Author Topic: Atsumi Yoshikubo | 45 | Japanese Tourist Missing in Yellowknife  (Read 3777 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Atsumi Yoshikubo | 45 | Japanese Tourist Missing in Yellowknife
« on: January 28, 2015, 07:07:18 PM »
Ok, this is confusing to me. Atsumi Yoshikubo, 45, is a doctor from Japan who is missing, no evidence of foul play, planned to become a missing person, and is presumed dead. They say she had taken steps to avoid detection.  So what does this mean? Could she have left a suicide note and said she had taken steps to go undetected - because if that was the case and no body was found, it would appear she may just want to go missing. Why do they believe she died?

Atsumi Yoshikubo, missing woman in Yellowknife, presumed dead

SAP

Re: Atsumi Yoshikubo | 45 | Japanese Tourist Missing in Yellowknife
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 01:18:09 AM »
I guess police here don't want to say anything about the note however Japanese media have spoken out:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/atsumi-yoshikubo-wrote-a-suicide-note-before-leaving-japan-1.2825863

Excerpt:
Two Japanese media outlets have reported that Atsumi Yoshikubo wrote a suicide note before she left Japan for the Northwest Territories.

So sad when this is the only alternative.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 04:23:19 PM »
I find this so unusual. A person that studied to be a doctor, spent all of those years and decides she's going to kill herself in Canada. An insult to Canadians. Stay in your own country, if you want to do yourself in. There are wilderness places that are very beautiful in Japan. Using our resources to find you, using our money to stress our police officers and people in general. I find it very hard to take this kind of stuff. If they knew in her homeland she was going to do this, why let her leave. If there is no body, how do they know that she is gone. People have disappeared before and left notes.  I feel sorry that she did that to her family. A selfish act to her family and friends. She wanted to be remembered or she would not have gone through all of that trouble to disappear, so she wanted attention, that she didn't get in life, I guess. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

PandaBearKitty

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 09:16:44 PM »
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/items-found-near-yellowknife-belonged-to-missing-japanese-tourist-rcmp-1.2545279

Items found near Yellowknife belonged to missing Japanese tourist: RCMP

The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, September 2, 2015 5:30PM EDT
YELLOWKNIFE -- RCMP say personal items found in the woods outside Yellowknife belonged to a Japanese tourist who disappeared from the area last fall.
But police say human remains found with the items must still undergo forensic tests that could take months to confirm an identity.
Atsumi Yoshikubo, who was 45, was last seen Oct. 22, 2014, as she walked along a highway north of the city.

She was reported missing after she failed to check out of her room at the Explorer Hotel.
A few weeks later, RCMP said she planned to disappear into the wilderness and took steps to avoid being found.
Insp. Matt Peggs, commander of the Yellowknife RCMP detachment, says no further information on what items have been recovered will be released.
"Sufficient evidence exists for police to determine without a doubt that the items belonged to Atsumi Yoshikubo," RCMP said in a release Wednesday.
"Yellowknife RCMP is aware of the public interest in the case and the concern of the families who are hoping for answers in this discovery."
Mounties say Yoshikubo's family and the Japanese consulate have been notified.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 09:25:09 AM »
I did hear this on the news down here. It didn't say that her body was found, but said items that belonged to her had been found. Sad for her family and it is too bad she did not seek help for her depression. If indeed that is what she did, take her own life. My condolences to her family and those she left behind.  :o :o :o :o :o :o

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 07:21:31 PM »
CBC special on this case at 9 pm tonight Alberta time.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/atsumi-yoshikubo-missing-tourist-yellowknife-documentary-geoff-morrison-1.4005742

A filmmaker is promising more details on the case of Atsumi Yoshikubo, a Japanese tourist whose 2014 disappearance sparked an extensive search in Yellowknife before police received information suggesting she'd planned to disappear all along.

Yoshikubo, 45, was a doctor who liked to travel solo.

On Oct. 22, 2014, security footage showed Yoshikubo leaving her Yellowknife hotel at 9:15 a.m. with a backpack and a bag, dressed in a pink coat. She was last seen walking along Highway 4 away from the city.

Atsumi Yoshikubo, captured on a security camera outside the Explorer Hotel in downtown Yellowknife in October 2014, was last seen wearing a pink coat, a pink hat, black pants and white shoes. (Yellowknife RCMP)

A week after her hotel reported her missing, RCMP called off the search and said Yoshikubo was presumed dead. At the time RCMP said they had information that she "planned to go into the wilderness alone and become a missing person" and that she had taken steps to avoid detection.

Confused by the RCMP's cryptic statements, volunteers questioned the decision to stop the search and continued efforts to locate Yoshikubo, well into the summer of 2015.

That was before Japanese media outlets reported that Yoshikubo had written a suicide note before she left Japan.

In August 2015, a hiker stumbled across bone fragments and items belonging to Yoshikubo. DNA testing later confirmed the bone fragments belonged to Yoshikubo.

Geoff Morrison, who directed The Missing Tourist, said his never-before revealed information will aid in adding greater closure and help people understand "really what happened in the end."

"It was quite rewarding to find that," said Morrison.

"A lot of the new information I learned was towards the very final stages of this documentary."

Atsumi Yoshikubo
Atsumi Yoshikubo visited a gift shop in Yellowknife in the days before she disappeared. This is one of the images released by police after she went missing. (Submitted by Yellowknife RCMP)

"I think what really compelled me more than anything was the difficulty in finding closure," he said.

"Some of the facts were grey, or unreported. Some of the messaging the RCMP used was quite cryptic in describing Atsumi Yoshikubo's activities and what had happened."

In the film, Morrison interviews the lead investigator of the RCMP in Yellowknife.

Media placeholderPlay Media
Atsumi Yoshikubo at Yellowknife visitor's center0:56

'Nervous' travelling to Yellowknife and Japan

Morrison said he felt "a little bit nervous" coming to Yellowknife for the film.

"To come to Yellowknife for the first time, and start poking around and asking questions particularly as an outsider, it was difficult."

Although he encountered a spectrum of voices, he said the response was overwhelmingly positive.

What he discovered was that people in Yellowknife "care deeply" about visitors.

"I think this story really affected people in Yellowknife. People really cared about this person," he said.

Morrison also travelled to Japan to interview Yoshikubo's family, friends and even former patients.

atsumi yoshikubo highway
This is the old section of Highway 4 where Yoshikubo was seen last. (Submitted by Geoff Morrison)

"Everyone had very fond memories of her and spoke of her being a very smart and caring and diligent doctor who cared deeply about her patients."

A personal attachment to Yoshikubo

Morrison says the project became "a very peculiar journey" for him.

"It's not hard to develop an attachment to someone who is not safe," he said.

atsumi yoshikubo
Yoshikubo was a doctor in Japan. Morrison says he interviewed one of her former patients. (Submitted by Geoff Morrison)

"My partner kind of pointed out to me a few months ago when we started editing. She's like, 'Jeez, I sense you really want to protect her.'"

This was a first for Morrison, who says he's never been emotionally involved in a project before.

"The film ends on a message of hope," he said.

Morrison says his team is working on a Japanese translation for the film for Yoshikubo's family in Japan.

The film will air Thursday at 9 p.m. on CBC-TV, or you can watch the full episode later online on CBC's FirstHand.

Yellowknife RCMP say foul play not indicated in disappearance
Watch Atsumi Yoshikubo at Yellowknife visitor's center
With files from Loren McGinnis

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 10:48:52 PM »
Watch Atsumi Yoshikubo at Yellowknife visitor's center

What is the purpose of this..... what is the message?
What would she think of this?
Where is the dignity in her memory in all of this?
Being shown at the Visitor's Center.  Will they sell popcorn? Great for tourists?

I don't understand it .  The Dr. committed suicide.  Let her rest in peace.

jb
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:55:19 PM by jellybean »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 11:21:03 PM »
I don`t know why they would have a video at the tourist centre. It was a case that got the world interested, and it was a sad ending. Atsumi`s wishes were to be left in Canada so she was buried in Yellowknife. She was estranged for many years from her family and it was implied she wanted to also distance herself from Japan.
The documentary was an eye opener. A Japanese Suicidologist also was interviewed. In Japan suicide is not looked as sacrilegious.

RIP Atsumi.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 04:27:20 PM »
Thanks SAP. Your explanation is making sense to me now.
JB

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 05:00:59 PM »
YW JB. CBC is still running that docu. It explains a lot and then raises more questions again. Some people who knew Atsumi, including her estranged brother, feel that she would  not do that and it seems to be they put their belief more onto the fact Atsumi bought a matching mug set before she vanished ... therefore she did not plan to disappear. She did have a male friend who was not interviewed.
For people interested in the psychology of suicide this is interesting. There are further explanations ... that I don't want to post ... which would suggest Atsumi was having a struggle in facets of her life.