of Sherwood Park recorded between the hours of 11:00 p.m. of April 14th and 6:30 a.m. of April 15th.. Recorded images or sounds may provide assistance in this investigation that the owner may not be aware of.

The only sound that would carry any distance would be a loud motorcycle, or gun or rifle shots, in my amateur opinion.

JB

« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 03:33:03 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2017, 06:26:07 PM »
A REMINDER

It will be two years ago on April 14th or 15th, mid-week when Paula Stiles was murdered, in Sherwood Park.

Sherwood Park, a community of families, where it's cititzens live in peace and comparative safety. In fact Sherwood Park had the bragging rights of being the safest community in the Province of Alberta.

Her life was snuffed out while she was supposedly in the safety of her own home between the hours of 11 pm (14th) to 6:30 a.m (15th).

One would have thought that the autopsy could have narrowed down the time... but I guess not.

The person who murdered her, knew that her children were with family for the night, thus Paula would be alone, and without witnesses.

Since two years have lapsed, one can assume that any video's (if they existed) were looked at and studied by law enforcement. 

If they have anything to show to the public, this anniversary would be a good time to present it to the public.

There is a faint hope that someone will step forward with info that will break the case.

Paula deserves justice..... her life was not cheap.... ,,, her beautiful children paid the price by losing their mother.

jb

ps Her text messages to Romeo, and others.  Who is to say that she sent them?
It could be someone in her home sending them - No?

My reasoning being - Cops starting timeline at 11 pm - some texts from her sent after midnite.  Cops not counting them in their timeline. 

Cops not only interested in videos, but audio from Public places - [sounds]
Could it be rifle shot, or a loud motorcycle?

I am going with motorcycle.
These pesky things - do get people's attention - no matter time of day or night.
They are more than annoying........
Did Paula have a regular visitor who drove a motorcycle?
Not saying it was a motorcycle - but can't help but wonder.  First time I ever heard of cops being interested in sounds from public places regarding a murder. Public places includes streets. Doesn't it?

One would have thought this would have been solved by now - but obviously cops have run into a snag.

Let's hope someone talks!!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 10:33:33 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »
No further appeals from police.

They either have someone in their sights, or else they have given up?

jb

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 08:51:45 PM »

I am also wondering why this case remains unsolved and nobody arrested. I felt pretty confident early on. I think the most hopeful explanation is that LE needs a bit more evidence to make an arrest that will be successful in Court. Two years isn't that long if they have a strong suspect.

I am noticing that there are some ominous similarities in how police have investigated Paula and Sonia Varaschin investigations. Tunnel vision comes to mind, and hopefully this is not the case.

We know that LE zeroed in on Sonia's (on/off) boyfriend and the investigation fell off the tracks once he was cleared by DNA (per the bf). I suspect they did the same with Paula's boyfriend and her (separated) husband. In Paula's case, LE never felt the need to warn the public at all, and Sonia's investigators were sure that she knew her killer. That pretty much rules out LE thinking they were random murders.

It is obvious that LE would zero in on these men, and it is noted that none of them have been publically cleared by LE in either case, but neither have they been noted as POI or suspects, which seems to have become the protocol with most murders

Although with zero information released in Paula's case, I think it has a chance to be solved. LE hasn't considered a DNA sweep, as they did for Sonia. That could mean there is no DNA evidence, but it was reported that samples were sent to forensics for testing from the husband's property. Another unnamed property was also searched immediately. I also think it is a positive sign that LE hasn't felt the need to offer a reward at this time.

Good point JB about the "noise" question. Have you been creeping facebook accounts?  ;)

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2017, 08:57:58 PM »
Quote Have Faith

Good point JB about the "noise" question. Have you been creeping facebook accounts?  ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As usual, I do everything backwards.... I get a thought and then I go looking for it.
So, truth be told, did creeping "after the fact".
Sure enough - rifle lover, and motorcycle came up.
Both are great noise makers. :)
They have a tendency to bounce around and echo through out neighbourhoods.
But, it might have been something completely different.

Timeline we know has been set by police from 11 pm to 6:30 am.
Timelines given by witnesses differ. 
Timelines are screwed up.
Paula assisted with a Book report with daughter on the 14th. Kids not at home, as they were with relatives during her murder. These were school days.  Did Paula not go to work on the 14th,
 Nanny was  a live in Nanny, a foreign Nanny.

If Nanny was not there, where was she on that night?
Bf called by Nanny around noon on the 15th. But body was discovered at 6:30 am on the 15th.
Was it the Nanny who returned to the home at 6:30 a.m and discovered the body?
If so, why wait almost 5 hours to hysterically call bf to tell him to get over there. One would think she would have had some time to calm down between 6:30 am and noon. And why call the bf? And why did she not tell the bf that Paula was deceased, while on the phone?   

Question:
Did Paula have a serious meeting with someone and wanted girls and Nanny out of the home??

Q1 - Why were the kids not at home during a school nite?
Q2 - Where was the living in Nanny that night?
Q3 - Why was bf even  called by Nanny and asked to come over at noon?
Q4 - Who discovered Paula at 6:30 a.m?
Q5 - What were the sounds that police were looking for?
Q6 - Why was the file handed over to Edmonton City Police? She was murdered in RCMP jurisdiction.
Guesses - anyone?.

jb

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:49:32 AM by jellybean »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2017, 01:11:15 PM »
I certainly hope the police investigators have more than they are letting out per media, because what we have is a confusing mess of snippets.
Were the police trying to confuse the public for some reason? None of the info they did give per media makes sense. I know several police have already said that discussion forums were a detriment to cases sometimes.

Well my advice to them is ... "if you want co-operation, you have to give a little too". Not just confusing snippets. Giving the media confusing info may deter people from volunteering info that could be helpful. People might not offer info because they may think it doesn't fit with what has been given the public through media.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2017, 04:24:40 PM »
There is a killer out there who needs to be found. Add another one to the list who so far have "got away with murder"

We also have Jolene Cote from Spruce Grove.  Her killer has been going on with his life since her murder of 2011.  Still no arrest.

There are many more, but these two mothers come to mind.
Edmonton and area do not need it.
I was always afraid that Paula's would end up being unsolved like Jolene's case.
In Paula's case, there still is hope.

jb
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 06:23:12 PM by jellybean »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2017, 12:24:51 PM »
Does anyone else think that it is odd that Paula's boyfriend, the "love of her life" is not mentioned in her obit?  Her ex-husband is included.

I wonder what led LE to search her estranged husband's property.  It doesn't appear that her family had any issues with him, by including him in her obit.  MOO

For some reason I couldn't get audio on the bf's video.

BBM. Yes, I do, especially after all the gushing about the families meshing like the Brady bunch.
Many holes and questions. Police are stating the hours between 11 pm and 6:30 am, 14th to 15th and then media also claim Paula was found just before lunch. Which is it, 6:30 or just before lunch.
No mention of break in at all. Did Paula know the person and opened the door.
Paula quit texting late in the evening to help her daughter with a book report, so was that by telephone or skype because as is stated several times, the children were with relatives. Why would there be a need to send the kids to relatives late in the evening.
I am supposing that the Coroner has given the time of death as between 11 pm and 6:30 am because if the children were not at home, the nanny would have no need being there and discovered Paula deceased. There was also no need for the nanny to be there at noon, unless the children came home for lunch from school unless she was live in. If she was live in, would she not have found Paula sooner.

Odd wording by police or reporting by media.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 06:42:42 PM »
A perfect family.  So sad.... :'(

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/sherwood-park-neighbours-shocked-by-homicide-1.3036654

Sherwood Park neighbours shocked by homicide
Couple had what looked like 'perfect family' before they split last year, neighbours say
CBC News Posted: Apr 16, 2015 4:44 PM MT Last Updated: Apr 16, 2015 5:23 PM MT

Neighbours on a quiet cul-de-sac in Sherwood Park were shocked to learn the story of a family some called "perfect" took a tragic turn Wednesday, when a mother with three young daughters was found dead inside her home.

Strathcona County RCMP's major crime unit is investigating  the homicide after the woman's body was found Wednesday afternoon in the home on Foxhaven Court.

The couple who lived in the home split up last year, neighbours say.

"It's a sad story," said Kathy Van Esch. "It was a shock when we found out. We know the people very well. Three little kids, three little girls."

Christine Watkinson has lived on the street for 14 years and runs a day home there.

"I can't make sense of it," she said. "My kids couldn't sleep last night."

Van Esch said the dead woman had three daughters aged about 6 to 13. The parents separated last year, and the mother stayed in the house, while the father went to live on a farm outside the city.

"Both of them decided it was best to part," Watkinson said.

Before the split, they seemed like "a perfect family," she said. "Loved their kids, played with them outside all the time."

"Such nice people," Van Esch said. "They were always doing something with the children."

Both parents had busy jobs, Watkinson said.

"She worked long hours. The nanny was the primary caregiver."

Homes in the area are listed for about $500,000.

"People come to Sherwood Park because it's calm and quiet and not much crime," said Tyler Richardson, who lives down the street. "But at the same time, this could happen anywhere, at any time."

RCMP vehicles blocked off the cul-de-sac for much of the day Wednesday, while yellow police tape roped off one home.

An autopsy was completed on Thursday, and the medical examiner ruled the cause of death as homicide.

Police say they won't release information yet about how the woman died.

"It's tragic," said one neighbour who asked not to be identified. "It's heartwrenching. I see those three little girls all the time, for many years. I've watched them grow up.

"You don't know what goes on behind closed doors. To me, they were just the picture of the perfect family."

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:47:49 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »
Cops initial appeal to the public.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/04/21/rcmp-appeal-for-tips-in-sherwood-park-moms-slaying

RCMP are turning to the public to help solve the slaying of a Sherwood Park mom.

Strathcona County RCMP believe anyone who was near the home of victim Paula Stiles between 11 p.m. on April 14 and 6:30 a.m the following morning may have seen or heard something that could be of assistance.

Mounties are specifically hoping to find two teenagers who were skateboarding near the Foxhaven subdivision in Sherwood Park during that time span, and are also asking for any personal video recordings taken of public areas in and around Sherwood Park during that time frame.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/10/23/boyfriend-of-slain-sherwood-park-mom-hoping-for-break-in-the-case

Babiak had been dating Stiles for close to a year, and the two had recently looked at a house that could accommodate his two kids as well as hers.

He spent a week living at her house before leaving on Sunday, April 12, two days before her killing.

Babiak and Stiles texted back and forth until 12:04 a.m. that Wednesday. Everything seemed fine until he got a hysterical phone call from her live-in nanny around noon, telling him to come over.

Related: RCMP narrow down list of suspects in Sherwood Park slaying

RCMP said Stiles was slain in her Foxhaven Court home sometime before 6:30 a.m. that morning.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:59:29 PM by jellybean »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2017, 11:24:31 PM »
Thanks for posting more informative articles, JB.

RCMP vehicles blocked off the cul-de-sac for much of the day Wednesday, while yellow police tape roped off one home.

An autopsy was completed on Thursday, and the medical examiner ruled the cause of death as homicide.

Police say they won't release information yet about how the woman died.

Kirk called his brother from where this took place and told him Paula was murdered, the day before the medical examiner declared a homicide.
Are police in the habit of giving info out on the spot without verification?

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2017, 02:53:55 AM »
I'm wondering what the ex thought of the new boyfriend....and the fact that Paula and the new boyfriend were becoming quite serious to the point of possibly blending their families.
I too, find it odd that this boyfriend was not mentioned in the obit.....who was in charge of writing it?  The ex?
The timing too...the kids were not home..

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2017, 02:28:37 PM »
Jobo, I was wondering if the immediate siblings and mother of Paula did the obituary. Usually immediate family do that, especially since she was estranged from her husband.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:39:08 PM by Sap1 »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2017, 02:40:42 PM »
In my opinion, the perp is not about the Usual suspect, rather the Unusual suspect.