Author Topic: Jessica Rae NEWMAN - 24 - Murdered - March 10, 2015 - Calgary, AB  (Read 96677 times)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Jessica Rae NEWMAN - 24 - Murdered - March 10, 2015 - Calgary, AB
« Reply #255 on: March 11, 2016, 02:17:37 PM »
Jessica was murdered on March 10, 2015. One year ago.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 27, 2016, 11:16:39 AM »
Kevin Rubletz to stand trial on murder charge in Jessica Newman's death
Trial date will be set in August

By Meghan Grant, CBC News  Posted: Jun 20, 2016 1:08 PM MT| Last Updated: Jun 22, 2016 3:54 PM MT

The man accused of murdering 24-year-old Jessica Newman — who was missing for two months in 2015 before her body was discovered — will stand trial on second-degree murder.

It comes after a six-day preliminary inquiry was held for 31-year-old Kevin Rubletz, who had been in conflict with the victim over the custody of their son.

The evidence presented at the preliminary inquiry is protected by a publication ban.

The case started out as a missing persons investigation.

Newman was last seen on March 10, 2015, in the southeast community of Forest Lawn. A work crew discovered her body in a ditch in a rural area north of the city on May 4.

A trial date will be set on August 19.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/kevin-rubletz-jessica-newman-murder-trial-1.3643827

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 29, 2016, 09:43:10 AM »
Why would Jessica get in a car with this man??? I just don't understand these females who are going through custody battles and if they know he is violent,  just keep away and get a restraining order. It doesn't help much, but then you can call the police and say he is bothering you. And at these times, a woman filing for custody should not be walking alone at night or be in any place by herself, always be accompanied by someone until the matter is dealt with in court. So many times this has happened, it is more of a control issue then anything. If the person loved their children, they certainly would not resort to murder. It doesn't make sense to murder the mother of your child/children. Because you definitely will not get away with it. A senseless loss of a lovely woman, for nothing. Now the child will have no mother and no father. What a pathetic future he has set for this little child. To grow up knowing his mom was murdered and his father will serve life in jail for it. God bless that child and he/she will need a life time of love and caring. It will be a heartbreak for the little child right now, because he lost his mom and will probably never forget the pain of the loss.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 29, 2016, 12:14:06 PM »
Calling police does no good because they can't do anything until it's too late. Sure they can keep an eye on the perp but that is all. A restraining order is a piece of paper and in the heat of the moment it really does no good and costs a lot.
Finally this comes to trial; it's been a long wait for all involved. I hope it's a quick trial so family can finally put it all behind them and start to heal.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 11, 2017, 09:58:35 PM »
Trial to start in the fall of 2017.

jb

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 06, 2017, 10:38:02 AM »
November 6, 2017 4:00 am   Updated: November 6, 2017 5:22 am   

Jury trial to begin Monday for man accused of killing Calgary mother Jessica Newman

Nancy Hixt    
Crime Reporter  Global News

A jury trial will begin Monday for the man accused of killing Calgary mother Jessica Newman.

Kevin Rubletz, 33, is charged with second-degree murder.

READ MORE:  Judge reserves decision in bail hearing for man accused of murdering Jessica Newman

Newman was Rubletz?s ex-girlfriend and the mother of his child.

She disappeared in March 2015. Eight weeks later, the 24-year-old?s body was found in a ditch northeast of Calgary.

Rubletz was arrested June 26, 2015. He?s been in custody ever since.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3842773/jury-trial-to-begin-monday-for-man-accused-of-killing-calgary-mother-jessica-newman/

Photo of Kevin Rubletz with murder victim Jessica Newman.
Submitted

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 24, 2017, 07:42:41 PM »
Kevin Rubletz has been found guilty of second degree murder in the death of Jessica Newman. Sentencing will take place in January.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 25, 2017, 03:15:36 AM »
Thanks for updating us Debbie. I wonder why he would choose "jury" for a case that was so public. Perhaps his lawyer is already preparing an appeal and will try to use "tainted jury" in the appeal?

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 25, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »
Why oh why, could'nt this couple continue on in sharing their son through visitations?

So often, we see mother's murdered when they go for full custody of their children.

This is not to say that Jessica was ready to be a full time Mother, and perhaps the judge would not have given her full custody.

Now, the little boy no longer has a Mother, and will possibly lose his Dad.

This little boy, has lost so much!!

As he grows up, this sad story will eventually become full knowledge to him, and he will carry this around within him for the rest of his life.

JB
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 09:22:39 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 15, 2018, 12:37:23 AM »
In reading news articles, rather than put them up -

Jessica was stabbed 75 times -

Kevin was driving his mother's van -His mother and step father took the van to a business to have it demolished.   The police intercepted. 
The amount of blood was horrendous, and it looked as though someone had attempted to clean the van. The blood belonged to Jessica.

Defence tried to point fingers at Kevin.s  mother and stepdad as the killers.

He was found guilty of 2nd degree, sentencing was to be in January of this year, but no luck in locating as to how many years he received.

I have to correct one of my postings, I thought Jessica was going for full custody.  She was not.  She was going for 50% custody.

jb
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:09:21 PM by jellybean »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 15, 2018, 11:16:10 AM »
He was found guilty of 2nd degree, sentencing was to be in January of this year, but no luck in locating as to how many years he received.
I thought it was originally stated that sentencing would take place in January, as well JB.

Rhonda Taylor (Jessica's Mom) says that sentencing will be March 1st.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 15, 2018, 03:12:01 PM »
I thought it was originally stated that sentencing would take place in January, as well JB.

Rhonda Taylor (Jessica's Mom) says that sentencing will be March 1st.

Thanks debbiec.  I could not find it.  March 1st is not too far away.

jb

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 02, 2018, 12:34:45 PM »
'Cold-blooded' killing of Calgary mother nets murderer life sentence with no parole for 17 years
Kevin Rubletz was convicted by a jury of 2nd-degree murder in the death of Jessica Newman, 24

By Meghan Grant, CBC News  Posted: Mar 01, 2018 3:29 PM MT| Last Updated: Mar 01, 2018 3:39 PM MT

In sentencing Kevin Rubletz to life in prison Thursday for fatally stabbing his former girlfriend 75 times, the judge described the killing as a "savage attack [involving] almost unbelievable gratuitous violence."

Jessica Newman's body was found in a ditch two months after she disappeared. Rubletz, her former boyfriend and the father of her son, was convicted of second-degree murder last November.

Court of Queen's Bench Justice Glen Poelman called the killer's actions "cold blooded" as he handed down a life sentence with no chance of parole for 17 years.

Kevin Rubletz guilty of second-degree murder in death of Jessica Newman

After stabbing her 75 times, Rubletz dumped Newman's body in a ditch near Balzac "to be left to the ravages of the elements, insects and scavenging elements," said Poelman.

Newman was last seen in March 2015 and it was two months before her remains were discovered.

"Six agonizing weeks went by before they found Jessica in a ditch, tossed away as if she was nothing," Newman's mother, Rhonda Steward, said in her victim impact statement delivered Thursday.

"I have more sleepless nights than not. I stare into the darkness, and I question everything I could have done as a mother to prevent this."

Rubletz's second-degree murder conviction comes with an automatic life sentence. On Thursday, prosecutor Shane Parker argued Rubletz should have to wait 17 years before applying for parole, while defence lawyer Brendan Miller proposed a 12 to 15 year parole ineligibility.

Wishes cannot rewrite the past

The jury heard evidence Rubletz and Newman had a good relationship even after they broke up and were due in court the day after she disappeared so they could alter their custody arrangement and allow Newman more access to her son.

On March 10, 2015, Rubletz picked her up from work and the two had coffee with a plan to review her Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) papers ahead of the family court hearing the next day, when the 24-year-old mother was planning to apply for 50 per cent custody of their son.

Although he told police he dropped Newman off after their coffee date, she never made it home again.

A forensic expert testified a "bloodletting" event had taken place in Rubletz's van and that Newman's DNA was found inside.

At the time of her death, Newman and Rubletz were seeing other people, but the on-again, off-again couple had also been exchanging messages of "romance, sex and love" between December 2014 and March 2015.

"How I wish that Kevin had been late picking her up from work that night, and that Jessica had gone home without him," said Steward.

"Sometimes I wish that his van had broken down earlier that day, or I wish a million other things, useless things, hindsight things, that never happened."

"Wishes cannot rewrite the past, they can only reinforce the pain of losing Jessica."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/kevin-rubletz-jessica-newman-murder-sentence-1.4558168