Author Topic: Nicolle Hands - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg - October 2003  (Read 7576 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Nicolle Hands - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg - October 2003
« on: April 04, 2007, 01:10:53 AM »
Nicolle Hands

Nicolle Hands
The Homicide Unit is diligently working towards solving the homicide of 32 year-old Nicolle Hands that occurred during the early morning hours of October 2nd, 2003 when she was found stabbed and bleeding in her Mountain Ave. apartment. She succumbed to her injuries three days later, leaving behind three children ? two boys and one girl ? to mourn her loss.
During the course of their investigation, homicide detectives have determined that the following male is a person of great interest, as he may possess information vital to the solution of this case.

The male is described as: Aboriginal in appearance, 30-35 years old, 5'9? to 6'0? in height, slim to average build, with dark hair collar to shoulder length wearing large framed prescription glasses. This male is believed to have been known to the victim.

If you have any information about this case, please contact Crime Stoppers at 786-TIPS (8477), or e-mail Sgt. Al Bradbury and Det. Jon Lutz of the Cold Case Homicide Unit.

http://winnipeg.ca/police/Unsolved_Cases/Homicides/2003_hands.stm

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Nicolle Hands - Unsolved Murder - Winnipeg - October 2003
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 06:59:11 PM »
homicide detectives have determined that the following male is a person of great interest, as he may possess information vital to the solution of this case.

Wonder if he is stlil the POI?

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 09:50:41 PM »
Chris; you would think they would have a better description of the POI by this time.  I mean all they gave is so broad, it could be thousands of guys.  If anybody knew he was know to Nicolle, you would think they could be enticed to dig up a description of him.  hope so!

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 08:31:58 PM »
Lost, it is always the same isn't it?  The sketchy description of the POI.  What a waste of effort. I suppose they would give the same description of Donald Duck!!  It can be so frustrating at times. I mean, why even bother with a police announcement like that.
Here it is almost 7 years later, and nothing. My heart goes out to Nicole's children and her family.  Hopefully someone close to Nicolle will know of something helpful.

Shadow Girl

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 07:49:38 PM »
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/columnists/mother-keeps-waiting-for-arrest-in-2003-killing-160491815.html

Mother keeps waiting for arrest in 2003 killing

Daughter's downward spiral started when she moved here

By: Lindor Reynolds

Posted: 06/27/2012 1:00 AM

When her phone rang Monday morning, Eleanor Hands hoped it was the police. She's waited nine years for the news her daughter's 2003 slaying has been solved, that Nicolle Hands will no longer be among the scores of aboriginal Manitoba women whose deaths remain cloaked in mystery.

It was the law calling, in the shape of a social worker with the joint RCMP/Winnipeg police task force struck to delve into the cases of such women. She told Hands about the arrest of Shawn Lamb, now charged with second-degree murder in the deaths of Tanya Nepinak, Carolyn Sinclair and Lorna Blacksmith.

Their families now have the small, jagged comfort that comes with attaching a name and a face to the person who allegedly killed your child. For Hands, the interminable wait continues. The social worker was calling to alert her to the arrest and to see how she was coping.

And how is the Kingston, Ont., resident coping? As well as you'd imagine, considering the child she raised into adulthood fell into a pit so deep she couldn't see her way out, considering she had to tell the hospital to cut off her child's life-support after her stabbing, considering three children were left without a mother.

She talks about her loss without rancour, unfolding her daughter's life chapter by chapter. She and her husband, an Anglican minister, adopted Nicolle and her brother Peter when they were toddlers. They were aboriginal. Their new parents were not.

Hands says Nicolle took skating and singing lessons. She had a good upbringing, says her mom, and nothing could have predicted the end. She was a happy girl.

She was 29, a mother and studying to be a native case worker when she moved to Winnipeg to be near her father. He was in Stony Mountain Institution for molesting young students at the residential school where he once worked. That's when the downward spiral began.

"I know she was doing drugs," says Eleanor Hands. "She was in her apartment; somebody came in. The police figure he was sent in to rough her up a bit. She was stabbed three times."

She didn't know Nicolle was a sex-trade worker, although she's accepted that was likely the case. When Nicolle died, her children were nine, seven and 16 months old.

They live in Ontario now.

Eleanor Hands never recovered from her daughter's killing. She doesn't think anyone can.

"It's hard. I have good days and bad days. An arrest would help."

She says she's never felt guilty about her daughter's death and why would she?

"We gave her a good education and a good upbringing," she says, voice weary. "I didn't know what she was doing. I didn't know about the drugs. If I'd known, I don't know what I could have done."

Nicolle Hands was succeeding in life, right up until the day she moved to Winnipeg to be close to a father who betrayed other children. How quickly she succumbed to drugs and then the sex trade is unknown.

The facts are three children lost their mother and Eleanor Hands lost her child.

"I just wish whoever did it would find it in their hearts to go to the police station and give themselves up. Maybe someone who knows could snitch. I would gather the children and tell them the man who took mommy away is in jail."

Her voice is that of a much older woman. She raised her kids the best she could, wasn't part of her husband's crime and had every reason to believe her children would work out as well as any others.

It's been nine years since a killer got away with murder. She can only pray the police eventually get their man. She's waiting for that call.

lindor.reynolds@freepress.mb.ca

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition June 27, 2012 A5

jellybean

• View Profile

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 08:55:51 PM »
Nicolle Hands is pictured below.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 09:06:39 PM »
I am always shocked as to appearance, what is native and what isn't. Can't tell the difference.

She reminds me of myself, at her age,  except the eyes, mine are larger and my eyebrows although the same shape were darker.  Other than that ----she could be a close relative.

I am not native.

We have preconceived notions as to how a native person looks like.

When we see the word Native Missing  we turn away. They are lost in the shuffle of things.

We conjure up a different image.

WRONG!!

We have to smarten up, and think in terms of a woman missing. Leave the heritage out of it. JMO

JB
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:28:12 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 10:55:51 PM »
The last name of Hand, although her last name of Hands  is given,, is very British. The Hand name is very well known in Alberta, and well respected. Just thought that any reader would like to know.

In the heritage of things, many natives carry white names because they are part of the white population and adopt the name of the white father.  There are natives who do not have white heritage, who adopt name of white people because they are finding it impossible to move forward within our society with the native names.

Just to set the record straight, there are many Canadians over centuries whom have changed their family name to make it more readable and thus we have many last names without any historical traceability

JB :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 11:21:42 PM by jellybean »