Author Topic: Ontario police find missing man had assumed identity of boy who died in B.C.  (Read 2707 times)

kathybarnes

• View Profile
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ontario+police+find+missing+assumed+identity+died/11074967/story.html

THE CANADIAN PRESS  05.21.2015

HALDIMAND COUNTY, Ont. - Police say a Caledonia, Ont., man who disappeared in 1992 took the name of a dead boy and lived under the assumed name until his death 20 years later.

James Scott Walton was reported missing after he failed to arrive for a scheduled visit with friends at Syracuse University.

His vehicle and personal effects were found near the airport in Buffalo, N.Y.

Ontario Provincial Police say they've discovered Walton had assumed the name of Michael Debourcier - a four-year-old boy who had died in a car crash in British Columbia - and moved to Toronto in 2000.

After Debourcier's death of natural causes in 2002, a friend worked with Toronto police in an attempt to locate next-of-kin but all attempts were unsuccessful, and the friend eventually hired a private investigator who found the link to the boy.

OPP, working with Walton's mother and the coroner, used DNA from "Debourcier" to determine his true identity was James Scott Walton.

Police say they are pleased to have provided some closure for Walton's family, but add there are still "many more questions than answers" in the case.

SAP

That is bizarre and interesting at the same time. At least his family have some closure as to what happened to their son but not why he did that. I wonder how many more people have done this sort of thing and it may never come to light until there is a medical crisis.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Obtaining a birth certificate of a deceased child or person is relatively easy, apparently.  It reminds me of Douglas Garland in the Liknes murders.

I had to order a birth certificate for my adult brother, and ordered it online.  For an extra $15.00 it was couriered  to me to my own address within 5 business days (guaranteed they said) I got it in 3 days.  We do not share the same last name nor address. (my brother asked me to do this for him, and I did)

It made me wonder at the time as to how slack our government is.  On the form, they do ask you your parents name, mothers maiden name and where they were born. One could answer do not know to Mother's maiden name (was never given) and do not know where they were born. In my case, we were able to answer all of their questions, but still way too easy. 

With a child, I doubt if the request is crossed referenced to death certificates.
Did I hear that newborn babies now get social insurance numbers as well??

JB

SAP

That could be bothersome JB, regarding obtaining certificates so easy. It must be true though as Garland did it and years ago I was involved in an accident. An elderly man backed into my car actually and I felt so sorry for him b/c he looked so rough for only 77 yo as his certificate showed. The lodge he was staying in, the girls knew him well and said he was actually 97 yo. His cert was fixed. I was his ninth victim that year.