Author Topic: PAULA STILES - HOMICIDE - Sherwood Pk Apr 15/15  (Read 26224 times)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
PAULA STILES - HOMICIDE - Sherwood Pk Apr 15/15
« on: June 15, 2015, 12:01:56 PM »
http://www.albertapolicereport.ca/2015/04/17/strathcona-county-homicide-update-3/www.tipsubmit.com. You do not have to reveal your identity to Crime Stoppers, and if you provide information to Crime Stoppers that leads to an arrest, the recovery of stolen property, and/or a seizure of illicit drugs, you may be eligible for a cash reward.

Related Reports:

jellybean

• View Profile
Re: PAULA STILES - HOMICIDE - Sherwood Pk Apr 15/15
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 12:10:27 PM »
Lots of articles to post in order to bring this thread up to date.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/paula-stiles-homicide-police-sifting-through-videos-shot-in-area-1.3047699

Paula Stiles homicide: police sifting through videos shot in area

CBC News Posted: Apr 24, 2015 11:05 AM MT| Last Updated: Apr 27, 2015 5:56 AM MT

In the long, slow process to find out who killed Paula Stiles, RCMP investigators are now sorting through numerous videos and photos taken by people in the area on April 14 and 15.

"The investigators have been looking at that material," said  Insp. Gibson Glavin. "We're not expecting it to show a particular person. We're more looking for things that help identify activity or people around who might have witnessed something. We hope we might get something out of that."

Glavin said police have identified a "wide cast" of people who could have killed Stiles. They are working now to eliminate people from that list to help focus the investigation.

Police say they have heard reports that some teenagers were seen in the area around the time of the killing.

Glavin stressed that they are not suspects.

"We have some information that there may have been teenage skateboarders around that area too," he said. "And that they may have heard or seen something that they don't know the significance of. We hope that if we can identify them and speak to them briefly, we can find out whether or not that have something that could help us."

Stiles, 44, was killed in her Sherwood Park home April 14.

The mother of three had separated last year from her husband, Ken Haeberle. The couple had three young daughters aged 6 to 13.

RCMP spent Monday searching more than one property in Strathcona County in connection with the homicide.

That search followed another conducted over the weekend by about 20 RCMP officers on an another property in the area.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 12:15:17 PM »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 12:17:01 PM »
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/edmontonjournal/obituary.aspx?pid=174796111

STILES, Paula MarieIt is with a heavy heart that we announce the sudden passing of Paula Marie Stiles, formerly of Edson, AB. Paula's life was cut short on April 15, 2015 in Sherwood Park, AB.Paula is survived by her precious daughters Hunter, Peri and Blake, her mother Anita Stiles, her brother Brett (Cheryl) Stiles, her nieces Kaitlyn and Priya -
and nephew Logan of Edson, and her children's father, Ken Haeberle, former spouse; her aunts and uncles: Donald (Gail) Lonsberry, Leeroy (Lorraine) Lonsberry, Gaye (Val) Lonsberry, Linden (Sue) Lonsberry, John (Edith) Stiles, Allyson (Pak) Wong, Lauran (Jim) Murrie, Diana Brick, and Mariam Hills. Also to mourn her loss are many cousins and dear friends. Upon graduating from the University of Alberta with a degree in education, Paula started her career as a teacher in Edberg. She returned to NAIT where she completed her studies in Power Engineering. Paula was employed by Enbridge Pipelines for 17 years where she started as a control centre operator and worked her way to becoming the Control Centre Operations Training Supervisor. She was passionate about her job and took great pride in all aspects of her role. She truly loved creating positive change and enjoyed enriching those she worked with.The loves of Paula's life were her daughters. She cherished each of them deeply and ensured their unique and charming personalities radiated freely without inhibition. Paula's attention to detail was apparent in the lavish and grand birthday parties, the creative Halloween costumes and in every aspect of her children's lives. Paula was a positive, generous, thoughtful person who cared about family and her many friends. Paula liked to see them all happy. Paula cherished her time and memories at Bear Lake with her family and close friends. She was so looking forward this year to driving her new boat and water skiing with her daughters, just as her father had shared with her. Paula was predeceased by both of her fathers Clarke Lonsberry and David Stiles, grandparents: Jonas and Anna Garbincius, Jack and Madeline Stiles, Lloyd and Jessie Lonsberry, uncles: Ralph Stiles, Richard Stiles, Bob Hills, Wayne Brick, Aunt Barbara Petersen and cousin Shane Lonsberry.It is now that we must draw from the strength, hope and love that Paula had for us all.Funeral services for Paula Marie Stiles will take place on Friday, May 8, 2015 at 1:00 p.m. at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Edson, Alberta with Father Josilito Cantal officiating and interment will follow in Glenwood Cemetery, Edson, Alberta.Enbridge has assisted in the setting up of The Paula Marie Stiles Memorial Fund in support of her children. Donations can be made directly to any Bank of Nova Scotia in Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba.Donations can also be made to The Strathcona County Victim Services, 911 Bison Way, Sherwood Park, T8H 1S9 or to The Zebra Child Protection Centre, http://www.zebracentre.ca in memory of Paula Marie Stiles.To send condolences online, please visit our website at www.edsonfuneralhome.comThe Foothills Memorial Chapel - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/edmontonjournal/obituary.aspx?pid=174796111#sthash.MxWBqKJs.dpuf
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:20:43 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 12:24:16 PM »
It is said that Paula had posted on a Buy and Sell page early am hours of Apr 15./jb

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/have+this+happen+just+makes+sense+Still+charges/11137319/story.html

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 06:51:15 PM by jellybean »

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 04:24:35 PM »
Does anyone else think that it is odd that Paula's boyfriend, the "love of her life" is not mentioned in her obit?  Her ex-husband is included. 

I wonder what led LE to search her estranged husband's property.  It doesn't appear that her family had any issues with him, by including him in her obit.  MOO

For some reason I couldn't get audio on the bf's video. 

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 04:42:10 PM »
Have Faith

"For some reason I couldn't get audio on the bf's video."

Click on the speaker, as it was sitting on mute./jb

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 05:16:31 PM »
Thanks jb.  I've never seen a video that is set on "mute".   :)

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 07:33:18 PM »
It appears that they may  have an alarm system, note: sign posted in front of porch??

jb

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:16:26 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 10:10:46 PM »
I found this......

RCMP narrow down list of suspects in Sherwood Park slaying 

By Catherine Griwkowsky, Edmonton Sun 
First posted:  Thursday, April 23, 2015 05:18 PM MDT  | Updated:  Friday, April 24, 2015 07:52 AM MDT 

Mounties have narrowed down the list of suspects in the slaying of a 44-year-old mom in Sherwood Park.

Paula Stiles was found slain in her home at Foxhaven Court the morning of April 15 and investigators are trying to piece together what happened between 11 p.m. on April 14 and 6:30 a.m. on April 15.

RCMP Edmonton K-Division spokesman Insp. Gibson Glavin said the three children, the eldest of whom is 13, were with other family members and not at home at the time of the killing.

"The children were unaware of what had happened to their mother and were not in any danger," Glavin said. "They were with family."

A trust fund for Stiles' daughters has been set up with ATB Financial under the name "Paula Stiles Trust." The fund was fast-tracked and opened on Monday and community members have been responding.

Todd Babiak, the brother of Kirk Babiak who was dating Stiles at the time of her death, told the Sun of community members pitching in to help.

A local realtor has pledged $500 from future sales to the fund. Another woman has set up a Gofundme page to go towards the trust.

Meanwhile, RCMP are combing through video sent in by citizens who may have captured footage that could help capture the killer. Glavin adds that anyone else with surveillance video that may help with the case is asked to contact RCMP.

"We've had a tremendous response," Glavin said. "It's been extremely gratifying."

There may be been audio or visuals captured in the background that may be of interest to investigators, he added.

RCMP are still looking for two teenage skateboarders who were seen in the area at the time and who may not have been aware they may have seen something potentially significant.

Mounties executed a search warrant on a rural property east of Sherwood Park near Ardrossan belonging to Stiles' ex-husband Ken Haeberle that yielded evidence which is now being reviewed and analyzed.

RCMP are anticipating an update to the case on Friday.

Anyone with information should call Strathcona County RCMP at 780-467-7741.

Tips can be submitted anonymously to CrimeStoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or online at www.tipsubmit.com.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:15:40 PM by jellybean »

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 02:32:11 PM »
IMO, it appears that LE have been lucky and are close to solving this case.  I have questions that might as well be left unasked.  They aren't going to be answered.

From what we have read, Paula was a veritable dynamo.  How tragic that a monster ended her life, and left her children and family devastated.  I hope that LE can quickly bring her killer to justice.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 04:07:06 PM »
quote: "There may be been audio or visuals captured in the background that may be of interest to investigators, he added."

and -

"yielded evidence which is now being reviewed and analyzed.'

Could it be a particular vehicle found on the property, that was captured on camera?

Frankly, I am surprised and even a bit dismayed that this would be given to the public by the RCMP. This automatically points a finger to the ex, and he may be totally innocent.

After reading this, my being human, I automatically place him under suspicion.
But, experience of living in general, tells me that this may not be the case.

Any evidence found could have been planted, if not the vehicle.  It could be something discovered on a computer sent to the ex from the victim, or a telephone or text message, which could point them in a different direction.
As I said, I am very surprised that the RCMP would give out this information.

In the case of JC in Spruce Grove, I think the RCMP have their suspicions but can't prove it.
JMO. In that case, the RCMP said nothing during their investigation.

Why treat  both of these homicides differently by giving out this kind of information to the public?
Being mum in the Spruce Grove case, and giving out info in the other?
JB

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 04:35:14 PM by jellybean »

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 05:05:35 PM »
quote: "There may be been audio or visuals captured in the background that may be of interest to investigators, he added."

and -

"yielded evidence which is now being reviewed and analyzed.'

Could it be a particular vehicle found on the property, that was captured on camera?

Frankly, I am surprised and even a bit dismayed that this would be given to the public by the RCMP. This automatically points a finger to the ex, and he may be totally innocent.

After reading this, my being human, I automatically place him under suspicion.
But, experience of living in general, tells me that this may not be the case.

Any evidence found could have been planted, if not the vehicle.  It could be something discovered on a computer sent to the ex from the victim, or a telephone or text message, which could point them in a different direction.
As I said, I am very surprised that the RCMP would give out this information.

In the case of JC in Spruce Grove, I think the RCMP have their suspicions but can't prove it.
JMO. In that case, the RCMP said nothing during their investigation.

Why treat  both of these homicides differently by giving out this kind of information to the public?
Being mum in the Spruce Grove case, and giving out info in the other?
JB

jb--this is the first complaint that I've read about LE giving the public inside information in an unsolved murder investigation.  It is almost unheard of, and therefore, I have to trust that they have released this info for a good reason.  Let it play out--if the ex is innocent, he will be cleared, but in the meantime, LE are confident in putting out this info to the media.  Somebody is on their radar and I think we can guess who.  IMO they are looking for any tips that will add to their case.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 06:23:35 PM »
quote "RCMP Edmonton K-Division spokesman Insp. Gibson Glavin said the three children, the eldest of whom is 13, were with other family members and not at home at the time of the killing.

"The children were unaware of what had happened to their mother and were not in any danger," Glavin said. "They were with family."

This statement makes me wonder..... they were with family and not in any danger.

Reminds me of the Liknes murders.  It was an uncle to the child.

Just saying....

jb

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 07:52:42 PM »
quote "RCMP Edmonton K-Division spokesman Insp. Gibson Glavin said the three children, the eldest of whom is 13, were with other family members and not at home at the time of the killing.

This statement makes me wonder..... they were with family and not in any danger.

Reminds me of the Liknes murders.  It was an uncle to the child.

Just saying....

jb

This relates to some of the questions I have.  Paula's good friend Shellagh Belanger had been texting back and forth with Paula on that fateful April 15th.  SB said they texted "until Stiles went to help one of her daughters with a book report".  At 10:35 SB sent Paula a text and didn't receive a reply.  I am assuming that 10:35 is pm.  Paula worked during the day.  There is no record of the time that Paula and SB texted each other before Paula went to help her daughter with the book report, but I have to assume that it was after Paula returned home from work.

April 15th was a Wednesday.  Did Paula and her ex have an agreement that the kids went to his place on Wednesdays?  If so, they would have been picked up after Paula returned home from work, and the kids returned home from school.  They went to some relative's home, and if it wasn't the ex's house at a reasonable time, then it may have been a crisis situation.  Why would three kids not be home in bed on a school night?

But the bf's late night texts don't show any concern from Paula. Paula's bf has shown a few loving texts that happened back and forth with Paula from 11:48 to 11:55 pm on April 15. Based on these texts, there was no evidence that Paula was worried about anything.  We have to assume that Paula herself, actually replied to the bf's texts.

It is way too coincidental that Paula was killed when her children were known to be not at home.  The killer didn't want to traumatize the kids...which means that he cares about them.  Of course it could have been a random murder.  I think that LE are on top of it.